Re: Anything Good on TV ?

In Fact Ross is that good, in one sequence after a shoot out
He took a guys pulse in his neck, and didn't have to remove
his heavy military gloves.  ajb007/biggrin

“God has given you one face, and you make yourself another"

Blimey this takes me back Van Der Valk new series tonight ITV UK , hope they use the original theme song loved it .
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9128874/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Frigiliana wrote:

Blimey this takes me back Van Der Valk new series tonight ITV UK , hope they use the original theme song loved it .
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9128874/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

I used to love Van der Valk growing up…I believe they do use the original theme tune  ajb007/martini

YNWA 96

The Unbearables

They use a bit of it fleetingly but it's far too chirpy for this fare, which is a bit Scandi noir but not.

I've been watching reruns of the drama Innocent on ITV about a man released from jail on a technicality after being convicted of his wife's murder, he says he didn't do it but interestingly the manner of the actor does not lend credence to this as he looks a bit dangerous, charmless and highly strung. I think it's set in Norfolk, it has some wonderful shots.
For all that, the actor's manner and accent does remind me of comic Lee Mack, you do expect him to make some of his deadpan, terse trademark quips.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Napoleon Plural wrote:

They use a bit of it fleetingly but it's far too chirpy for this fare, which is a bit Scandi noir but not.

Van der Valk has been getting poor reviews  ajb007/frown

Napoleon Plural wrote:

I've been watching reruns of the drama Innocent on ITV about a man released from jail on a technicality after being convicted of his wife's murder, he says he didn't do it but interestingly the manner of the actor does not lend credence to this as he looks a bit dangerous, charmless and highly strung. I think it's set in Norfolk, it has some wonderful shots.
For all that, the actor's manner and accent does remind me of comic Lee Mack, you do expect him to make some of his deadpan, terse trademark quips.

I’ve never seen Innocent but the lead guy (Lee Ingleby) I remember from Early Doors - now that’s one the finest tv comedies ever  ajb007/martini

YNWA 96

The Unbearables

In the UK, Paramount are showing Remington Steele on Wednesdays at 4.20am.

I've been watching Upload on Amazon Prime--like Netflix's Altered Carbon, it's about gaining "immortality" by uploading your memories into virtual form. . .but this show's pretty much a comedy, and it's a good one.

Vox clamantis in deserto

Gangs of London on Sky.

Started watching this thinking it was one thing, turned out to be something different to what I was expecting.

Good fun if you don't mind excessive violence, graphic injuries and OTT fight scenes.

Actually bit concerned about my mental health in lockdown .... watching Gangs of London directly followed by Boardwalk Empire ... I'm obviously feeling very angry  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol

Ben McIntyre is a Bond/Fleming expert and his documentary on Operation Mincemeat was shown on BBC4 last night. It is terrific stuff and done like a thriller.
It's the story of how the Allies - Brits really - carried out misdirection tactics against the enemy prior to their invasion of Cyprus, by having a body float by with plans for the invasion of Greece instead.
It was filmed as The Man Who Never Was I think but this documentary must be better, not least because of all the new info that has materialised over the decades.
It will be on iPlayer most likely, but the pace of it reminded me of the Bond doc Everything or Nothing, and of course the whole 'fake somebody's death' thing anticipates YOLT - albeit the film, in which Fleming - being dead himself by then - had no part.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Napoleon Plural wrote:

Ben McIntyre is a Bond/Fleming expert and his documentary on Operation Mincemeat was shown on BBC4 last night. It is terrific stuff and done like a thriller.
It's the story of how the Allies - Brits really - carried out misdirection tactics against the enemy prior to their invasion of Cyprus, by having a body float by with plans for the invasion of Greece instead.
It was filmed as The Man Who Never Was I think but this documentary must be better, not least because of all the new info that has materialised over the decades. ajb007/amazed
It will be on iPlayer most likely, but the pace of it reminded me of the Bond doc Everything or Nothing, and of course the whole 'fake somebody's death' thing anticipates YOLT - albeit the film, in which Fleming - being dead himself by then - had no part.

I saw that that was on again last night and you are right - it’s a terrific documentary. It’s taken from his book of the same name. A couple of nights previous was his other documentary (again taken from his book of the same name) on Agent Zigzag - and THAT is an incredible story  ajb007/amazed

YNWA 96

The Unbearables

I hope that documentary makes it stateside. . .I've read the book and it's excellent!

Vox clamantis in deserto

That documentary has been on youtube for some time. In fact it's been linked to in the "True stories from the world of espionage" thread since October 2018. I reccomend that thread if you like espionage history.  ajb007/smile

Documantary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont … e=emb_logo

The "Don't mention the war" episode of Fawlty Towers has been removed from the BBC-owned UKTV streaming service. We don't know why or if a man with green trainers was somehow  involved in the decision.

Number24 wrote:

The "Don't mention the war" episode of Fawlty Towers has been removed from the BBC-owned UKTV streaming service. We don't know why or if a man with green trainers was somehow  involved in the decision.

Of all the novels predicting the future, 1984 is the most accurate of all.

Censorship is dangerous and everyone’s future is at stake where it is allowed to prosper.

Voltaire: I disapprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it.
Voltaire: Common sense is not so common.
Voltaire: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

One has to wonder if any of Fleming's Bond books will meet a simular fate some day. It's impoortant to discuss and question art that is of its time and expresses different values than most have today, but we should be careful about removing them.

Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist

A young woman discovers she has the ability to hear the innermost thoughts of people around her as songs and musical numbers. (IMDB)

Jane Levy is very charming in the lead role and songs and dance is used very well to convey feelings and thoughts. This series is fun, charming and sometimes moving.

Tonight there's a big interview special with four British acting Dames on TV (don't know the English title yet), including Judi Densh. I'm looking forwward to it   ajb007/bond

Number24 wrote:

Tonight there's a big interview special with four British acting Dames on TV (don't know the English title yet), including Judi Densh. I'm looking forwward to it   ajb007/bond

Is that the way that Sean Connery spells her name?

Current rankings:
OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>YOLT>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>OP>DN>
TWINE>TND>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton

Yesh. Mish Moneypenny schent a memo   ajb007/lol

It was "Nothing like a Dame" with  Judy Dench, Maggie Smith, Eileen Atkins and Joan Plowright. I've never known anything about Dame Judy's acting career before, so that was nice. It was also interesting when she was speaking about the Bond films and she mentioned the press conference Kim Philby called when he was suspected of being one of the Camebridege Five. "Any actor should watch it". Judy Dench thought that was great acting by Philby.

Don't know if this has been mentioned but it's a cracking spy series Le Bureau des Légendes .https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4063800/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Netflix

I've been catching up with The Saint on the ITV hub  ajb007/martini
Roger was just perfect to play Simon Templar

“God has given you one face, and you make yourself another"

Yes, Roger is brilliant as The Saint and he effortlessly segues into the Lord Brett Sinclair role in The Persuaders  ajb007/smile
Smooth as silk is our Rog  ajb007/martini

I have been watching loads of old series that passed me by when they were first screened - onto Season 11 of Midsomer Murders (John Nettles is brilliant as Barnaby), Happy Valley was good and we have just finished the first season of Mr Selfridge.

I enjoyed watching Mr. Selfridge. I've just finished the second series of My Brilliant Friend, an Italian show about two friends growing up in a poor area of Naples in the 1950s. It took a while to watch each episode because it's in Italian with sub titles so I'd often have to pause it or rewind so I could keep up.