Re: A question for gun experts.

stag wrote:

Firing directly at a target through glass using a pistol would not have any effect to the round, it would just go through it like - well like a bullet through glass! The whole smashing of glass before discharging the weapon has always been something of a misnomer to me.

That's not quite true.  Shooting through glass deforms the bullet and can take it of its natural trajectory to a lesser or higher degree depending on the angle it is fired at.

It also depends on the round fired.  Hollow points are designed to deform and flatten in contact with flesh, so going through glass first would really effect the round and cause it to dump energy and lose its impact on the secondary mass.

..................http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/darkcrown_1969/Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............

Thanks for the information Asp9mm.  ajb007/cheers

"Let his death be a particularly unpleasant and humiliating one."

Asp9mm wrote:
stag wrote:

Firing directly at a target through glass using a pistol would not have any effect to the round, it would just go through it like - well like a bullet through glass! The whole smashing of glass before discharging the weapon has always been something of a misnomer to me.

That's not quite true.  Shooting through glass deforms the bullet and can take it of its natural trajectory to a lesser or higher degree depending on the angle it is fired at.

It also depends on the round fired.  Hollow points are designed to deform and flatten in contact with flesh, so going through glass first would really effect the round and cause it to dump energy and lose its impact on the secondary mass.

Like I said I'm no expert. I did mention about angles but was guessing. I'm also guessing that Bond would be sufficiently switched on to double tap, regardless of ammo type, Allow the first round to smash the glass & in all likelihood carry on to strike the target with sufficient remaining kinetic energy to penetrate, if it didn't the follow up shot would do the business. BTW I've only ever fired the Browning 9mil pistol. Tactically speaking, if you wanted to maintain the element of surprise upon your target  would it not make sense to fire into rather than smash the glass. Think about hitting it with the butt then getting back into the aim. Also for those not familiar with firearms, we are speaking about pistol ranges, which are short.

There are devices that compensate for the movement of a firearm, they're called computers...warships and aircraft have used them for some time. Seriously, yes, there are devices that would do that, however, they are very expensive and relatively large for any serious wetwork...

They have been touting a new riflescope that is tied to a small computer and it is supposed to make everyone a deadly shot at unbelievable ranges,,,however, like I said, $3000.00 to $8000.00 a pop and they have never been battle tested.

I'm sure that in the near future these devices will be cheaper. They are illegal for hunting in every state in the USA because they use a laser and this "casts a light on the game.", which is illegal.

"I don't know if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who mean it."-Mark Twain
'Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.'- Benny Hill (1924-1992)

stag wrote:

Like I said I'm no expert. I did mention about angles but was guessing.

Don't worry, stag.

Asp9mm and me are the resident gun experts, so if you have any related questions, ask me first and Asp9mm for a second opinion  ajb007/biggrin

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

Higgins wrote:
stag wrote:

Don't worry, stag.

Asp9mm and me are the resident gun experts, so if you have any related questions, ask me first and Asp9mm for a second opinion  ajb007/biggrin

I'm far more familiar with long arms but, do you agree that JB would have been aware of the issues around shooting through pane glass with a pistol - especially with his Beretta - & would have compensated by double tapping?

The way I was taught to shoot through windows, was to stand well back in the room, so that the muzzle blast won't give me away. The field of fire was to be taken in the consideration in positioning one self, so if needed, I would stand on something to get the right angle to engage the target. Also: if time permits, opening (smashing) all of the windows adjacent to the one I'm shooting through also makes it more difficult to pinpoint my location. I admit that it was in the perspective of rifle caliber weapons, so not much thought was spent about the ballistics side of things and more was spent thinking about staying in cover.

If you really think about it; this whole shooting through the windows thing in movies is still done in the same way it was done in the first black and white cowboy movies...

"I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
-Mr Arlington Beech

Another old chestnut.
If you stick your finger in the barrel of a gun as it's fired, will it will blow up ?
True or old wives tale ?  ajb007/wink

why don't you try it out?

FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

What and risk my fantastic guitar playing skill, how could I do
that to the world. Deny it my great talent.  ajb007/shifty   ajb007/biggrin

Thunderpussy wrote:

Another old chestnut.
If you stick your finger in the barrel of a gun as it's fired, will it will blow up ?
True or old wives tale ?  ajb007/wink

It'll mess your finger up for sure!

ajb007/lol  Oh, I'd hate to crack a nail or something !  ajb007/biggrin

Higgins wrote:
stag wrote:

Don't worry, stag.

The only thing you are expert in, is idiocy.  And I have to give it to you, you excel.  You are a superb idiot.

..................http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/darkcrown_1969/Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............

Asp9mm wrote:
Higgins wrote:
stag wrote:

Don't worry, stag.

The only thing you are expert in, is idiocy.  And I have to give it to you, you excel.  You are a superb idiot.

He is the finest exponent of that on AJB  ajb007/martini

YNWA: Justice For The 96

The Joy Of 6

Asp9mm wrote:

The only thing you are expert in, is idiocy.

Yes, I have studied a lot of idiots in the past and you are certainly the most remarkable of that kind  ajb007/biggrin  ajb007/biggrin  ajb007/biggrin

Link to an article on a stabilization device for rifles: http://bearingarms.com/came-bolt-actions/

I know it's a little political, but it describes the device well.

Shooting through things such as glass,,,,try not to. About 10 years a thug in Memphis got excited when he saw a rival gang member and fired his .380 caliber pistol without rolling down the car window, the bullet ricocheted off the heavy glass and hit him in the head, knocking him cold.

Plate glass is not as tough as tempered or safety glass, but it can still deflect a bullet's path, however slight.

"I don't know if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who mean it."-Mark Twain
'Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.'- Benny Hill (1924-1992)

I rest my case.

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/file.php?2,file=8371,filename=idiot.jpg

too stupid to properly upload an image:

http://img5.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/bildschirmfoto9idz572vlx.png

I rest my case  ajb007/biggrin  ajb007/biggrin  ajb007/biggrin

Asp9mm wrote:

http://i.minus.com/iJLYz889RRr5u.gif

ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

ajb007/lol   ajb007/lol

You just had me howling with Laughter Higgins  ajb007/lol

1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

http://i.imgur.com/aEoHzQM.gif

Last edited by Higgins (8th Oct 2014 13:38)

In a recent survey 17℅ of women said they'd give up
Sex for cake !  ajb007/biggrin  I don't know if they meant that as
Instead of, or as a swap !  ajb007/lol

Tell me, is this spat for real or an 'in' joke?