For or Against Adele Title Song?

ZorinIndustriesZorinIndustries United StatesPosts: 837MI6 Agent
I'm against it for Bond 24. Skyfall was such a success, but I don't think it's right to have Adele back for Bond 24. Maybe in another few films, she'd be great. But I love the Bond themes for their variety, and I'm afraid we won't get much variety with Adele in Bond 24.

Thoughts?
"Better luck next time... slugheads!"

1. GoldenEye 2. Goldfinger 3. Skyfall 4. OHMSS 5. TWINE

Comments

• don pdon p Posts: 589MI6 Agent
    i agree,

adele was good, but there has been better,
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    I don't mind Adele for Bond 24. IMHO Skyfall was one of the best songs since GoldeneEye.
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff
    Adele recorded a great song for Skyfall and there is no reason to believe she couldn't do it again....

This is another case of people complaining if you stick to formula and complaining if you try something different....you can't win :#
    YNWA 97
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Adele recorded a great song for Skyfall and there is no reason to believe she couldn't do it again....

This is another case of people complaining if you stick to formula and complaining if you try something different....you can't win :#

you are forgetting the contingent that didn't like Adele's contribution (admittedly a minority group) and found it pedestrian and entirely predictable, an ersatz Bond theme.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff
    zaphod wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

you are forgetting the contingent that didn't like Adele's contribution (admittedly a minority group) and found it pedestrian and entirely predictable, an ersatz Bond theme.

A VERY small minority indeed...the song won an Oscar remember...and the idea is to get as many people to like what you do as possible - that's how you make money and keep everything progressing....its very simple really...
    YNWA 97
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I thought Adele's "Skyfall" was brilliant. In the tradition of a great,
    Big Opening ballad for a Bond film. -{ and worked so well with the
    Fantastic titles of Daniel Kleinman -{ .
    ( Please EON, never use anybody else, Nobody does it better :D )
    I'd love to see her do another one, Just not the next one. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • DEFIANT 74205DEFIANT 74205 Perth, AustraliaPosts: 1,881MI6 Agent

There is someone who "does it better". Her name is Dame Shirley Bassey.

I'd like to see her do her fourth Bond song while she still can. She's 75 this year, and if Bond 24 comes out in 2 years, she'll be 77. There aren't many more opportunities for Bassey to do another one.
    "Watch the birdie, you bastard!"
    Sorry DEFIANT 74205 you misunderstood my Plea. :))

I want them to Keep D Kleinman for ALL the Bond Titles. :007)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent

I'd like to see her do her fourth Bond song while she still can. She's 75 this year, and if Bond 24 comes out in 2 years, she'll be 77. There aren't many more opportunities for Bassey to do another one.

Alas, Dame Shirley's time has seemingly passed. If she was to do a fourth it would surely have been for the 50th anniversary. Adele's Skyfall song was very good but the backing vocals took it down a notch for me. I'd say it's very much down to Adele if/when she wants to do another one, the producers won't hesitate to have her back.
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    edited March 2013
    Sir Miles wrote:
    zaphod wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

A VERY small minority indeed...the song won an Oscar remember...and the idea is to get as many people to like what you do as possible - that's how you make money and keep everything progressing....its very simple really...

that's a fine arguement for rampant and unbridled popularism, which is ultimately self defeating. I believe and hope, that the cash nexus is not the only criteria, otherwise look out we'll have Biber Bond at some point if cash is all that counts. I want the films to be commercial, and commercially successful as I want them to continue, but it's not the only yardstick .Ant and Dec are popular what about them.?

The Oscar nomination is a better arguement and while it was nice to see Bond recognised the Oscars themselves tend to be another popularity contest.There is a third way, but it involves doing something fresh and surprising which works. It's difficult which is why we get re- treads and homage.
  • DEFIANT 74205DEFIANT 74205 Perth, AustraliaPosts: 1,881MI6 Agent
    Sorry DEFIANT 74205 you misunderstood my Plea. :))

I want them to Keep D Kleinman for ALL the Bond Titles. :007)

Whoops :D

But my point still stands ... about Bassey doing her fourth song before Adele does her second.
    Moore Than wrote:
    Alas, Dame Shirley's time has seemingly passed. If she was to do a fourth it would surely have been for the 50th anniversary. Adele's Skyfall song was very good but the backing vocals took it down a notch for me. I'd say it's very much down to Adele if/when she wants to do another one, the producers won't hesitate to have her back.

It would have been nice to see Bassey do Skyfall instead of Adele, but I don't agree that her time has passed. She still has the talent and the voice to pull off a great Bond song. The producers would be missing a great opportunity if they don't let Bassey do another Bond song while she still can.
    "Watch the birdie, you bastard!"
  • don pdon p Posts: 589MI6 Agent
    someone a while ago did post that shirley did a song for QoS, it was better than that awful jack white song,
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,234MI6 Agent
    Adele is crap. Skyfall was a good song, but she sounds like she has a speech impediment. Her vocal 'performance' therefore ruined the song, and so I don't want her back for bond at all, let alone bond 24!
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    I think Adele did a fine job and I would enjoy having her do another Bond theme. But I'm not too keen on the idea of having her do back-to-back songs. Even Dame Shirley spaced out her three songs, and I think Adele should do the same. I'm still lobbying for k.d. lang after the fantastic job she did with Surrender, the end theme from TND.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • ZorinIndustriesZorinIndustries United StatesPosts: 837MI6 Agent
    I think Adele did a fine job and I would enjoy having her do another Bond theme. But I'm not too keen on the idea of having her do back-to-back songs. Even Dame Shirley spaced out her three songs, and I think Adele should do the same. I'm still lobbying for k.d. lang after the fantastic job she did with Surrender, the end theme from TND.

Thank you! kd Lang did a magnificent job and Surrender should havebeen the opening title song! On YouTube, there is a video of TND titles with Surrender and they match perfectly. I'm sure it had to do with publicity

And you spoke my mind on Adele! You always have a way with words, Blackleiter!

• BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Thank you for the kind words! And may I say that you have excellent taste in music, my friend! -{

Thank you! kd Lang did a magnificent job and Surrender should havebeen the opening title song! On YouTube, there is a video of TND titles with Surrender and they match perfectly. I'm sure it had to do with publicity

And you spoke my mind on Adele! You always have a way with words, Blackleiter!
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • Kent007Kent007 Posts: 338MI6 Agent
    I'm against it. I want her to do another one but just not two in a row! :)
    "You are about to wake when you dream that you are dreaming"
    I had hoped "My Chemical Romance " would of done one But sadly
    they've just broken up. ;)
  • Kent007Kent007 Posts: 338MI6 Agent
    I had hoped "My Chemical Romance " would of done one But sadly
    they've just broken up. ;)

Well thankfully Atomic Kitten are reformed so we can have the title song we were so cruelly denied in previous films!
    "You are about to wake when you dream that you are dreaming"
  • davidelliott101davidelliott101 Posts: 165MI6 Agent

Hear Hear! I was going to say that even though I loved Adele's them, the Great Shirley Bassey even took a few movies in between...
  • British VultureBritish Vulture BackwoodsPosts: 6MI6 Agent
    I liked it :)
  • perdoggperdogg Posts: 432MI6 Agent
    I think it depends on who is composing the soundtrack. I do not want another orphaned theme song again, I want the theme song that is carefully coordinated with the rest of soundtrack. If Tony Wright directs, the Dario Marianelli will probably do the soundtrack; it is Guy Ritchie then probably Hans Zimmer.
    "And if I told you that I'm from the Ministry of Defence?" James Bond - The Property of a Lady
  • RogueAgent007RogueAgent007 Corn-fed central USPosts: 154MI6 Agent
    Loved Adele's song, love her albums, but she should not do 2 in a row. Variety is the spice of life after all. :D
    Beg your pardon, forgot to knock...
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    Adele was OK once. But they should really find someone different for the Bond 24 theme song. Even Shirley Bassey, who sang three Bonds, had breaks between them of many films, so I don't really see why Adele can't be the same. She's not all that, as they say nowadays.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    perdogg wrote:
    I think it depends on who is composing the soundtrack. I do not want another orphaned theme song again, I want the theme song that is carefully coordinated with the rest of soundtrack. If Tony Wright directs, the Dario Marianelli will probably do the soundtrack; it is Guy Ritchie then probably Hans Zimmer.

We need David Arnold back for that. He wrote a great song (or two in TWINE) to accompany his 5 Bond films, except DAD. Most modern film composers seen to be unable to write real songs. Hans Zimmer cannot write a song, nor can he write an original film score. All of them sound exactly the same, often with the same melodies. I doubt he could write a score that's fitting for Bond. I don't know if Marianelli can write a score that sounds like Bond, but at least he can write interesting music.

I'm against using Adele again, since she probably wouldn't want to work with the film's composer on a song, and I doubt the Oscars would go for someone taking the easy path.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • NillerNiller Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    Skyfall was a bit borring but Adele's a great singer. :)
    Since "Surrender" there hasn't been much good - well I admit I loved "The World Is Not Enough" and "You know My Name" as much as i disliked "Die Another Day" and "Another Way To Die"

I guess you're all familiar with this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhCv0BQmuZc
    Something like this for a future Bond song. i don't mind Adele singing it. She could be the new Shirley bassey. She is a fantastic singer and people love her. Isn't that a recipe for succes? :))
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    Matt S wrote:
    We need David Arnold back for that. He wrote a great song (or two in TWINE) to accompany his 5 Bond films, except DAD. Most modern film composers seen to be unable to write real songs. Hans Zimmer cannot write a song, nor can he write an original film score. All of them sound exactly the same, often with the same melodies.

David Arnold- composer of "Surrender", "The World Is Not Enough", "Only Myself To Blame", "You Know My Name", "No Good About Goodbye".... the man has proven his ability to write a real James Bond song, unfortunately often being overruled by the suits. I for one look forward to his continuing to work on the Bond movies as often and as long as possible.
  • ZorinIndustriesZorinIndustries United StatesPosts: 837MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    Matt S wrote:
    We need David Arnold back for that. He wrote a great song (or two in TWINE) to accompany his 5 Bond films, except DAD. Most modern film composers seen to be unable to write real songs. Hans Zimmer cannot write a song, nor can he write an original film score. All of them sound exactly the same, often with the same melodies.

David Arnold- composer of "Surrender", "The World Is Not Enough", "Only Myself To Blame", "You Know My Name", "No Good About Goodbye".... the man has proven his ability to write a real James Bond song, unfortunately often being overruled by the suits. I for one look forward to his continuing to work on the Bond movies as often and as long as possible.

Well said by the both of you! I hope for Arnold to return in Bond 24.

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    Yes, David Arnold is the new John Barry and he must be allowed to return for Bond 24.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,736MI6 Agent
    Yes, David Arnold is the new John Barry and he must be allowed to return for Bond 24.

I like David Arnold, especially his work in CS. There was only one John Barry though who was one of the all time great film composers and a key part of the original Bond canon.