Any whiskey gurus in the house?

welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
edited August 2014 in Off Topic Chat
Helped my old neighbour today get her heating back on. Her husband recently passed away and in his study has amassed a bit of a whiskey collection. It was collected in the 80s and all unopened and she was wanting to get rid of it.

In fact she offered me a bottle for helping her but I didn't want to take one from the collection but would rather pay for some. Anyhow turns out she has offered the lot to the local pubs but they were not interested as no connoisseurs here and in the bars cheap stuff gets sloshed down with coke :)

My friend and I are tempted on going halves and buying the lot - doing some digging some are quite pricey, old Suntorys etc that appear to sell on some vintage whiskey places for over 100 a bottle, some maybe more

Will upload some pics - see if anybody has opinions etc. 36 bottles in collection altogether but no doubt some will be some cheap stuff back in the day
Instagram - bondclothes007

Comments

• AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Can you sell Spirits on Ebay?
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    I'm out in the Falklands so wouldn't be an option
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    :)) Why not have a big party and get everyone
    so drunk that THEY go and invade Argentina ! :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    :)) Why not have a big party and get everyone
    so drunk that THEY go and invade Argentina ! :D

Good idea!!!!! Just need a rowing boat :))
    TP can lead the Charge -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    Waking up with a sore head saying ....
    " I hope we didn't do anything crazy last night ?"

Sadly I know nothing of whiskey or whisky. I
    hope someone has some better advice. {[]
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Stick to the Crabbies? :)
    Here are some pics, theory were on a long shelf going across the room. Quite a few cheaper brands but believe they are from the 80s

0A87FCDD-A631-44AF-9D0B-91B352B4330A_zpsxyrabygm.jpg
    B91688F9-BEE1-4FB8-99A4-D60BA5601B84_zpslkgs4ue8.jpg
    E4514A4C-0AC5-4BA3-AF21-69688F003864_zpstohceltf.jpg
    67DA436F-A58B-480C-BB97-C3886906262E_zpsck7nsodw.jpg
    FECD6DAC-9692-4F8D-9CAC-ABEB86C92341_zpsm6qvbdyz.jpg
    1FCCC078-E02E-4F8E-A51C-1D68801A38DE_zpshf77v0pb.jpg
    Just out of interest Welshboy78, how did you get on with your
    Whisky collection ? Did you find any jems ? Get them sold ?
    Or are you saving them for a huge party ? :))
    Ha - funnily enough I still have not got around to buying it off my neighbour!! I offered her a wedge of cash for it all which she said she was happy to except but I told her to think about it just incase she gets a better offer!!! Might chase her up this weekend.

I was watching boardwalk empire last night which always makes me thirsty :) Hence I had a good glug of Bushmills that I received for my birthday this year
    Can't go wrong with Bushmills ;) {[]
    My Father loved the " Black Bush" hence it's the only whisky, I've really
    Heard of. I did the trip round their distillery passing on the free sample.
    I gave mine ( along with the wife's ) to some American tourist. :))
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    I can't help you with vintage whiskys but I can highly recommend you:

Glenfarclas 105 cask strength
    glenfarclas-105-cask-strength.jpg

That idiot Asp9mm recommended the Ardbeg 10 which is as awful as his present watch 8-)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • MrZarebaMrZareba Krakow, PolandPosts: 1,775MI6 Agent
    Might be actually the right topic to ask this question: is it true that the Macallan 10 year old is not worth it's price? (which is considerably higher than, let's say, JW Black Label, which is a blended whisky though). I'm asking that because all I read are mediocre reviews (mostly 3 out of 5 stars). The Black Label, which is called sometimes a dog piss next to the Red Label by some of my friends, is cheaper and has better reviews. I'm not quite satisfied with the Black Lable's taste (in comparison with the Gold Label Reserve, which is pretty decent in my opinion) so is it possible the Macalan is worse?!
    Once you mix them with some Coke, they all taste fine. :))

You don't mix single malts with Coke!!! Jack Daniel's (not being a whisky at all) is the only "thing" that can be mixed with coke because without it it tastes like a spicy soap! My dad for instance is an absolute whisky extremist and he always says that if whisky was meant to drink with ice, they would be selling it this way! :)) While I don't see anything wrong with scotch on the rocks, I'm absolutely against ruining, for example, a Chivas Gold with Coke!
    :)) I thought I might rattle the cage of a few
    whisky drinkers. :p
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent

Yes ,by all means mix the cheap pub stuff with coke, Bells, Jonny Walker ,Famous Grouse ect,
    but never mix the single malts,thats just not done. ,
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    Btw. I've been told that whisky+coke is the most unhealthy drink there is, that it's actually poisonous in a way? :o
    Then I'll cut out the coke sir ! :))
    Just puts Hairs on your Chest
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    MrZareba wrote:
    Btw. I've been told that whisky+coke is the most unhealthy drink there is, that it's actually poisonous in a way? :o

Yes coke has loads of sugar in it :D
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    On a recent business trip I suprisingly got hooked on a some of the higher end Suntory whiskeys which I assumed would be yuk
    I've had the odd bottle of WKD. ;)
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,761MI6 Agent
    edited October 2014
    I would ask my mate Vulcan about this, but he on his hols at the mo.
    We have had debates on drinking Scotch. I knock it back straight, he usually adds a little water noting in disgust my habit of hitting it back like shots. I like the short sharp blasts in taste and effect. By contrast, he savours the blend more. Both approaches harness the tay, taysh tashte te and iffecht. Hic!

Personally I consider the idea of mixing in coke vandalism of good scotch! Except Bells or Grouse. Urgh, yuck! I am fond of Aberlour myself. There is an Irish blend that's great too, but I can't remember what it's called!
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
    On the rocks for me but even that is frowned upon by gurus!!
    I'll start by saying I know nothing about this but was
    once told putting ice in whisky was an American idea,
    and not the done thing.
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,761MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:
    On the rocks for me but even that is frowned upon by gurus!!

Not if its Whiskey stones or frozen balls. No dilution. (Face palms) Oh no, I can hear Pussy coming!
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
    I've personally never drunk Scotch :)) I prefer my Beer and Ales.
    Here is an absolutely great video about how to drink good single malts. The guy explains also where did scotch on the rocks came from and why you should add just a little bit of cold water in the glass! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjrkd_RZFFY

As for a good Irish blend - Bushmills maybe Thunderbird 2? :)
    {[] wonderfully entertaining video :D I'm going to
    Have a go at that multiple orgasm ;) I love the
    Little dig at getting his whisky served wrong TWICE
    In England ! :))