Should Bond 24 be "Topical"? What Might that Be?

Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
Many Bond films follow broader societal concepts and concerns contemporary to their time -- sometimes too closely, in my opinion. For instance, Quantum of Solace tried to make environmentalism central to its plot, though more to the degree of a Hitchcockian mcguffin than anything else. Should Bond 24 follow suit with a topical theme?

If so, what is happening right now that might make sense? They've done terrorism several times now, though obviously it is still a concern. Social media and privacy? Genetically modified foods? People's frustration with their cell phone and cable companies?

Comments

• cheldcheld Posts: 300MI6 Agent
    Give Mallory a daughter who's an anti-surveillance-state whistle-blower or journalist who teams with Bond to expose government malfeasance.
  • InternationalExportsInternationalExports Posts: 269MI6 Agent
    I think Felix will be back, I think Bond will be on US soil. I also think we could see bond in naval uniform.
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    edited June 2014
    Forget 'topical' let's just bring back a megalomaniac who wants to take over the world ...

Or a good old fashioned Cold War plot ... Hey! That's topical with Vlad the Insaner and his antics in The Crimea .... :v
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I always thought it would be good to have Bond sent after the villain, and
    During the adventure Bond discovers. That's it's really the villain's second
    In command ( double crossing the main villain ) who's really behind it all.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • InternationalExportsInternationalExports Posts: 269MI6 Agent
    I want to see Bond being kidnapped during the middle of the night to awake dazed to the face of Mr White only to be told "you have cost my employer a lot of money Mr Bond, he is not peritcularly the kind of man you want to get on the wrong side of. Turn the chair round bonds vision blurs refocusses to see the hands stroking the white cat camera lift to the face of the man "Indeed I am not Mr Bond, my name is Ernst stavros blofeld. It is a pleasure to meet your aquintance I am not so sure you will feel the same way by the time we are done". Then some story about how Qauntum funds Spectre operations. Back to the old school. :))
    {[] That would be a very nice introduction, :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,704MI6 Agent
    I would like to see Bond after a megalomeniac villan, yes. But a topical twist would be a female journalist who also investigastes the villan for her newspaper. During her work she discovers that Bond is a hitman working for the UK governemnt. Now she has to decide if she wants to publish that story or perhaps she thinks the world needs the 00-section.

Another topical theme is the melting of the poles (no, don't run away - come back!) and the opening of new trade routes north of Russia and Canada and new access to natural recources in the Artic such as uranium an natural gas.
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Topical would also be North Korean "antics", political and economic uncertainty in Southern Europe, and trouble in the Middle East... Any of which could be a potential backdrop to the action.
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    Topical would also be North Korean "antics", political and economic uncertainty in Southern Europe, and trouble in the Middle East... Any of which could be a potential backdrop to the action.

North Korea could certainly take over from were Russia left off. But apart from South Korea I'm not sure the rest of the world takes them seriously enough.

Nothing environmental though. I just have visions of Steven Segals 'On Deadly Ground' . Possibly the worst film ever made. :s
    Steven Segals 'On Deadly Ground' . Possibly the worst film ever made. 8-)

You clearly haven't seen anything with Adam Sandler. :p :))

Russia seems to be moving back to an almost cold war position. ;)

You clearly haven't seen anything with Adam Sandler. :p :))

At least Adam Sandler is supposed to make you laugh ! How he achieves it is another matter ;)
    Did you not find the speech between Seagal and the thug in the bar, about
    Changing the essence of a man Not the most moving speech in a film EVER. :))
    I understand how people can react nagatively when they hear a Bond movie should be " about the envirorment". But Goldeneye was "about" the end of the cold war. TWINE was "about" the control of the transport of natural gas from Russia. It can work if one keeps in mind that you are making an action/adventure movie. I think a Bond movie that focuses on the new challenges of the polar ice pulling back. The major powers are aware of this: China is buying up land and property on Greenland, Iceland and Spitzbergen. Russia is building new military bases on the northern coast and their navy is building icebreakers. Just like TWINE didn't turn out to be a preachy movie about energy supply, this conflict can be made into a great action/adventure movie. If you don't think EON can make better movies than Steven Seagal, why bother being a Bond fan? ?:)
    Who said anything about S Seagal making better films than EON ?
    Lady Rose and I were obviously joking about " on deadly ground "
    I think looking at all those lovely ladies is messing with your mind. :)) :p
    Unless you're picking a fight, in which case you've picked on the wrong
    One this time. Lady Rose isn't known as the London Cougar for nothing
    ( ladies bare knuckle , inter regiment champion ! )
    I'll hold her coat during the fight. :)) ;)
    Im not picking a fight, in fact my tongue was fairly close to my cheek when I wrote it. If there will be a fight, I don't need help holding my virtual chainsaw against her virtual fists. (I'm so brave!)
    :)) :)) :))
    Well if anything should kick off, I'll hold the coats, especially
    If they hold money, car keys etc. ;)
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    I have just one word: Robots.
    Never mind that last post. Topicality? Can't exactly make Russia the bad guy as EON expects to sell a boatload of tickets there.

Christ, I miss the Cold War!
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    Bond movies always did a good job of making the movies topical and contemporary but without using a villain directly from the headlines. That is the reason most of the movies can be considered 'from the times' but not feel dated too much.

When Fleming and co were writing Thunderball they created SPECTRE because they felt the cold war might be over before the movie came out; dating it before it was even released. So they decided to create an organization free from political ideologies that would be 'timeless' in its threath.
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
    +1, Same reason they came up with Quantum, so they could deal with
    a contemporary story but keep it just far enough from real politics.
    Lady Rose isn't known as the London Cougar for nothing

You lot weren't supposed to know about my alter ego !!!

Eon always manage to make their movies relevant is not quite exactly topical.

They just can't offend Russia or China as it would be too big a loss in ticket sales, though a Russian Oligarch would be topical.

I'm definitely ready for a megalomaniac to return. A European one. They're the best.
    I could go for a megalomaniac round about now. :D
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Some topicality is good, but too much can make the film horribly dated. Examples: although set during the Cold War, From Russia with Love still works because it moved the Russians into the background and focused on romance and otherworldly exoticism. However, The Living Daylights--which I still enjoy very much--looks like it came from a time capsule, with its Mujahadeen heroes, Iron Curtain settings, and Soviets as heavies if not entirely as villains. Long story short, I'm hoping for more of a FRWL than a TLD.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,418Chief of Staff
    Lady Rose wrote:
    They just can't offend Russia or China as it would be too big a loss in ticket sales, though a Russian Oligarch would be topical.

Sadly that is all to true... :#
    YNWA 97
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,646MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Lady Rose wrote:

Sadly that is all to true... :#

Market forces and all that jazz...
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    China sensured the killing of the HK nightwatch and the reference to Severine's past as a child prostitute. They are really touchy. Norway is out in the cold since a Chinese dissident was awarded the Nobel peace prize. No Chinese official has spoken to a Norwegian since our "mistake". Really touchy people .....
    They will probably block all screenings of Bond films for decades is China is the villain of Bond 24.
    I thought the concept of Quantum was interesting (although not well executed in QOS). The idea of a super super elite that owes it allegiance to its members and not to any nation states isn't exactly divorced from reality. The irony is that Barbara Broccolli and Michael Wilson would be members of such an elite.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/01/the-rise-of-the-new-global-elite/308343/
    Bond taking on a new world elite, we'd need David Icke as an advisor. :)
  • DaltonFan1DaltonFan1 The West of IrelandPosts: 503MI6 Agent
    Gala Brand wrote:
    I thought the concept of Quantum was interesting (although not well executed in QOS). The idea of a super super elite that owes it allegiance to its members and not to any nation states isn't exactly divorced from reality. The irony is that Barbara Broccolli and Michael Wilson would be members of such an elite.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/01/the-rise-of-the-new-global-elite/308343/

I'm afraid that concept loses all credibility in my mind when it refers to Alan Greenspan as a Libertarian.

That said, I agree with your point. The concept of both Spectre and Quantum is just a group of super-wealthy, ruthless villains using their wealth and influence to do terrible things, in turn making them even more rich and powerful.
    If only Bond would stop popping up at such inconvenient moments.
    “Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to a better understanding of ourselves.” - Carl Jung
  • QuistQuist Posts: 61MI6 Agent
    I always thought a good topic for a Daniel Craig Bond film could be Human Trafficking. One of the most evil things going in the world today and something the villain could use as a means to acheive an end goal of some sought. It would have to be done and handled in the right way obviously.
    Another topic i would like to see again in a Bond movie is Bio or Chemical Terrorism.