Re: Bond's Roots

I've just checked FRWL again- there is no reference to Bond's mother.
Monique Delacroix's Swiss nationality is canon.

On Bond's mothers nationality, I'm completely neutral.   ajb007/lol

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

If you can't trust the Swiss, what's the world come to?  ajb007/martini

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

You'd be Cuckoo, Not too.   ajb007/lol

Thunderpussy wrote:

English, Scottish who cares so long as he wasn't American.  ajb007/takecover   ajb007/tongue

Hey, when Ray Benson was chucking out his stuff I was terrified he was going to throw in a Bostonian set of grandparents for JB.... ajb007/amazed  ajb007/mad

As for Deaver, chuff knows where HIS creation was meant to be from. Certainly, not the mind of Ian Fleming.  ajb007/insane

Le Samourai wrote:

There's a footnote in O.F. Snelling's Bond book that quotes Fleming saying "Bond is Scottish. On both sides, as I shall explain in my next book." Fleming died before being able to fulfill that promise.

The problem with that was that Fleming, at the time of that remark, was already a severely ill man in more than one regard. And possibly not exactly what you'd call sober. 

Le Samourai wrote:

I really wonder what Fleming had planned. Does that mean Monique Delacroix was not Bond's birth mother? Or that she wasn't really Swiss? We will never know.

Monique Panchaud de Bottens, one of Fleming's more serious girlfriends during his time in Switzerland (autumn '29 to late summer '31) was the model for Monique Delacroix. Fleming met her in 1930 and they became a serious issue during the subsequent time until Fleming returned to England for his Foreign Office exam. Fleming was passable, but missed nonetheless. Panchaud followed him to England in December 1931 and was met by Eve Fleming's cold and relentless hatred, for Fleming's mother regarded her as the reason her son failed for the third time after Eton and Sandhurst. Monique Panchaud was an easy target for the old dragon and Fleming himself not man enough to stand up against his 'Em'. Panchaud did the decent thing and returned home in January '32. Fleming's mother had once more put her stamp on her son's life.

In the summer of '63 Fleming went on a personal time journey in Europe, visiting all the places of the golden days of his youth. He also tried to see Monique again. Alas she refused to see him, with a certain degree of justification I daresay. Fleming had a mind to reveal to her how he included her into his work and made her the mother of James Bond.

Could well be after being rejected he may have changed his mind.

By the way: Panchaud apparently learned about her role in James Bond's life and supposedly used to say to her own son he had a brother: James Bond.

I'm not young enough to know everything.
                                                  Wilde

Excellent post, Liam, many thanks. Eve's maiden name had "Croix" in it somewhere so in naming Bond's mother Fleming drew on that, too.

Agreed, great post. I keep learning new facts on AJB. :-)

Thunderpussy wrote:

# I am an anti-Christ
I am an anarchist,
Don't know what I want
But I know how to get it.
I wanna destroy the passerby
'Cos I wanna be anarchy,
No dogs body  #   ajb007/lol

Would Bond Have Been a Punk?,  English, Scottish who cares so long as he wasn't American.  ajb007/takecover   ajb007/tongue

I very much doubt it, sir.  ajb007/smile