1

Topic: 'By 2016?'

This forum says that bond 24 is due to be released 'by 2016'. Forgive my potential ignorance, but have I missed something? Wasn't bond 24 aimed to be released in 2014, or has it been delayed?

1 - Avtak, 2 - Op, 3 - Ltk, 4 - Lald, 5 - Fyeo, 6 - Ohmss, 7 - Sf, 8 - Dn, 9 - Ge, 10 - Daf, 11 - Tmwtgg, 12 - Tswlm, 13 - Mr, 14 - Tld, 15 - Yolt, 16 - Sp, 17 - Gf, 18 - Frwl, 19 - Dad, 20 - Qos, 21 - Tnd, 22 - Twine, 23 - Tb, 24 - Cr

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby

2

Re: 'By 2016?'

I took the comment by an MGM executive to mean Bond 24 will arrive at the end of 2015 (three years after Skyfall).

3

Re: 'By 2016?'

James Bond 24 orginally was reported to have a 2014 release date, however John Logan has not yet penned the script nor is thier a director. Barabra Broccoli would like to have Sam Mendes direct again, but he is currently commited to theatre projects so he is not availible. 2016 as I understand it is latest fans will have to wait according MGM excutive Gary Brimbaum (spelling ?).

4

Re: 'By 2016?'

I was rather upset to hear that. The gap between QoS and SF was brutal.

"Better luck next time... slugheads!"

1. GoldenEye  2. Goldfinger  3. Skyfall  4. OHMSS  5. TWINE

5

Re: 'By 2016?'

Me too. Seems like a rather long time, doesn't it? ajb007/frown

ZorinIndustries wrote:

I was rather upset to hear that. The gap between QoS and SF was brutal.

"Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."

6

Re: 'By 2016?'

Crap !   ajb007/crap
I was hoping they get back to the "Every two years" groove.

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

7

Re: 'By 2016?'

Thanks for the replies and info. Darn ajb007/crap I too am disappointed. Maybe they'll get moving on it soon, who knows, perhaps just wishful thinking though. I would have thought they'd quickly make another after the success of Skyfall.

1 - Avtak, 2 - Op, 3 - Ltk, 4 - Lald, 5 - Fyeo, 6 - Ohmss, 7 - Sf, 8 - Dn, 9 - Ge, 10 - Daf, 11 - Tmwtgg, 12 - Tswlm, 13 - Mr, 14 - Tld, 15 - Yolt, 16 - Sp, 17 - Gf, 18 - Frwl, 19 - Dad, 20 - Qos, 21 - Tnd, 22 - Twine, 23 - Tb, 24 - Cr

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby

8

Re: 'By 2016?'

ZorinIndustries wrote:

I was rather upset to hear that. The gap between QoS and SF was brutal.

Not as bad as the gap between LTK and GE! Lord, that was a wait...

9

Re: 'By 2016?'

Barbel wrote:
ZorinIndustries wrote:

I was rather upset to hear that. The gap between QoS and SF was brutal.

Not as bad as the gap between LTK and GE! Lord, that was a wait...

Glad to say I only had to wait one year! Born in'94 ajb007/smile

"Better luck next time... slugheads!"

1. GoldenEye  2. Goldfinger  3. Skyfall  4. OHMSS  5. TWINE

10

Re: 'By 2016?'

I think they are really messing up by not guaranteeing 3 years or less. It's a waste of Craig and waiting for Mendes is no guarantee of success. There are so many capable writers and directors out there.

They could get 10 good scripts in the next two months if they wanted to, then pick one, and get it finalized in a couple months after. They could seriously be in pre-production this fall and filming before next summer if they tried and weren't stubborn.

Sorry, but SkyFall is not that smart of a film compared to Casino Royale. I think its greatest assets are Craig and the visual style. The story was iffy, and there's no way to really know what Sam Mendes did vs. all of the great cinematographers, set designers, prop teams, producers, effects designers, location scouts, actors, and so on. Get Sam Mendes for Craig's last run if you must, but at this rate, they are turning Bond 24 into Craig's last run.

11

Re: 'By 2016?'

PPK 7.65mm wrote:

James Bond 24 orginally was reported to have a 2014 release date, however John Logan has not yet penned the script nor is thier a director. Barabra Broccoli would like to have Sam Mendes direct again, but he is currently commited to theatre projects so he is not availible. 2016 as I understand it is latest fans will have to wait according MGM excutive Gary Brimbaum (spelling ?).


Really disappointing news. looks like they (Babs) are determined to wait for Mendes which is also disappointing as I would have preferred a fresh take. only silver lining is if it is Mendes it is likely to pick up directly from the padded door and keep that momentum.

12

Re: 'By 2016?'

2016 seems too long a wait, after how long we had to wait for Skyfall to be released. It probably means that this will therefore be Daniel Craig's last Bond film a la Pierce Brosnan in Die Another Day. What goes around comes around, as they say.  ajb007/rolleyes

Writer/Director @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
On Twitter: @Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
"The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

13

Re: 'By 2016?'

I wouldn't get my nickers in a twist over this. First of all, MGM basically promised the "stock holders" that there would be a new Bond film released "within 3 years" which to me sounds like they are guaranteeing 3 years or less. MGM came very close to "biting the dust" and a Bond film is instant money. I'm sure there will be a lot of pressure from MGM to ensure that the next Bond film is on track to be released within that time frame.

14

Re: 'By 2016?'

This 3 and 4 year crap between films really needs to stop, and it's no guarantee of a better film. The last 3-year gap between films resulted in Die Another Day.

A great script can be written in weeks. A crap script can be constantly rewritten and never become good.

Logan had all of last year to write a script.

15

Re: 'By 2016?'

"You see, son, once upon a time, there was a new James Bond film ONCE A YEAR... and they were AWESOME! Then they went to once every two years and they were ok, now we're lucky to get one every four years."

16

Re: 'By 2016?'

I wonder if EON is willing to gamble with a summer 2015 release date? My thought is not. Right now Bond owns the late fall holiday season with a good Bond film having "legs" through New Years. Better to be the film that all the other studios are avoiding going up against. And with Bond now getting an IMAX release, there would be less competition for IMAX screens at that time of year than summer.

17

Re: 'By 2016?'

The best thing to do is to not even think about Bond 24 until the pre production stage. You'll go crazy. Just space out your Skyfall viewings once every 3 months so it becomes a fresh new movie everytime you see it.

1: Casino Royale  2: Goldeneye  3: Skyfall  4: Octopussy  5: Goldfinger  6: Tomorrow Never Dies  7: The World Is Not Enough  8: The Living Daylights  9: From Russia With Love 10: The Spy Who Loved Me

18

Re: 'By 2016?'

Having such a big delay tends to pile on pressure for the next film to be a big thing, with everything to prove, and to cover all bases.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

19

Re: 'By 2016?'

another 3 year wait..... ber ril yant.  ajb007/rolleyes

'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
www.helpforheroes.org.uk
www.cancerresearchuk.org

20

Re: 'By 2016?'

ZorinIndustries wrote:

I was rather upset to hear that. The gap between QoS and SF was brutal.

I'm on the same side as ZorinIndustries. Announcing the next James Bond movie may not be released until 2015 or 2016 was like a slap in the face for all James Bond fans. They just keep prolonging Daniel Craig's term as James Bond.
  I guess they only want to make 2 more Bond films with Craig, stretch it to 2016 and 2019 and find a new actor to be James Bond in 2020.

I'm already keeping an eye on Adam Rayner as a possibility to be the next James Bond. He is the new Saint - "Simon Templar" in the upcoming "The Saint" tv series in 2013.

How I miss the days when we could see a new James Bond movie every 2 years and get more movies out of the James Bond actor.

Is it still possible to make a James Bond movie for 2014. Of course it is.
If they finish the script this year and sign on a director, locations and casting in 2013. If they wait until Daniel Craig is finished with his play, he could start filming at the end of February or March 2014.

21

Re: 'By 2016?'

It'll be a shame if we have to wait 3 years between SF and #24.  Hope it doesn't work out that way.

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

22

Re: 'By 2016?'

zaphod wrote:

Really disappointing news. looks like they (Babs) are determined to wait for Mendes which is also disappointing as I would have preferred a fresh take. only silver lining is if it is Mendes it is likely to pick up directly from the padded door and keep that momentum.

They're not waiting for Mendes - they're getting another director. Mendes inavailibility has nothing to do with it.

james362001 wrote:

How I miss the days when we could see a new James Bond movie every 2 years [...] If they finish the script this year and sign on a director, locations and casting in 2013. If they wait until Daniel Craig is finished with his play, he could start filming at the end of February or March 2014.

Mr Beech wrote:

I think they are really messing up by not guaranteeing 3 years or less. [...]
They could get 10 good scripts in the next two months if they wanted to, then pick one, and get it finalized in a couple months after. They could seriously be in pre-production this fall and filming before next summer if they tried and weren't stubborn.

jasper_lamar_crabb wrote:

This 3 and 4 year crap between films really needs to stop, and it's no guarantee of a better film. The last 3-year gap between films resulted in Die Another Day.

It's worth noting that pretty much every single Bond director since the late-70s has complained that the series' release schedule has caused the films to be rushed into production and lead to the script being rewritten until the very last minute. It's notable that, DAD notwithstanding, the three most successful Bond films of the past 30 years (Goldeneye, Casino Royale and Skyfall) are also the three that have had the longest development periods.

jasper_lamar_crabb wrote:

A great script can be written in weeks. A crap script can be constantly rewritten and never become good.

I'm guessing you have never developed a script? If you were to take any list you'd care to find of the Top 20 or Top 100 or Top 500 films of all time, you would be able to count those that had their scripts "written in weeks" on one hand. You'd still have fingers spare.

jasper_lamar_crabb wrote:

Logan had all of last year to write a script.

He did. He wrote Peter and Alice, I'll Eat You at Last and Noah

davidelliott101 wrote:

"You see, son, once upon a time, there was a new James Bond film ONCE A YEAR... and they were AWESOME! Then they went to once every two years and they were ok, now we're lucky to get one every four years."

In fairness, film production was considerably quicker and simpler in the 1960s (just compare the amount of names on the credits for Dr No with the amount of names on the credits for Skyfall.) It's pretty much impossible for a series to release one film per year now. Even the Harry Potter series couldn't manage it despite having a huge ensemble cast and guaranteed studio financing. The only way it's even remotely possible is if you have a limited series, like The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, and film back-to-back. Every single Bond film makes a lot of money for Eon, MGM and Sony. Believe me, if it were still possible to release 10 Bond films every decade rather than 3 or 4 then they absolutely would.

1- CR. 2- OHMSS. 3- FRWL. 4- GF. 5- DN. 6- TLD. 7- SF. 8- TSWLM. 9- GE. 10- LTK.
11- TB. 12- OP. 13- LALD. 14- TMWTGG. 15- FYEO. 16- YOLT. 17- TND. 18- QoS.
19- TWINE. 20- AVTAK. 21- MR. 22- DAF. 23- DAD.

23

Re: 'By 2016?'

I agree with Mr. Beech April 2 comment. Stubborn? Yes. I also call it "laziness".  I still think it is possible to write a screenplay after finishing the first one. Superman and Superman II was written that way.
Why can't a screenwriter write his stuff at home and then bring it to the office to refine it? Wouldn't that save a lot of time. Is it a rule you can only work on a script at the office?  The lady who wrote the Harry Potter books just kept on going. Maybe J.K. Rowling should write a James Bond screenplay.
  Remember when they had a contest to write a screenplay in one day? The winner was Shane Black who wrote, The Last Boy Scout (1991).
Sometimes I feel Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli are a bit too pompous and they don't really want to work.
I wish there were producers who really have the spirit and excitement for James Bond and would want to film and release a James Bond movie every two years. Those movies sure were good.

24

Re: 'By 2016?'

Good for you,  jasper_lamar_crabb, you tell them.
  Look how great Peter Jackson's team can write 3 Lord of the Ring movies and now 3 Hobbit movies and release them in the next year like Dr. No (1962), From Russia With Love (1963), Goldfinger (1964).
With all these long breaks EON Productions have had in years past, we have missed 5 Bond movies they could have made, but they did not keep the "2-year" schedule. Timothy Dalton deserved to make 2 more and Pierce Brosnan could have made one more.

jasper_lamar_crabb wrote:

This 3 and 4 year crap between films really needs to stop, and it's no guarantee of a better film. The last 3-year gap between films resulted in Die Another Day.

A great script can be written in weeks. A crap script can be constantly rewritten and never become good.

Logan had all of last year to write a script.

25

Re: 'By 2016?'

What amazes me is seven "SAW" movies in 7 years time. Released every month of October 2004 to 2010.  They made it into the Guinness Book of World Records as the most successful film series.

Sir James Moloney wrote:
zaphod wrote:

Really disappointing news. looks like they (Babs) are determined to wait for Mendes which is also disappointing as I would have preferred a fresh take. only silver lining is if it is Mendes it is likely to pick up directly from the padded door and keep that momentum.

They're not waiting for Mendes - they're getting another director. Mendes inavailibility has nothing to do with it.

james362001 wrote:

How I miss the days when we could see a new James Bond movie every 2 years [...] If they finish the script this year and sign on a director, locations and casting in 2013. If they wait until Daniel Craig is finished with his play, he could start filming at the end of February or March 2014.

Mr Beech wrote:

I think they are really messing up by not guaranteeing 3 years or less. [...]
They could get 10 good scripts in the next two months if they wanted to, then pick one, and get it finalized in a couple months after. They could seriously be in pre-production this fall and filming before next summer if they tried and weren't stubborn.

jasper_lamar_crabb wrote:

This 3 and 4 year crap between films really needs to stop, and it's no guarantee of a better film. The last 3-year gap between films resulted in Die Another Day.

It's worth noting that pretty much every single Bond director since the late-70s has complained that the series' release schedule has caused the films to be rushed into production and lead to the script being rewritten until the very last minute. It's notable that, DAD notwithstanding, the three most successful Bond films of the past 30 years (Goldeneye, Casino Royale and Skyfall) are also the three that have had the longest development periods.

jasper_lamar_crabb wrote:

A great script can be written in weeks. A crap script can be constantly rewritten and never become good.

I'm guessing you have never developed a script? If you were to take any list you'd care to find of the Top 20 or Top 100 or Top 500 films of all time, you would be able to count those that had their scripts "written in weeks" on one hand. You'd still have fingers spare.

jasper_lamar_crabb wrote:

Logan had all of last year to write a script.

He did. He wrote Peter and Alice, I'll Eat You at Last and Noah

davidelliott101 wrote:

"You see, son, once upon a time, there was a new James Bond film ONCE A YEAR... and they were AWESOME! Then they went to once every two years and they were ok, now we're lucky to get one every four years."

In fairness, film production was considerably quicker and simpler in the 1960s (just compare the amount of names on the credits for Dr No with the amount of names on the credits for Skyfall.) It's pretty much impossible for a series to release one film per year now. Even the Harry Potter series couldn't manage it despite having a huge ensemble cast and guaranteed studio financing. The only way it's even remotely possible is if you have a limited series, like The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, and film back-to-back. Every single Bond film makes a lot of money for Eon, MGM and Sony. Believe me, if it were still possible to release 10 Bond films every decade rather than 3 or 4 then they absolutely would.