Logan hints at Bond 24 news

Nice to hear some news I suppose, though not much

From Mi6 website

Logan is contracted to pen the next two Bond outings, with director Sam Mendes returning from "Skyfall".

When questioned about what he could say so far about Bond 24, he said: ""All I can say about Bond is that I'm happily writing it. Sam Mendes would rappel through the window and kill me."

"My goal is to write a great movie that's appropriate, to build on what we did on Skyfall, but make it its own unique animal. The themes, ideas and the characters from Skyfall can obviously continue on, because it is a franchise, and it is an ongoing story. So I think there's resonance from Skyfall in the new movie. I grew up on the Bond movies. The first one I saw was Diamonds Are Forever, when I was a kid. I just loved them to pieces. I love all the elements, from the books - mostly from the novels; going back to Ian Fleming is where I started with Skyfall - and there's certainly elements of the movies and the novels that we've brought into the new movie, as they did into Skyfall."

Logan rounded out the Bond 24 questioning on the subject of whether or not Blofeld would return to the series now that the legal rights have been cleared up: "You know, I think our villain's appropriate to the story we're telling," he teased.
Instagram - bondclothes007

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    :)) He's not giving much away :D . Thanks for posting.
    Nice to know he's using the Books as a foundation for his script.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,558Chief of Staff
    You would think that the script is written now...with only minor changes going on...due to actual locations picked and certain actors hired...
    YNWA 97
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    You would think that the script is written now...with only minor changes going on...due to actual locations picked and certain actors hired...

Has locations been picked??

Yeah like to see he mentions the books etc. Then again I think they always say that
    Also has DC got a film project in the works, guess he has 10 months free before shooting begins
    I think they must be scouting film locations at the very least...but I would reckon they must be tieing them up now - it must take a fair while to prepare to shoot in some locations....
    No idea about DC film-wise...he may need three months - at least - to get into 'Bond' shape :D
    YNWA 97
    Yeah must have been around this mark when we knew they had scouted Turkey and the bridge etc from the PTS was leaked. Guess in the coming months info will start leaking out!!!

This time I might avoid the clips. I honestly did not enjoy the Skyfall PTS in the cinemas as I felt like I had already seen it!!!!

Then again easier said then done...
    I too think this time I'll try ( as best I can ) to avoid too many clips, photos etc, :D
    Well I'll try. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Yeah must have been around this mark when we knew they had scouted Turkey and the bridge etc from the PTS was leaked. Guess in the coming months info will start leaking out!!!

I guess its down to complexity of filming and the location itself...plus the need for any model/set building back at Pinewood...
    welshboy78 wrote:
    his time I might avoid the clips. I honestly did not enjoy the Skyfall PTS in the cinemas as I felt like I had already seen it!!!!

I just can't keep away and can't stop myself from trying to find out everything :D I read the script for CR before seeing the film, but that didn't spoil it for me one bit !
    YNWA 97
    Yeah. The Trailers were fine etc it was EON releasing those damn trailer teaser clips. Think the PTS one was quite lengthy, if I remember rightly, add the official trailer and you sort of pieced it all together far too easily.

Felt I had seen it, knew the location order hence all mapped out and only little minor things were the surprise!!!

Ah sod it, will happen again!!!
  • Mr MalloryMr Mallory North by northwestPosts: 632MI6 Agent
    Is this the start of the leaks.
    What makes you think this is my first time?
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,792MI6 Agent
    I loved Skyfall and Logan is a very good writer, but I have some fears. Many writers nowadays feel every lead character in every movie must have an "arch". He/she must change as a person and experience life-changing events during the movie or the movie is somehow wrong. I have no problems with the occational movie such as OHMSS, LTK, CR and Skyfall where we see the events have a real impact on Bond. But most Bond movies should be about 007 getting a mission, killing villan and getting the girl at the end. I really hope Logan doesn't feel he has to kill Leiter, Q or any other series regular, put Bond in rehab, make him go 'rogue' (happens in all Mission Impossible-movies) or send him out to revenge something/someone every movie.
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:

This time I might avoid the clips. I honestly did not enjoy the Skyfall PTS in the cinemas as I felt like I had already seen it!!!!

India was initially going to be used for the train sequence and rumors of scouting in India came out in April 2011, so we may have a few more months to wait on that score.

OTOH, by this point in 2011 there were already high quality rumors that Javier Bardem was going to play the villain in Bond 23.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    If writing doesn't work out, Logan can always pursue a career in politics. . .look at all the words he used to say absolutely nothing!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    :)) :)) True.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I loved Skyfall and Logan is a very good writer, but I have some fears. Many writers nowadays feel every lead character in every movie must have an "arch". He/she must change as a person and experience life-changing events during the movie or the movie is somehow wrong. I have no problems with the occational movie such as OHMSS, LTK, CR and Skyfall where we see the events have a real impact on Bond. But most Bond movies should be about 007 getting a mission, killing villan and getting the girl at the end. I really hope Logan doesn't feel he has to kill Leiter, Q or any other series regular, put Bond in rehab, make him go 'rogue' (happens in all Mission Impossible-movies) or send him out to revenge something/someone every movie.
    They don't have to be exclusive and probably shouldn't be, but the modern take -- unless something literally is episodic -- is to have a character go through the motions of change but be the same in the next film. It's what I call the Star Trek effect. How many times did we see characters like Spock or Data go through angsty and seemingly meaningful changes in one film only to be the same character again the next? So, it's all just much ado about nothing. Once in a great while something comes along that is more literate, but it's usually just formulaic.

I don't think Logan is a great writer. He's better than some, but I've not been terribly impressed by any of his work. He's like a screenwriting version of The Gap.
  • james362001james362001 Lancaster, California USAPosts: 338MI6 Agent
    We all have read that Barbara Broccoli and John Logan were in Ireland. Broccoli was nice enough to say, I hope we will come here to film whether it is a Bond or another story". "I'd love to come here and make a Bond film". John Logan already temporarily relocated to Ireland so he can work on "Penny Dreadful".
    I do believe it would be a first, if a James Bond movie were to film in Ireland.
    Gassy Man wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    They don't have to be exclusive and probably shouldn't be, but the modern take -- unless something literally is episodic -- is to have a character go through the motions of change but be the same in the next film. It's what I call the Star Trek effect. How many times did we see characters like Spock or Data go through angsty and seemingly meaningful changes in one film only to be the same character again the next? So, it's all just much ado about nothing. Once in a great while something comes along that is more literate, but it's usually just formulaic.

I don't think Logan is a great writer. He's better than some, but I've not been terribly impressed by any of his work. He's like a screenwriting version of The Gap.

You make good points. But then we may ask: why then this compulsion about giving Bond an arc in every movie since "the Star Trek effect" makes the arc pointless?
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    edited January 2014
    A good question No 24. The answer is "if it worked for them, it will work for me."

The last two Trek films were crap on many levels, but they did three things well. Good casting, fancy visuals, and made a lot of money. All while telling no plausable story at all. It proves an action film can make a ridiculous amount of money with the right PR machine behind it and the script can have no backbone, so no repercussions such as fans that a favorite character has been written off, or worrying about complicated plot elements spilling into a sequel. It also means a rival formula that is successful can be copied with no accusation of plagiarism. Tv has been doing it for decades. Writers are to scared of taking chances, or risking something original, with a multi million target in the balance.

Personally I suspect the plot blunders in Skyfall were Logan's fault. I don't have faith in his writing skills at all!
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    But then we may ask: why then this compulsion about giving Bond an arc in every movie since "the Star Trek effect" makes the arc pointless?

From a creative standpoint: none of the creative team should be overly concerned with what cumulative effect an arc does or doesn't have on the franchise. They should be creating a good story within the opening and closing credits. That usually means a "journey" of some kind.

From a business standpoint: Catering to a fanbase is self-sabotage. The fanbase will show up to anything. They need to generate good word of mouth (Bigger! Better! Different!) to meet box office expectations.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:

I'm with you. As much as I enjoyed SF, I believe I would have enjoyed it more if I had avoided the clips.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    I don't believe writing a plot where the lead has arc is any easier than just writing a story where the lead stays the same. How was CR in any way easier to write than TLD or TB? I think the reason many writers feel compelled to give the lead an arc is that they think they must because this is (God, I'm struggling to find the right English phrase for this!) ....... standard school of thinking among filmmakers, studios and filmmakers today. I'm not saying movies like Fast & Furious or Transformers bother with that kind of thing, but movies with any kind of artistic pretentions somehow needs an arc.
    The Arc, for me at least worked well in, Raiders of the lost ........... :))
    I don't mind an arc where it fits the story. The Bond movies where you might say Bond has an arc are some of the best (OHMSS, LTK, CR). It's the compulsion to have on in every movie I mind ("Good villan and mission, but where is Bond's arc? X-( )
    I was thinking that Fleming did a story arc with the books TB, OHMSS and YOLT.
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent
    Fleming had Bond straight-up fall in love in just about every book! :)) The movies took out Bond's "arc", Fleming didn't.
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I don't mind an arc where it fits the story. The Bond movies where you might say Bond has an arc are some of the best (OHMSS, LTK, CR). It's the compulsion to have on in every movie I mind ("Good villan and mission, but where is Bond's arc? X-( )

I agree. I want an episodic feel like old times
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
    Number24 wrote:
    Gassy Man wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

You make good points. But then we may ask: why then this compulsion about giving Bond an arc in every movie since "the Star Trek effect" makes the arc pointless?
    It's the formula. Books on screenwriting, as well as most university screenwriting classes, push it.
    Number24 wrote:
    But then we may ask: why then this compulsion about giving Bond an arc in every movie since "the Star Trek effect" makes the arc pointless?

From a creative standpoint: none of the creative team should be overly concerned with what cumulative effect an arc does or doesn't have on the franchise. They should be creating a good story within the opening and closing credits. That usually means a "journey" of some kind.

From a business standpoint: Catering to a fanbase is self-sabotage. The fanbase will show up to anything. They need to generate good word of mouth (Bigger! Better! Different!) to meet box office expectations.
    And yet the reboots of the Batman and Star Trek franchises relied heavily on fanboy interests. Even Bond as we're seeing him assumes audiences are aware of details rather obscure to general audiences (Bond is an orphan, of Scots-Swiss ancestry, etc.) but well known to serious fans.