Re: Anything Good on TV ?

Penny Dreadful (and, I humbly suggest, Dickensian and The Frankenstein Chronicles) both work by mashing-up familiar characters and/or authors and seeing what happens when they come together.  Carnival Row doesn't have any literary source it could build upon. . .instead, it deals with feuding families, political assassinations, bastard sons everywhere you look, witchcraft and wizardry, and even an incestuous power couple--all stuff that works well in the quasi-medieval settings of GoT but seems clunky and weird in this faux Victorian world, which is the natural realm of steampunk.  But all this is just my opinion.

Vox clamantis in deserto

Anybody been watching Ken Burns' new documentary on the history of Country Music?
I caught part of the first episode about  Jimmie Rodgers and the Carter Family.

But PBS took me by surprise, I assumed there'd be a new episode on every Sunday night, like a normal show ... instead they've already broadcast most of the miniseries over the last week and I missed it!

Another post on how good SPOOKS was  ajb007/martini  such high standards, the scripts are fantastic.
I've found myself sitting down to watch just an episode or two, .... then end up watching the
entire series  ajb007/biggrin   I'm coming to the end of series 7 at the moment .

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

Thunderpussy wrote:

Another post on how good SPOOKS was  ajb007/martini  such high standards, the scripts are fantastic.
I've found myself sitting down to watch just an episode or two, .... then end up watching the
entire series  ajb007/biggrin   I'm coming to the end of series 7 at the moment .

One of the best series I've seen.

Out of interest TP, did you enjoy the Spooks movie?

It wasn't as good as the series but I did enjoy it. I've been collecting all 10 series of
Spooks on download and dvd ( Yes some of us still use DVDs )  ajb007/lol  as they can be
bought for only a few pounds these days.

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

Hardyboy wrote:

Penny Dreadful (and, I humbly suggest, Dickensian and The Frankenstein Chronicles) both work by mashing-up familiar characters and/or authors and seeing what happens when they come together.  Carnival Row doesn't have any literary source it could build upon. . .instead, it deals with feuding families, political assassinations, bastard sons everywhere you look, witchcraft and wizardry, and even an incestuous power couple--all stuff that works well in the quasi-medieval settings of GoT but seems clunky and weird in this faux Victorian world, which is the natural realm of steampunk.  But all this is just my opinion.

There is truth in what you say, Sir Professor  ajb007/biggrin , but I liked it anyway!