A question for gun experts.

ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
I know nothing about guns ( as I think I've proven in another thread) :)
But was wondering tonight .......

In Camera lenses you can have stabilisation, to counter any little shake
In the photographers hand. So ( here comes my stupid question ) is there
Anything like that, a stabilised barrel ? To counter the shake of a soldier's
Hand. Or have I just invented a new Q toy. :))
"I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."

Comments

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    You've just invented something that can go wrong. Guns are simple things, they don't have stabilisation. The recoil would blow it all to crap. A gun is just a tube with a projectile in it that is forced forward very fast by an explosion behind it.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I'm getting a "negative" vibe from your answer, sort of like it wouldn't work ! :))
    As I said, know nothing about them, but if you don't ask you'll never know.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    I'm getting a "negative" vibe from your answer, sort of like it wouldn't work ! :))
    As I said, know nothing about them, but if you don't ask you'll never know.

HI TP im in your camp I don't know sod all about guns except they go bang :D but I do remember reading about the
    famous Tommy gun ,Thompson 45 cal sub-machine gun. I think ,and im sure our very own gun expert ASP9MM will put me
    right :) ,this was or could have been fitted with a Cutts compensator .This was on the end of the barrel ,so when you fired it,some of the gases/flames would be diverted up wards,to help keep the barrel down.I may be totally wrong 8-)
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    :)) It was just one of those ideas that popped into my head last night. My
    Ideas are not for the real world as another I had was ......
    A rifle with a built in GPS targeting system, which ca n communicate with its
    Bullets via WiFi, to correct for " windage" etc. To direct the bullet on target. :))
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    You've just invented something that can go wrong. Guns are simple things, they don't have stabilisation. The recoil would blow it all to crap. A gun is just a tube with a projectile in it that is forced forward very fast by an explosion behind it.

Hey, he has asked the real experts and not morons.....

TP let me tell you that it's a brilliant idea and the first step to a Nikon PPK.

Hope that one projectile finds its way to ASP9mm s balls.
    His head is too small to hit :))
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    For the kind of money I'll be charging it will have to be a Hasselblad. -{
    It may not work but it'll be expensive. :))
    Why do people break windows before shooting out of them in films ?
    As Sometimes they shoot through the windscreen of a car to kill
    Someone ? I know this might be movie science, just wondering. :D
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    Why do people break windows before shooting out of them in films ?
    As Sometimes they shoot through the windscreen of a car to kill
    Someone ? I know this might be movie science, just wondering. :D

Possibly to avoid flying glass at close range as a bullet of course has much more velocity going through a window than does the butt of a gun or some other implement wielded by a human hand.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    Yes, sounds plausible :) , I was only thinking it would sort of tell
    Whom ever was outside that you were about to start shooting. :)
    ( as I said, thought about it last night ) :))
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    Yes, sounds plausible :) , I was only thinking it would sort of tell
    Whom ever was outside that you were about to start shooting. :)
    ( as I said, thought about it last night ) :))

Well, it was just an educated guess really, as I am far from being an expert on guns or ballistics. :)

I suppose the breaking of a window would give a warning, alternatively I suppose that one could just open the window as quietly as possible...
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    :)) yes, sadly in movies they just smash them :D
  • 00730073 COPPosts: 977MI6 Agent
    Shooting through windows in movies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBuAfIjsFVk esp 0:39, 0:43 and 1:05
    "I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    :)) one of my favourite movies, I nearly wet myself laughing at the bits
    With the cow ! :))
    :)) yes, sadly in movies they just smash them :D

Especially the villain. Well you have to give the hero a chance, don't you?! :))

A great twist on this type of thing in films is provided by Scaramanga the film version of TMWTGG where we the audience think that he is about to shoot Bond unmolested but instead shoots energy expert Gibson as he emerges from the Bottoms Up club.
    edited September 2014
    Then there's the more direct approach of the "Charles Bronson Manoeuvre" as demonstrated in the clip below. Here, breaking the glass of a window before firing (or demolishing a wall for that matter) really does not matter very much:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQyrWf7wNT0

:))
    :)) Yes Bronson, tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime ! {[]
    I'd have voted for him . :D
    :)) Yes Bronson, tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime ! {[]
    I'd have voted for him . :D

He certainly had more teeth than Tony Blair! :))
  • stagstag Posts: 2,083MI6 Agent
    I've handled a few firearms in the past (we were taught never to use the 'G' word - they were known as 'weapons'). I'm no expert but perhaps the smaller lighter calibre pistol rounds could possibly be deflected slightly if shooting through thick glass as certain angles (I'm talking .22 or .25 & such, not 9mil). I don't know if it was true but I did hear a story that 5.56mm rounds - rifle rounds - are easily deflected.

As for breaking glass under most circumstances, unless you wanted to announce your arrival prior to opening fire (why?), I can see no practical reason.
    Thanks for that Stagg, {[] I know nothing about them, Luckily on AJB there's usually
    someone who knows something about them ( Or indeed most subjects) {[] and if you
    don't ask, you'll never know. :D
    Thanks for that Stagg, {[] I know nothing about them, Luckily on AJB there's usually
    someone who knows something about them ( Or indeed most subjects) {[] and if you
    don't ask, you'll never know. :D

Yes, thank you indeed, Stagg. It's amazing the expertise we have here on AJB - there's always a member who knows the answer. This is a forum to be rightly proud of! -{
    As I said I'm no expert & don't profess to be. As for the idea of 'guided bullets' which has been put forward here. That technology already exists.

http://www.popsci.com/military-aviation-amp-space/article/2009-06/smart-bullets.
    Bloody Hell, I got one right !!! :)) {[]
    This has to go in my, I thought of it too late pile, along with luminous
    Tattoo ink, to show up under UV light etc. Sadly it already exists :#
    I'm never going to make my millions if this keeps up ! :))

( amazing stuff, by the way Stagg -{ )
    You should have put in for intellectual property rights!
    Firing directly at a target through glass using a pistol would not have any effect to the round, it would just go through it like - well like a bullet through glass! The whole smashing of glass before discharging the weapon has always been something of a misnomer to me.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    stag wrote:
    Firing directly at a target through glass using a pistol would not have any effect to the round, it would just go through it like - well like a bullet through glass! The whole smashing of glass before discharging the weapon has always been something of a misnomer to me.

That's not quite true. Shooting through glass deforms the bullet and can take it of its natural trajectory to a lesser or higher degree depending on the angle it is fired at.

It also depends on the round fired. Hollow points are designed to deform and flatten in contact with flesh, so going through glass first would really effect the round and cause it to dump energy and lose its impact on the secondary mass.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    Thanks for the information Asp9mm. {[]
    Asp9mm wrote:
    stag wrote:

That's not quite true. Shooting through glass deforms the bullet and can take it of its natural trajectory to a lesser or higher degree depending on the angle it is fired at.

It also depends on the round fired. Hollow points are designed to deform and flatten in contact with flesh, so going through glass first would really effect the round and cause it to dump energy and lose its impact on the secondary mass.

Like I said I'm no expert. I did mention about angles but was guessing. I'm also guessing that Bond would be sufficiently switched on to double tap, regardless of ammo type, Allow the first round to smash the glass & in all likelihood carry on to strike the target with sufficient remaining kinetic energy to penetrate, if it didn't the follow up shot would do the business. BTW I've only ever fired the Browning 9mil pistol. Tactically speaking, if you wanted to maintain the element of surprise upon your target would it not make sense to fire into rather than smash the glass. Think about hitting it with the butt then getting back into the aim. Also for those not familiar with firearms, we are speaking about pistol ranges, which are short.
  • Ammo08Ammo08 Missouri, USAPosts: 386MI6 Agent
    There are devices that compensate for the movement of a firearm, they're called computers...warships and aircraft have used them for some time. Seriously, yes, there are devices that would do that, however, they are very expensive and relatively large for any serious wetwork...

They have been touting a new riflescope that is tied to a small computer and it is supposed to make everyone a deadly shot at unbelievable ranges,,,however, like I said, $3000.00 to $8000.00 a pop and they have never been battle tested.

I'm sure that in the near future these devices will be cheaper. They are illegal for hunting in every state in the USA because they use a laser and this "casts a light on the game.", which is illegal.
    "I don't know if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who mean it."-Mark Twain
    'Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.'- Benny Hill (1924-1992)
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    stag wrote:

Like I said I'm no expert. I did mention about angles but was guessing.

Don't worry, stag.

Asp9mm and me are the resident gun experts, so if you have any related questions, ask me first and Asp9mm for a second opinion :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Higgins wrote:
    stag wrote:

Like I said I'm no expert. I did mention about angles but was guessing.

Don't worry, stag.

Asp9mm and me are the resident gun experts, so if you have any related questions, ask me first and Asp9mm for a second opinion :D

I'm far more familiar with long arms but, do you agree that JB would have been aware of the issues around shooting through pane glass with a pistol - especially with his Beretta - & would have compensated by double tapping?