Re: Your favourites from Hammer Films

For any horror fans  ( UK)  the brilliant Mark Gatiss series
is on the history of horror films is on
bbc4  tonight and I guess for the next couple of Sundays .

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

Great series, loved it.

Also I remember years ago Jonathan Ross did a great
Series on channel 4 on the smaller low budget/ video
Nasty movies. Which was  fantastic, sadly never repeated
Unless it's out there on you tube somewhere.  ajb007/smile

Just checked they seem to be showing all three episodes of the M Gatiss
Series as one, it ends tonight around midnight.

Last edited by Thunderpussy (19th Oct 2014 22:25)

Just watched Hammer's classic The Devil Rides Out (1968) on DVD for the first time - brilliant film on the conquest of good over evil with great performances from all involved including Christopher Lee and Charles Gray.

Writer/Director @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
On Twitter: @Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
"The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

I shall have to see that one. I probably did in my teens but I don't remember.

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

That's one if the greats - still has the power to chill.

And with two great Bond alumni and a hero clearly modelled on Connery-Bond (wearing the classic Goldfinger and Thunderball pale grey Prince of Wales check suit and navy knitted tie too) you can't go wrong!  ajb007/lol

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

It seems to be on The Horror channel quite often. Charles Gray
Is brilliant in it.  Showing how he could have been a very menacing
Blofeld !   ajb007/martini

One of my all-time favourites.

In the book, Chris Lee's character is an old guy in his 70s, hence the young sidekicks to take care of the physical action. Lee pushed Hammer to make the film, since he'd read the book and loved it, but was only in his mid-40s at the time. 30 years later he said he would have loved to remake the movie, being now the right age, and with improved special effects (one of the original's few weak points) but sadly it never came to pass.

Charles Gray is superb in this film, as TP says, but I'd love to have seen Lee playing Mocata with Peter Cushing in the hero role.

It's a decent enough film, but I was disappointed with it as it can't hold a candle to the book  ajb007/martini

YNWA: Justice For The 96

The Joy Of 6

Well, Hammer didn't have the budget to make the film totally faithful to the book. Given their restrictions, they did a good job.

Which is pretty much true of any book to film conversion  ajb007/martini

YNWA: Justice For The 96

The Joy Of 6

Sir Miles wrote:

Except Legend Of Hell House.
Just sayin'.

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

Sir Miles wrote:

"The Green Mile" (1999)- an absolutely beautiful book to film conversion.

I've heard that Hammer's To the Devil A Daughter isn't very good, though it too was (loosely) based on a Dennis Wheatley novel.

Last edited by Silhouette Man (29th Oct 2014 09:01)

I've read that Hammer's " To the Devil a daughter" was their attempt
To do an " Omen" type movie.

I have Marcus Hearn's book on the Hammer series somewhere - I really must dig it out and give it a read. I love Hammer's version of The Hound of the Baskervilles (1959) too, starring Peter Cushing as Sherlock Holmes.

It's interesting to note too that The Devil Rides Out was Christopher Lee's favourite Hammer film.

+1, The Hound of the Baskervilles is a brilliant film, with Cushing
A marvellous Holmes.  ajb007/martini

Well, there's a memory of an old film bouncing around in my head and I think it was a Hammer film.

In the movie, I remember it was set in the early 1800s in England, and some people are getting killed in spectacular ways. Someone drowns a woman in a bathtub, a man is stabbed in the throat with a rapier...

It was so long ago, I remember it as a kid so it must have been the 1960s.

It was probably a crappy film and for some reason it just stuck in my mind....

Anyone have a clue what this film was?

"I don't know if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who mean it."-Mark Twain
'Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.'- Benny Hill (1924-1992)

BondJasonBond006 wrote:
Barbel wrote:
BondJasonBond006 wrote:

I am discovering a whole new universe of films these days. The HAMMER Film Noir and Horrer era.

Lots of them have Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee starring. One of them or both. It is like delving into an alternate reality of the cinematic 50s, 60s and 70s. Very fascinating.

Among my favourite films- love them all!

oh cool! I have bought some that have come out in restored HD version on Blu-ray Special Editions with extensive Booklets (released on the German language market). Others I purchased digitally on iTunes in HD.

-The Hound Of The Baskervilles
-Dracula
-The Gorgon
-Taste Of Fear
those I have watched so far and love them all, simply fantastic!

I got Special Editions for "Horror Express" and "Dr. Terror's House Of Horrors" too, both with Cushing and Lee, as I have started to collect their collaborations outside Hammer as well.

I love both of them, totally.

Great times ahead for me, I have ordered 16 more Hammer films on Blu-ray!!

I’ve been collecting the Hammer films on DVD & Blu-Ray for years. I don’t have them all, but do have all the ones starring Cushing & Lee as well as many of the others.
My favourite series is the Frankenstein one, closely followed by the Dracula series, though overall my top Hammer film is Quatermass And The Pit.  I’ve watched all of these over and over, though not as much as the Bond movies of course.  ajb007/lol

Amusing aside: my son said to me once that Peter Cushing must have been quite short.

https://s3.postimg.cc/5eymdtor3/aa_old_man_4.jpg

I pointed out to him that Christopher Lee, Cushing's most frequent co-star, was about 2 metres tall, and that in the part most non-horror or Holmes fans would know him from

https://s3.postimg.cc/3sbpi7a6n/AA_OLD_MAN_3.jpg

he's standing beside the even more huge Dave Prowse! (Who also was with him in one of the Frankenstein films.) Cushing was about 6 foot.

oh how cool, a Hammer Film thread, Barbel you're the best.

Dalton Rulez™

ajb007/smile  It was chrisisall's idea!  (Now, where have I heard that before...?)

I saw Dave Prowse in person at a film fair in London in the 1990s. He is extremely tall. I'm 6ft 2 and my neck was straining just to look at him. Really nice guy, actually. He was signing Darth photos all day.

My favourite Hammer movies are Lee's Dracula's, especially the original and Dracula AD 1972, where he kills lots of hippies. Also loved the early Frankenstein movies with Cushing.

The Devil Rides Out still stands up, even with slightly dodgy special effects. It's really atmospheric and it has Charles Blofeld Gray as a villain. What could be better?

One of my favourites!  Lee said in his later years that he would love to do a remake of it for two reasons:

(1) To take advantage of improved special effects, which as you say was a weakness of the film

(2) His character was meant to be an older man, say in his 70s, and Lee was only in his 40s at the time of shooting.

I remember seeing Devil in the cinema. It made a huge impact on me.

It was on a double bill with The Lost Continent, also based on a Dennis Wheatley novel. I do remember my young self being very impressed by Dana Gillespie.

MrGore wrote:

I saw Dave Prowse in person at a film fair in London in the 1990s. He is extremely tall. I'm 6ft 2 and my neck was straining just to look at him.

My brother-in-law is 7ft 2, the same as Richard Kiel. When we first met I had to ask that we sat down to talk, for the same reason!