Meeting Q

CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
If this subject has been covered in another post , I apologize.

I've seen SF a number of times and have been able to explain away to my satisfaction a lot of scenes that many have had problems with. However, there is one that I cannot bring any logic to (I know, it's a Bond film, so what's the point?).
It is the first meeing between Bond and the new Q.

I realize screenwriters relish coming up with memorable scenes in film to make a dramatic or humorist point and if there is some amount of actual logic and reasoning behind the scene, the better. So....

Why was this meeting set up in such a public place? In previous films or in the novels, Bond would have gone to Q Branch to meet him and receive his equipment. If they still wanted to do the dialogue regarding the painting, just have a copy of it somewhere in the branch (on a magazine cover Bond is looking at, on someone's desktop wallpaper, anything).

Now, if Q was on his lunch break enjoying the museum and they told Bond to meet him there, fine. However, picking this place to equip Bond? Does the Gallery have metal detectors one must pass through? I do know they are equipped with Dallmeier surveillance cameras and recorders for theft and insurance. Surely Q giving Bond the open box showing the the pistol would be picked up on a camera and this is something both would be award of.

If anyone has any logical explanation for the locale of this scene, I would love to here it!

Comments

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff
    Because Q-Branch didn't have their premises ready after the explosion....I thought that was explained in the dialogue ?
    YNWA 97
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Interesting that you mention the Novels, as Q hardly appears in them. Only getting mentioned a couple of Times when Bond Picks up his Equipment before going off on an Assignment.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    No metal detectors in the NG. Good job too. A friend in the film industry met me at the same location to give me a similar box. He thought it would make it memorable. It certainly did. The place was packed.

There was no logical reason for Bond to meet Q there. Mendes wanted Skyfall to really show London and its atmosphere and vibe. The National Gallery and Trafalgar Square along with Constable's work in one scene did that. No logic at all, but it's one of my favourite scenes of any Bond film. That and Bond running in the middle of the road up Whitehall. I think this is one of the main reasons I like Skyfall so much as it has many London scenes. I recognised Cadogan Square right away even from that small dimly lit shot in the rain.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    Interesting that you mention the Novels, as Q hardly appears in them. Only getting mentioned a couple of Times when Bond Picks up his Equipment before going off on an Assignment.

No Q in the novels. Only Q branch is mentioned. Fleming's novels that is.
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    The Gardner Books opens up Q Branch a lot more then what Fleming's did.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    Certainly does. Who can forget Q'ute, as much as I've really tried :))
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Agreed, mi6 had been attacked, Q was still setting up and it showed more of London. I think
    it's a brilliant scene funny in places ( as other Q scenes ) with Q still wishing for the return
    of his equipment. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    In the real spy world, it's quite common for exchanges of information etc to happen in very public places, although I would imagine certainly in a more covert manner than opening a box while sitting together on a bench in a busy gallery! So the location may not be quite as ridiculous as it seems, even if the manner is. In addition, it was indeed a superb scene and I'll give Mendes and everyone involved a little leeway on this one!
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    Thanks for all the input. I too enjoyed the scene and the dialogue and how much they showed London. Thanks Asp9mm - it's nice to know someone actually did the same and had no problems, and I'm good with the idea that they were still getting Q's section set up so the meeting outside HQ makes sense.

When referring to Bond getting equipped by Q in the novels I was not referring to an actual incident but to the idea that it's what he probably did on certain occasions if he did get a weapon or gadget from him.