51

Re: Which Films have the best and worst scores?

Overall: TLD

Barry: TLD
Arnold: QoS
Other: FYEO

Worst Barry: AVTAK - Best title song from all the Bonds, but the score doesn't work as well as TND does in the same attempted style.
Worst Arnold: TND - not enough structure, too experimental, tries to incorporate too much Barry influence.
Worst Other: GE - We Share The Same Passions is good but the rest is bloody odd.

1. TWINE  2. FYEO  3. MR  4. TLD  5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS  7. DN  8. OP  9. AVTAK  10. TMWTGG  11. QoS 12. GE  13. CR  14. TB  15. FRWL  16. LTK  17. GF  18. SF  19. LaLD  20. YOLT  21. TND  22. DAD  23. DAF.

"If you'll forgive me, that's a little too scented for my palate."

52

Re: Which Films have the best and worst scores?

For mine Thunderball is the best. The scores of OHMSS, YOLT and DAF round out my top four.

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974; It's a scientific fact". -  Homer J Simpson

53

Re: Which Films have the best and worst scores?

Good choices, OGG007, and welcome to AJB! We have a thread in Off-Topic http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/34154/wel … s/page/61/ where you can say hello to us all, if you like.

54

Re: Which Films have the best and worst scores?

AlphaOmegaSin wrote:

I don't think there was a bad John Barry Score. Even TMWTGG  ajb007/martini

+1 ajb007/cheers

"Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."

55

Re: Which Films have the best and worst scores?

Blackleiter wrote:
AlphaOmegaSin wrote:

I don't think there was a bad John Barry Score. Even TMWTGG  ajb007/martini

+1 ajb007/cheers

I agree as well. TMWTGG is probably just the least interesting of Barry's Bond scores, though it defined the new sound Barry would use for Moore's Bond, which was clearly a lot different from the Connery sound.

56

Re: Which Films have the best and worst scores?

TMWTGG is usually regarded as the weakest of Barry's Bond scores.
Usually JB would compose a secondary theme (eg TB has "Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang", OHMSS has "We Have All The Time In The World") but here he relies on his main theme whether for love scenes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_rvOxJ-HWo or action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIYGopyS-RY. This approach worked just fine with GF, but much less so here. Granted, he had a limited time to work on his music for this film- two weeks- but even here he manages to provide variety https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wmrceGewqI and colour https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pmpS0vl0mw as well as humour https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKNPRAGQANM
He had done far, far better work before- and would do later- but his work still sounds like James Bond music should, and even at his weakest he still outshines those who would come after.

57

Re: Which Films have the best and worst scores?

Barbel wrote:

TMWTGG is usually regarded as the weakest of Barry's Bond scores.
Usually JB would compose a secondary theme (eg TB has "Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang", OHMSS has "We Have All The Time In The World") but here he relies on his main theme whether for love scenes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_rvOxJ-HWo or action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIYGopyS-RY. This approach worked just fine with GF, but much less so here. Granted, he had a limited time to work on his music for this film- two weeks- but even here he manages to provide variety https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wmrceGewqI and colour https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pmpS0vl0mw as well as humour https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKNPRAGQANM
He had done far, far better work before- and would do later- but his work still sounds like James Bond music should, and even at his weakest he still outshines those who would come after.

Though it only has one theme, there are meaningful repeating motifs throughout the score as well.

58

Re: Which Films have the best and worst scores?

Barbel wrote:

He had done far, far better work before- and would do later- but his work still sounds like James Bond music should, and even at his weakest he still outshines those who would come after.

Precisely! ajb007/cheers

"Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."

59

Re: Which Films have the best and worst scores?

To me For Your Eyes Only is one of the worst scores. I would put OHMSS as a potential favourite of mine.

"Mango, banana and tangerine. Sugar and ackee and cocoa bean!"

60

Re: Which Films have the best and worst scores?

Best for me OHMSS & TND....saw Spectre yesterday and...................PLEASE, PLEASE. PLEASE bring back David Arnold!!!!!

61

Re: Which Films have the best and worst scores?

Living Daylights, Moonraker, and OHMSS are the best for me. Worst for me, probably Dr. No or Goldeneye.  Spectre was nice, but I was hoping for something else.

62

Re: Which Films have the best and worst scores?

Hello Oddjob..etc,  and welcome to AJB- please, introduce yourself to us here http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/34154/wel … s/page/63/ and have a look at our introduction for new members http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/45180/int … the-forum/.

63

Re: Which Films have the best and worst scores?

For me there is no "worst" or "best" score. There is something good in all of the scores to find.

Overall if I must choose, I'd say TLD is the best and Skyfall is the worst.

Skyfall because it could be ANY common action movie score, nothing in there that identifies Bond.
And I am saying this as a fan of Thomas Newman in general.

Here is a list of some of my favourite tracks from the 24 soundtracks:

007-John Barry (FRWL & TB)

Capsule In Space-John Barry (YOLT)

OHMSS-John Barry (this is the best piece of instrumental music ever and even one of the best tracks ever and I absolutely LOVE the Propellerhead's version of it)

Bond Meets Solitaire-George Martin (LALD)

Bond77-Marvin Hamlisch (TSWLM)

The Palace Fight-John Barry (OP)

Snow Job-John Barry (AVTAK)

Necros Attacks-John Barry (TLD)
Ice Chase-John Barry (TLD)

The GoldenEye Overture - Eric Serra

Backseat Driver-Propellerheads (TND)

Come In 007, Your Time Is Up-David Arnold (TWINE)
Ice Bandits-David Arnold (TWINE)

Hovercraft Chase-David Arnold (DAD)

Night At The Opera-David Arnold (QOS)

Grand Bazaar Istanbul-Thomas Newman (SF)

Backfire-Thomas Newman (SP)


Furthermore I absolutely love:
Where Has Everybody's Gone & If There Was A Man-The Pretenders (TLD)
James Bond Theme-Moby (TND)
James Bond Theme-Paul Oakenfold (DAD)

Dalton Rulez™

64

Re: Which Films have the best and worst scores?

Best:

LALD
TSWLM
FYEO
AVTAK
LTK
GE
TND
DAD
CR

Worst:
TMWTGG
SP (Purely for its lack of originality)

1.LTK  2.AVTAK  3.OP  4.FYEO  5.TND  6.LALD  7.GE  8.GF  9.TSWLM  10.SPECTRE  11.SF  12.MR 13.YOLT  14.TLD  15.CR (06)  16.TMWTGG  17.TB  18.FRWL  19.TWINE  20.OHMSS  21.DAF  22.DAD  23.QoS  24.NSNA  25.DN  26.CR (67)

65

Re: Which Films have the best and worst scores?

I'm going to update mine after Spectre, since it deserves to be amongst the worst.

Top 5:
1. The Living Daylights
2. Moonraker
3. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
4. Octopussy
5. Diamonds Are Forever

Bottom 5.
20. Dr. No
21. Licence to Kill
22. Skyfall
23. GoldenEye
24. Spectre

Ranking the scores is much easier than ranking the films! To complete them:

6. You Only Live Twice
7. A View to a Kill
8. Thunderball
9. Goldfinger
10. For Your Eyes Only
11. From Russia with Love
12. The Man with the Golden Gun
13. Live and Let Die
14. The Spy Who Loved Me
15. Tomorrow Never Dies
16. The World Is Not Enough
17. Quantum of Solace
18. Casino Royale
19. Die Another Day

The bottom five are far below the rest. FYEO is a tricky one because I love the music but I don't like it in the context of a Bond film.

66

Re: Which Films have the best and worst scores?

This list is nearly the same as mine would be. ajb007/martini Although I do like the QOS soundtrack just for that opera house track.

Matt S wrote:

I'm going to update mine after Spectre, since it deserves to be amongst the worst.

Top 5:
1. The Living Daylights
2. Moonraker
3. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
4. Octopussy
5. Diamonds Are Forever

Bottom 5.
20. Dr. No
21. Licence to Kill
22. Skyfall
23. GoldenEye
24. Spectre

Ranking the scores is much easier than ranking the films! To complete them:

6. You Only Live Twice
7. A View to a Kill
8. Thunderball
9. Goldfinger
10. For Your Eyes Only
11. From Russia with Love
12. The Man with the Golden Gun
13. Live and Let Die
14. The Spy Who Loved Me
15. Tomorrow Never Dies
16. The World Is Not Enough
17. Quantum of Solace
18. Casino Royale
19. Die Another Day

The bottom five are far below the rest. FYEO is a tricky one because I love the music but I don't like it in the context of a Bond film.

67

Re: Which Films have the best and worst scores?

Oddjoblofeldraxorin wrote:

This list is nearly the same as mine would be. ajb007/martini Although I do like the QOS soundtrack just for that opera house track.

Matt S wrote:

I'm going to update mine after Spectre, since it deserves to be amongst the worst.

Top 5:
1. The Living Daylights
2. Moonraker
3. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
4. Octopussy
5. Diamonds Are Forever

Bottom 5.
20. Dr. No
21. Licence to Kill
22. Skyfall
23. GoldenEye
24. Spectre

Ranking the scores is much easier than ranking the films! To complete them:

6. You Only Live Twice
7. A View to a Kill
8. Thunderball
9. Goldfinger
10. For Your Eyes Only
11. From Russia with Love
12. The Man with the Golden Gun
13. Live and Let Die
14. The Spy Who Loved Me
15. Tomorrow Never Dies
16. The World Is Not Enough
17. Quantum of Solace
18. Casino Royale
19. Die Another Day

The bottom five are far below the rest. FYEO is a tricky one because I love the music but I don't like it in the context of a Bond film.

Yes, that is a brilliant track! It's reminiscent of some of Barry's best tracks.

68

Re: Which Films have the best and worst scores?

Best (Not from best to worst)
GF
TB
OHMSS
TMWTGG
AVTAK
TLD
LTK
GE
TND
DAD
CR
QoS

Worst:
Sp

Just because it's so lazy, I do think the others are fine.

MI6Community: DoubleOGeauss
YouTube: DutchJamesBondFan

69

Re: Which Films have the best and worst scores?

Gotta say, Newman has absolutely done it for me, and my two favorites for the whole series are Skyfall and Spectre. Love every track, I have played every track on Skyfall more than a hundred times, and Spectre will soon have the same effect. Skyfall has consistently been my most listened to score for any movie in my life, the movie is my all time favorite and the score has as profound an impact on me as the film does. The Spectre score is just a cut below it, probably only because its a month old, but it stacks up real well. Here's my full ranking:

1. Skyfall - Thomas Newman
2. Spectre -Thomas Newman
3. On Her Majesty's Secret Service - John Barry
4. Tomorrow Never Dies - David Arnold
5. Goldfinger - John Barry
6. Quantum of Solace - David Arnold
7. Casino Royale - David Arnold
8. Thunderball - John Barry
9. Goldeneye - Eric Serra
10. A View To A Kill - John Barry

Only score I really dislike is Michael Kamen's Licence to Kill. Love his work on Die Hard, but his score for Bond, as well as the movie, belonged in a franchise. Any other 80's action movie trying to rival Die Hard.

1. Skyfall 2. Tomorrow Never Dies 3. From Russia With Love 4. Casino Royale 5. Goldeneye 6. Goldfinger 7. The Spy Who Loved Me 8. On Her Majesty's Secret Service 9. Quantum Of solace 10. Thunderball

70

Re: Which Films have the best and worst scores?

Best:
The Living Daylights - John Barry
On Her Majesty's Secret Service - John Barry
A View to a Kill - John Barry
You Only Live Twice - John Barry
For Your Eyes Only - Bill Conti

Worst:
Dr No - Monty Norman
The Spy Who Loved Me - Marvin Hamlisch
Licence to Kill - Michael Kamen

Guilty Pleasures:
The Man With the Golden Gun - John Barry
Goldeneye - Eric Serra

1. CR 2 OHMSS 3. TSWLM 4. TLD 5. SF 6. GF
7. GE 8. FRwL 9. FYEO 10. LtK 11. DN 12. TMwtGG
13. AVtaK14. TB 15. OP 16. SP 17. TWiNE 18. TND
19. MR 20. LaLD 21. QoS 22. YOLT 23. DAD 24. DAF

71

Re: Which Films have the best and worst scores?

Top 5 Favorites

1. A View To A Kill
2. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
3. GoldenEye
4. Tomorrow Never Dies
5. You Only Live Twice

Good overall everything else.

Top 5 Worst
1. Never Say Never Again (Just going by scores it's the absolute worst.)
2. Spectre.
3. Dr. No.
4. The Spy Who Loved Me.
5. Skyfall.

"No for me."
"You forgot the first rule of Mass Media Elliot! Give the people what they want!!!"
"I never miss..."
"Time to face gravity!"

72

Re: Which Films have the best and worst scores?

I was driving to work yesterday and turned on the radio to hear "Nobody Does It Better" on Smooth FM.  So I listened to it until it finished before switching to Heart FM (my preferred morning station).

They were discussing the best Bond themes!!!!  What are the chances?????

So my top 5:

1. OHMSS
2. LALD
3. Goldeneye
4. Nobody Does It Better
5. You Know My Name

Worst:

1. Dr No
2. Moonraker
3. Die Another Day
4. Diamonds Are Forever
5. You Only Live Twice

73

Re: Which Films have the best and worst scores?

IanT wrote:

I was driving to work yesterday and turned on the radio to hear "Nobody Does It Better" on Smooth FM.  So I listened to it until it finished before switching to Heart FM (my preferred morning station).

They were discussing the best Bond themes!!!!  What are the chances?????

So my top 5:

1. OHMSS
2. LALD
3. Goldeneye
4. Nobody Does It Better
5. You Know My Name

Worst:

1. Dr No
2. Moonraker
3. Die Another Day
4. Diamonds Are Forever
5. You Only Live Twice

Wrong thread. This is for scores, not themes.

74

Re: Which Films have the best and worst scores?

The best: OHMSS, with YOLT a close second.

The worst: Goldeneye

OHMSS, FRWL, DN, GF, CR, GE, SP, YOLT, TB, TSWLM, LALD, TLD, TND, FYEO, SF, MR, TMWTGG, TWINE, OP, AVTAK, DAF, LTK, QOS, DAD

1. Connery 2. Craig 3. Brosnan 4. Dalton 5. Lazenby 6. Moore

75

Re: Which Films have the best and worst scores?

AndrewJK007 wrote:

Gotta say, Newman has absolutely done it for me, and my two favorites for the whole series are Skyfall and Spectre. Love every track, I have played every track on Skyfall more than a hundred times, and Spectre will soon have the same effect. Skyfall has consistently been my most listened to score for any movie in my life, the movie is my all time favorite and the score has as profound an impact on me as the film does. The Spectre score is just a cut below it, probably only because its a month old, but it stacks up real well. Here's my full ranking:

1. Skyfall - Thomas Newman
2. Spectre -Thomas Newman
3. On Her Majesty's Secret Service - John Barry
4. Tomorrow Never Dies - David Arnold
5. Goldfinger - John Barry
6. Quantum of Solace - David Arnold
7. Casino Royale - David Arnold
8. Thunderball - John Barry
9. Goldeneye - Eric Serra
10. A View To A Kill - John Barry

Only score I really dislike is Michael Kamen's Licence to Kill. Love his work on Die Hard, but his score for Bond, as well as the movie, belonged in a franchise. Any other 80's action movie trying to rival Die Hard.

Too bad its been nearly a year since his last post. Would love to know how the SF score had a profound impact on him. I love the score too but I don't think its transcendent or anything.