Topic: Your favourites from Hammer Films

A couple of years ago I got a DVD set containing:
Horror Of Dracula (simply the best)
Dracula Has Risen From The Grave (standard cool Drac movie)
Taste The Blood Of Dracula (Wow, nudity)
&
Dracula AD 1972 (what a time capsule, plus, Stephanie Beacham ajb007/heart )

Today I got another set consisting of:
Dracula Prince of Darkness (no memory of this one)
Legend Of The Seven Golden Vampires (I remember it's so bad it's great)
&
Frankenstein Created Woman ( got my Dad to take me to that when I was nine, was HE shocked! ajb007/lol )

Any fond Hammer memories or film recommendations from AJBers?

Last edited by chrisisall (13th Sep 2014 21:59)

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

Re: Your favourites from Hammer Films

Great thread, chrisisall  ajb007/martini

My favourite is Hammer's excellent version of Nigel Kneale's superb Quatermass and the Pit. It's genuinely creepy and, if you've never seen the three original Quatermass series from the 1950's, they're horribly dated but were brilliant, riveting stories, years ahead of their time.

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

The Hammer Mummy Films are good  ajb007/martini

1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

The Devil Rides Out... Another creepy one (Charles Grey is much more sinister as the villain in it than in his tenure as Blofeld; while Christopher Lee is good in it too, but nowhere near as great as he was as Scaramanga)... ajb007/crap

The Devils Claw I think its called?

1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

AlphaOmegaSin wrote:

The Devils Claw I think its called?

Don't know that one... There's a great 70s horror film called Blood on Satan's Claw, though it's not a Hammer film, is that the one you're thinking oh AOS?  ajb007/martini

That might be it  ajb007/martini

Charmed & Dangerous wrote:

My favourite is Hammer's excellent version of Nigel Kneale's superb Quatermass and the Pit.

That was a masterful film. I saw it on TV many times & it creeped me out every time!

Another that caught my attention as a young teen was Vampire Lovers.... ajb007/embarrassed

Oh yeah, that's a goodie!  ajb007/embarrassed

Hammer House of Horror TV Series?

I can recommend Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter.
Starring Horst Janson and Caroline Munro.
The whole film is on YouTube.  ajb007/martini

One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief.

AlphaOmegaSin wrote:

Hammer House of Horror TV Series?

Another goodie! Especially the episode Carpathian Eagle with Suzanne Danielle... One of my first teen crushes lol  ajb007/embarrassed
http://www.hammerhouseofhorrortvseries. … eagle.html
Also one of Pierce Brisnan's first TV roles, he plays a victim... Only in it for a few seconds though.

Can anyone here recommend Satanic Rites Of Dracula? It's the only Seventies Dracula I seemed to have missed seeing. I saw AD 1972 in the theatre, and while it was fun, my last DVD viewing confirmed that the only great thing about it is Stephanie Beacham...

Now to watch Dracula Prince of Darkness. I know I saw it on TV as a kid, but I don't remember it.

It seemed to be as a Kid, in the UK every saturday night BBC 2 showed a double bill of Horror films.
I watched them every week ( Sometimes between my fingers  ajb007/lol  ). They showed many of the Old
Universal Films, like Frankenstien or the Wolfman as well as the Hammer Horror films.
    Always loved The Hammer films, Great actors Like old Chris Lee and Peter Cushing, Good sets and
very nicely filmed.  ajb007/martini
  Loved Dracula 1972AD, Dracula as a Bond villain.  ajb007/cheers   Frankenstien & the monster, In which the poor
monster is pulled apart by the inmates of an insane asylum. As well as the already Mentioned Quatermass
Both of the older B/W Versions. Hammer even did their version of " The Omen" with, To the Devil a Daughter.
  Funny as a Kid we had a couple of book shelves, Many of the Books were Horror Dennis Wheatley etc. I always
assumed they were My Dad's. Later found out they were My Mum's  ajb007/lol  ( Must be who I get it from)
   Very much enjoyed the TV series as well some great stories in it, I remember the meeting of survivors of
a plane crash, who met Once a year to once gain eat People !  ajb007/biggrin
I was lucky as a Kid my local Cinema, had an old lady selling tickets and she didn't seem to care what age you
were, SO I got to see a lot of great Horror films.  ajb007/lol
   By the way has anyone else seen the great Documentary series Hosted by Mark Gatiss on the history of the
Horror film from its earliest days up to today. It really is brilliant and I can highly recommend it  ajb007/cheers

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

Charmed & Dangerous wrote:

My favourite is Hammer's excellent version of Nigel Kneale's superb Quatermass and the Pit. It's genuinely creepy and, if you've never seen the three original Quatermass series from the 1950's, they're horribly dated but were brilliant, riveting stories, years ahead of their time.

+1. Love that film and the other Quatermass stories. I have a ridiculous amount of Hammer movies!

Barbel wrote:

+1. Love that film and the other Quatermass stories.

We are monkeys infused with alien genes....

chrisisall wrote:

We are monkeys infused with alien genes....

...being controlled by replicants from outer space...

... Who arrived here millions of years ago and we're responsible for the missing link...

Thunderpussy wrote:

It seemed to be as a Kid, in the UK every saturday night BBC 2 showed a double bill of Horror films.

I remember that with real affection - used to watch them with my dad - great times  ajb007/martini

And the Mark Gatiss series you mentioned was superb - it just left you wanting more !

YNWA: Justice For The 96

The Joy Of 6

Favourites- most of the Frankenstein series (bar Horror Of...), most of the Draculas (bar Scars Of...), all of the Quatermasses (Quatermassi?), The Devil Rides Out and basically anything with Pete & Chris. Least fave- The Reptile (v poor reworking of The Gorgon), To The Devil A Daughter (awful).

I think Roger Corman's series of Edgar Allan Poe  films were very close
To an American " Hammer"  movie, a very similar look about them .

I love "the house that dripped blood" , although I think it's by amicus. It has Christopher lee and peter Cushing though

Thunderpussy wrote:

Funny as a Kid we had a couple of book shelves, Many of the Books were Horror Dennis Wheatley etc. I always assumed they were My Dad's. Later found out they were My Mum's  ajb007/lol

That's the same in my house. I love horror, supernatural, ghosts stories. That's all I read really. My hubby meanwhile, was usually the one with the latest Jackie Collins Bonkbuster !!

I recently saw Frankenstein and The Monster from Hell on TV.  Loved Hammer movies .

N.B ... Just looking through Hammers filmography and inbetween all the horror is 'Mutiny On The Buses' !!! Probably their scariest film  ajb007/lol

I thought it was funny to see ( when I was looking up the titles of
Some of the older hammer films ) A few  TV , comedy films like
On the Buses, which in 71 pushed DAF into second place in the UK
Box office  ajb007/lol  crazy !

Nothing wrong with Jackie Collins, I only read one but !!!!!!!!!!  ajb007/lol

What of the Hammer House of Horror TV series? I have it on DVD but have yet to watch it though Pierce Brosnan appeared in an episode called "The Carpathian Eagle".

Last edited by Silhouette Man (14th Sep 2014 18:03)

Writer/Director @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
On Twitter: @Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
"The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).