Pierce Brosnan Is Bond

DTReinsmaDTReinsma Orlando, FL, USAPosts: 81MI6 Agent
The pts in TWINE, especially the scene in the Swiss banker's office, is what Bond is all about to me. His portrayal is just awesome. I don't know why so many are down on him on this site.

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Hey- I LOVE Pierce!! The equal of Connery IMO!! Watch the scene in TND where he pours a shot of Vodka & waits for a firefight- I do not say this lightly.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • DTReinsmaDTReinsma Orlando, FL, USAPosts: 81MI6 Agent
    I am glad to hear some love for Pierce. I know what you mean about the scene in TND. I watched that one last night.
    DTReinsma wrote:
    I am glad to hear some love for Pierce. I know what you mean about the scene in TND. I watched that one last night.
    In real life Pierce lost his Wife to sickness- he had within him the ability to convey loss, and when he kisses Paris, I inevitably cry....
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    I liked Brosnan's Bond, and I loved that particular scene. Definitely one of his best (and TWINE is an underrated Bond film).
    DTReinsma wrote:
    The pts in TWINE, especially the scene in the Swiss banker's office, is what Bond is all about to me. His portrayal is just awesome. I don't know why so many are down on him on this site.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • DTReinsmaDTReinsma Orlando, FL, USAPosts: 81MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    In real life Pierce lost his Wife to sickness- he had within him the ability to convey loss, and when he kisses Paris, I inevitably cry....

You see this in his reaction after killing Elektra King, too.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    In an Interview Christopher Lee, who Knew Fleming said Pierce Brosnan
    was the closest to What Fleming had in mind for Bond. He got some
    Bad scripts and it was in the Days when the producers didn't let the actor
    have much say in the Movie.
    Daniel Craig is lucky in the fact that He at least can give some input into
    the Direction of the film.
    As for the flack PB gets for some of the one-liners, He hated them too and
    has said so many times.
    I enjoy him as Bond and still think in the first half of DAD he gives a great
    performance. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • don pdon p Posts: 589MI6 Agent
    goldeneye is one of the best recent bond films, anb pb is a close second to connery
  • PredatorPredator Posts: 790Chief of Staff
    Brosnan certainly had plenty of great Bond moments in his tenure and I will always have plenty of respect for his portrayal (note my avatar ...). I'm not so sure that many people are "down" on him here at AJB. Over the years I think most if not all have been very positive about him and perhaps on reflection he has garnered much more bouquets and less brickbats than Sir Rog.

His films didn't really match his suitability for the role however. I loved Goldeneye and TND, but they gradually became more cartoon-like and plastic as he went along. My hatred of DAD is well-known ... and I'm not going to go back over that all over again! Nevertheless, it wasn't PB's fault that it sucked quite so badly.
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    PB, good actor, nice guy and yes, he was let down by crap scripts in the end. GE and TWINE remain firm favourites with me.

imagine if he'd had the chance to work on a script like SF......
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    They're even more down on him on mi6-hq.com.

I think he lost faith in the role early on. And he never was able to rise above his material, a flaw when the material wasn't that good. He lobbied for name directors to step in and I think that irked Babs Broccoli, of course with the last two she's been all for that. I'm not convinced that name directors would have worked, however.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • BIG TAMBIG TAM Wrexham, North Wales, UK.Posts: 773MI6 Agent
    I've been a bit hard on Brosnan myself in the past. Having had another look at THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH I think my feelings were ill-judged. I'd even previously put him fifth on my list of Bond actors which in retrospect isn't justified. I'll have to revise that one for another thread.

Like Dalton, he appears to have yearned for more backstory. Unfortunately the times weren't right for him on that front. I'm sure given Craig's scripts he would have done a good job of delivering a mutli-faceted 007. Alas, he was ten years too early. But he can feel secure in the knowledge that he was the fanboys' favourite to play the role & secured very healthy box office ratings for the franchise.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    DTReinsma wrote:
    The pts in TWINE, especially the scene in the Swiss banker's office, is what Bond is all about to me. His portrayal is just awesome.

I agree 100% with you. I think one of the best Bond lines ever, is Bond telling the Swiss banker "I am giving you the opportunity to walk out with your life" after the banker offered Bond the chance to walk out with the money. The line was delivered cooly and matter-of-factly, just like it should have been.

I love PB.
    They're even more down on him on mi6-hq.com.

I think he lost faith in the role early on. And he never was able to rise above his material, a flaw when the material wasn't that good. He lobbied for name directors to step in and I think that irked Babs Broccoli, of course with the last two she's been all for that. I'm not convinced that name directors would have worked, however.

I always though that Lee Tamahori was supposed to be a "name" director?
    minigeff wrote:
    PB, good actor, nice guy and yes, he was let down by crap scripts in the end. GE and TWINE remain firm favourites with me.

imagine if he'd had the chance to work on a script like SF......

I'll let you know later on ... ;)
  • DutchfingerDutchfinger Holland With LovePosts: 1,240MI6 Agent
    Definitely agree on this... Very underrated. Had Daniel Craig done the four Brosnan movies, and had Pierce been the Bond now, he would have proberbly been called the best Bond of all time, and Craig would be rated a LOT lower...
    Better known as DutchBondFan on YouTube. My 007 movie reviews: Recapping 007
    YouTube channel Support my channel on Patreon Twitter Facebook fanpage
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    I share that opinion. That's one of the reasons the PTS for TWINE ranks as one of the best to me.
    DTReinsma wrote:
    The pts in TWINE, especially the scene in the Swiss banker's office, is what Bond is all about to me. His portrayal is just awesome.

I agree 100% with you. I think one of the best Bond lines ever, is Bond telling the Swiss banker "I am giving you the opportunity to walk out with your life" after the banker offered Bond the chance to walk out with the money. The line was delivered cooly and matter-of-factly, just like it should have been.

I love PB.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    I love PB.
    Maybe Pierce isn't a better Bond than Sean, but then neither is Sean better than Pierce IMO.
    Yeah, I like Brosnan that much.
  • BodieBodie Posts: 211MI6 Agent
    I love PB as Bond. He is my second favourite after Connery. He managed to perfectly combine the ruthlessness of Connery with the easy charm of Moore. None of the actors moved from charming to killer with the ease of Brosnan. Its a crying shame he went out on DAD.
    Bodie wrote:
    I love PB as Bond. He is my second favourite after Connery.
    He's my second favourite after Dalton; he & Connery share second place for me. :007)
  • Virgil37Virgil37 Posts: 1,212MI6 Agent
    Pierce is a good actor, who IMO had the misfortune of playing Bond at the wrong time. After Dalton´s seriousness they wanted the camp back, and the bigger, larger than life sets and the one liners, and the scripts grew increasingly silly...
    I think he would have been absolutely amazing had he been finally able to do TLD. That was his time and his chance, and it would have been fantastic. Just see "The Fourth Protocol" where he plays a ruthless soviet spy in 1986; he looks amazing at 33, he conveys danger, like Daniel Craig...That should have been his template for Bond. But he was just not lucky, and in every interview I see he subtly hints that he was never happy with his movies...In the new documentary "Everything or Nothing" he mocks his Bond, "ey, Brosnan should ride the tsunami!".

I agree his looks were right (dark hair, blue eyes, slim built, right height), although I could never see the "ruggedly handsome".
  • Powergod477098Powergod477098 Posts: 35MI6 Agent
    Guys what's your favorite scene from goldeneye?
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,294Chief of Staff
    Tell us what yours is, PG. Please discuss why you like it.
    Mine is the scene when bond is in the swimming pool and she runs into xeiena onatopp and they have a fight and bond reaches for his gun but xeniea stops him and she says you think you can hurt me and then bond gets up and xenia hits him in the back and flips him around and squeezes him between her thighs and he rams her against a wall and she says you think you can break me and then he gets very angry and starts raming her against the wall 4 times and then her assistant sees bond fighting her and goes in to hit bond and then bond puts xeiena on hot water and hits her assistant in the face with a bucket of water knocking him unconscious
    And I like goldeneye because it's my favorite bond movie I could watch goldeneye every single day and never get tired of watching it its just so much fun to watch it has great action and a great villan 006 an insanely hot bond girl xeiena and Boris he's funny
  • Quentin QuigleyQuentin Quigley Terminal One, Hamburg AirportPosts: 1,154MI6 Agent
    an insanely hot bond girl xeiena
    If you think Xenia is insanely hot, what are your thoughts on Natalya Fyodorovna Simmering Supernova?
    Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
  • ToTheRightToTheRight Posts: 314MI6 Agent
    Hard to pick one favorite scene from GOLDENEYE. I have a soft spot for that film. I do love Bond's thrashing of the guard aboard the Manticore. The film has several moments of Brosnan coolness.
  • AugustWalkerAugustWalker Posts: 880MI6 Agent
    I think the coolest scene by far is this 5 seconds of Orumov escaping with Natalya and this gigantic wall in the background. Suddenly Bond busts the tank through it with the Bond theme blasting.
    So cool.
    The name is Walker by the way.

IG: @thebondarchives
    Check it out, you won’t be disappointed :)
    {[] +1. Pure Bond.

(And IMHO the best moment in the score, too.)
  • Quentin QuigleyQuentin Quigley Terminal One, Hamburg AirportPosts: 1,154MI6 Agent
    I love the missile train, from the time Bond watches it slowly depart the depot, wheels squealing and all. That was the only train in the Brozza films, right? Whereas Craig's had four for four.
    Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Well, of course, outside Bond there's always....

dog.jpg

:D