101

Re: observations on SKYFALL -- spoilers

Colonel Pinstripe wrote:
minigeff wrote:
Colonel Pinstripe wrote:

Your reply is predictably flippant. I guess that this is because you know when you are beaten by a superior argument. Then it seems you resort humour. I have learned this and won't make the mistake of engaging you in conversation again.

That sounds great when you read it out loud with a 'number 1' voice ajb007/lol

So come on oh great superior intelligence, what aspects of literacy bond would you like to be show by silver screen bond?

Or as you said

Yes, but you can still move with the times and be faithful to Fleming, such as the Dalton era did and the current Craig era is doing.

Do you feel that our current DC bond is portraying James Bond faithfully to fleming's character, in which case, wtf are you grumbling about?  ajb007/insane

I'm grumbling about why you haven't even read the "literacy" James Bond novels and yet you call yourself a true James Bond fan. You'd be the type of person who'd have two sardines in the house and then tell everybody you had fish for your supper.

Hmmm.

What constitutes a 'true James Bond fan'?

I may not have read any of fleming's novels, but I've probably had more involvement in the franchise than you've had wanks.

Last edited by minigeff (24th Jun 2013 21:02)

'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
www.helpforheroes.org.uk
www.cancerresearchuk.org

102

Re: observations on SKYFALL -- spoilers

Btw what is the difference between snake poison and snake venom?  ajb007/biggrin

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

103

Re: observations on SKYFALL -- spoilers

Bondtoys wrote:

Btw what is the difference between snake poison and snake venom?  ajb007/biggrin

You have to ingest poison for it to work.  Venom is injected into the tissues or blood stream.  You can swallow venom without effect unless you have open cuts in the mouth etc.

..................http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/darkcrown_1969/Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............

104

Re: observations on SKYFALL -- spoilers

I hate snakes - particularly the poisonous ones

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

105

Re: observations on SKYFALL -- spoilers

Bondtoys wrote:

I hate snakes - particularly the poisonous ones

You told me you like trouser snakes

'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
www.helpforheroes.org.uk
www.cancerresearchuk.org

106

Re: observations on SKYFALL -- spoilers

Popular opinion within the snake community is that you're a https://www.reference.com/pets-animals/male-chicken-c.  Although the Poof adders said they might do you after a pint or two.

..................http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/darkcrown_1969/Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............

107

Re: observations on SKYFALL -- spoilers

Colonel Pinstripe wrote:
minigeff wrote:
Colonel Pinstripe wrote:

Your reply is predictably flippant. I guess that this is because you know when you are beaten by a superior argument. Then it seems you resort humour. I have learned this and won't make the mistake of engaging you in conversation again.

That sounds great when you read it out loud with a 'number 1' voice ajb007/lol

So come on oh great superior intelligence, what aspects of literacy bond would you like to be show by silver screen bond?

Or as you said

Yes, but you can still move with the times and be faithful to Fleming, such as the Dalton era did and the current Craig era is doing.

Do you feel that our current DC bond is portraying James Bond faithfully to fleming's character, in which case, wtf are you grumbling about?  ajb007/insane

I'm grumbling about why you haven't even read the "literacy" James Bond novels and yet you call yourself a true James Bond fan. You'd be the type of person who'd have two sardines in the house and then tell everybody you had fish for your supper.

sorry, but I have to stand in minigeffs camp here as agent thunderpussy will back me up
I have just started to read my very first Bond novell
im 54 ,have the watches the clothes ,some of the made
  to measure , the food ,wine cigars ect ect
so I would consider myself a Bond fan too regardless of what books I have or havnt read but as ive said before we are all entitled to our opinion if we all agreed it would be very very boring ajb007/smile

By the way, did I tell you,  I was       "Mad"?

108

Re: observations on SKYFALL -- spoilers

ajb007/martini  Absolutely, always shaken. ( I've heard minigeff's Camp too )  ajb007/biggrin

You're right of course Many menbers of many different  levels of knowelege on Bond.
I've seen all the films many times, read the Books ( although not in a long time ) But
I'm NO expert, and I'm happy about it, as there is always something to find out.  ajb007/lol
  Luckily with AJB all you have to do is ask a question and a very nice man ( so not
Sir Miles  ajb007/tongue  ) will answer it, or point you in the right direction to find out.
   On the other hand although I love to read about other menbers collections, I have
very little, No watch or Aston Martin, Not even a Tom Ford suit.  But am I angry and
Bitter about it ?  ( well a little bit )  ajb007/lol
    So On AJB you can learn a lot, have some fun, enjoy all things Bond, and try not
to be too much of a Di*k, by trying to feel superior by try to make others feel inferior.  ajb007/crap
In My Book ( I was Silhouette's Body Double )  I point out that if you Like Bond, then you
have an opinion as valid as any expert on the subject.  ajb007/martini

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

109

Re: observations on SKYFALL -- spoilers

always shaken wrote:
Colonel Pinstripe wrote:
minigeff wrote:

That sounds great when you read it out loud with a 'number 1' voice ajb007/lol

So come on oh great superior intelligence, what aspects of literacy bond would you like to be show by silver screen bond?

Or as you said Do you feel that our current DC bond is portraying James Bond faithfully to fleming's character, in which case, wtf are you grumbling about?  ajb007/insane

I'm grumbling about why you haven't even read the "literacy" James Bond novels and yet you call yourself a true James Bond fan. You'd be the type of person who'd have two sardines in the house and then tell everybody you had fish for your supper.

sorry, but I have to stand in minigeffs camp here as agent thunderpussy will back me up
I have just started to read my very first Bond novell
im 54 ,have the watches the clothes ,some of the made
  to measure , the food ,wine cigars ect ect
so I would consider myself a Bond fan too regardless of what books I have or havnt read but as ive said before we are all entitled to our opinion if we all agreed it would be very very boring ajb007/smile

Indeed AS, variety is the spice of life after all.

I'm not going to be dragged into a top trumps of bond fanaticals, and longstanding members know me and what my forte in the bond world is.

Each unto their own, we all have our interests, and shouldn't belittle, patronise or bad mouth anyone who's interests don't perfectly align with our own.

Additionally, as members here we should all contribute and assist each other so we all get something out of our discussions. Remember people, a community is about putting in, as well as taking out.

Last edited by minigeff (24th Jun 2013 22:57)

'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
www.helpforheroes.org.uk
www.cancerresearchuk.org

110

Re: observations on SKYFALL -- spoilers

minigeoff wrote :

about putting in, as well as taking out.

   ajb007/lol

Admit it you wrote some of the "Carry On" scripts.

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

111

Re: observations on SKYFALL -- spoilers

Thunderpussy wrote:

minigeoff wrote :

about putting in, as well as taking out.

   ajb007/lol

Admit it you wrote some of the "Carry On" scripts.

Infamy infamy....

'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
www.helpforheroes.org.uk
www.cancerresearchuk.org

112

Re: observations on SKYFALL -- spoilers

Asp9mm wrote:

I like cheese.

Me too. But I haven't read any novels about cheese, so is my opinion still valid?

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

113

Re: observations on SKYFALL -- spoilers

minigeff wrote:
Colonel Pinstripe wrote:
minigeff wrote:

That sounds great when you read it out loud with a 'number 1' voice ajb007/lol

So come on oh great superior intelligence, what aspects of literacy bond would you like to be show by silver screen bond?

Or as you said Do you feel that our current DC bond is portraying James Bond faithfully to fleming's character, in which case, wtf are you grumbling about?  ajb007/insane

I'm grumbling about why you haven't even read the "literacy" James Bond novels and yet you call yourself a true James Bond fan. You'd be the type of person who'd have two sardines in the house and then tell everybody you had fish for your supper.

Hmmm.

What constitutes a 'true James Bond fan'?

I may not have read any of fleming's novels, but I've probably had more involvement in the franchise than you've had wanks.

Well, saying as your chief involvement with the films seems to have been with the truly appalling DAD, I think I'll stick to the Fleming purist camp all the same and thank you very much!

114

Re: observations on SKYFALL -- spoilers

Colonel Pinstripe wrote:
minigeff wrote:
Colonel Pinstripe wrote:

I'm grumbling about why you haven't even read the "literacy" James Bond novels and yet you call yourself a true James Bond fan. You'd be the type of person who'd have two sardines in the house and then tell everybody you had fish for your supper.

Hmmm.

What constitutes a 'true James Bond fan'?

I may not have read any of fleming's novels, but I've probably had more involvement in the franchise than you've had wanks.

Well, saying as your chief involvement with the films seems to have been with the truly appalling DAD, I think I'll stick to the Fleming purist camp all the same and thank you very much!

That's alright.

Course, when it came to DAD, it wasn't like the producer's came round to the props dept and asked us things like how poor gustav should meet his end, or if we had any great ideas for one liners like 'wow, theres a mouthful'. That was bob in costumes' idea.

Not wanting to blow my trumpet, i'll decline from being baited into reeling off my full cv to satisfy your curiousity. Suffice to say that I have been extremely lucky in life, and through various very kind and generous people, I've been able to be involved in the bond franchise a little more than others. I'm not bb's right hand man, and I'm not a dreaming kid sat at school, think of me as somewhere in between.

It's my interest and passion for bond films that makes me a bond fan. anyone here can lay claim to that. regardless of what books we've read, or not, what clothes we wear, what cars we drive and what watches we own, we're all fans of bond.

Your daft notion of being 'a true bond fan' just because you've read all the books is a bit blinkered. There's many aspects of being a fan, and any one makes us fanatical about the franchise.

Might I suggest that as you're a fleming purest, you stick solely to the original books and leave everyone else to enjoy their hobby in peace without risk of being labelled by your narrow minded 'wit'?

'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
www.helpforheroes.org.uk
www.cancerresearchuk.org

115

Re: observations on SKYFALL -- spoilers

I knew that Bob in costumes had a lot to answer for....he always struck me as shifty  with a bad line in puns ajb007/mad

YNWA: Justice For The 96

The Joy Of 6

116

Re: observations on SKYFALL -- spoilers

Blackleiter wrote:
DEFIANT 74205 wrote:
Charmed & Dangerous wrote:

I disagree. Ive read Fleming many times over and he oretty much makes Bond a misogynist as well a a romantic despite that Fleming was also a hopeless romantic and idolised some women in real life.

From Casino Royale:

"... And then there was this pest of a girl. He sighed. Women were for recreation. On a job, they got in the way and fogged things up with sex and hurt feelings and all the emotional baggage they carried around with them. One had to look out for them and take care of them".

The books are littered with Bond's thoughts on women and marriage, all in the same vein.

And don't even get started on race, have you read Live & Let Die? Or sexuality, Goldfinger and Thunderball? Women drivers, also in Thunderball?

Without labouring the point, they were written at a time when these views were widely held and, thank God, times have changed. It wouldn't be relevant any more to keep these aspects in the films. Unless you set every film in the 50s and make it a period drama like Mad Men. I for one would hate that, I want to see a modern, relevant Bond.

You have a fair point. Fleming's Bond is very much a misogynist. But what, exactly, is wrong with that, aside from being socially unacceptable these days? You're quite right in that the literary Bond had his misogynistic and racist thoughts exposed in the novels, but unless I'm very much mistaken, he rarely expresses them, which means that in the translation to cinema, he would keep his misogynistic and racist views to himself.

I want to see the films modernised - in that the producers create new stories, filmed in an environment surrounded by new technology. But I also think that the character - and all the main supporting characters who were created by Fleming - should not be materially different from that which was depicted in the novels, in appearance, behaviour and mannerisms.

In this day and age, being a misogynist and a racist is more than just "socially unacceptable", IMO. It would be downright stupid. Granted, back in the days of Bond's origin there was still a lot of misinformation and misguided viewpoints stemming from a number of factors, including more limited interaction among various races and cultures, governments that actually promoted and supported discrimination and segregation, the widespread notion that women couldn't handle certain jobs "reserved" for men, etc. But if the Bond films are going to take place in the present day, wouldn't Bond have to be a bit of a moron to still cling to those outdated and widely discredited viewpoints? I'm not saying there aren't individuals who still harbor those views even today, but those people tend to be morons. Bond is many things, but he's not stupid.

I'd agree that in the real world, being a sexist, racist mysogynist doesn't go down too well. But James Bond isn't real, he's a fictional character created by Fleming. I do not believe that by supporting keeping the character as he was written means that I'm condoning those views - and likewise, I do not believe that EON making a film with that character as he was written means that they endorse those views.

I didn't like Judi Dench's M partly because she is a woman. This is not because I believe a woman cannot be the head of the British Secret Service, but because M wasn't written as a woman. M isn't just the head of the British Secret Service, he is the man named Sir Miles Messervy, who heads the British Secret Service according to the Fleming novels.

Colonel Pinstripe wrote:

Yes, but you can still move with the times and be faithful to Fleming, such as the Dalton era did and the current Craig era is doing. I think you misunderstand my point here. Of course Bond had to change with the times and be modernised in order to survive, but I was pointing out that fidelity to Fleming is not the death knell to the Eon Bond film series many had long predeicted it would be. Look at Skyfall for heaven's sake! It took much from Fleming's latter Bond novels YOLT and TMWTGG. Don't try to better yourself or read about the character's origins in Fleming. You'll surely soon learn that Fleming's Bond is not as black and white as you paint him here. Dink and the "man talk" arse-slap did not come from Fleming (the same with the "fetch my shoes" line from Dr. No that you reference) - that character doesn't even appear in the Goldfinger novel. Chalk that doubt to the scriptwriters Richard Maibaum and Paul Dehn.

I find it astounding (though not very surprising) that you have not tread a page of Fleming even out of curiosity.  You might learn actually something. Heaven forbid that would happen.

Well said. I'm with you on this.

minigeff wrote:

So come on oh great superior intelligence, what aspects of literacy bond would you like to be show by silver screen bond?

All of it. Warts and all.

"Watch the birdie, you bastard!"

Favourite Bond films list

117

Re: observations on SKYFALL -- spoilers

http://s9.postimg.cc/4lo4swo3v/creepy_kids_with_glowing_eyes_carpenters_village.jpg

Followers of the One True Fleming.    ajb007/bond
  and a word from the Captain.    ajb007/lol


http://s9.postimg.cc/3wsrwmnez/Picard_shenanigans_by_bthauronite.jpg

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

118

Re: observations on SKYFALL -- spoilers

minigeff wrote:
Colonel Pinstripe wrote:
minigeff wrote:

Hmmm.

What constitutes a 'true James Bond fan'?

I may not have read any of fleming's novels, but I've probably had more involvement in the franchise than you've had wanks.

Well, saying as your chief involvement with the films seems to have been with the truly appalling DAD, I think I'll stick to the Fleming purist camp all the same and thank you very much!

That's alright.

Course, when it came to DAD, it wasn't like the producer's came round to the props dept and asked us things like how poor gustav should meet his end, or if we had any great ideas for one liners like 'wow, theres a mouthful'. That was bob in costumes' idea.

Not wanting to blow my trumpet, i'll decline from being baited into reeling off my full cv to satisfy your curiousity. Suffice to say that I have been extremely lucky in life, and through various very kind and generous people, I've been able to be involved in the bond franchise a little more than others. I'm not bb's right hand man, and I'm not a dreaming kid sat at school, think of me as somewhere in between.

It's my interest and passion for bond films that makes me a bond fan. anyone here can lay claim to that. regardless of what books we've read, or not, what clothes we wear, what cars we drive and what watches we own, we're all fans of bond.

Your daft notion of being 'a true bond fan' just because you've read all the books is a bit blinkered. There's many aspects of being a fan, and any one makes us fanatical about the franchise.

Might I suggest that as you're a fleming purest, you stick solely to the original books and leave everyone else to enjoy their hobby in peace without risk of being labelled by your narrow minded 'wit'?

Well, firstly your own wit is rather crude in its own way, from what I've seen.

Second, I'm truly sorry if I came across a tad snobbish there. I don't mean any harm to you or those that follow you on here. I guess we all come to Bond from different approaches and we consider ourselves fans in one way or another. I can't nor would I want to take qaway from you your involvement with the Bond films - you obviously have a talent and I respect you for that. I love the filmns too, for what's it's worth, but DAD is a bad word for me, sorry! I wasn't really getting at you there at all, so sorry if I crossed wires with you. This forum is obviously big enough for both of us and a lot more besides. Peace.

119

Re: observations on SKYFALL -- spoilers

Hey, I worked on DAD, doesn't mean I think it's the best bond film. In fact a few people I worked with thought things were a bit daft, like a big baddy space laser etc.

Anyway, at least we agree on the notion that in one way or another, we're all bond fans here.

I can see some people have this annoyance that the screen bond doesn't portray fleming's character totally accurately. As far as bond being a sexist and mysogynist racist..... this just wouldn't and couldn't and shouldn't fly.

At the end of it, bond is meant to be our hero, admired by the gents and swooned after by the ladies. Being sexist, racist or a misogynist is not socially acceptable, or likeable. People can't say you can get away with him being these things due to him being fictional. That's just codcrap. I mean, could you imagine what an arsehole bond would be if he were these outdated and backward thinking things?

Bond can be hard nosed, cold, ruthless, heavy handed, etc but you could never have him making racist comments, or treating women like crap.

If people want bond on screen to be portrayed faithfully to fleming's character then I suggest the film makers concentrate on the more likeable and acceptable points, which I think DC already does a great job at.

'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
www.helpforheroes.org.uk
www.cancerresearchuk.org

120

Re: observations on SKYFALL -- spoilers

Well fair enough. And, yes, Craig does a very good job of updating Fleming. I wouldn't disagree with you on that one.

121

Re: observations on SKYFALL -- spoilers

minigeff wrote:

Might I suggest that as you're a fleming purest, you stick solely to the original books and leave everyone else to enjoy their hobby in peace without risk of being labelled by your narrow minded 'wit'?

I second that! ajb007/bond

"Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."

122

Re: observations on SKYFALL -- spoilers

DEFIANT 74205 wrote:
Blackleiter wrote:
DEFIANT 74205 wrote:

You have a fair point. Fleming's Bond is very much a misogynist. But what, exactly, is wrong with that, aside from being socially unacceptable these days? You're quite right in that the literary Bond had his misogynistic and racist thoughts exposed in the novels, but unless I'm very much mistaken, he rarely expresses them, which means that in the translation to cinema, he would keep his misogynistic and racist views to himself.

I want to see the films modernised - in that the producers create new stories, filmed in an environment surrounded by new technology. But I also think that the character - and all the main supporting characters who were created by Fleming - should not be materially different from that which was depicted in the novels, in appearance, behaviour and mannerisms.

In this day and age, being a misogynist and a racist is more than just "socially unacceptable", IMO. It would be downright stupid. Granted, back in the days of Bond's origin there was still a lot of misinformation and misguided viewpoints stemming from a number of factors, including more limited interaction among various races and cultures, governments that actually promoted and supported discrimination and segregation, the widespread notion that women couldn't handle certain jobs "reserved" for men, etc. But if the Bond films are going to take place in the present day, wouldn't Bond have to be a bit of a moron to still cling to those outdated and widely discredited viewpoints? I'm not saying there aren't individuals who still harbor those views even today, but those people tend to be morons. Bond is many things, but he's not stupid.

I'd agree that in the real world, being a sexist, racist mysogynist doesn't go down too well. But James Bond isn't real, he's a fictional character created by Fleming. I do not believe that by supporting keeping the character as he was written means that I'm condoning those views - and likewise, I do not believe that EON making a film with that character as he was written means that they endorse those views.

I didn't like Judi Dench's M partly because she is a woman. This is not because I believe a woman cannot be the head of the British Secret Service, but because M wasn't written as a woman. M isn't just the head of the British Secret Service, he is the man named Sir Miles Messervy, who heads the British Secret Service according to the Fleming novels.

Colonel Pinstripe wrote:

Yes, but you can still move with the times and be faithful to Fleming, such as the Dalton era did and the current Craig era is doing. I think you misunderstand my point here. Of course Bond had to change with the times and be modernised in order to survive, but I was pointing out that fidelity to Fleming is not the death knell to the Eon Bond film series many had long predeicted it would be. Look at Skyfall for heaven's sake! It took much from Fleming's latter Bond novels YOLT and TMWTGG. Don't try to better yourself or read about the character's origins in Fleming. You'll surely soon learn that Fleming's Bond is not as black and white as you paint him here. Dink and the "man talk" arse-slap did not come from Fleming (the same with the "fetch my shoes" line from Dr. No that you reference) - that character doesn't even appear in the Goldfinger novel. Chalk that doubt to the scriptwriters Richard Maibaum and Paul Dehn.

I find it astounding (though not very surprising) that you have not tread a page of Fleming even out of curiosity.  You might learn actually something. Heaven forbid that would happen.

Well said. I'm with you on this.

minigeff wrote:

So come on oh great superior intelligence, what aspects of literacy bond would you like to be show by silver screen bond?

All of it. Warts and all.

I guess I have trouble with the notion that everything about Bond and his world in film has to be the same as written by Fleming over 50 years ago. That would make sense to me if the Bond films were period pieces, but they're not. We can have the essence of Bond and still adapt the character (and his surroundings) to fit the modern world. I submit that, fictional character or not, in today's world it would be ludicrous to depict Bond to be as racist and as sexist as he sometimes appears in the novels. The character of James Bond is a well-travelled, intelligent, sophisticated man of the world who should have the wherewithall to realize that those outmoded views should have no place in the 21st century. I am not suggesting that if one wants those attributes to continue to be a part of Bond because they existed in the novels, then it means one endorses those views. But I do believe it does the James Bond character a disservice to suggest that he would still cling to such primitive views as if he has learned nothing over the years. Perhaps my view on this is heavily influenced by the fact that I believe not all idiots are racists, all racists are most certainly idiots. Clearly Bond is not an idiot.

"Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."

123

Re: observations on SKYFALL -- spoilers

minigeff wrote:

If people want bond on screen to be portrayed faithfully to fleming's character then I suggest the film makers concentrate on the more likeable and acceptable points, which I think DC already does a great job at.

What exactly are the characteristics of Bond that would make him "likeable" as a person? Hard nosed? Ruthlessness? Heavy-handedness?

The point is that Bond isn't a very likeable person, people like him because he's perceived to be the "good guy", but as quoted in the novella The Spy Who Loved Me,

The top gangsters, the top FBI operatives, the top spies nd the top counter-spies are cold-hearted, cold-blooded, ruthless, tough killers, Miss Michel. Yes, even the "friends" as opposed to the "enemies". They have to be. They wouldn't survive if they weren't.

There's little doubt in my mind that Fleming was describing the person James Bond is - the man who is a lonely assassin, the man who has no friends and who can't sustain a relationship, the man who is losing his humanity. So what, exactly, is likeable about Bond the person?

Bond the character, on the other hand, is a character that I've come to love through the Fleming novels precisely because of what he is - a cold-blooded, cold-hearted, ruthless, tough killer, a "person" who I'd neither like to befriend nor make an enemy of, but a "person" who I admire because he does the jobs that I don't have the guts to do.

Blackleiter wrote:

I guess I have trouble with the notion that everything about Bond and his world in film has to be the same as written by Fleming over 50 years ago. That would make sense to me if the Bond films were period pieces, but they're not. We can have the essence of Bond and still adapt the character (and his surroundings) to fit the modern world. I submit that, fictional character or not, in today's world it would be ludicrous to depict Bond to be as racist and as sexist as he sometimes appears in the novels. The character of James Bond is a well-travelled, intelligent, sophisticated man of the world who should have the wherewithall to realize that those outmoded views should have no place in the 21st century. I am not suggesting that if one wants those attributes to continue to be a part of Bond because they existed in the novels, then it means one endorses those views. But I do believe it does the James Bond character a disservice to suggest that he would still cling to such primitive views as if he has learned nothing over the years. Perhaps my view on this is heavily influenced by the fact that I believe not all idiots are racists, all racists are most certainly idiots. Clearly Bond is not an idiot.

That's a fair point. No, I don't think James Bond is an idiot. I do agree that the films should be modernised in that the storylines evolve over time, and the character is surrounded by new environments and new technology, but I do not believe the essence of the James Bond persona should be changed one iota. James Bond is not a hero, he is not a person to aspire to be, unless one is a cold-hearted killer himself, so the fact that he has a few vices and traits which makes him ... "not fit in", for want of a better phrase ... isn't fatal to the character, in my view. He may be, according to Judi Dench's M in Goldeneye, a "sexist, misogynist dinosaur, a relic of the cold war", but he's still James Bond, the best 00 agent that they've got, so they accept him for who he is because of what he does for them, and so, I submit, should we.

"Watch the birdie, you bastard!"

Favourite Bond films list