Use of Actual Names

PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
No idea if there might be any actual Netiquette "rules" around this as opposed to simple regulations within a given site, but I'm bothered by the use of real names in posts as opposed to member/screen names.

This bugs me for two reasons:

1) It presupposes we know who the person is being referred to is (I know almost no one on this site by their given name so such references aren't useful and I think I should have to get that chummy in order to participate).

2) I presume we adopt screen names and/or avatars for a reason; I know I do: I would prefer my name not be divulged both for security reasons and because I think it implies a degree of familiarity I don't necessarily recognize.

Not sure if there's anything that can be done but I feel like I'm pulling a thread off-topic by stopping to ask "Who's this 'Tom' you mention?" or "Please don't call me Shirley!" and I really don't want to be put to the trouble of PMing someone each time it happens.

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I can see your point, I do know quite a few members names (addresses to come
    Then, My revenge will begin !!!! :)) ) but not all obviously, and it sometimes takes
    A while to figure out who someone is talking about. :D
    Then again I can't see how you can stop close friends communicating. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    When it's clear two members are sort of conversing in a thread (though that seems more appropriate to PMs but that's another matter which I'll address elsewhere), then it's also clear who the participants are.

The "Tom" comment above stems from an actual recent post, I believe of yours TP; and, indeed, I have still have no idea who Tom is so hard to know which prior post was being referenced!

I prize my anonymity; I've gone through life with people saying things to me like "it was a great event, you should have been there" with them having no idea that, in fact, I sat next to them at said event. I wish members -- especially members whose names, again, I don't know -- would not address me by name. I feel like I'm being put at a disadvantage; it's like when I've worked retail and customers could call me by name because it was on the flippin' badge but, by the same token, I could only call them "sir" or "mam;" it ultimately breeds some degree of contempt for the other person.

The gist of this is, I wish everyone would stick with screen names. I don't belong to alot of boards but the more I think about it, the more AJB seems like the only side where I find this.

Contrarily, I just Googled the subject, and it seems like the trend is toward real names as member IDs and no screen names to start with!

Just as Eric notes: Chalk it up to a pet peeve!
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,646MI6 Agent
    I think a lot of members (especially in the Merchandise and Collecting sub forum) do actually know each other in real life and indeed are even good friends in real life so I think that is why there is that degree of familiarity between some members. Personally, it doesn't bother me but I get your point here. I don't think very much can be done about this - ultimately it comes down to members' preferences. And there are much worse sites on the net than our great AJB, believe me! :)
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    A couple of People here have my FB (SM for instance) and thus know my real Name. A few others who don't, just know my first Name. I'm personally fine with that :)
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,646MI6 Agent
    A couple of People here have my FB (SM for instance) and thus know my real Name. A few others who don't, just know my first Name. I'm personally fine with that :)

Yes, I'm fine with that too. :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    edited September 2014
    I shall always remain a Mystery, wrapped in an Enigma ! ;)
    My True identity can never be revealed until I can control
    The rage within me ( cue, quite piano music ) a shadowy
    Flight into the world of a man who does not exist ! :))
    Otherwise I'm. Gerry, pleased to meet you. {[]
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    And I'm still Poor Man's James Bond or PMJB for short.
    As noted, we're really not going to stop anyone doing otherwise, but I'd ask only those be used.

Wow, first thread I've posted on AJB that earned more than maybe two responses. Score! :s
    Congratulations {[]
    Well, I am merely a silhouette... :) -{
    Yes you're only a shadow of your former self. :))
    Yes you're only a shadow of your former self. :))

This is my second life... :))
    ........and that's the only way to live ! -{
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,420Chief of Staff
    PoorMansJB wrote:
    Wow, first thread I've posted on AJB that earned more than maybe two responses. Score! :s

And you aren't the first who has had this trouble...

As for using real names...it can be difficult when you are used to conversing with these people when you talk to them in 'real life'...and years ago didn't you have your real name in your signature ?
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    ...and years ago didn't you have your real name in your signature ?

I had a signature (which think had my business name [Klaus Ink]) on CBn but never here that I recall (started one but never finished it as the format changed ... also why there's now not one on CBn!).

Are you possibly thinking avatar? Had one until someone made a snotty remark about it being a pic from twenty years back and was surprised to find out "how really old I am" so I deleted it.
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    I think Sico uses his real name in his sig, not sure.
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
    I think Sico uses his real name in his sig, not sure.

I don't think he does, though he is one person whose name I know.

Tangent, but that does actually bring-up another point: why does it seem impossible to find out who the admins are and which section(s) they administrate? I know it's possibly an open invitation to SPAM and so on but it does seem like most sites do have at least some sort of central clearing house address and if AJB has one, for the life of me I couldn't tell you where to find it.

When I was experiencing the "hysterical" screen name edit, I finally just broke down and eMailed someone I figured might be able to help; couldn't find anything on the site, even after access was restored.
    PoorMansJB wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    ...and years ago didn't you have your real name in your signature ?

I had a signature (which think had my business name [Klaus Ink]) on CBn but never here that I recall (started one but never finished it as the format changed ... also why there's now not one on CBn!).

Are you possibly thinking avatar? Had one until someone made a snotty remark about it being a pic from twenty years back and was surprised to find out "how really old I am" so I deleted it.

No...it definitely had your name on it and something about 'biggest Bond collection west of the something-or-other'....wasn't that right ??? Or did I make that up ? :))
    I do remember you changing your Avatar...
    YNWA 97
    PoorMansJB wrote:
    Tangent, but that does actually bring-up another point: why does it seem impossible to find out who the admins are and which section(s) they administrate? I know it's possibly an open invitation to SPAM and so on but it does seem like most sites do have at least some sort of central clearing house address and if AJB has one, for the life of me I couldn't tell you where to find it.

When I was experiencing the "hysterical" screen name edit, I finally just broke down and eMailed someone I figured might be able to help; couldn't find anything on the site, even after access was restored.

There used to be a highlighted section at the top which listed the Admin's...I think it got lost during the last site update though...

No one Mod takes control of a specific section - we all cover the whole forum...

During your 'hysterical name troubles' you did use the right email address, unfortunately only SiCo has access to that - as I explained to you at the time...the system we have is obviously not good enough but it's all we have at present, you can contact a Mod directly, but it's difficult if you can't identify us....it's a vicious circle...
    YNWA 97
    Life most things in Life :# :))
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    There is only so much a Sinclair Spectrum can do ! :))
    Sir Miles wrote:
    No...it definitely had your name on it and something about 'biggest Bond collection west of the something-or-other'....wasn't that right ??? Or did I make that up ? :))

Yes, that was the signature -- "West of the Mississippi" -- but I swore that was on CBn (a Mississippi joke really isn't going to play on AJB) and don't remember my name being on it. I can't find the JPEG so can't confirm and won't deny.

Regardless, if my name was incorporated, I've had a change of heart -- not to mention my identity stolen a good half dozen times -- since and no longer think it's a sound idea. (For example, via fb, I'm now getting hit on by all these people that want to buy signed Kiel pieces. Really? Sorry, but that's effin' tacky. I would just as soon be PMJB there, too.)
    Sorry to hear about your Identity Theft Mate :#
    PoorMansJB wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

Yes, that was the signature -- "West of the Mississippi" -- but I swore that was on CBn (a Mississippi joke really isn't going to play on AJB) and don't remember my name being on it. I can't find the JPEG so can't confirm and won't deny.

Regardless, if my name was incorporated, I've had a change of heart -- not to mention my identity stolen a good half dozen times -- since and no longer think it's a sound idea. (For example, via fb, I'm now getting hit on by all these people that want to buy signed Kiel pieces. Really? Sorry, but that's effin' tacky. I would just as soon be PMJB there, too.)

No...it was on here too....

You have every right to your anonymity - and to change your signature...I'm sorry if this hasn't been the case here...you need to check your profile too ;)
    YNWA 97
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    I have been one of those who used your real name.

i apologize. - won't happen again. {[]
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    Friendly sort of chap 8-)
    If you sit in front of an antique mirror at midnight with a black candle
    and say my name backwards five times ....... It proves you have a lot
    Of time on your hands ! :))
    Say it five Times and SM appears and gives you a Copy of Never Send Flowers :)
    Say it five Times and SM appears and gives you a Copy of Never Send Flowers :)

Very true - the Devil himself! Oh, wait that's me... :o :))
    edited September 2014
    Higgins wrote:
    I have been one of those who used your real name.

i apologize. - won't happen again. {[]

Apology unnecessary; again, it's largely a pet peeve, clearly not everyone's take, and until it was raised here, you could not have known that.

I'm hardly going to tell someone to "knock it off" but hopefully I've now nipped it in the bud.

I will note though, Higgins, that you can see my conundrum: You can call me by name but, having just checked the profile, my only option for you is ... Higgins.
    The answers simple don't PM Higgins! I know I don't :))