A love dedication to my favourite soundtrack

Mr_OsatoMr_Osato Posts: 398MI6 Agent
It must have been 20 years ago, when I was 14, when I was introduced to the world of James Bond. Could have been 25 years. I don't know exactly and it is not that important either. What is important, that due to the James Bond movies, I got my first 'crush' on the country of Japan, watching YOLT.

Now, I know there are a lot of mixed feelings about this movie. I love the movie, it is probably my most watched JB movie, eventhough it is not in my personal top 3. I do acknowledge its flaws. But this is not a movie review, this is a soundtrack review. Or dedication more actually.

The soundtrack of this movie is flawless. Together with OHMSS it is my favourite soundtrack. What is interesting, is that for an OTT movie like YOLT, the music is not so bombastic as the previous Bond movies, nor as bombastic as OHMSS soundtrack. Which in contrary to OHMSS, is not an OTT movie at all. So quite fascinating is that you have 2 movies where the music is quite a contrast than the movie's overall theme of being OTT or not.

As you can see, I live in Japan. I am not Japanese however, I am Dutch, but I work for a Japanese company since 2 years, when they took over the company I worked for. Much to my delight and surprise, this company has asked me to work in Japan for 1 year, that is now extended to 1.5 years. As you can imagine, it felt like a dream come true.

Everyday, I take the subway to work, listening to songs like 'mountains and sunsets', 'the wedding' and 'James Bond in Japan.' Being in Tokyo, where foreign people are not common and everything is in Japanese, the music gets another dimension. I realize how much love Barry has put into this music, how he added genuine Japanese instruments to a soundtrack that have easily could have sound corny with Asian tunes. It does not. It is a true masterpiece, a delight to the ears, so good, that internally I am crying inside.

Wearing my business attire, carrying my attache case to work, listening to Barry's magic, the scenes of YOLT come to alive. I dream away and realize how lucky I am living in this amazing country, and only for a fraction of a second I think to myself: My name is Bond, James Bond-san.
OHMSS, FRWL, DN, GF, CR, GE, SP, YOLT, TB, TSWLM, LALD, TLD, TND, FYEO, SF, MR, TMWTGG, TWINE, OP, AVTAK, DAF, LTK, QOS, DAD

1. Connery 2. Craig 3. Brosnan 4. Dalton 5. Lazenby 6. Moore

Comments

• BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Mr_Osato wrote:
    It must have been 20 years ago, when I was 14, when I was introduced to the world of James Bond. Could have been 25 years. I don't know exactly and it is not that important either. What is important, that due to the James Bond movies, I got my first 'crush' on the country of Japan, watching YOLT.

Now, I know there are a lot of mixed feelings about this movie. I love the movie, it is probably my most watched JB movie, eventhough it is not in my personal top 3. I do acknowledge its flaws. But this is not a movie review, this is a soundtrack review. Or dedication more actually.

The soundtrack of this movie is flawless. Together with OHMSS it is my favourite soundtrack. What is interesting, is that for an OTT movie like YOLT, the music is not so bombastic as the previous Bond movies, nor as bombastic as OHMSS soundtrack. Which in contrary to OHMSS, is not an OTT movie at all. So quite fascinating is that you have 2 movies where the music is quite a contrast than the movie's overall theme of being OTT or not.

As you can see, I live in Japan. I am not Japanese however, I am Dutch, but I work for a Japanese company since 2 years, when they took over the company I worked for. Much to my delight and surprise, this company has asked me to work in Japan for 1 year, that is now extended to 1.5 years. As you can imagine, it felt like a dream come true.

Everyday, I take the subway to work, listening to songs like 'mountains and sunsets', 'the wedding' and 'James Bond in Japan.' Being in Tokyo, where foreign people are not common and everything is in Japanese, the music gets another dimension. I realize how much love Barry has put into this music, how he added genuine Japanese instruments to a soundtrack that have easily could have sound corny with Asian tunes. It does not. It is a true masterpiece, a delight to the ears, so good, that internally I am crying inside.

Wearing my business attire, carrying my attache case to work, listening to Barry's magic, the scenes of YOLT come to alive. I dream away and realize how lucky I am living in this amazing country, and only for a fraction of a second I think to myself: My name is Bond, James Bond-san.
    Ahhhhh......I so envy you, my friend. As I already explained, I, too, have a special feeling for Japan, although I've never been there, and I share a similar feeling for YOLT as you have described. I should have guessed, but we also share a level of love and appreciation for the soundtrack. I have a hard time picking a favorite between this soundtrack and the soundtrack for OHMSS, but there is no doubt in my mind that the YOLT soundtrack is Barry's most beautiful work. I just love the way he incorporates Japanese instruments and melodic patterns into the music that plays throughout the film, and when I listen with my eyes closed (which I often do), I am practically transported to Japan! It's so nice to find someone in this group who appreciates YOLT and its soundtrack as much as I do. -{
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • Mr_OsatoMr_Osato Posts: 398MI6 Agent
    The appreciation for the soundtrack was already there, prior to my departure to Japan. It has however increased tremendously since being here. The soundtrack lives and breathes Japan, which is a damn good achievement considering the time and the nationality of Barry. A work of art, really. And unlike other soundtracks, it never, never bores me.

You should come to Japan, it is the most fascinating culture I have ever experienced. The people, the food, the architecture, the nature. It is amazing. But I am sure your son is updating you with plenty of that already :)
    OHMSS, FRWL, DN, GF, CR, GE, SP, YOLT, TB, TSWLM, LALD, TLD, TND, FYEO, SF, MR, TMWTGG, TWINE, OP, AVTAK, DAF, LTK, QOS, DAD

1. Connery 2. Craig 3. Brosnan 4. Dalton 5. Lazenby 6. Moore
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Mr_Osato wrote:
    You should come to Japan, it is the most fascinating culture I have ever experienced. The people, the food, the architecture, the nature. It is amazing. But I am sure your son is updating you with plenty of that already
    Absolutely, I am determined to get there some day. And you are so right about my son! :)
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    Another big fan here. Alas, I too have never been to Japan, but John Barry's music perfectly captures the essence of what I imagine Japan to be based on what I have seen of it on the TV. My favourite piece is 'The Wedding'. I've listened to it hundreds of times over the years and it never fails to blow me away. In fact, it is probably my favourite piece of all Bond music.
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,220Chief of Staff
    For anyone who doesn't know this wonderful piece, there's a version here- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93BsrgncTlA though sadly not the original.
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    For anyone who doesn't know this wonderful piece, there's a version here- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93BsrgncTlA though sadly not the original.

Wonderful indeed. Thanks for posting, Barbel. -{
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Fantastic piece of Music. On a side note Many musicians
    have a fourite key to compose in, Would anyone know if
    J Barry had a favourite ?.
    ( Or is this a really OCD, question. :)) )
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    F minor was his favourite Bond key.
    Thanks Barbel -{ , I was wondering as I read
    somewhere the other day thet Most Number 1s
    are in the key of E. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Thanks Barbel -{ , I was wondering as I read
    somewhere the other day thet Most Number 1s
    are in the key of E. :D

Not coincidentally, the easiest key to play guitar in! :))
    Some of us are kings of the Three chords. :))
    Some of us are kings of the Three chords. :))

You'd like my pal Nick then!