76

Re: Skyfall....A Personal View...With NO Spoliers...

Napoleon Plural wrote:

Sigh... he raped Pussy Galore did he. Guess I'll have to watch that one again.

Yes, I made the assumption that Bond hadn't made been on any missions in the intervening years. Well, literally I guess he must have been, it's been what four years since the last one. But it's not an irrational assumption to make is it. And there's nothing in the script to say otherwise, no reference by M to any other adventures or missions.


I suppose Galore was free to leave when she was thrown and pinned down by an oaf.  Try reading the books.  In CR there is “And now he knew that she was profoundly, excitingly sensual, but that the conquest of her body, because of the central privacy in her, would each time have the sweet tang of rape."  Flemings Bond is not a boy scout.

It's irrational if  someone thinking outside the box makes for sniping rhetoric.

77

Re: Skyfall....A Personal View...With NO Spoliers...

Yeah, I've read the books mate.

So James Bond is a rapist. Now we know, everyone. 'Sweet tang of rape' is not rape, it's just suggestive of it. It's like saying the heroine of 50 Shades enjoys getting beaten up unawares, she doesn't. It's within a consensual context.

Anyone else have Bond down as a rapist? Thought not.

But odd that you should be a fan of him if you think he is.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

78

Re: Skyfall....A Personal View...With NO Spoliers...

Napoleon Plural wrote:

Yeah, I've read the books mate.

So James Bond is a rapist. Now we know, everyone. 'Sweet tang of rape' is not rape, it's just suggestive of it. It's like saying the heroine of 50 Shades enjoys getting beaten up unawares, she doesn't. It's within a consensual context.

Anyone else have Bond down as a rapist? Thought not.

But odd that you should be a fan of him if you think he is.

Good god what a shocking week.

Saville investigation reaches 400 lines of enquiry.

James Bond is a rapist.

Nap reads '50 shades'.

What is the world coming to?

'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
www.helpforheroes.org.uk
www.cancerresearchuk.org

79

Re: Skyfall....A Personal View...With NO Spoliers...

"Now then now then, As it happens you got in touch with Uncle Jim to protect and save you from a sinister fellow on a deserted island. Jim 'll Fix it for you to get handcuffed to a rock while two psychos compete to shoot a wee dram off your head.... but first I'm going to step into your shower.... (Yorkshire yodel) euugh euguiugh eudghhghg!"

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

80

Re: Skyfall....A Personal View...With NO Spoliers...

One can have watched the films and then read the books to find the character less appealing.  Glad your interpretation is the definitive truth and you can be glib and dismissive.  Enjoy your evening.

81

Re: Skyfall....A Personal View...With NO Spoliers...

Thanks, I will.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

82

Re: Skyfall....A Personal View...With NO Spoliers...

Napoleon Plural wrote:

Sigh... he raped Pussy Galore did he. Guess I'll have to watch that one again.

Yes, I made the assumption that Bond hadn't made been on any missions in the intervening years. Well, literally I guess he must have been, it's been what four years since the last one. But it's not an irrational assumption to make is it. And there's nothing in the script to say otherwise, no reference by M to any other adventures or missions.

It's implied by Mallory when he asks Bond why does'nt he stay dead that he has had a distinguished career.

83

Re: Skyfall....A Personal View...With NO Spoliers...

Oh, okay fair enough, I missed that. Though again, with the sort of film we're watching, to me it's not clear if he's referring to Craig's Bond or Bond generally as a generic action hero. In that sense, it makes sense Craig opining that he wouldn't mind filming Devil May Care, which shows Bond at the twilight of his career, cos tha seems to be where Bond is here.

Bit odd though, wouldn't you say? Craig's Bond... we totally miss him out in his prime. Blimey. I suppose we did with Brozzer though. his first film has him in the pts during Cold War, then 9 years later... what happened in between?   ajb007/amazed

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

84

Re: Skyfall....A Personal View...With NO Spoliers...

Napoleon Plural wrote:

Oh, okay fair enough, I missed that. Though again, with the sort of film we're watching, to me it's not clear if he's referring to Craig's Bond or Bond generally as a generic action hero. In that sense, it makes sense Craig opining that he wouldn't mind filming Devil May Care, which shows Bond at the twilight of his career, cos tha seems to be where Bond is here.

Bit odd though, wouldn't you say? Craig's Bond... we totally miss him out in his prime. Blimey. I suppose we did with Brozzer though. his first film has him in the pts during Cold War, then 9 years later... what happened in between?   ajb007/amazed

Trying to apply logical and consistent timelines to Bond movies is a recipe for madness my friend. Stay away. You know it makes sense.

85

Re: Skyfall....A Personal View...With NO Spoliers...

I am called Napoleon.   ajb007/lol

They're coming to take me away ha ha

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

86

Re: Skyfall....A Personal View...With NO Spoliers...

Napoleon Plural wrote:

Oh, okay fair enough, I missed that. Though again, with the sort of film we're watching, to me it's not clear if he's referring to Craig's Bond or Bond generally as a generic action hero. In that sense, it makes sense Craig opining that he wouldn't mind filming Devil May Care, which shows Bond at the twilight of his career, cos tha seems to be where Bond is here.

Bit odd though, wouldn't you say? Craig's Bond... we totally miss him out in his prime. Blimey. I suppose we did with Brozzer though. his first film has him in the pts during Cold War, then 9 years later... what happened in between?   ajb007/amazed

I have to admit, this is the bit that got me too... I mean the first 2 Bonds we see of Craig are 'him reaching 007 status' and as the movies are supposedly back to back... not much time in between... then suddenly we're catapulted to him needing serious time off because he's so 'jaded' from his roll as Bond... it is quite a stretch to go with that thinking....  ajb007/crap

And I'm seriously peed off that no smart line was said about Bond breaking into M's house again... she was emphatic about it in CR ajb007/lol

She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony

87

Re: Skyfall....A Personal View...With NO Spoliers...

Lexi wrote :

I mean the first 2 Bonds we see of Craig are 'him reaching 007 status' and as the movies are supposedly back to back... not much time in between... then suddenly we're catapulted to him needing serious time off because he's so 'jaded' from his roll as Bond... it is quite a stretch to go with that thinking....

Just with QOS only SOME have the insight to see the artistic relevance of this...................................
...........  Sadly I'm not one of them either.  ajb007/crap  ajb007/lol

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

88

Re: Skyfall....A Personal View...With NO Spoliers...

Although all this talk of Daniel looking Old. I can't understand it.
He looks not a day over 62.   ajb007/lol

I thought I'd be annoyed at the stubble as seen in the early Spy photos
from the set But I hardly noticed it, and of course it was needed later
for a certain scene with a certain female. Before going you know where,
with you know who. to do you know what., to you know who.

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

89

Re: Skyfall....A Personal View...With NO Spoliers...

Lexi wrote:

... then suddenly we're catapulted to him needing serious time off because he's so 'jaded' from his roll as Bond... it is quite a stretch to go with that thinking....  ajb007/crap

I got the impression he 'needed the time off' because M gave the order for Eve take the shot in the full knowledge that she would most probably hit Bond and that he was to be considered 'collateral damage'....he felt betrayed...but I agree that some time has passed since we last saw him...well...at least four years anyway  ajb007/tongue   ajb007/lol

YNWA: Justice For The 96

The Joy Of 6

90

Re: Skyfall....A Personal View...With NO Spoliers...

Istanbul Must of been full of film crews, Lately I've seen
Taken 2
  Argo
Skyfall

And all have scenes or most of the film set There, They
must of been tripping over each other.  ajb007/lol

On the time front as QOS starts 45 minutes after the end of Casino Royale.
Wouldn't it be Six years .  ajb007/bond

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

91

Re: Skyfall....A Personal View...With NO Spoliers...

Thunderpussy wrote:

On the time front as QOS starts 45 minutes after the end of Casino Royale.
Wouldn't it be Six years .  ajb007/bond

More than that, the Wildcats (not Lynx ) have not entered service yet so Skyfall must be set a few years in the future.

92

Re: Skyfall....A Personal View...With NO Spoliers...

Thunderpussy wrote:

On the time front as QOS starts 45 minutes after the end of Casino Royale.
Wouldn't it be Six years .  ajb007/bond

I think you may be right...  ajb007/embarrassed ...time for a lie down in a darkened room methinks !  ajb007/lol

YNWA: Justice For The 96

The Joy Of 6

93

Re: Skyfall....A Personal View...With NO Spoliers...

Sir Miles wrote :

I think you may be right...

It's sad when this sort of thing starts. "You've had a good run M "
Took me two goes to post this as even My Computer couldn't believe it.  ajb007/lol

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

94

Re: Skyfall....A Personal View...With NO Spoliers...

Saw it on opening day, and am about to see it for a second time in a little over an hour; decided to keep my powder dry until a second viewing before I wrote a review---and am purposefully not reading other reviews beforehand.  Back in a few hours, when I'll likely compose my thoughts over a freshly-made Vesper...and see what others think   ajb007/bond

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

95

Re: Skyfall....A Personal View...With NO Spoliers...

Sir Miles wrote:
Lexi wrote:

... then suddenly we're catapulted to him needing serious time off because he's so 'jaded' from his roll as Bond... it is quite a stretch to go with that thinking....  ajb007/crap

I got the impression he 'needed the time off' because M gave the order for Eve take the shot in the full knowledge that she would most probably hit Bond and that he was to be considered 'collateral damage'....he felt betrayed...but I agree that some time has passed since we last saw him...well...at least four years anyway  ajb007/tongue   ajb007/lol

Yes, I forgot that... and his feelings for Ronson

Spoiler the chap he had to leave behind

He must have realised that M ordered the shot... no matter what it meant.

I guess it wouldn't have been too remiss to have some sort of dialogue in the 'enjoying death' scenes to express this.

That is my only gripe with this movie, we are never in one place long enough to get a feel for the emotions. Another 45 minutes would have probably been a good idea  ajb007/wink

She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony

96

Re: Skyfall....A Personal View...With NO Spoliers...

Thunderpussy wrote:

Sir Miles wrote :

I think you may be right...

It's sad when this sort of thing starts. "You've had a good run M "
Took me two goes to post this as even My Computer couldn't believe it.  ajb007/lol

Yes..well...I'll be damned if I'll leave AJB in a worse state than when I found it...  ajb007/tongue

YNWA: Justice For The 96

The Joy Of 6

97

Re: Skyfall....A Personal View...With NO Spoliers...

Lexi wrote:

That is my only gripe with this movie, we are never in one place long enough to get a feel for the emotions. Another 45 minutes would have probably been a good idea  ajb007/wink

I quite agree, we chop and change quite a bit which doesn't lend itself to being able to connect with the character as much as we could - borrow some of the time from the end of the movie (which I think was a little drawn out) and put it to good use in letting us in a bit more to his emotions. Overall I enjoyed the movie, but I don't think I enjoyed it as muchas CR - I think this is because, in my opinion, we see a bit more of Bond's emotions and feelings in CR. Would liked to have got under the skin a bit more in SF.

98

Re: Skyfall....A Personal View...With NO Spoliers...

There was a great deal of things about the plot I did not understand.  I think this is why I couldn't enjoy "SKYFALL" in the end.

99

Re: Skyfall....A Personal View...With NO Spoliers...

I find it difficult to pass opinion on skyfall. I came out the theatre without a particularly strong opinion and perhaps that's what may cause it to fall down the ranks. Once the hype recedes we may get a goldeneye effect and see its popularity wane as time passes. When I watched cr it blew me away, same as when I saw gf, frwl and tswlm for the first time. I didn't get that feeling with skyfall. Too many nods to the old bond films shoehorned in too many poorly developed themes for my liking and overly long. It falls into my top 10 but not my top 5.

100

Re: Skyfall....A Personal View...With NO Spoliers...

Benjboi wrote:

I find it difficult to pass opinion on skyfall. I came out the theatre without a particularly strong opinion and perhaps that's what may cause it to fall down the ranks. Once the hype recedes we may get a goldeneye effect and see its popularity wane as time passes. When I watched cr it blew me away, same as when I saw gf, frwl and tswlm for the first time. I didn't get that feeling with skyfall. Too many nods to the old bond films shoehorned in too many poorly developed themes for my liking and overly long. It falls into my top 10 but not my top 5.


"SKYFALL" doesn't even make the top 15 on my list.