Re: Anything Good on TV ?

I’ve watched the first two episodes of Amazing Stories on AppleTV. First episode is excellent, second one is just ok as it’s very much like the movie Ghost.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

Drop what you're doing and watch TIGER KING on Netflix.  It's...something.  It's a documentary about breeders of large cats (tigers, lions, panthers, etc) in the US.  Go in clean, don't spoil anything by reading up on it.

Current rankings:
OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>YOLT>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>OP>DN>
TWINE>TND>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton

I wonder if I live in the only country where this is shown on Saturday night prime time on the biggest TV channel: A short-haired boyish woman with a distinctive dialect, a man from her home town on a synthesizer and an elderly professor talk about language. Stranger still, it works  ajb007/biggrin

Have been watching The Stranger on Netflix, only 2 episodes in but we’re liking it.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

Just finished Altered Carbon series 2 on Netflix, another great sci-fi series.  ajb007/cheers

“God has given you one face, and you make yourself another"

Sometimes it's hard to find stuff on Amazon Prime, but I've found a great old show.
"Ultimate Force" a programme about an SAS unit and their adventures. If you missed it
It's very like the Professionals / who dares wins.  With some very interesting story Ideas.
Episode 3 has someone murdering soldiers trying to do the survival course.
  All four seasons are on prime and well worth a watch.  I know Silhouette Man will be
watching as he's a big Ross Kemp fan  ajb007/wink

Has anyone seen the miniseries "The looming tower"? I haven't yet. It's based on real events in the US intelligence community in the 1990's when the rivalries between CIA and FBI led to the inteligence failiure of 9/11. Looks very interesting.

It's very good Number24 definitely recommend, you'll be swearing at the telly though.

I’ve just watched Tinker, Tailor , soldier spy and Smiley’s People with Sir Alec Guiness on Amazon Prime. Just brilliant I’d watched tinker tailor decades ago.
Will have to reread the books.
I’ve just seen first episode of the Americans and am hooked. I’d heard great reviews but hadn’t got round to watching it.
Normally I’d be watching the football .

Anthony

Gymkata wrote:

We're three episodes into TIGER KING on Netflix.  This show is absolutely batsh_t insane.  If you want something that's really out there with people who probably need to be committed to an asylum, this is definitely for you.

This is one of the maddest things I've seen on the TV. Absolutely nuts ... all of them including, Carol f***ing Baskin  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol

We've been watching 'Ozark' . Absolutely love it. I watched the first episode when it first came out and didn't think much of it however, lock down and all that, I gave it a second go and I've found it excellent. Very dry in places.

UI have started re-watching "Yes, minister". It's first rate. I can't think of a political comedy show these days that is as hillarious, intelligent and biting as this one. Veep tries to be, but it relies too much on profanities insted of biting wit.

Last edited by Number24 (12th Apr 2020 12:37)

Have you ever seen " The Thick of it " ? a modern version of how politics is done.  ajb007/biggrin

No, I haven't. I'll look into it some day.

Loads of swearing as it's about Spin Doctors and how they are the puppet masters
of modern politicians, but apparently very true to life. It also has Peter Capaldi in it,
and he's always worth watching.  ajb007/wink

Just to make myself clear: swearing doesn't exclude wit, but it can in no way replace it in a comedy.

Just wanted to let you know in advance. It does actually suit the show and some of
the insults are amazingly funny.

I look forward to watching it some day  ajb007/smile

Thunderpussy wrote:

Loads of swearing as it's about Spin Doctors and how they are the puppet masters
of modern politicians, but apparently very true to life. It also has Peter Capaldi in it,
and he's always worth watching.  ajb007/wink

The BBC where using the very sweary 'Lockdown' episode to promote staying at home and staying safe.

I have to say Malolm Tucker is one of the best ever characters on TV iMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz4bh9L172U

Last edited by Lady Rose (12th Apr 2020 13:47)

Malolm Tucker balling someone out is a
Joy to behold.  ajb007/biggrin

Watched a very young Peter Capaldi in Local Hero on Saturday afternoon , best bit is when the old farmers are arguing which is best a Ferrari or Rolls Royce and he comes up with "Well how many bails of Hey can you get in a Ferrari" ?

Thunderpussy wrote:

Have you ever seen " The Thick of it " ? a modern version of how politics is done.  ajb007/biggrin

The Thick of It was Armando Iannucci's show before Veep.

I've never seen the show meself, but there was also a movie called In the Loop which I have seen, where Capaldi's character goes to Washington. All those endless strings of cusswords flow very naturally out of Capaldi's mouth, even moreso than Julia Louise Dreyfuss.

Iannucci also made Death of Stalin.

Iannucci is a talented writer In the loop is the film version of The thick of it.
I love the bit in the film when a General berates Capaldi's character ending with
" You English B'stard "  then Capaldi gives him a mouthful ending with  " and it's
Scottish B'stard !"  ajb007/lol

Thunderpussy have you seen Veep?
how would you compare the two shows?

Sadly No, I've not seen it.

Thunderpussy wrote:

Sometimes it's hard to find stuff on Amazon Prime, but I've found a great old show.
"Ultimate Force" a programme about an SAS unit and their adventures. If you missed it
It's very like the Professionals / who dares wins.  With some very interesting story Ideas.
Episode 3 has someone murdering soldiers trying to do the survival course.
  All four seasons are on prime and well worth a watch.  I know Silhouette Man will be
watching as he's a big Ross Kemp fan
  ajb007/wink

Ha ha! Good one, TP!  ajb007/lol

"If you took Ross Kemp and all his programmes and fitted them into a black hole I'd shake your ------- hand!" - Paul Calf (Steve Coogan).  ajb007/biggrin

"The tough man of the world. The secret agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).