Bond films, and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM), the longtime distributor of the Bond
films, along with the estate and family of the late Kevin McClory, announced
today that Danjaq and MGM have acquired all of the estate’s and family’s rights
and interests relating to James Bond, thus bringing to an amicable conclusion
the legal and business disputes that have arisen periodically for over 50
years.

Comments

• ZorinIndustriesZorinIndustries United StatesPosts: 837MI6 Agent
    Just saw this... I don't know how I feel. I think it's great that the rights are finally in EON's hands, but I just don't see them bringing back this organization. Bond doesn't even learn of SPECTRE until DN at the dinner table, and we believe that we see Blofeld's death in FYEO. I feel like it would beat a dead horse to bring the organization back. Just my opinion.
    "Better luck next time... slugheads!"

1. GoldenEye 2. Goldfinger 3. Skyfall 4. OHMSS 5. TWINE
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    Blofeld has died in the "classic" films in FYEO. The series has been rebooted so i think Blofeld could be brought back. However i think SPECTRE is in a bygone era and should be left alone in the classic series. where did you find out about this?
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
  • RevelatorRevelator Posts: 555MI6 Agent
    I feel like it would beat a dead horse to bring the organization back.

Both Ellipsis and Quantum were bland modern-day imitations of Spectre. Better to have the real thing.
    However i think SPECTRE is in a bygone era and should be left alone in the classic series. where did you find out about this?

It's in the news (http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/james-bond-right-dispute-ends-after-50-years-1200837571/). Spectre, if anything, is even more relevant in today's world. It combines the two things people most worry about--terrorism and shadowy international corporations--into one nasty whole. The time is ripe for Blofeld and Spectre's return.
  • StrangewaysStrangeways London, UKPosts: 1,469MI6 Agent
    Hmmmmmmm. I'm not sure how I feel, but my initial thought is post Austin Powers this might just become a parody of a parody.....
  • schaduwoogschaduwoog Posts: 97MI6 Agent
    I think it will be great, of course done in the right way. Make it a tough blofeld.. Ben Kingsley. With donald pleasence scar.
    I like to have an oldies villain again, with a secret lair.. it might be quantum, I don't feel that's story is ended.. too bad skyfall didn't pick the storyline up. Of course when Blofeld will be brought back, the whole storyline will be messed up, but it is anyway and with the reboot, that's ok. As long as it will be a surprise within the movie.. not that we know it already..
  • StrangewaysStrangeways London, UKPosts: 1,469MI6 Agent
    Oh wow. Ben Kingsley with the scar!
    Now that would be amazing casting.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    For me SPECTRE has had it's day, They've set up QUANTUM as a more modern approach, which I think
    they should run with. Although I'd love to see a reinvention of Blofeld for the new era. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    I hope Spectre does come back, the Organization is overdue a Reappearance :))
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    Perhaps to keep everyone happy Quantum could evolve into SPECTRE. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,416Chief of Staff
    Oh wow. Ben Kingsley with the scar!
    Now that would be amazing casting.

I always thought Sir Ben Kingsley would make a better Tamil Rahani... -{
    YNWA 97
  • schaduwoogschaduwoog Posts: 97MI6 Agent
    Tamil Rahani, nice thought! I have to read the novel again. Long time ago.
    Does this mean they'll be bringing back the electric chairs?

No, they have sharks with lasers strapped to their heads. :))
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent
    One could say Quantum was destroyed in QoS and Blofeld buildt SPECTRE from the ashes. I think Frank Langella would make a good Blofeld.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    No, they have sharks with lasers strapped to their heads. :))

Run out of sea bass....? :)
    MUTATED seabass :)

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent
    I think it's likely they start using SPECTRE and Blofeld pretty soon. They had just aquired the rights to CR before they started developing it and SF signaled a return to the classic Bond. I doubt they'll do it for the next one, since the basic script is already written. they might put in a refence to Blofeld and/or SPECTRE, but keep them in the background for later, like they did in DN and FRWL.
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    edited November 2013
    This is an attempt by Danjaq and MGM to make sure we don't get any more Thunderball remakes from relatives of McClory, nothing more.
    -{ Very good point Gala Brand. Eon now own everything to do with Bond.
    More than an attempt, surely? It certainly appears to be a definite conclusion to the whole McClory/Thunderball business.
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    More than an attempt, surely? It certainly appears to be a definite conclusion to the whole McClory/Thunderball business.

I remember reading about a year ago that some guy was claiming that McClory sold him his rights before he died (maybe after, who knows?). I am assuming that Danjaq/MGM got a pretty good indemnity provision in this deal in case somebody pops up claiming to own the rights to Thunderball/Spectre/Blofeld.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    :))

So the next Bond will be a remake of LALD, with Blofeld and SPECTRE making a return.
    I hope they get Bassey back for the theme. :))
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,774MI6 Agent
    edited November 2013
    I thought the whole McClory / Thunderball mess was sorted prior to CR-06, which in part enabled that films production? I hope we don't get a reboot of Blofeld and Spectre. Bond is capable of much more than plagerising itself unlike the Abramsverse version of Trek.

Oh and Stellan Skarsgard would be great casting if you ask me!
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
    I suppose it's pointless to pick the flaws in that article? :#
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,774MI6 Agent
    edited November 2013
    Pretty much Barbel, I didn't even click on it! Unless Eon say it, its a case of Thank You and Good Night! My previous post is my "what if" take.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    I have always hoped for a return of spectre, Back when Brossa was Bond I would have like to have seen Blofelds daughter up against him :o

But now, Im with some of you guys and would like to see Quantum become SPRCTRE, Mr White already set it up with pointing out we are everywhere, like SPECTRE their testicles everywhere :D

But make Blofeld cool but creepy with some nasty b@stard side kick -{
    I'd like to see Blofeld get his hands dirty and taking an active role like in OHMSS

• BIG TAMBIG TAM Wrexham, North Wales, UK.Posts: 773MI6 Agent
    I've read today it's official EON now have all rights to SPECTRE, Blofeld, etc. And all the better for it in my opinion!
  • Kent007Kent007 Posts: 338MI6 Agent
    If it's going to happen, I'd like to see Blofeld become the head of Quantum.
    I don't see the point of bringing in a new organisation when the producers have already left one unresolved.
    "You are about to wake when you dream that you are dreaming"