Re: A question for gun experts.

Only joking, they're like an old married couple.  ajb007/wink   ajb007/lol

"Let his death be a particularly unpleasant and humiliating one."

It's been written into AJB History, that the Rivalry between Higgins and ASP9MM is of legendary Proportions  ajb007/martini

1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

Nah, he's a gun-loving, snake shagging idiot with a bad taste in watches and I can't stand him!
Nobody likes him - even my wife remembers him with disgust   ajb007/rolleyes

Last edited by Higgins (8th Oct 2014 20:08)

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

Higgins wrote:

Nobody likes him - even my wife remembers him with disgust   ajb007/rolleyes

But your wife does remember him ! It's you she's trying to forget  ajb007/biggrin

YNWA: Justice For The 96

A spectre of my mortal soul

But she's not very good at that  ajb007/lol

FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

Higgins wrote:

But she's not very good at that  ajb007/lol

It's the trainers  ajb007/amazed

ajb007/lol

ajb007/shifty  you are missing my signature pic, Sir Miles?  ajb007/shifty

they aint trainers, they are glow in the dark boats  ajb007/biggrin

***One day at a time***

They are SO bad that I'm almost tempted to go and look at the images of watches you post  ajb007/amazed

I hate that sausage suckin mutha.  He's a goober, and a sad man with an egg fetish.  And he has feet like Sideshow Bob which makes his choice of footwear even more hilarious.

..................http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/darkcrown_1969/Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............

Sounds more like a statement of affection to me  ajb007/tongue

I've heard much worse things said about me   ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol

Oh boy  ajb007/rolleyes

..................http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/darkcrown_1969/Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............

Thought it was about time for another silly question.  ajb007/wink
I've been watching a few documentaries on WW2, and was
Wondering. ..... Do the modern Army still use Bayonets ?

I'm not a gun expert, but I think I can answer. Bayonets are there to make your rifle into a spear if you bullets run out or Your rifle jams. This was much more likely to happen in the past, but it still happens. This is from wikipedia:

In 1995, during the Siege of Sarajevo, French Marine infantrymen from the 3rd RIMA carried out a bayonet charge against the Serbian forces to regain the Vrbanja bridge.[38]

The British Army mounted bayonet charges during the Falklands War (see Battle of Mount Tumbledown), the Second Gulf War, and the war in Afghanistan.[39] In 2004 in Iraq at the Battle of Danny Boy, the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders bayonet-charged mortar positions filled with over 100 Mahdi Army members. The ensuing hand-to-hand fighting resulted in an estimate of over 40 insurgents killed and 35 bodies collected (many floated down the river) and nine prisoners. Sergeant Brian Wood, of the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment, was awarded the Military Cross for his part in the battle.[40]

British forces in Afghanistan have used bayonets many times. In 2009, Lieutenant James Adamson, aged 24, of the Royal Regiment of Scotland was awarded the Military Cross for a bayonet charge whilst on a tour of duty in Afghanistan: after shooting one Taliban fighter dead Adamson had run out of ammunition when another enemy appeared. He immediately charged the second Taliban fighter and bayoneted him.[41] In September 2012, Lance Corporal Sean Jones of The Princess of Wales's Regiment was awarded the Military Cross for his role in a bayonet charge which took place in October 2011

Thanks , Number24.  ajb007/martini  thought they may have been part of history.  ajb007/smile

Obviously, the acts described above require BES (Balls of Enormous Size)
Personally I remember bayonet training in boot camp. We all found it very chilling and disturbing.  ajb007/crap

In the British army at least a bayonet is a stabbing weapon, in use for that purpose only. It is no good for other tasks. Some armies have 'multi function' bayonets with bottle openers etc Also if you see one you will notice it has a channel milled into it along its length. This is to allow the flow of blood to escape.

I remember reading in a thriller borrowed from Barbel, that  sometimes
If you cut an enemies throat with, too sharp a knife, the two separate
Pieces of flesh may not separate and so fail at killing.
Don't know if that's a bit of writers imagination or in fact, er! A Fact.   ajb007/biggrin
Also the groove in a knife is to prevent suction, leading to you not being
Able to pull it out to stab again. As Stag has said.  ajb007/wink

stag wrote:

Also if you see one you will notice it has a channel milled into it along its length. This is to allow the flow of blood to escape.

That's an old myth perpetuated for generations and totally untrue, as is the suction thing.  The 'fuller' or groove is actually there to make the blade lighter but without forfeiting strength.  Pulling  the knife out makes the blood flow pretty well.  Slashing causes blood flow.  A stab doesn't need blood to flow as you are sticking the vital organs, and you certainly can't get a knife stuck in flesh by suction, and a groove wouldn't help if it did as flesh conforms.

I've heard that too, ASP9mm. But I do remember being tought to twist the rifle after bayoneting someone to ease the retraction of the bayonet blade. (Grisly, I know  ajb007/crap )

ajb007/lol  Thanks, Asp9mm. Another myth bites the dust.  ajb007/martini

Make sure to cross-check all these dodgy infos from him (Asp9mm) with google  ajb007/rolleyes

He's even dumb enough to lose his watch in a shower in the middle of nowhere and later buy a Bremont  ajb007/tongue

You bought a Belmont?  You're an idiot.  I did buy something to go with my HS01 though.  I got a near mint 5512 from the same guy.  he's a real knife collecting nut, and his whim for collecting watches has faded  ajb007/biggrin

Thunderpussy wrote:

ajb007/lol  Thanks, Asp9mm. Another myth bites the dust.  ajb007/martini

It's amazing how much those myths have taken hold and suddenly become 'fact'.  But if you think about it, it doesn't make sense.  Fullers originally were put on curved swords.  Now why would a curved sword, which is primarily a slashing weapon need that?  Sure they can be used for stabbing too, but the fuller starts well past the point where it would be useful.  So it's pretty obvious that it was to lighten and strengthen long blades.  The same for knives too as a fuller does prevent lateral bending and twisting of the blade.

Only thing I can add to asp's encyclopedic gun knowledge is that bayonets do wonders for rifle accuracy....

I'd like an L85A2 bayonet but I'm told by many that they're unspecified by-product of the alimentary system.

'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
www.helpforheroes.org.uk
www.cancerresearchuk.org