26

Re: Future Bond locations

I think Bond movies should show the audience places they haven't seen before. For that reason they should stay away from Venice/northern Italy, Turkey, Austria/Switzerland and  Jamaica for a while. Places that we see very often in other movies, such as New Zealand and Washington DC should be avoided. Someplace new for the audience like the Chinese location I posted is the right way to go.

27

Re: Future Bond locations

James Suzuki wrote:

I guess I just want him to come here ajb007/smile
Little bias.
Nothing wrong with shaping it up a bit. I mean, a lot of Dr No is Bond in an island, using his wits.
They could do like an Oceanic Bond Film. With Bond following a villain from the Desert outback of Australia, to a crocodile infested river in Darwin, to snow in Queenstown, and a Huge Mansion in New Zealand. Casino in Wellington? Hot pools in Roturua?

During pre-filming of spectre. DC was down in new Zealand, he reportedly was scouting out locations and used a local gym there. He also scouted out morrocco with his friend a fellow actor mark strong, who is a brilliant actor and I think should appear in the bond franchise at some point.

It was either that.....or the priesthood

28

Re: Future Bond locations

James Suzuki wrote:

I guess I just want him to come here ajb007/smile
Little bias.
Nothing wrong with shaping it up a bit. I mean, a lot of Dr No is Bond in an island, using his wits.
They could do like an Oceanic Bond Film. With Bond following a villain from the Desert outback of Australia, to a crocodile infested river in Darwin, to snow in Queenstown, and a Huge Mansion in New Zealand. Casino in Wellington? Hot pools in Roturua?

During pre-filming of spectre. DC was down in new Zealand, he reportedly was scouting out locations and used a local gym there. He also scouted out morrocco with his friend a fellow actor mark strong, who is a brilliant actor and I think should appear in the bond franchise at some point.

It was either that.....or the priesthood

29

Re: Future Bond locations

What  about a commando raid on Mehrangarh Fort, Jodhpur in India? That would be something amazing the audience has nvers eeen before  ajb007/bond

http://www.maharajas-express-india.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/mehrangarh-fort.jpg

30

Re: Future Bond locations

Number24 wrote:

What  about a commando raid on Mehrangarh Fort, Jodhpur in India? That would be something amazing the audience has nvers eeen before  ajb007/bond

http://www.maharajas-express-india.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/mehrangarh-fort.jpg

Wouldn't that be very similar to the raid on the Monsoon Palace, just on a larger scale?

31

Re: Future Bond locations

MilleniumForce wrote:

There are a couple of locations I think would look amazing in a Bond film.

- The Catacombs, Paris - maybe a foot chase scene leading into here
- The salt pains in Botswana - there are lttle Islands in this, maybe a villain lair on one of them
- Euro tunnel shuttle - maybe for a good fight scene in between the cars on the train
- American Boardwalk park - again another setting for a good fight scene

For which see John Gardner's Death is Forever (1992) of course.

Writer/Director @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
Twitter: @Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
"The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

32

Re: Future Bond locations

Silhouette Man wrote:
MilleniumForce wrote:

There are a couple of locations I think would look amazing in a Bond film.

- The Catacombs, Paris - maybe a foot chase scene leading into here
- The salt pains in Botswana - there are lttle Islands in this, maybe a villain lair on one of them
- Euro tunnel shuttle - maybe for a good fight scene in between the cars on the train
- American Boardwalk park - again another setting for a good fight scene

For which see John Gardner's Death is Forever (1992) of course.

After seeing that dialogue and torture scene lifted from Colonel Sun, I won't be surprised if we saw a lot more things taken from Continuation Novels.

“The scent and smoke and sweat of a casino are nauseating at three in the morning. "
-Casino Royale, Ian Fleming

33

Re: Future Bond locations

Chriscoop wrote:
James Suzuki wrote:

I guess I just want him to come here ajb007/smile
Little bias.
Nothing wrong with shaping it up a bit. I mean, a lot of Dr No is Bond in an island, using his wits.
They could do like an Oceanic Bond Film. With Bond following a villain from the Desert outback of Australia, to a crocodile infested river in Darwin, to snow in Queenstown, and a Huge Mansion in New Zealand. Casino in Wellington? Hot pools in Roturua?

During pre-filming of spectre. DC was down in new Zealand, he reportedly was scouting out locations and used a local gym there. He also scouted out morrocco with his friend a fellow actor mark strong, who is a brilliant actor and I think should appear in the bond franchise at some point.

Be interesting to hear ideas he came up with..

New Zealand is too far from anywhere though....

1. For Your Eyes Only      2. The Living Daylights    3 From Russia with Love  4. Casino Royale  5. OHMSS  6. Skyfall

34

Re: Future Bond locations

Matt S wrote:
Number24 wrote:

What  about a commando raid on Mehrangarh Fort, Jodhpur in India? That would be something amazing the audience has nvers eeen before  ajb007/bond

http://www.maharajas-express-india.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/mehrangarh-fort.jpg

Wouldn't that be very similar to the raid on the Monsoon Palace, just on a larger scale?


It might, but OP was the oposite of gritty and the women attacking that palace were hardly commandoes. Perhaps a fortress in some other part of the world would be better to escape that link to OP, but my point was that Bond locations should be exotic and unusual.

35

Re: Future Bond locations

My key locations for The Death Collector (if the first draft were mine to write) would be New York City and Japan  ajb007/cool  This would be Bond #26  ajb007/wink

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

36

Re: Future Bond locations

Loeffelholz wrote:

My key locations for The Death Collector (if the first draft were mine to write) would be New York City and Japan  ajb007/cool  This would be Bond #26  ajb007/wink

Every other film is produced in New York City. Lets try for something different.

1. For Your Eyes Only      2. The Living Daylights    3 From Russia with Love  4. Casino Royale  5. OHMSS  6. Skyfall

37

Re: Future Bond locations

broadshoulder wrote:
Loeffelholz wrote:

My key locations for The Death Collector (if the first draft were mine to write) would be New York City and Japan  ajb007/cool  This would be Bond #26  ajb007/wink

Every other film is produced in New York City. Lets try for something different.

Bond has been there...once? In 24 films thus far? I'm not sure that 'every other film' is quite accurate...but let's say that's true. Every other film made today happens in NYC. I daresay Bond can do it distinctively? I can envision things not seen there yet, particularly an action set piece I'll surely use myself (albeit retro'd to a period setting) for one of my own stories. Bond has managed to repeat himself across the globe,  ajb007/rolleyes regardless of geographical location, and IMO it would be a shame to just concede the entire NYC metropolitan area simply because a couple of Bond's children have played there since 1973.

However, if this thread can only be about terra incognita for Bond, and rarely seen elsewhere in cinema...I'd go to Antarctica, Norway (hello, Number 24!  ajb007/martini  ), the big island of Hawaii...or the moon  ajb007/tongue

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

38

Re: Future Bond locations

Loeffelholz wrote:
broadshoulder wrote:
Loeffelholz wrote:

My key locations for The Death Collector (if the first draft were mine to write) would be New York City and Japan  ajb007/cool  This would be Bond #26  ajb007/wink

Every other film is produced in New York City. Lets try for something different.

Bond has been there...once? In 24 films thus far? I'm not sure that 'every other film' is quite accurate...but let's say that's true. Every other film made today happens in NYC. I daresay Bond can do it distinctively? I can envision things not seen there yet, particularly an action set piece I'll surely use myself (albeit retro'd to a period setting) for one of my own stories. Bond has managed to repeat himself across the globe,  ajb007/rolleyes regardless of geographical location, and IMO it would be a shame to just concede the entire NYC metropolitan area simply because a couple of Bond's children have played there since 1973.

However, if this thread can only be about terra incognita for Bond, and rarely seen elsewhere in cinema...I'd go to Antarctica, Norway (hello, Number 24!  ajb007/martini  ), the big island of Hawaii...or the moon  ajb007/tongue

Sorr,y but pretty much every film is based there. Or Los Angeles

Interestingly the more interesting Bondian locations are away from these metropolitan area. In New York we had the Harlem aspect? An interesting area? It showed the black aspect of New York. The white man enters a black mans world. Which was one of the features of the book. Another trip around Central Park in a horsecarriage just wouldn't work. Plenty of films have covered this already..

More interesting are the locations used for America? Who would have thought Fort Knox, Kentucky would make such an interesting location. Also Key West and even Miami in all its guises. Also the voodoo of New Orleans...

Last edited by broadshoulder (20th Jan 2016 08:03)

1. For Your Eyes Only      2. The Living Daylights    3 From Russia with Love  4. Casino Royale  5. OHMSS  6. Skyfall

39

Re: Future Bond locations

I am familiar with the film industry, actually, and I'm aware of where things are done, but I also know that many other places are used these days for tax incentive reasons, etc. I will only repeat that there are more things to do in NYC than have been seen, particularly in Bond, and there are also specific plot reasons to shoot in such an international hub. Obviously, I wouldn't go near anywhere used in LALD, nor would I bow to such a cliché as a horse-drawn carriage. It's a big place with many things to see and do.

Mind, I'm not giving up what I would do for NYC, but I assure you it hasn't been done in Bond, nor anywhere else for that matter, and IMO the NYC skyline (particularly the modern era one) hasn't ever been used effectively by Eon.

So we disagree  ajb007/smile

Last edited by Loeffelholz (20th Jan 2016 09:10)

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

40

Re: Future Bond locations

Loeffelholz wrote:
broadshoulder wrote:
Loeffelholz wrote:

My key locations for The Death Collector (if the first draft were mine to write) would be New York City and Japan  ajb007/cool  This would be Bond #26  ajb007/wink

Every other film is produced in New York City. Lets try for something different.

Bond has been there...once? In 24 films thus far? I'm not sure that 'every other film' is quite accurate...but let's say that's true. Every other film made today happens in NYC. I daresay Bond can do it distinctively? I can envision things not seen there yet, particularly an action set piece I'll surely use myself (albeit retro'd to a period setting) for one of my own stories. Bond has managed to repeat himself across the globe,  ajb007/rolleyes regardless of geographical location, and IMO it would be a shame to just concede the entire NYC metropolitan area simply because a couple of Bond's children have played there since 1973.

However, if this thread can only be about terra incognita for Bond, and rarely seen elsewhere in cinema...I'd go to Antarctica, Norway (hello, Number 24!  ajb007/martini  ), the big island of Hawaii...or the moon  ajb007/tongue

Hallo, Loeffelholz  ajb007/smile   You do have a point. While I think at least one of the locations in a Bond movie should be somewhere new to the audience, there shouldn't and couldn't be a an absolute ban on more standard movie locations. but this requires top-notch writers, DoP's and directors to show the locations in a new light. I have never seen Rome or London shot quite like it was done in SPECTRE, and that made it all OK.

41

Re: Future Bond locations

I think cities such as New York, and London can be used over again as their size and diversity make that possible, also it's possible to show areas of those places that are never really seen in films, Obviously bond is located in London, but there exists an Anglo American connection which hasn't been explored in Daniel Craigs films, I would love a return of Feli Leiter, played by the excellent Jeffrey Wright of course. I also think it strange Bond hasn't been to Australia or Canada?  the UK not only share a monarch but also at times military resources too.

It was either that.....or the priesthood

42

Re: Future Bond locations

I live in New York, and I have a hard time imagining what Bond could do with it that would be unique. It really seems like New York is the most popular place for films to take place, even more than Los Angeles now.

There are great, unique cities that aren't touched much in film, like Sydney or Cape Town. And there's more to do in the countries those cities are in as well. Bond used to always take us somewhere new, and there are still new, exciting places in the world.

43

Re: Future Bond locations

Matt S wrote:

I live in New York, and I have a hard time imagining what Bond could do with it that would be unique. It really seems like New York is the most popular place for films to take place, even more than Los Angeles now.

There are great, unique cities that aren't touched much in film, like Sydney or Cape Town. And there's more to do in the countries those cities are in as well. Bond used to always take us somewhere new, and there are still new, exciting places in the world.

Actually yes - Buenos Aires could be covered in a Bond film. Personally I'd like to see Cartagena in Colombia in a Bond film...

1. For Your Eyes Only      2. The Living Daylights    3 From Russia with Love  4. Casino Royale  5. OHMSS  6. Skyfall

44

Re: Future Bond locations

Matt S wrote:

I live in New York, and I have a hard time imagining what Bond could do with it that would be unique. It really seems like New York is the most popular place for films to take place, even more than Los Angeles now.

There are great, unique cities that aren't touched much in film, like Sydney or Cape Town. And there's more to do in the countries those cities are in as well. Bond used to always take us somewhere new, and there are still new, exciting places in the world.

I agree to a point matt, but during a two hour film bond can take us to many different locations, it would be odd IMHO if some of them were not major cities, I think new York must be one of the most filmed in cities in the world, but still a fantastic place for bond to visit. I think the middle east must also be in the offing in the future, as how long can bond ignore the isis / jihadist issue? Or thus that too much of a political subject for a bond theme?

It was either that.....or the priesthood

45

Re: Future Bond locations

broadshoulder wrote:
Matt S wrote:

I live in New York, and I have a hard time imagining what Bond could do with it that would be unique. It really seems like New York is the most popular place for films to take place, even more than Los Angeles now.

There are great, unique cities that aren't touched much in film, like Sydney or Cape Town. And there's more to do in the countries those cities are in as well. Bond used to always take us somewhere new, and there are still new, exciting places in the world.

Actually yes - Buenos Aires could be covered in a Bond film. Personally I'd like to see Cartagena in Colombia in a Bond film...

Excellent choices!

46

Re: Future Bond locations

Chriscoop wrote:
Matt S wrote:

I live in New York, and I have a hard time imagining what Bond could do with it that would be unique. It really seems like New York is the most popular place for films to take place, even more than Los Angeles now.

There are great, unique cities that aren't touched much in film, like Sydney or Cape Town. And there's more to do in the countries those cities are in as well. Bond used to always take us somewhere new, and there are still new, exciting places in the world.

I agree to a point matt, but during a two hour film bond can take us to many different locations, it would be odd IMHO if some of them were not major cities, I think new York must be one of the most filmed in cities in the world, but still a fantastic place for bond to visit. I think the middle east must also be in the offing in the future, as how long can bond ignore the isis / jihadist issue? Or thus that too much of a political subject for a bond theme?

But it appears in most Hollywood films?

And to be honest Jordan and Egypt are probably non-goers due to whats going on over there. So probably is Turkey...

1. For Your Eyes Only      2. The Living Daylights    3 From Russia with Love  4. Casino Royale  5. OHMSS  6. Skyfall

47

Re: Future Bond locations

There are still plenty of middle eastern or even middle eastern esque places, I'm not suggesting bond sticks to the old places as a big appeal for me is the changing locations and new places, I'm just of the opinion that it would be odd given the nature of bonds trade not to include these cities.

It was either that.....or the priesthood

48

Re: Future Bond locations

After the many of the restrictions on Iran has been lifted, many posibilities open up. Here is the Arg-e Bam fortress:

http://www.hotelclub.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/arg-e-bam.jpg

49

Re: Future Bond locations

I think Norway deserves a chance.  ajb007/smile  ajb007/martini

Writer/Director @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
Twitter: @Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
"The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

50

Re: Future Bond locations

Number24 wrote:

After the many of the restrictions on Iran has been lifted, many posibilities open up. Here is the Arg-e Bam fortress:

http://www.hotelclub.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/arg-e-bam.jpg

That's sadly not what it looks like now.