Topic: Any whiskey gurus in the house?

Helped my old neighbour today get her heating back on. Her husband recently passed away and in his study has amassed a bit of a whiskey collection.   It was collected in the 80s and all unopened and she was wanting to get rid of it. 

In fact she offered me a bottle for helping her but I didn't want to take one from the collection but would rather pay for some.   Anyhow turns out she has offered the lot to the local pubs but they were not interested as no connoisseurs here and in the bars cheap stuff gets sloshed down with coke ajb007/smile

My friend and I are tempted on going halves and buying the lot - doing some digging some are quite pricey, old Suntorys etc that appear to sell on some vintage whiskey places for over 100 a bottle, some maybe more

Will upload some pics - see if anybody has opinions etc. 36 bottles in collection altogether but no doubt some will be some cheap stuff back in the day

Last edited by welshboy78 (2nd Aug 2014 19:26)

Instagram - bondclothes007

Re: Any whiskey gurus in the house?

Can you sell Spirits on Ebay?

1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

I'm out in the Falklands so wouldn't be an option

ajb007/lol  Why not have a big party and get everyone
so drunk that THEY go and invade Argentina !  ajb007/biggrin

"Let his death be a particularly unpleasant and humiliating one."

Thunderpussy wrote:

ajb007/lol  Why not have a big party and get everyone
so drunk that THEY go and invade Argentina !  ajb007/biggrin

Good idea!!!!!   Just need a rowing boat  ajb007/lol

TP can lead the Charge  ajb007/martini

1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

Waking up with a sore head saying ....
" I hope we didn't do anything crazy last night ?"

Sadly I know nothing of whiskey or whisky.  I
hope someone has some better advice.  ajb007/cheers

Stick to the Crabbies?  ajb007/smile

Here are some pics, theory were on a long shelf going across the room.  Quite a few cheaper brands but believe they are from the 80s

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i89/kultschar/Mobile%20Uploads/0A87FCDD-A631-44AF-9D0B-91B352B4330A_zpsxyrabygm.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i89/kultschar/Mobile%20Uploads/B91688F9-BEE1-4FB8-99A4-D60BA5601B84_zpslkgs4ue8.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i89/kultschar/Mobile%20Uploads/E4514A4C-0AC5-4BA3-AF21-69688F003864_zpstohceltf.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i89/kultschar/Mobile%20Uploads/67DA436F-A58B-480C-BB97-C3886906262E_zpsck7nsodw.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i89/kultschar/Mobile%20Uploads/FECD6DAC-9692-4F8D-9CAC-ABEB86C92341_zpsm6qvbdyz.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i89/kultschar/Mobile%20Uploads/1FCCC078-E02E-4F8E-A51C-1D68801A38DE_zpshf77v0pb.jpg

Just out of interest Welshboy78, how did you get on with your
Whisky collection ? Did you find any jems ? Get them sold ?
Or are you saving them for a huge party ?  ajb007/lol

Ha - funnily enough I still have not got around to buying it off my neighbour!!   I offered her a wedge of cash for it all which she said she was happy to except but I told her to think about it just incase she gets a better offer!!!  Might chase her up this weekend. 

I was watching boardwalk empire last night which always makes me thirsty ajb007/smile   Hence I had a good glug of Bushmills that I received for my birthday this year

Can't go wrong with Bushmills  ajb007/wink   ajb007/cheers
My Father loved the " Black Bush" hence it's the only whisky, I've really
Heard of. I did the trip round their distillery passing on the free sample.
I gave mine ( along with the wife's ) to some American tourist.  ajb007/lol

I can't help you with vintage whiskys but I can highly recommend you:

Glenfarclas 105 cask strength
http://cdn.thewhiskybarrel.com/images/published/3/sources/products/glenfarclas-105-cask-strength.jpg

That idiot Asp9mm recommended the Ardbeg 10 which is as awful as his present watch  ajb007/rolleyes

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

Might be actually the right topic to ask this question: is it true that the Macallan 10 year old is not worth it's price? (which is considerably higher than, let's say, JW Black Label, which is a blended whisky though). I'm asking that because all I read are mediocre reviews (mostly 3 out of 5 stars). The Black Label, which is called sometimes a dog piss next to the Red Label by some of my friends, is cheaper and has better reviews. I'm not quite satisfied with the Black Lable's taste (in comparison with the Gold Label Reserve, which is pretty decent in my opinion) so is it possible the Macalan is worse?!

Once you mix them with some Coke, they all taste fine.   ajb007/lol

Thunderpussy wrote:

You don't mix single malts with Coke!!! Jack Daniel's (not being a whisky at all) is the only "thing" that can be mixed with coke because without it it tastes like a spicy soap! My dad for instance is an absolute whisky extremist and he always says that if whisky was meant to drink with ice, they would be selling it this way!  ajb007/lol While I don't see anything wrong with scotch on the rocks, I'm absolutely against ruining, for example, a Chivas Gold with Coke!

ajb007/lol  I thought I might rattle the cage of a few
whisky drinkers.  ajb007/tongue

Thunderpussy wrote:

Yes ,by all means mix the cheap pub stuff with coke, Bells, Jonny Walker ,Famous Grouse ect,
but never mix the single malts,thats  just not done. ,

By the way, did I tell you,  I was       "Mad"?

Btw. I've been told that whisky+coke is the most unhealthy drink there is, that it's actually poisonous in a way?  ajb007/amazed

Then I'll cut out the coke sir !  ajb007/lol

Just puts Hairs on your Chest

MrZareba wrote:

Btw. I've been told that whisky+coke is the most unhealthy drink there is, that it's actually poisonous in a way?  ajb007/amazed

Yes coke has loads of sugar in it  ajb007/biggrin

By the way, did I tell you,  I was       "Mad"?

On a recent business trip I suprisingly got hooked on a some of the higher end Suntory whiskeys which I assumed would be yuk

I've had the odd bottle of WKD.  ajb007/wink

I would ask my mate Vulcan about this, but he on his hols at the mo.
We have had debates on drinking Scotch. I knock it back straight, he usually adds a little water noting in disgust my habit of hitting it back like shots. I like the short sharp blasts in taste and effect. By contrast, he savours the blend more. Both approaches harness the tay, taysh tashte te and iffecht. Hic!

Personally I consider the idea of mixing in coke vandalism of good scotch! Except Bells or Grouse. Urgh, yuck! I am fond of Aberlour myself. There is an Irish blend that's great too, but I can't remember what it's called!

Last edited by Thunderbird 2 (19th Oct 2014 12:32)

This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?