Do you think Tanner will disappear ?

ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
With M becoming a woman ( Big operation ) Both Tanner and Moneypenny seemed to have equal screen time, Now we have a new sexy, sophisticated Moneypenny will the character "Tanner" fade from view. As Monepenny will I'm sure get a bigger role in the films and she can do all the same lines, passing information and facts to Bond.
Or do members think the "Office family " with M, Q, Moneypenny and Tanner still keep going ?
"I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."

Comments

• Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    I think they need to define Tanner's position better.
    Rory K is a great actor, but if they to keep him they need to give Tanner as a character something significant to do. A new M MPenny and Q all signal things that are different from what has been done before, so it IS possible. Tanner could have a function like Michael Kitchen did, or Colin Salmon's Charles Robertson. How though, is beyond me.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • Jedi MasterJedi Master UKPosts: 1,093MI6 Agent
    I think they need to define Tanner's position better [... ]Tanner could have a function like Michael Kitchen did, or Colin Salmon's Charles Robertson. How though, is beyond me.

I agree with you totally. It's nice to know a few faces in MI6 (I always enjoy seeing some of the other 00 agents in Goldeneye) so I'd like them to retain Tanner and give him a well defined role. I liked the role Colin Salmon played in the Brosnan movies, a sort of secretarial field agent, so I would quite like to see something like that.
    Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice and everyone dies.
  • LetTheSkyfallLetTheSkyfall Southern CaliforniaPosts: 15MI6 Agent
    To me it seems like Tanner keeps his position as a sort of Chief of Staff for M and Money is strictly M's executive assistant. This is what the final scene in Skyfall has lead me to believe. You'll notice Tanner is the one that walks out of M's office with some sort of briefing in his arm and tells Bond "he's ready for you now." or something to that effect.
  • Mr MagnussonMr Magnusson Station S - SwedenPosts: 62MI6 Agent
    Well, i certainly hope Tanner will stay. I like Kinnears interpretation of the character. Just give me a short scene where Bond and him are sharing a brief friendly conversation implying that they will grab something to eat or play golf or whatnot. Just to establish that they are friends!
    One equal temper of heroic hearts, Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    Well, i certainly hope Tanner will stay. I like Kinnears interpretation of the character. Just give me a short scene where Bond and him are sharing a brief friendly conversation implying that they will grab something to eat or play golf or whatnot. Just to establish that they are friends!

Good idea, some hint of the 'few close friends' that Fleming spoke of.However really liked the line "I don't have any friends "in QOS.
  • 00730073 COPPosts: 995MI6 Agent

I gotta say, IMHO Kinnears Tanner was very much just an exec. ass. to woman M. I have hard time believing that DCs Bond would in any way spend off duty hours with Kinnears Tanner, let alone be his closest friend in the service. That is unless off course their relationship is a very personal one that we are not meant to know about; you know "What makes you think this is my first time?" "OH Mr Bond!" :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))
    "I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    0073 wrote:

I gotta say, IMHO Kinnears Tanner was very much just an exec. ass. to woman M. I have hard time believing that DCs Bond would in any way spend off duty hours with Kinnears Tanner, let alone be his closest friend in the service. That is unless off course their relationship is a very personal one that we are not meant to know about; you know "What makes you think this is my first time?" "OH Mr Bond!" :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

You should read the novels again. Tanner isn't M's PA, that's Moneypennys' role. He's the Chief of Staff of MI6. It's similar to the COS in the White House or the Downing Street COS. He's directly responsible for leading and co-ordinating the operations of MI6 headquarters and is M's senior aide. I was stationed on a NATO base and the division I worked in was very similar in structure. The head of the divisions were high ranking officers (admirals or generals) similar to M. They had a private office with a connected office that had a secretary and next to that another that had the COS for the division (who happened to be a Royal Navy captain in my division). To see the head of the division you had to go through the COS - unless you were a real VIP or were given a direct invitation. So, Tanner is actually second in command to M and as such is over Bond as well. However, in the novels they were friends and played golf together on occasion. I've mentioned in other posts it would be nice to see them on the course if only for a brief scene - they could be called in by M on an emergency that figures into the plot.
    I like that idea - it could also tie in with seeing other 00s if Tanner has to brief them on an operation, or series of assignments that tie together.

We have not had that sort of thing since TWINE! I say that because there is nothing to suggest the other agents in SF's Istanbul operation are fellow 00s. MPenny isn't, and M is supervising everything giving Tanner no room to tannoy!
  • PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,229MI6 Agent
    I think that Tanner will stick around, he seems to be gaining popularity with the fan base since in addition to his film appearances he also appeared via voice over in several of the video game spin offs recently.

Hopefully he gets to do a little more this time around, and maybe we can finally see him and Bond on the golf course or at some other activity outside of work.
  • RikRik Posts: 66MI6 Agent
    With what Sam Mendes says in the Skyfall audio commentary about the character of Tanner, I don't think he'll disappear, quite the opposite. I'd expect a slightly larger role in Bond 24
    I must listen to that one I finally get the DVD. Its daft, had there been decent extras I would have bought it ages ago. As it is I am still waiting for it to get to the bargain basement price level!

Hopefully this means solid development for all the office staff in Bond 24, as M (Mallory) Q and MPenny have had a promising start here. Kinnear's Tanner deserves no less. Even if my spellchecker keeps changing his name to "tanker!"
  • 00730073 COPPosts: 995MI6 Agent

You should read the novels again. Tanner isn't M's PA, that's Moneypennys' role. He's the Chief of Staff of MI6. It's similar to the COS in the White House or the Downing Street COS. He's directly responsible for leading and co-ordinating the operations of MI6 headquarters and is M's senior aide. I was stationed on a NATO base and the division I worked in was very similar in structure. The head of the divisions were high ranking officers (admirals or generals) similar to M. They had a private office with a connected office that had a secretary and next to that another that had the COS for the division (who happened to be a Royal Navy captain in my division). To see the head of the division you had to go through the COS - unless you were a real VIP or were given a direct invitation. So, Tanner is actually second in command to M and as such is over Bond as well. However, in the novels they were friends and played golf together on occasion. I've mentioned in other posts it would be nice to see them on the course if only for a brief scene - they could be called in by M on an emergency that figures into the plot.

You don't say! I think you should read my post again; but in case you can't be bothered (can not blame you there ;) ) I'll rephrase: Kinnears Tanner on screen is well off track from the Tanner IF portrayed in the novels. I would quite wellcome a new Tanner, a one with dry sence of humor and possibly only one upperlimb. IMHO Kinnears metrosexual PA Tanner was a good compliment to that feminists' wet dream female M, but now that Mallory is in charge and ex-field operative Moneypenny mans the desk in M's antechamber, that poor sod don't stand a chance, he'll be eaten alive!!!
    "I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    See where your coming from - how the character is portrayed at present compared to the novel character. Though the problem is now that the actor is so identified with the character in the recent films it would be too unsettling to replace him at this time. If one thinks about it, Fiennes would have made a good Tanner. Unless something comes up to prevent Kinnear from reprising the role, we'll probably be seeing him at least for the near future.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    I'd like to see Tanner fleshed out more as Bond's friend, instead of M's apparent administrative assistant; perhaps now that Moneypenny is in the picture, this can happen. In SF, there was still some obvious distance between Tanner and Bond.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    For some reason I have a feeling Tanner will be killed off. Don't know why.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • Mr MagnussonMr Magnusson Station S - SwedenPosts: 62MI6 Agent
    My worry for Bond 24 is that the MI6 staff will get too much screentime. Sure, M will probably be featured quite a bit because Fiennes is who he is. But neither Q or Moneypenny doesen't need that much screentime. Sure, a bit more then in previous films but to have the amount of screentime similar to what they had in SF would be preposterous.

But Tanner and Felix should get more time.
    One equal temper of heroic hearts, Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
  • james362001james362001 Lancaster, California USAPosts: 338MI6 Agent
    I would agree with Jeffrey Wright returning as "Felix" and I think it's time for "Felix' to meet "Miss Moneypenny". I do wish Daniel Craig would disappear. I don't have a problem with seeing "Tanner".
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    edited June 2014
    In the novels Tanner is presented as a family man and Bond is a little envious of the kind of life he'll never have. Might be effective to see Bond watching as Tanner drives away with his wife and kids to go on holiday or something family-like while Bond is all alone.

IIRC Tanner was also envious of Bond's freedom.
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    An envious Bond is a dangerous Bond -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Bond has probably had Tanner's wife ( he likes married women ) :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    Interesting and I do hope he stays on board!

What I would really like is some continuity with regards to the office which seems to change each DC film e.g. Quantum was ridiculous with all the OTT high tech.

I hope now that we are in more familiar surroundings (at the end of Skyfall) that this more traditional office will be used for the next load of films and not another new place!
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Tanner is not a necessary character for me -- I never thought of the Bond movies as ensemble pieces. It was enough that there was a structure to Bond's organization. With contemporary films wasting a lot of screen time with characters doing nothing of importance but being photographed in ponderous ways -- walking, staring, thinking, etc. -- I would rather the minutes that would be wasted with some formulaic headquarters scene instead be used for a taut and interesting dialogue exchange between Bond and some original character the story.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    +1, I too would rather the "Office" scenes were kept to a minimum. -{
  • DaltonFan1DaltonFan1 The West of IrelandPosts: 503MI6 Agent
    Never mind Tanner. I really want to know what happened to Villiers. Was he fired for putting Bond on hold?
    “Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to a better understanding of ourselves.” - Carl Jung