Re: For or Against Adele Title Song?

perdogg wrote:

I think it depends on who is composing the soundtrack. I do not want another orphaned theme song again, I want the theme song that is carefully coordinated with the rest of soundtrack. If Tony Wright directs, the Dario Marianelli will probably do the soundtrack; it is Guy Ritchie then probably Hans Zimmer.

We need David Arnold back for that. He wrote a great song (or two in TWINE) to accompany his 5 Bond films, except DAD. Most modern film composers seen to be unable to write real songs. Hans Zimmer cannot write a song, nor can he write an original film score. All of them sound exactly the same, often with the same melodies. I doubt he could write a score that's fitting for Bond. I don't know if Marianelli can write a score that sounds like Bond, but at least he can write interesting music.

I'm against using Adele again, since she probably wouldn't want to work with the film's composer on a song, and I doubt the Oscars would go for someone taking the easy path.

Skyfall was a bit borring but Adele's a great singer.  ajb007/smile 
Since "Surrender" there hasn't been much good - well I admit I loved "The World Is Not Enough" and "You know My Name" as much as i disliked "Die Another Day" and "Another Way To Die"

I guess you're all familiar with this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhCv0BQmuZc
Something like this for a future Bond song. i don't mind Adele singing it. She could be the new Shirley bassey. She is a fantastic singer and people love her. Isn't that a recipe for succes?  ajb007/lol

Matt S wrote:

We need David Arnold back for that. He wrote a great song (or two in TWINE) to accompany his 5 Bond films, except DAD. Most modern film composers seen to be unable to write real songs. Hans Zimmer cannot write a song, nor can he write an original film score. All of them sound exactly the same, often with the same melodies.

David Arnold- composer of "Surrender", "The World Is Not Enough", "Only Myself To Blame",  "You Know My Name", "No Good About Goodbye".... the man has proven his ability to write a real James Bond song, unfortunately often being overruled by the suits. I for one look forward to his continuing to work on the Bond movies as often and as long as possible.

Barbel wrote:
Matt S wrote:

We need David Arnold back for that. He wrote a great song (or two in TWINE) to accompany his 5 Bond films, except DAD. Most modern film composers seen to be unable to write real songs. Hans Zimmer cannot write a song, nor can he write an original film score. All of them sound exactly the same, often with the same melodies.

David Arnold- composer of "Surrender", "The World Is Not Enough", "Only Myself To Blame",  "You Know My Name", "No Good About Goodbye".... the man has proven his ability to write a real James Bond song, unfortunately often being overruled by the suits. I for one look forward to his continuing to work on the Bond movies as often and as long as possible.

Well said by the both of you! I hope for Arnold to return in Bond 24.

"Better luck next time... slugheads!"

1. GoldenEye  2. Goldfinger  3. Skyfall  4. OHMSS  5. TWINE

Yes, David Arnold is the new John Barry and he must be allowed to return for Bond 24.

Writer/Director @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
On Twitter: @Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
"The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

SILHOUETTE MAN wrote:

Yes, David Arnold is the new John Barry and he must be allowed to return for Bond 24.

I like David Arnold, especially his work in CS. There was only one John Barry though who was one of the all time great film composers and a key part of the original Bond canon.

HowardB wrote:
SILHOUETTE MAN wrote:

I like David Arnold, especially his work in CS. There was only one John Barry though who was one of the all time great film composers and a key part of the original Bond canon.

Well David Arnold comes closest to him, apart from maybe George Martin who scored LALD.

I thought Adele's song felt like a dull imitation of Goldfinger and I would not want her to do another.

If any recent title singer should return, I think it should be Chris Cornell.

"I could be a millionaire, if I had the money" Clifford T Ward

DaltonFan1 wrote:

I thought Adele's song felt like a dull imitation of Goldfinger and I would not want her to do another.

If any recent title singer should return, I think it should be Chris Cornell.

Agreed on both salient points. Adele's no Shirley Bassey - more of the moaning cow variety.  ajb007/lol

Would love to hear D Arnold return, and another from Adele
would be great. Just not Back to back.
   I Love Skyfall, Like it more and more with each listen.
Only wish they'd of put it on the soundtrack Disc.  ajb007/crap

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

Thunderpussy wrote:

Would love to hear D Arnold return, and another from Adele
would be great. Just not Back to back.
   I Love Skyfall, Like it more and more with each listen.
Only wish they'd of put it on the soundtrack Disc.  ajb007/crap

I share your view re Arnold, and in deference to your prior excellent taste and judgement will overlook the lapse re Adele /Skyfall song. ajb007/bond

I do admit Zaphod, That when I  sing "Skyfall" it's
in the Pub singer style.  ajb007/lol

Thunderpussy wrote:

Me to, also occasionally joined by Mrs Z

zaphod wrote:
Thunderpussy wrote:

Me to, also occasionally joined by Mrs Z

This reminds me of the singing styles employed by Vic and Bob in Shooting Stars c. 1994-95.  ajb007/lol

I agree with Matt S. Adelle's song was good, but like the film not deserving of over the top hoo-hah. If the song is the high point of 50 years of 007, that's a poor show, and says a lot about the Oscars!! Have her back to do another one? Yes, nice idea, but a few films down the road please.

The soundtrack to Skyfall was bland, unimaginative and forgetable. It really could have been the music to any political action meets thriller kind if film with only the signature theme waving the Bond flag twice, very briefly. I really hope Mr Arnold is back for the next one, his music is brilliant.  The theme song is important, but the soundtrack is key. Mr A understands that, and the dynamics of Bond.

This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?

ZorinIndustries wrote:

I'm against it for Bond 24. Skyfall was such a success, but I don't think it's right to have Adele back for Bond 24. Maybe in another few films, she'd be great. But I love the Bond themes for their variety, and I'm afraid we won't get much variety with Adele in Bond 24.

Thoughts?

In my opinion Adele in Skyfall - perfect, but I don't like when one musician make two Bond songs. Let try another.

kboo3.blogspot.com

No more Adele please. Once is quite enough. Has anyone at Eon got Dame Shirley Bassey's number at all?

SILHOUETTE MAN wrote:

Has anyone at Eon got Dame Shirley Bassey's number at all?

I would think David Arnold does, given that he produced her most recent album.

I kinda want to see Muse take a shot at doing the theme song, as long as they stay away from the crap they did with the last album...

I loved the skyfall song but really think they need to go with someone else for the next movie.

"I'm motivated by my duty"

1.SF  2.CR  3.OHMSS  4.DN  5.YOLT

I love Adele, and I love Adele's Skyfall, and would also like to see another go with her for title song.
Though, another soulful singer springs to mind, if anyone's played 007: Blood Stone, Joss Stone's title song "I'll Take It All" is pretty neat, and pretty trad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMNYc9PonVg

She has the strings to potentially pull it off, agreed?

This song is perfect. It even has a title that could be used for the movie, if it's a sequel to Skyfall:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pes54J8PVw

I'm for.

I found Skyfall to be absolutely beautiful and think Adele is the Bassey of my generation. Would love to see her do a 2nd or even 3rd one like the famous Dame Shirley.

Adele can sing. I prefer Adele over the last two cat-stranglers. Unless they can Celine Dion or some other belter with pipes and passion to match I'd say stick with Adele.

The top 7 Bond films: 1)  Dr No.   2) From Russia With Love.  3) Thunderball.  4) On Her Majesty's Secret Service.  5) For Your Eyes Only.  6) The Living Daylights.  7) Licence to Kill.

I wonder if it was Skyfall that swung the M.B.E for her. ?  ajb007/lol
Is the Queen really a huge Bond fan. ?  ajb007/bond