Re: Release Date in the UK: 23rd October 2015

I think it's good news. Daniel Craig will be 46 next year but I don't think he will be too old. He certainly deserves a chance to do the next one after how good his performance in Skyfall was.

Skyfall, whether you liked it or not, was a massive hit and made lots of money. If the option to keep everyone together for Bond 24 was available then the producers were never going to turn it down. As they say "If it's not broke, don't fix it"

I agree that 3 years isn't the most ideal time to wait but that's just modern day film making, it's different to the 60's/70's. Plus, I'd rather they spend more time on the film and it be of a better quality.

I also find it interesting how they say Logan and Mendes have thought of an "Extraordinary follow up to Skyfall". Would suggest the plot has already been drafted. I hope it's better than the one in Skyfall, or at least a plot with less holes in, for me that was the film's only downside.

"You are about to wake when you dream that you are dreaming"

Thank God it's not November 2016!!

Terrific news, Bond fans!

"Better luck next time... slugheads!"

1. GoldenEye  2. Goldfinger  3. Skyfall  4. OHMSS  5. TWINE

Richard--W wrote:

Dalton made Bond films that were more than decent and better than any Bond since. This is a fact, and common knowledge among those in the know.

LOL, someone who wants to be taken seriously and is not able to differentiate between his personal opinion and facts .

Yeah, I am happy to be not one of "those in the know"  ajb007/rolleyes

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

Barbel wrote:

I hope David Arnold gets to do the music, rather than Thomas Newman. Not putting any money on that, though.

Wasn't it that Kleinman was big buddies with Mendes and his personal composer of choice?

I doubt that we will hear Arnold's tunes as long as Mendes directs though I agree with your hopes to see Arnold back one day ajb007/martini

FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

Newman is Mendes' first choice, alright, which is why I said I doubted Arnold would get the gig.

I'm sure Kleinman will be back to do the titles though.

ah, sorry, mixed up Klein with New  ajb007/rolleyes

** and that was my 5000th quality post  ajb007/martini  ajb007/martini  ajb007/martini

Last edited by Higgins (12th Jul 2013 09:59)

It's only a little thing...

Barbel wrote:

It's only a little thing...

That's what his wife says  ajb007/biggrin

YNWA: Justice For The 96

The Joy Of 6

Oh, she told you too then?

(I was actually indulging in a feeble bit of wordplay- klein/little- so feeble it went unnoticed)

Charmed & Dangerous wrote:
Barbel wrote:

I hope David Arnold gets to do the music, rather than Thomas Newman.

+ 1  ajb007/martini

My sentiments exactly. I'd love to see Arnold back doing the score. I guess we will have to see what happens.

Good news! A few years gap might actually be what keeps the series alive... A fully developed script, time for quality casting etc. and an audience that is hungry for Bond. And as much as I respect and like David Arnold's work, Newman's score for Skyfall was a pleasant one in my humble opinion - wouldn't mind more of that either.

Sadly a long gap between films is no guarentee of having a good script which isn't full of plot holes etc, and you lose the momentum of driving the series foreward.
Still it's nice to at least have a date fot it.

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

As long as Idris is in it[*][/*]

Barbel wrote:

(I was actually indulging in a feeble bit of wordplay- klein/little- so feeble it went unnoticed)

Even I did not notice.
I can't usually find that kind of depth in your remarks  ajb007/biggrin  so I am just flying over them  ajb007/tongue

Oh, I throw in such things from time to time. Though generally you'd be right!

I'm not sure that zaphod is wrong, I mean what's the point of contributing to a forum if you don't actually like the new movies? It does seem to make sense, though Richard W does seem to be being a tad silly with his running through tunnels sewer rat analogy, what's that all about?

I say Craig will be back for one more simply cos if he's too old for the last one (says the script) then how old will he be 4 years on from that? Quite old. Plus time and trends march on. Plus it may be behind the insistance of getting Mendes back, like, if this is my last, I want the guy I want. Of course, I could be wrong, but think about it, the one after Bond 24 may be another three years...  ajb007/amazed  Unless they do back-to-back stuff. But then Mendes won't want to direct that...   ajb007/insane

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Richard W in glib "know it all" comment shock ... now there's a first.  Seems like a few of us mustn't have received that particular memo.

Anyway I'm struggling to understand why any Bond fans wouldn't be excited about a new movie?  It wasn't too many years ago when we were all wondering when / if there would actually be a next installment following all of the apparent uncertainty.  Isn't enjoying / discussing Bond & looking forward to new 'chapters' why we're all on here in the first place??!

I am here for the chicks  ajb007/wink

Not sure which is better, telling us now that we've got a 2 year + wait but knowing for certain when the next Bond is coming, or waiting a year leaving us uncertain but then only having 1 year to wait. In many ways I'm glad we know now how long we have to wait and can start discussing further what to expect! But 2 years really is quite a long wait. However, can't complain, I'm sure time will fly by  ajb007/martini

I'm glad Mendes is back, Skyfall was a masterpiece, however many plot holes people can dig up. I wouldn't say having the same director and screenwriter 2 films in a row is 'milking the success of Skyfall', it's more keeping a crew that have just generated over a billion at the box office, which to me seems like an obvious thing to do.

Craig looked older in Skyfall, but still didn't look 'old', nowhere near how Moore looked in AVTAK or even Connery in DAF for that matter. Craig is looking fine for his age and I'm doubtful this will be his last Bond. If Bond 25 comes out in 2018 or before then I'm sure Craig will be kept on for it.

Let the excitement commence!  ajb007/bond

Now, they only eat rat.

Now I understand that Craig doesn't have the "boyish" looks of a Tom Cruise (51), but nowadays it is quite common to have believable action heroes/leading men well into their 50's and even 60's. IMO, you really can't compare DC with an aging Moore or even Connery. IMO, Moore while being incredibly suave, handsome, clever and witty was always a stretch when it came to the badass/physical stuff and aging made it more difficult for him to pull of the illusion of a tough man of action in his last couple of Bond films. Connery got away with it better IMO....well, because he was Connery; just so much screen presence and even when he appeared to have let himself go and gotten a bit paunchy he stilled looked like he could punch someone out (just as long as the fight didn't last too long). Ironically, Connery actually looked much better (more fit and capable) in films he did such as "A Bridge Too Far" and "Cuba" which were several years after DAF.

Actors such as Bruce Willis, Harrison Ford, Hugh Jackman, and the aforementioned Cruise have been able to remain viable into older age.
Craig, much like Charles Bronson, will probably be able to stand the test of time despite his "craggy" and less than "classic" looks based in no small part upon his lean, well conditioned physique. EON has also paved the way for DC to continue for another two films by morphing him from the young, raw, 007 of CR and QOS to the seasoned, veteran, 007 of Skyfall who has entered the twilight of his career.

Bondtoys wrote:

Any luck?

"Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."

Blackleiter wrote:
Bondtoys wrote:

Any luck?

Judging by the length of time he spends on here, I'd hazard a good guess of not a sniff!  ajb007/tongue   ajb007/lol

Having said that, god loves a trier!  ajb007/biggrin

Blackleiter wrote:
Bondtoys wrote:

Any luck?

Well, I have found you  ajb007/biggrin

Bondtoys wrote:
Blackleiter wrote:
Bondtoys wrote:

Any luck?

Well, I have found you  ajb007/biggrin

Good Lord! I'm outta here!!!!! ajb007/amazed

"Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."

Napoleon Plural wrote:

I'm not sure that zaphod is wrong, I mean what's the point of contributing to a forum if you don't actually like the new movies? It does seem to make sense, though Richard W does seem to be being a tad silly with his running through tunnels sewer rat analogy, what's that all about?

I say Craig will be back for one more simply cos if he's too old for the last one (says the script) then how old will he be 4 years on from that? Quite old. Plus time and trends march on. Plus it may be behind the insistance of getting Mendes back, like, if this is my last, I want the guy I want. Of course, I could be wrong, but think about it, the one after Bond 24 may be another three years...  ajb007/amazed  Unless they do back-to-back stuff. But then Mendes won't want to direct that...   ajb007/insane

Thanks Nap. For clarity, it's not that I don't like the new movies.So far I love one, loath one, and one is a 6-7 out of 10. It's more that I fear that the huge success of Skyfall is in my view unlikely to curb the worst excesses of Skyfall and that the Babs/Craig/Mendes love in for me at least is not something that I am particularly looking forward to. I also feel that waiting for Mendes signals more of the same and is probably a mistake. I  could be wrong (it's happened before you know) but until we know more there is little point in hanging around like a bad smell stinking up
the place. I'm happy to contribute to other discussions where I can be more positive.