Bond 24 directly connected with "Skyfall"

MrZarebaMrZareba Krakow, PolandPosts: 1,775MI6 Agent
Basing on this article, Bond 24 will be a second part of the Skyfall story O.o

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/04/30/sam-mendes-explains-the-connection-between-skyfall-and-bond-24

Comments

• AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    'Characters have Aged' Will Bond 24 take place Years after Skyfall?
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Smiert-SpionamSmiert-Spionam Posts: 318MI6 Agent
    Essentially the characters who are returning could only be the ones we were expecting anyway surely? Those being Bond, Mallory (M), Eve Moneypenny, Q and Tanner. Anyone else of any note was killed off unless Kincade makes a return although I can't see it. Also how are they going to age the characters exactly? Bond was already looking knackered in Skyfall, surely they can't age him too much unless they are going for a Roger Moore AVTAK vibe :))
    Smiert Spionam
    Maybe Moore will make a Cameo? :))
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I wonder if they will have Silva as a past member of Quantum. As he talked
    about toppling governments, fixing stock prices, all the stuff Quantum would
    do ?
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Kent007Kent007 Posts: 338MI6 Agent
    Mendes obviously feels as if Moneypenny, Q and the new M haven't developed to the point in which he'd be happy to leave them yet.

He says it's not going to be narrative continuation, just a thematic one and after Skyfall, I trust his judgement.

I sort of hope the development is focused on the MI6 regulars. I don't think I could take another film on the development of Bond! Thankfully the MI6 regulars are played by terrific actors so any story line Mendes/Logan have in mind should be put across on the screen effectively.
    "You are about to wake when you dream that you are dreaming"
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    The article quotes "While the film isn't a 'direct narrative connection,' it features returning characters from Skyfall, now aged and clearly affected by the previous film."
    To me, that simply means we will see all the new characters bedded into their new roles, established and experienced. For Bond and Tanner, it will be interesting to see how they fit into the new set up, especially with M - Maly!

Re the Silva was part of Quantum idea, ita a delicious theory, but it falls apart under scrutiny. Silva could have got to M - Manf at any time if agents like Mitchell were at M's side and could have done it with no one the wiser till it was far too late. Plus it would not do Quantum any good having a rogue force drawing attention to them. Esp after Bond put them on MI6's radar in the first place!
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
    Good point but I'll counter with, ... Silva wasn't exactly "stable" so might
    have went off on his own for revenge, an action not sanctioned by
    Quantum. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,758MI6 Agent
    I wonder what themes will return: Old vs new? Bond's age? bond's relevance in the modern world? Perhaps killer drones as "competitors" to Bond and maybe a villan who wants to get revenge for drone attacks?
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    They dragged their feet for four years to make the last one . . . at that pace, of course everyone will age noticeably.
    edited May 2014

Reverse Counterpoint! :D White bumps off LeChiffe as he failed to keep his word (twice) smudging Quantums reputatuon. Greene gets the lead pellets, both immediately after they became unacceptable liabilities. Its doubtful that Quantum would allow Silva to get away with any unauthorised action, they would know about it before anyone else would!
    We know Mitchell was a Quantum agent. So was Guy Haynes. Who else dashing about in the SIS building or the House of Commons could be too? :v

Gassy, you make a good point, but in this one instance - if the story is written well, it could work out in the audiences favour. After so much focus in Bonds 'establishment and background' I am ready to see him surrounded by seasoned professionals who know their jobs and his strengths well as he does, in a new M-Maly era MI6. Plus it could give a semi sequel payoff to SF, that was lacking in QoS being a direct sequel to CR-06. As I say, it depends on the writing.
    Ah! No fair, you're using logic againts me. :D -{
  • ZorinIndustriesZorinIndustries United StatesPosts: 837MI6 Agent
    As long as it's not a continuation like CR to QoS, it should be fine.

From what I took away from the article, it shouldn't be like it was in '08. I'm personally not a fan of sequels in the Bond franchise. I think each film should stand alone in terms of plot.

We'll see where Mr. Logan takes us!
    "Better luck next time... slugheads!"

1. GoldenEye 2. Goldfinger 3. Skyfall 4. OHMSS 5. TWINE
  • Colonel ShatnerColonel Shatner Chavtastic Bristol, BritainPosts: 574MI6 Agent
    edited May 2014
    I wonder if they will have Silva as a past member of Quantum. As he talked
    about toppling governments, fixing stock prices, all the stuff Quantum would
    do ?

I would love the idea that Silva's group was allied to (or subcontracted by) Quantum - Silva's computer talents helped to advance Quantum's global activities and in return Quantum helped the logistical side of his oddly huge operation to knock off Dench M (like the small army of mercenaries and helicopter, etc). And the death of Dench's character was part of Quantum's plan to install their guy, Voldemort, at the head of MI6. Also Tim Pigott-Smith's Foreign Secretary who seemed to be stonewalling the orginal M from Quantum of Solace is revealed to be another member of Quantum ('Hail Quantum...' :)) ).
    'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...'
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent

Gassy, you make a good point, but in this one instance - if the story is written well, it could work out in the audiences favour. After so much focus in Bonds 'establishment and background' I am ready to see him surrounded by seasoned professionals who know their jobs and his strengths well as he does, in a new M-Maly era MI6. Plus it could give a semi sequel payoff to SF, that was lacking in QoS being a direct sequel to CR-06. As I say, it depends on the writing.
    It reminds me of the three Star Trek movies in the 80s. They took six or seven years to tell one long story that in movietime was only supposed to be a few months apart. In the meantime, Shatner got fatter and fatter, and though they slathered on the makeup, they all obviously aged. In the meantime, they could have just told three strong standalone stories, instead of one great one, one so-so one, and would funny one.

I would like to see the Bonds get rolling again. Let's tell some good standalone stories. They seem be emulating the approach of Lord of the Rings or the Batman movies.
    edited May 2014
    Interesting examples - I love Treks II - IV, and Batman Begins was a great film followed by two self indulgent long winded yarns that were far too long in getting anywhere, and in the third insisted on reminding the audience whos who from the first film!.
    I agree the Bond films are best as stand alone films, but a little "in universe" continuity that only applies to for example the Craig era would not disrupt that.

Re Shatner he has always been fat since the first films. He just made the mistake of trying to get in better shape at the start of each film then stopped as they went along! :D
    I don't like the " Fattist " tone this thread is taking. Shatner is a hero to all
    Fat blokes, everywhere ! :))
    Shatner to be Bond Number 7 :))
    I'm the first to admit I am big and round! Mr Shatner shoyld have had the decency not to try and hide it! ;)
    I have used the old joke,
    " I'm in great shape!, ...................... Round is a shape Isn't it ? " :))

I'm a bit of a Star Trek fan as well ( Not huge, but grew up watching it ) and have a couple
    of books on its history, and they say Shatner always had a problem with his weight. Even
    way back in the 60s.
    Just like Connery was really going grey as early as FRWL :))
    Although I do find it funny that if you have a drink or drug problem.
    People have a lot of sympathy for you but, eating too much is looked
    on as no self will etc. :)) so people take the piss with no sympathy.
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    I'm happy that there is a continuation from Skyfall... I mean, we've got to see more of the new M, and Moneypenny... it would be odd not too surely?

And I agree with Kent007... I think we've seen enough of Bond's development, and it's time to see the others develop, or just have more emphasis on Bond being Bond... girls, Martinis and having a bit of fun :007) (for a change!)
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Lexi wrote:
    I'm happy that there is a continuation from Skyfall... I mean, we've got to see more of the new M, and Moneypenny... it would be odd not too surely?

And I agree with Kent007... I think we've seen enough of Bond's development, and it's time to see the others develop, or just have more emphasis on Bond being Bond... girls, Martinis and having a bit of fun :007) (for a change!)

I think you'll be disappointed on the last score. The themes of Craig's Bond films have been: Trust, loyalty, secrets, deceit, betrayal, pain (physical and emotional), and revenge. I doubt that'll change much.

Craig will always be the suffering Bond.

And I'm guessing in the last two films we'll find out that his parents deaths weren't an accident.

Then we'll get a reboot and it'll be pigeon double takes and Sheriff JW Pepper all the way.
    Gala Brand wrote :
    Then we'll get a reboot and it'll be pigeon double takes and Sheriff JW Pepper all the way.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!! :)) :)) :))
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Gala Brand wrote:
    Lexi wrote:

I think you'll be disappointed on the last score. The themes of Craig's Bond films have been: Trust, loyalty, secrets, deceit, betrayal, pain (physical and emotional), and revenge. I doubt that'll change much.

Craig will always be the suffering Bond.

And I'm guessing in the last two films we'll find out that his parents deaths weren't an accident.

Well, we can but dream.

We keep hearing about how Craig is reading the books and re-watching the films... so surely we can have a bit of fun somewhere along the line??? I know he's uncomfortable with the Moore style humour.. and good for him for not trying (if it results in something really strained) however his few one liners in QoS were spot on... and I would like to see more of those at least in the future!
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    I have posted before,( But I'm going to keep hammering it home :)) ) I thought they got the level of
    Humour just about perfect with Skyfall. For Me Craig suits the Dark humour, even almost cruel One-liners
    in the style of the early Connery films. Along with the odd little smile here and there. -{
    I thought for parts of Skyfall Bond was having fun, Craig seemed to be relaxed and enjoying the little bits
    of comedy he had. Apart from the "Deep Water" line after the death of Silva, which I thought was not needed
    as it fell between two dramatic deaths.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    I have posted before,( But I'm going to keep hammering it home :)) ) I thought they got the level of
    Humour just about perfect with Skyfall. For Me Craig suits the Dark humour, even almost cruel One-liners
    in the style of the early Connery films. Along with the odd little smile here and there. -{
    I thought for parts of Skyfall Bond was having fun, Craig seemed to be relaxed and enjoying the little bits
    of comedy he had. Apart from the "Deep Water" line after the death of Silva, which I thought was not needed
    as it fell between two dramatic deaths.

+1
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • SpangledWebSpangledWeb Station P, USAPosts: 24MI6 Agent
    Did anyone else notice that the article said that Mendes and Logan were returning for Bond 25 as well?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/30/sam-mendes-explains-the-connection-between-skyfall-and-bond-24

Either this is a factual error in the report, or I've missed a major news update!
    Thanks for posting, Although this is basically the OP of this
    Thread. {[]
  • SpangledWebSpangledWeb Station P, USAPosts: 24MI6 Agent
    Thanks for posting, Although this is basically the OP of this
    Thread. {[]

Thanks for the Cheers, TP, but my point was that the article mentioned Mendes/Logan returning for Bond 24 AND Bond 25.

From the article:

"Mendes also reveals that while he and screenwriter John Logan will return for Bond 25, it will not be a direct continuation of Bond 24."

Having not heard this before, and assuming it was an error, I was wondering if anyone else had picked up on it. -{