Re: Your favourites from Hammer Films

BondJasonBond006 wrote:

I got Special Editions for "Horror Express" and "Dr. Terror's House Of Horrors" too, both with Cushing and Lee, as I have started to collect their collaborations outside Hammer as well.

I like both of those. "Dr Terror" is an Amicus film, and they're very similar to the Hammer movies (not surprisingly, since they use many of the same stars and directors) though most of them use the anthology format, ie several short stories all tied together. Some of the shorter stories are good, some aren't.

First of all I want to thank my buddy @ToTheRight who is my mentor concerning Hammer Films. I discovered this fantastic film universe because of him.

My favourite decades for movies are the 50s and the 60s. Always have, always will be. I own quite an impressive amount of films of that era, a lot of them in restored HD as well.

I went for the Sherlock Holmes Hammer film first which I own on Blu-ray.
As Conan Doyle and the cinematic and TV universe of Sherlock Holmes is maybe my second favourite passion after James Bond it was the logical choice.

While Lee didn't impress me much in it, Peter Cushing made my jaw drop down, it's an incredible performance and Cushing has since become my favourite Holmes after Jeremy Brett. I also have recently purchased the DVD set with the 6 available Holmes TV shows with Cushing and Stock.

It's maybe the most original film version I have seen of The Baskervilles. The plot twist at the end came as a surprise to me, I expected the usual ending even if I became wary during the last third of the film if the bad guy could be someone else for a change.

The sets, the atmosphere, the directing, the music, the acting, the costumes, the lighting, it's all superb and I hoped that Baskervilles would not be the only Hammer film that is like that. Luckily I discovered that indeed there is a whole lot of such films.

I feel like the kid that discovered a new candy store ajb007/lol

Cushing nails Holmes and I was immediately fascinated by his performance and his look and the sets.

And after viewing it a second time I can honestly say, it is my favourite cinematic Sherlock Holmes film now. (Not counting the Rathbone films which I view as a series, even if they are technically cinema films).

https://a1-images.myspacecdn.com/images04/7/c1f5f2c232304aac87b7c85abff795ed/full.jpg
https://a3-images.myspacecdn.com/images04/6/c8ddf4501622401f9724b897cb1e897d/full.jpg
https://a3-images.myspacecdn.com/images04/11/09c345bfe22f4e849e0c35a712b39078/full.jpg

Dalton Rulez™

Lovely post, Jason, thanks for sharing.

Cushing as Holmes ranks up there with Rathbone and Brett, I'd say.

Interesting aside:

Basil Rathbone
Peter Cushing
Christopher Lee
Benedict Cumberbatch
Jonny Lee Miller

All have played Holmes, but all have played Frankenstein (or the monster, and in some cases both!) as well.

Quartermass and the pit and blood from the mummy's tomb

The first, totally agree.

The second, an under-rated one. Valerie Leon at her most desirable, Andrew Keir standing in admirably for Peter Cushing, and excellent atmosphere.

Brides of Dracula  ajb007/cool

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

I've met Valerie Leon and have a signed sexy picture, bucket
list stuff right there (does sid james dirty laugh)

BondJasonBond006 wrote:

First of all I want to thank my buddy @ToTheRight who is my mentor concerning Hammer Films. I discovered this fantastic film universe because of him.

My favourite decades for movies are the 50s and the 60s. Always have, always will be. I own quite an impressive amount of films of that era, a lot of them in restored HD as well.

I went for the Sherlock Holmes Hammer film first which I own on Blu-ray.
As Conan Doyle and the cinematic and TV universe of Sherlock Holmes is maybe my second favourite passion after James Bond it was the logical choice.

While Lee didn't impress me much in it, Peter Cushing made my jaw drop down, it's an incredible performance and Cushing has since become my favourite Holmes after Jeremy Brett. I also have recently purchased the DVD set with the 6 available Holmes TV shows with Cushing and Stock.

It's maybe the most original film version I have seen of The Baskervilles. The plot twist at the end came as a surprise to me, I expected the usual ending even if I became wary during the last third of the film if the bad guy could be someone else for a change.

The sets, the atmosphere, the directing, the music, the acting, the costumes, the lighting, it's all superb and I hoped that Baskervilles would not be the only Hammer film that is like that. Luckily I discovered that indeed there is a whole lot of such films.

I feel like the kid that discovered a new candy store ajb007/lol

Cushing nails Holmes and I was immediately fascinated by his performance and his look and the sets.

And after viewing it a second time I can honestly say, it is my favourite cinematic Sherlock Holmes film now. (Not counting the Rathbone films which I view as a series, even if they are technically cinema films).

https://a1-images.myspacecdn.com/images04/7/c1f5f2c232304aac87b7c85abff795ed/full.jpg
https://a3-images.myspacecdn.com/images04/6/c8ddf4501622401f9724b897cb1e897d/full.jpg
https://a3-images.myspacecdn.com/images04/11/09c345bfe22f4e849e0c35a712b39078/full.jpg

Thanks for the shout out, Jason!
I love the Hammer films like I love Bond. I've been a Hammer film fanatic since I was 7 years of age and caught an 11pm airing of DRACULA-PRINCE OF DARKNESS one summer Friday night.  Christopher Lee, with no dialogue, and probably a total of 7 minutes of screen time, commands such a presence as Dracula I just had to see the others. A few months later around Halloween I caught: FRANKENSTEIN CREATED WOMAN, a very different type of Frankenstein film, DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE and THE MUMMY. I was hooked. Before long I was collecting issues of Dracula Lives! reading anything and everything on Lee and Peter Cushing.
I'd be checking out various monster movie books from my school library as well as the public library.
My favorite series' were the Dracula and Frankensteins along with the Karnstein Trilogy.
VAMPIRE CIRCUS aired on the tube several times when I was a kid and for the longest time was unavailable on video format.

If I had to pick a top 5 list of Hammer Horrors it might be:
1. THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN
2. HORROR OF DRACULA
3. VAMPIRE CIRCUS
4. THE VAMPIRE LOVERS
5. DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE.....................

or it might be............

1. FRANKENSTEIN CREATED WOMAN
2. SCARS OF DRACULA
3. HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES
4. DRACULA AD 1972
5. THE MUMMY

There are so many- I love the "modern" Dracs, THE CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF (look for Desmond in a small role), Hammer's PHANTOM OF THE OPERA , BLOOD FROM THE MUMMY"S TOMB (just for Valerie), TWINS OF EVIL, CAPTAIN KRONOS,

What's interesting, is to me, even the less popular Hammers like SATANIC RITES, or LEGEND of the 7 GOLDEN VAMPIRES are immensely fun.

Ingrid Pitt and maddie Smith in the vampire lovers. :0)

Barbel wrote:
BondJasonBond006 wrote:

I got Special Editions for "Horror Express" and "Dr. Terror's House Of Horrors" too, both with Cushing and Lee, as I have started to collect their collaborations outside Hammer as well.

I like both of those. "Dr Terror" is an Amicus film, and they're very similar to the Hammer movies (not surprisingly, since they use many of the same stars and directors) though most of them use the anthology format, ie several short stories all tied together. Some of the shorter stories are good, some aren't.

Really love both films. Dr Terror could be a future favourite of mine, I love train scenarios. Even with Bond all the various train sequences belong to my favourite scenes overall.

Loved all five stories, the diversity is great, the killer plant was trashy and funny, the musician story with the voodoo was the "boring" one imo, but still, the music helps it a great deal.
My favourite is probably the "hand" with Gough and Lee. Very disturbing. Also the first one is what reminded me most of the Hammer films I've seen so far. And the ending is really great too. Love it, quite eerie.

Horror Express of course is fantastic too for the whole train set and the actors!! Telly as Kazan...oh I wish he would have had a bit more screen time. But he went out with a bang.
Love the model work at the end....totally, such charm and atmosphere.

Dalton Rulez™

Don't forget the most horrific Hammer's of all.....................ON THE BUSES, MUTINY ON THE BUSES and HOLIDAY ON THE BUSES (although for some strange reason I find this one moderately funny  ajb007/insane ) (Nooooooooooooooo aarrrggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!) ( Runs away screaming  ajb007/lol )

Seriously, I just love all the Hammer Horrors, Frankenstein is my favourite series, Cushing is superb in all those.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

When I said I collected the Hammer movies, I wasn't meaning those ones!  ajb007/lol

Watched "Horror Express" again last week (not a Hammer) and enjoyed it. Bride of Barbel is used to me watching Cushing & Lee, and was surprised when Telly Savalas turned up.

Mooresflares wrote:

I've met Valerie Leon and have a signed sexy picture, bucket
list stuff right there (does sid james dirty laugh)

Lucky bugger!

The Gorgon

Already watched it twice in brilliantly restored HD. Absolutely in love with this film.

Peter Cushing again is simply irresistible. Can't stop watching him.

But the rest of the cast is fantastic too. Especially Richard Pasco as Paul Heitz, the leading man of the film really.
https://a2-images.myspacecdn.com/images04/5/9c99ce10ad164ed7a1c527942cd9e060/full.jpg

As I don't know much about Hammer films and how they rank in general with the fans I can't really just now judge where to put those films in perspective with the whole Hammer era.

Personally I find The Gorgon wonderful, beautiful and quite touching as well. I soon suspected who Medusa is and when it became clear it is so I knew I would like the end of the film. The beast is defeated but at a high price.
https://a2-images.myspacecdn.com/images04/2/d8324502cb004b66b74fb05872568b1c/full.jpg

Another film with both Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. After seeing half a dozen films that feature both actors I begin to suspect that this is one of the best film actor duos ever.
https://a1-images.myspacecdn.com/images04/6/f8d08747d45244039a49f1e9be00d66f/full.jpg

Dalton Rulez™

I'm now watching a Hammer-like production, From Beyond the Grave that stars Peter Cushing.  As Halloween nears, more of the Hammer films will come up on different channels, as I still have The Revenge of Frankenstein saved on my VCR from last year.  Another Hammer-like favorite is Frankenstein's Bloody Terror, originally in Spanish, and it has little to do with Frankenstein's monster but more about Werewolves.  Looking forward to rewatching the Christopher Lee Draculas later this year!

"...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....

I own a few of the Hammer horror films including Dracula, The Mummy, Curse of Frankenstein and Hound of the Baskervilles. Recently I have been thinking of adding to my collection and spotted the Ultimate Hammer collection which contains 21 films. I know of some of the films it contains but am unfamiliar with most of them. Does anyone know of this collection and is it worth buying?

1.ohmss  2.cr  3.frwl  4.ltk  5.gf  6.tswlm  7.sf  8.op  9.tld  10.dn  11.lald  12.tb  13.fyeo  14.ge  15.mr  16.yolt  17.tnd  18.avtak  19.sp  20.twine  21.qos  22.tmwtgg  23.daf  24.dad

Well, that depends on how many Hammer films you already have. I haven't bought it since it duplicates many I already have, but some of the films have commentaries or documentaries which aren't on the stand-alone discs (although others miss those out- aggravatingly!*). Depends on the price being charged.

* eg, The Blu-Ray of The Devil Rides Out includes a commentary by Chris Lee & others, which isn't on the Ultimate set, while that set does include a commentary from Jimmy Sangster on Horror Of Frankenstein which isn't on the stand-alone. Grrr!

Barbel wrote:

Well, that depends on how many Hammer films you already have. I haven't bought it since it duplicates many I already have, but some of the films have commentaries or documentaries which aren't on the stand-alone discs (although others miss those out- aggravatingly!*). Depends on the price being charged.

* eg, The Blu-Ray of The Devil Rides Out includes a commentary by Chris Lee & others, which isn't on the Ultimate set, while that set does include a commentary from Jimmy Sangster on Horror Of Frankenstein which isn't on the stand-alone. Grrr!

Thanks for the info Barbel. I don't have any of the 21 films and I can buy the collection for £35. Seems like a good deal and like you say some of these films have commentaries and documentaries which I enjoy.  ajb007/martini

1.ohmss  2.cr  3.frwl  4.ltk  5.gf  6.tswlm  7.sf  8.op  9.tld  10.dn  11.lald  12.tb  13.fyeo  14.ge  15.mr  16.yolt  17.tnd  18.avtak  19.sp  20.twine  21.qos  22.tmwtgg  23.daf  24.dad

Today I received my fifth Hammer film in one of the many Book-Blu-ray Special Editions I have ordered...very expensive and I'll live on crackers and water for some time  ajb007/lol

https://a4-images.myspacecdn.com/images04/7/b3b2a6dfac024129b32297dfe01eb86b/full.jpg
https://a4-images.myspacecdn.com/images04/12/69c9dd884d3744fc95380f84248cee9d/full.jpg

It's The Reptile. These Mediabooks are done, unfortunately, only for the German language market with Code B Blu-rays. There are several out but they are limited to between 500 and 1000. Mostly they get released with different covers, each version receives the limitation. After they are sold, normal Blu-ray casings are available but without the books.

One I have watched it, I'll post one of my colourful reviews  ajb007/biggrin

Dalton Rulez™

Apparently quatermass and the pit looks incredible on blu ray!

Yes, it does. Very enjoyable!

BondJasonBond006 wrote:

The Reptile

I thought it too similar to "The Gorgon", which I much preferred.

https://a2-images.myspacecdn.com/images04/4/7dfa441b030d4d20a732f336a45b0707/full.jpg

Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter

This movie is ahead of its time. The blueprint for things I've seen like Netflix's Van Helsing, Blade (the katana sword) etc.
Caroline Munro has the female lead, three years prior to her memorable appearance in The Spy Who Loved Me.

I'm sure I don't have to explain anything about this film to you. It's a unique one it seems and I have watched the Reunion of the actors and Brian Clemens in 2008 that is a Special Feature. Also there is a 73 minute ! Interview with Horst Janson.

I know Janson very well, he was a well known actor from the 70s and 80s, notably for me, in Sesame Street. He is widely loved.

Here are two lovely pictures of him, with a 40 year gap in between....

https://a2-images.myspacecdn.com/images04/8/7e2d7ba2aaf14030b5131eaf4a206155/full.jpg
https://a2-images.myspacecdn.com/images04/1/609a4a0140c041f596431f5701effcce/full.jpg

Forget Van Helsing. Captain Kronos is the great swashbuckling vampire hunter. Hard-faced Horst Janson is the brooding Kronos, a rangy, sword-wielding soldier who hunts the vampire scourge with his jovial hunchbacked partner, Grost (John Cater), and his earthy peasant girl lover, hazelnut eyed beauty Caroline Munro. Director-writer Brian Clemens, who so entertainingly put genres in the blender on the TV series The Avengers, imaginatively rewrites vampire lore from the film's haunting first scene: a shrouded, shadowy predator (looking more like death incarnate than a traditional vampire) drains a comely maiden of her very youth, leaving the girl an aged, wizened husk. Clemens lacks the budget and the cinematic snap to bring his visual ideas to full fruition, but his well-wrought characters, inspired ideas, and swashbuckling swordfights make this entertaining reinterpretation of the vampire movie a cult classic.

These Book-Blu-ray Boxes that are produced since 2015 mainly for the German language market are quite something. The booklets are extensive, some up to 30 pages. A lot of photos, information and curated by known Horror film experts.

Kronos features as well two audio commentary tracks, with about all the cast plus Brian Clemens. Honestly, that's fan service for you.

https://a3-images.myspacecdn.com/images04/4/bde93d35b8b848bda61049afd45d1fd2/full.jpg
https://a2-images.myspacecdn.com/images04/9/a68b7678d00341e6a5de44780009d42d/full.jpg
https://a3-images.myspacecdn.com/images04/8/6feab9d80b79403fb743b2a68a3157a8/full.jpg

I totally love this film. It seems Hammer will become a part of my fandoms like Sherlock Holmes, James Bond, Hitchcock, ITVs 60s/70s shows, Star Trek and DC Comics (notably Batman/Justice League).

So far I've seen: in this order:
-The Hound Of The Baskervilles
-Dracula
-The Gorgon
-Taste Of Fear
-Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter

I also have seen Horror Express and Dr. Terror's House Of Horror which both feature Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing.
The whole Lee/Cushing universe is amazing too.

Dalton Rulez™

I love CAPTAIN KRONOS. It had been a film that eluded me for years. I can remember as a kid reading about it various horror film and Hammer film books, and lamenting it hadn't been available in the States on home video.
Eventually a cable station aired it when I was in my mid-twenties and like pretty much every Hammer horror I wanted to see, it lived up to it's expectations. Luckily it became readily available when DVDs hit the market.

I have been enjoying a few Hammer Horror films recently. Watching one a night after work and really enjoying them. Last night was Revenge of Frankenstein and I had completely forgotten that Eunice Gayson was in it (loved the film btw). Tonight it's The Mummy.