Academy award nominations for Skyfall

Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
edited November 2012 in Skyfall - Bond 23 (2012)
I haven't seen anything written on this site concerning possible academy award nominations. Adele should be a lock for a best song. I figure Deakins will probably get nominated for best cinematography. He's an Academy favorite and the film looked beautiful. After that, the odds get slimmer. I could see Judy Dench getting nominated for best supporting actress based on very good perfomance + body of work + sympathy. Mendes and Bardem are long shots, although the academy likes them both. Bardem's performance may be seen as overly hammy. The idea of nominating a director of a Bond film for best director goes against the grain of academy prejudices. Newman may be nominated for the score, even though I wasn't overly impressed. He's been nominated ten times before, so the academy loves him. I wouldn't be completely surprised at a best picture nomination since up to ten films could be nominated. This would be based on very good film + generally excellent reviews + big box office + Bond at fifty + what the franchise has done for Hollywood over the years. So, I'm guessing three, maybe four nominations.

What do you think?

Comments

• Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    I think you're very much on target with your assumptions. Adele will get an Academy Award nod, as I think Judi Dench might and probably should for supporting actress. Neither Craig nor Bardem will get nominations, in part because while both are excellent actors, they did not do anything better than we've seen before. I agree that Roger Deakins will get an Oscar nomination, as will I think the folks who did the sound and possibly Tom Ford for his suits. A longshot -- and one I don't think is deserved -- is a nomination for the screenplay. Personally, I think it was underdeveloped, but casual Bond fans will probably see it as much deeper than it is.
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:
    I think you're very much on target with your assumptions. Adele will get an Academy Award nod, as I think Judi Dench might and probably should for supporting actress. Neither Craig nor Bardem will get nominations, in part because while both are excellent actors, they did not do anything better than we've seen before. I agree that Roger Deakins will get an Oscar nomination, as will I think the folks who did the sound and possibly Tom Ford for his suits. A longshot -- and one I don't think is deserved -- is a nomination for the screenplay. Personally, I think it was underdeveloped, but casual Bond fans will probably see it as much deeper than it is.

The movie was 2 1/2 hours long. It's obvious they cut stuff ("When you've dealt with Bond as long as I have, somewhere in the South China Sea is precise intelligence). It's just the problem of dealing with a plot-driven film and developing character at the same time.
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,774MI6 Agent
    I have a very dim view of the Oscars. Films that are very arty farty and appeal to a narrow demographic (Ie the Academy) seem to get the gongs, whereas films with wide market appeal and high production values (quality, not profit I hasten to add) often get ignored, and Sci Fi is persona no grata, except for the use of Visual and Sound effect technology. The Bond's seems to get the same treatment. Newman will prob be nominated even though the music was flat by Bond standards, and the cinematography was very good, so I agree it stands a slim chance.
    - Hopefully the BAFTA's will be a bit more sensible.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Gala Brand wrote:
    Gassy Man wrote:

The movie was 2 1/2 hours long. It's obvious they cut stuff ("When you've dealt with Bond as long as I have, somewhere in the South China Sea is precise intelligence). It's just the problem of dealing with a plot-driven film and developing character at the same time.
    Maybe. But there are many films that are plot-driven but still well-developed and rich with characters -- The Maltese Falcon, The Magnificent Seven, Guns of Navarone, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Miller's Crossing, and so forth. I don't think Skyfall made errors because of trying to stick to the plot so much as missed some opportunities, and that's more conceptual. It's why I think the script is underdeveloped.
  • Shatterhand67Shatterhand67 Safe HousePosts: 424MI6 Agent
    I agree with Adele being a lock for a nomination. As for the other ones...who knows? I suspect that the Lincoln movie coming out next week will figure rather heavily in the Oscar season...with Daniel Day Lewis bringing home some more hardware.
    "I musht be dreaming."
  • StrangewaysStrangeways London, UKPosts: 1,469MI6 Agent
    I seriously doubt whether Skyfall will get any Oscar nominations. The acedemy does not really like Bond. Maybe Adele, but I really don't think that anyone else will. Skyfall is fantastic, but not as good as CR. Although CR was nominated for ten BAFTAs it didn't do well at the Oscars.

Let's hope I am wrong.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I agree apart from Technical awards and Music Bond doesn't get a look in.
    Although I'd be suprised if Adele doesn't get a nomination.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Blood_StoneBlood_Stone Posts: 183MI6 Agent
    If Skyfall gets zero nominations for the Academy Awards, I am done with them.
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    I would be surprised if Skyfall was completely ignored. Like others have stated, nominations for Adele and Roger Deakins (Cinematography) are a distinct possibility.
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
    I forgot set design. Whoever was responsible for that has a good shot.
  • Luck and FateLuck and Fate Posts: 19MI6 Agent
    Gala Brand wrote:
    I forgot set design. Whoever was responsible for that has a good shot.

HA! Ken Adams has only been Nominated for 1 (ONE!!!!!!) Academy Award, and that was for The Spy Who Loved Me. Working on a Bond film is the kiss of death when it comes to the Oscars, and I don't see anything in Skyfall that's even half as good as Ken Adams sets designs.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    I have to agree - I think zero nominations.
    I seriously doubt whether Skyfall will get any Oscar nominations. The acedemy does not really like Bond. Maybe Adele, but I really don't think that anyone else will. Skyfall is fantastic, but not as good as CR. Although CR was nominated for ten BAFTAs it didn't do well at the Oscars.

Let's hope I am wrong.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    Deadline: Best picture consideration for Skyfall?
    http://www.deadline.com/2012/11/james-bond-academy-best-picture/
  • 96mn1296mn12 Posts: 632MI6 Agent
    Gala Brand wrote:
    Deadline: Best picture consideration for Skyfall?
    http://www.deadline.com/2012/11/james-bond-academy-best-picture/

I think Deakins will get his 10th nomination. Frankly the Adele song wont get nominated. Its not in the same league as a Trent Reznor or a Randy Newman.

Judi Dench, while she did an awesome work on it, has had better roles, so don't think she'll get a nod. Might be in the running but wont make the short list.
  • Virgil37Virgil37 Posts: 1,212MI6 Agent
    Adele will get a nomination, cinematography too, probably Judi Dench. And IMO, the franchise will get a nod from the industry by getting a best movie award nomination. It´s been 50 years, and James Bond is still current, alive, and making good movies and attracting audiences. Plus, the movie is really good. It will win one or two. But definitely it won´t be ignored.
    According to Entertainment Weekly, Skyfall is one of ten films in the running for a visual effects Oscar nomination. The visual effects branch of The Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences whittles down the list of contenders to a little over a dozen each year, then sets a so called "bake off" in which voters come to watch clips from each of the assembled films (this time on Jan 3) before selecting the final five nominees, revealed on Jan 10.

The "bake off" contenders this year are:

The Amazing Spider-Man
    Cloud Atlas
    The Dark Knight Rises
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
    John Carter
    Life of Pi
    The Avengers
    Prometheus
    Skyfall
    Snow White and the Huntsman

'Avengers,' 'Dark Knight,' 'Skyfall' qualify for Oscar visual effects nominations
    http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/11/29/batman-007-and-hobbits-visual-effects-oscars/
    Skyfall has been nominated in seven categories for the 17th annual Satellite Awards, which cover 31 film and TV categories. The winners be presented at a dinner on the 16th December at the Intercontinental Hotel in Century City, CA, USA.

The seven nominations are:
    Skyfall - Motion Picture
    Judi Dench for Actress in a Supporting Role
    Javier Bardem for Actor in a Supporting Role
    Thomas Newman - Original Score (Composer Film)
    Adele Atkins, Paul Epworth - Original Song (Title Performer, Writer(s), Film)
    Roger Deakins - Cinematography
    Steve Begg, Arundi Asregadoo, Andrew Whitehurst - Visual Effects

'Skyfall' nominated for seven Satellite Awards
    http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=10654&t=mi6&s=news
  • StrangewaysStrangeways London, UKPosts: 1,469MI6 Agent
    This is awesome! So pleased. At last we might see Bond scooping some serious awards.
    Sad that DC wasn't nominated though :(
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    DC not nominated and Newman gets a nod for the score?!

Did they watch the film?
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,702MI6 Agent
    Moore Than wrote:
    According to Entertainment Weekly, Skyfall is one of ten films in the running for a visual effects Oscar nomination. The visual effects branch of The Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences whittles down the list of contenders to a little over a dozen each year, then sets a so called "bake off" in which voters come to watch clips from each of the assembled films (this time on Jan 3) before selecting the final five nominees, revealed on Jan 10.

The "bake off" contenders this year are:

The Amazing Spider-Man
    Cloud Atlas
    The Dark Knight Rises
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
    John Carter
    Life of Pi
    The Avengers
    Prometheus
    Skyfall
    Snow White and the Huntsman

'Avengers,' 'Dark Knight,' 'Skyfall' qualify for Oscar visual effects nominations
    http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/11/29/batman-007-and-hobbits-visual-effects-oscars/

"John Carter" for Oscars? I would think that movie would do better at the Razzies!
    This is awesome! So pleased. At last we might see Bond scooping some serious awards.
    Sad that DC wasn't nominated though :(

Mendes wasn't nominated either and I figure he would get nominated before Craig since Skyfall is a different kind of thing for him.
    Whoops, no Best Director award for the Satellite awards. Obviously not auteurists.
    Skyfall has received it's first award from The Los Angeles Film Critics Association, Roger Deakins being honoured in the Best Cinematography category.

'Amour' and 'The Master' breakthrough at Los Angeles Film Critics awards
    http://www.examiner.com/article/amour-and-the-master-breakthrough-at-los-angeles-film-critics-awards
    The Broadcast Film Critics Association has unveiled its nominees for the 18th Annual Critics' Choice Movie Awards. The winners will be announced on the 10th January 2013.

Skyfall has seven nominations and they are as follows.

Javier Bardem - Best Supporting Actor
    Judi Dench - Best Supporting Actress
    Roger Deakins - Best Cinematography
    Skyfall - Best Action Movie
    Daniel Craig - Best Actor in an Action Movie
    Judi Dench - Best Actress in an Action Movie
    Adele/Skyfall - Best Song

Critics' Choice Awards 2013: Complete List of Nominations
    http://uk.eonline.com/news/370333/critics-choice-awards-2013-complete-list-of-nominations
    Adele's Skyfall title song is one of many that have been deemed eligible for an Oscar nomination by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences' music department. The nominations are officially announced on the 24th February 2013. The full list can be found at the link below.

Could an Oscar be next for Adele?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2246826/Adele-Oscar-nomination-Skyfall-deemed-eligible-Academy-Award-nod.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
    Skyfall has received recognition from the Screen Actors Guild with a Best Supporting Actor nomination for Javier Bardem. The 2013 Screen Actors Guild Awards will be presented at a Los Angeles ceremony on the 27th January 2013.

Dame Maggie Smith up for Screen Actors Guild awards
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20695358
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    I think Javier Bardem must be nominated for Best Supporting Actor and as AMPAS gave an Oscar to Heath Ledger for his Joker portrayal, they can't possible overlook Bardem on the basis of Silva being a bit campy or over the top. Bardem will probably only win if he dies in the meantime, but he certainly should get a nomination!
    edited December 2012
    Steven Spielberg's Lincoln led the way with seven nominations for the 70th Golden Globe Awards but only one for Skyfall, Adele for Best Original Song - Motion Picture. Judi Dench is nominated for Best Actress (Comedy or Musical) for her performance in The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

The full list of nominees.
    70th Golden Globe Awards Nominations Revealed
    http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/12/13/70th-golden-globe-awards-nominations-revealed?abthid=50c9f8dc13459c776e000057
    James Bond has won a prestigious award for his efforts in promoting the motor industry on film over the last 50 years. The Motor Industry Public Affairs Association presents its annual Chairman's Award to recognise an outstanding contribution to public relations. Accepting the award on behalf of EON Productions, Ben Collins, Stunt Driver for Skyfall said: "EON Productions has enjoyed a long and close relationship with the motor industry and Skyfall is the latest example of how vehicles represent a key element in the franchise. EON is delighted to receive this award from MIPAA and looks forward to more fast paced adventures ahead."

The FULL article.
    Top PR award for James Bond
    http://www.mipaa.co.uk/top-pr-award-for-james-bond/
  • L JonesL Jones Posts: 131MI6 Agent
    Moore Than wrote:
    Steven Spielberg's Lincoln led the way with seven nominations for the 70th Golden Globe Awards but only one for Skyfall, Adele for Best Original Song - Motion Picture. Judi Dench is nominated for Best Actress (Comedy or Musical) for her performance in The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

The full list of nominees.
    70th Golden Globe Awards Nominations Revealed
    http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/12/13/70th-golden-globe-awards-nominations-revealed?abthid=50c9f8dc13459c776e000057

I have no problems with that.