Re: Little niggles

Bondtoys wrote:
Blackleiter wrote:

It is Connery, but he's wearing stunt hair! ajb007/lol

Hey old chap - again gaining some points! But it's a long way for you  ajb007/biggrin

As you can see, I'm working on it! ajb007/biggrin

"Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."

DieAnotherDay wrote:

Are there any particular scenes in the Bond series that you have certain problems with, whether it just be tiny mistakes you've noticed that irks you each time you watch it or just scenes that you have personal problems with. I have many but I'll just say a few....
- in TND, the timer on Carvers stealth boat says "T- 5 minutes" and yet it takes about 9-10 minutes before the missile is set off. I know it adds suspense but it just annoys me because it takes a ridiculously long time
- in TWINE bond fires the same heat seeking missile twice while in Q's fishing boat in the PTS...irks me every time
- In GF when the Oddjob leaves the car to be crushed there is clearly nobody in it. Obviously they couldn't put a person in it ajb007/amazed   but a dummy would of done the trick
- The numerous stunt doubles for Rog. in his later films. Only annoys me when it's an obvious double for just a simple punch, kick or roll.  It takes me right out of the film

I have plenty more but let's hear yours ajb007/smile

GF: I always assumed you could not see the body because he had slumped onto the seat/floor and was in a dark suit.  Also, I've heard that the car could not actually be crushed as it was because scrapyards always remove the engine block, transmission, tires and seats (for recycling) leaving mostly just the body/shell which is easier to compact.  Even more fantasy is that it had the bullion in the boot.  Gold is soft but not THAT soft.

Sir James Moloney wrote:
DieAnotherDay wrote:

Are there any particular scenes in the Bond series that you have certain problems with, whether it just be tiny mistakes you've noticed that irks you each time you watch it or just scenes that you have personal problems with. I have many but I'll just say a few....
- in TND, the timer on Carvers stealth boat says "T- 5 minutes" and yet it takes about 9-10 minutes before the missile is set off. I know it adds suspense but it just annoys me because it takes a ridiculously long time
- in TWINE bond fires the same heat seeking missile twice while in Q's fishing boat in the PTS...irks me every time
- In GF when the Oddjob leaves the car to be crushed there is clearly nobody in it. Obviously they couldn't put a person in it ajb007/amazed   but a dummy would of done the trick
- The numerous stunt doubles for Rog. in his later films. Only annoys me when it's an obvious double for just a simple punch, kick or roll.  It takes me right out of the film

I have plenty more but let's hear yours ajb007/smile

In YOLT, Bond watches on an in-car television set as Tanaka’s helicopter picks up a pursuing car with a giant  magnet and drops it in the ocean (yes, really). But who’s filming the helicopter?

In OHMSS several characters acknowledge that Blofeld doesn't have earlobes (thus backing up his claim to be a Bleauchamp)... except he very clearly does. They're right there hanging beneath his ears!

In DAF Bond tilts his car on two wheels and then rocks it from one set to the other . But the passageway is too narrow to allow this. That's why he had to tilt the car on two wheels in the first place!

GE - Bond bungee jumps from to the very bottom of a dam and enters a Soviet weapons facility underneath it. When he exits the facility a short time later, it is revealed to be on top of a mountain. This is geographically impossible.

When I first saw YOLT I assumed Tanaka had another chopper following the one dropping the car and filming it

In OHMSS, Bray mentions the earlobes, but then says it's not the sort of thing they rely on for positive proof in their research.  Blofeld having lobes was not proof enough from making his claim.

Always hated the car/alley scene in DAF - it was obviously an editing goof, but then, I dislike the whole film anyway.

GE bungee jump/runway escape - After entering the facility at the bottom of the dam, it seems as if a scene was left out showing them ascending in a lift back to the top of it of the dam where the lab/storage facility is. The idea behind entering at the bottom would be that it had little security since no one would believe it could be accessed from the outside.  The lab/storage area would have the most security (though mainly on the outside).  They either left such a scene out for some reason (if it were filmed) or didn't think of it and didn't have the budget to do an insert to correct it.  It's strange, as those sequences are usually storyboarded.

Firemass wrote:

Hmm, is "niggles" politically correct term ?

The DAF sideways driving seemed more like a continuity error than Bond actually shifting from one side of the car to the other. Honestly, I don't mind continuity errors that much because it's impossible to make a film that doesn't have any.

There's another scene in Goldfinger with nobody in the car: When they leave after the golf match.

FYEO: Roger's hair seems to change color several times which is rather distracting.

OP: Kamal Kahn's escape seems to be in broad daylight, but the palace raid was at night. Or was it early morning?

GF: Leaving a small patch at base of the spin for skin to breath sounds like a bunch of bunk. Can anyone seriously verify this?

In general I don't like seeing animals get killed whether they are sharks, snakes, spiders or otherwise.

The rough treatment of women is a bit irksome: Sean with Pussy Galore in the barn, Roger in Octopussy's bedroom.

LTK: Q throwing away his broom radio after years of scolding Bond to bring equipment back in pristine condition.

TSWLM: Roger not being scared when Jaws is attacking the utility van

The virtual reality scene in D.A.D with MoneyPenny getting killed should have been left on the cutting room floor.

The end credits song on Goldeneye is dreadful.

Okay...that's a pretty random list. I'm sure I'll think of some more later.

GF: Leaving a small patch at base of the spin for skin to breath sounds like a bunch of bunk. Can anyone seriously verify this?

-  No, it's pure fiction.  However, a death could occur if there was an allergic reaction, but it would not happen the same day.  Buddy Ebsen nearly died from this because of the silver powder used for his Tin Man costume in the Wizard of Oz, but it took over a month before he became ill.  He inhaled enough quantities of the powder into his lungs to almost kill him.

- Always hated the spider scene in NO.  A giant centipede would have been even MORE disgusting. whereas tarantulas bites are similar to a bad wasp sting and have a very low toxicity to humans.  A bite of an 8 in. long Scolopendra heros could result in a life threatening situation for infants or the elderly or anyone who was allergic, by inducing anaphylactic shock, but it would not be fatal to someone like Bond.  However, it would make him very ill for a some time.

Agree with the centipede, I think most people have a revulsion to them ( I know I do  ajb007/lol  ).
As for painting the body, I agree it would take a long time but I do remember watching a
Mythbusters, where one of the guys got painted all over, and very quickly began to feel
unwell. So unwell he asked to have some of the paint removed. So just to be annoying
I think there might just be a scintilla of possibility about it.  ajb007/lol

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

Thunderpussy wrote:

Agree with the centipede, I think most people have a revulsion to them ( I know I do  ajb007/lol  ).
As for painting the body, I agree it would take a long time but I do remember watching a
Mythbusters, where one of the guys got painted all over, and very quickly began to feel
unwell. So unwell he asked to have some of the paint removed. So just to be annoying
I think there might just be a scintilla of possibility about it.  ajb007/lol

Just for you, TP, because I would never want you to be annoying! ajb007/lol

http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/goldfinger.asp

"Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."

ajb007/crap  Well maybe Goldfinger had her hit with a few gold bars first. ajb007/wink  or he used
Lead paint, ALOT of lead paint.  ajb007/lol

Thunderball:

Derval clone demanding more money because he has spent years perfecting his impersonation of the real Derval. Then proceeds to make several mistakes on his way out the door!

Thunderball:  (film and novel)

Why spend so much time and effort hiding the bombs under water? Just put them in the back of a truck or hide them in a garage.

"Please don't try to follow me"

1. GE 2. MR 3. TSWLM 4. GF 5. DN 6. TND 7. TMWTGG 8. OP 9. TWINE 10. AVTAK

Just watching Goldfinger now on itv.
it's always bugged me that when Bond emerges from the water with the duck on his head it isnt even Connery. You can see that the bloke has a shaven head.
Also from Goldfinger you can clearly see that it is bob simmons during the fight scene with oddjob in fort knox. The exact scene i mean is shot from the rear of bond when he is holding a stick of wood to twonk around oddjobs head.
This always confused me when i was a kid cause i just couldnt work out why it wouldnt be connery in such a simple scene. Still confuses me now  ajb007/insane

Another cringeworthy one is bob simmons in a scene in you only live twice. The scene where bond is fighting Hans. Its shot from quite a distance. Why the hell didnt connery do it?

Whilst I'm on a roll, there is twang on a string that is heard during the scene when bond is tailing goldfinger in switzerland. It is particularly audible on the soundtrack. It's clearly a mistake.

Last edited by thenoisydrum (2nd Feb 2014 16:23)

The main actor is not always available to the second unit, so stunt men have to be used. I also
think Connery wasn't too keen on the fighting / physical aspect of playing Bond.

I really wish ITV would stop putting in so many Add Breaks during Films.

1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

AlphaOmegaSin wrote:

I really wish ITV would stop putting in so many Add Breaks during Films.

What I don't understand is why Bond fans would be relying on the TV. I just assume that everyone on here has all the 007 films on VHS/DVD/BluRay..maybe even laserdisc too.

People might watch it on the telly for nostalgic reasons

Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"

I still like to watch them when they're on, I feel like I'm doing my bit to keep
the viewing figures up.   ajb007/lol

There is something different about watching a Bond Movie on TV, then on VHS or DVD.

1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

AlphaOmegaSin wrote:

There is something different about watching a Bond Movie on TV, then on VHS or DVD.

Dead right and I thoroughly enjoyed watching Goldfinger yesterday. Seeing Bond emerge from the water in the pts reminded of the version that i recorded off the telly back in the late 80's when the teletext 888 box appeared in the bottom corner of the screen. Was it 888?

ajb007/lol  mine also had the ITV Christmas art work, where I hadn't been quick enough with the pause button.  ajb007/wink

thenoisydrum wrote:

from Goldfinger you can clearly see that it is bob simmons during the fight scene with oddjob in fort knox. The exact scene i mean is shot from the rear of bond when he is holding a stick of wood to twonk around oddjobs head.
This always confused me when i was a kid cause i just couldnt work out why it wouldnt be connery in such a simple scene. Still confuses me now  ajb007/insane

It's documented in John Brosnan's "James Bond In The Cinema" that Connery hurt his back during the fight with Oddjob and walked off set. Perhaps this explains it.

Just caught the scene with Oddjob and the car being crushed with Solo inside.  I thought he was lying dead on the seat out of sight, but when I focused on the car as it's being lifted to the crusher, the inside is clearly visible and so is the absence of a corpse.  They could have at least thrown in a mannequin, but I supposed they believed it wasn't going to be noticed.  They probably saw it in the daily rushes of that days print, but by that time it would have been costly to reshoot as they had to lease the yard from the owner and procure another car (combine that with crew and film salaries).

Thunderpussy wrote:

ajb007/crap  Well maybe Goldfinger had her hit with a few gold bars first. ajb007/wink  or he used
Lead paint, ALOT of lead paint.  ajb007/lol

It would have been more realistic and logical if Bond told M. in their meeting that she had been strangled before being painted.  In the novel GF had sex with women after they were painted (and probably then left to die).  If THAT had been mentioned in the film, the censors would have had seizures.

ajb007/biggrin  agreed, they are, after all   " sadism for the whole Family "  ajb007/lol

Thunderpussy wrote:

ajb007/biggrin  agreed, they are, after all   " sadism for the whole Family "  ajb007/lol

The most violent PG movies ever made!

Speaking of Solo not being in the car, what about Goldfinger not being in his Rolls when leaving the country club? Quite a few little glitches in Goldfinger, but still an excellent film.

Here's a new that I don't think has been mentioned:

AVTAK: High angle shot of General Gogol sitting in the Corvette waiting is obviously not Walter Gotell. In fact it looks more like Pushkin's bodyguard from TLD.  ??????

To connect the two films, in Goldfinger the car being crushed  clearly has no engine when lifted, and
in AVTAK the cops car that gets crushed by the bridges counter weight also clearly has no engine.  ajb007/lol
  Then again this might be an early ecological stance from the producers.   ajb007/biggrin

Thunderpussy wrote:

To connect the two films, in Goldfinger the car being crushed  clearly has no engine when lifted, and in AVTAK the cops car that gets crushed by the bridges counter weight also clearly has no engine.

That must be why people think that AVTAK is a remake of GF.

ajb007/biggrin  could of remade it a little too closely.  Maybe it was an early homage.  ajb007/wink