Re: Pros and Cons: Live and Let Die

Agent Purple wrote:

Barbel, what's your opinion of Sheriff Pepper?

He's a necessary evil, there to balance out the characters. There are no white villains in LALD, but at least there's a white fool- if he wasn't there, all the main white characters (Bond, Solitaire, Felix) are heroic. Similarly, there are two heroic black characters (Quarrel, Strutter) otherwise the main black characters (Kananga/Mr Big, TeeHee, Baron Samedi) are all villains.

Barbel wrote:
Agent Purple wrote:

Barbel, what's your opinion of Sheriff Pepper?

He's a necessary evil, there to balance out the characters. There are no white villains in LALD, but at least there's a white fool- if he wasn't there, all the main white characters (Bond, Solitaire, Felix) are heroic. Similarly, there are two heroic black characters (Quarrel, Strutter) otherwise the main black characters (Kananga/Mr Big, TeeHee, Baron Samedi) are all villains.

Yes, well said there. Pepper was so great a fool he needed an encore  ajb007/crap

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

ajb007/lol Of course.

I still ponder the esoterica of traffic control and goony-birds...the subtext was very deep in those days...

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

McCartney's song is so epic, and goes along great with the TS.

"Hostile takeovers.  Shall we?"
New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
1. TLD  2. TND  3. GF  4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
Bond actors to be re-ranked later

I do like the way they give the impression that the cards foretold that Bond and Solitaire would be lovers.  It's pretty cool to see.

1. TLD  2. TND  3. GF  4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)

I remember reading somewhere  ( I've reached the point of mixing up which books I've read things in )  ajb007/lol
That they used the cards to " foretell"  The event, as it would involve Bond seducing  a virgin, which is a
bit" caddish"  ajb007/wink

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

Having a Bond film that involves the occult is indeed something interesting.

Also, gotta love that boat chase.

For some weird reason, Kananga just doesn't hit me that hard as a BV, apart from that scene when he removes his mask and later slaps Solitaire.  Doesn't quite strike me the way Zorin, Scaramanga, Drax, or Carver do.

Agent Purple wrote:

Kananga just doesn't hit me that hard as a BV

Yeah he's very forgettable. IMO he's up there with Dominic Greene as forgettable.

1. TWINE  2. FYEO  3. MR  4. TLD  5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS  7. DN  8. OP  9. AVTAK  10. TMWTGG  11. QoS 12. GE  13. CR  14. TB  15. FRWL  16. LTK  17. GF  18. SF  19. LaLD  20. YOLT  21. TND  22. DAD  23. DAF.

"If you'll forgive me, that's a little too scented for my palate."

hmd, I notice that L&LD is your least fave of the Moores.  What are your main issues with it?

Last edited by Agent Purple (18th Nov 2015 04:10)

Live and Let Die is a great Bond movie.  I love it.

I just saw a recent-ish interview in which Moore was asked whether he prefers Live and Let Die or For Your Eyes Only.  He wholeheartedly backed LALD.  I love when actors answer questions honestly.

They are 2 very different films.
The Moore Era was really special, and you can tell by the way people are split on whic films of said era they like more.

Agent Purple wrote:

hmd, I notice that L&LD is your least fave of the Moores.  What are your main issues with it?

Hmm, I don't find the storyline that interesting - and Moore isn't settled in yet. While I think it's a cool movie, the final boat chase stuff is awesome - it just doesn't do it for me like other films do.

Then again, it may move up on my BluRay marathon occurring now!

1. TWINE  2. FYEO  3. MR  4. TLD  5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS  7. DN  8. OP  9. AVTAK  10. TMWTGG  11. QoS 12. GE  13. CR  14. TB  15. FRWL  16. LTK  17. GF  18. SF  19. LaLD  20. YOLT  21. TND  22. DAD  23. DAF.

heartbroken_mr_drax wrote:
Agent Purple wrote:

Moore isn't settled in yet.

I agree.  While I like his performance in L&LD, I feel that he didn't nail Bond as quickly as Connery, Dalton, or Brosnan.  I give Moore an A minus for his L&LD performance, whereas I give Connery an A average in DN (it's for his GF performance that I give an A plus), the same to Brosnan in GE, and an A plus to Dalton for his TLD performance.

Anyways hmd, what are your thoughts on Solitaire?

Last edited by Agent Purple (18th Nov 2015 14:38)

- and Moore isn't settled in yet.

Sorry, but in my eyes, Moore is much mo(o)re settled in than Connery at the beginning of Dr. No and Craig at the beginning of CR!

Not to mention Dalton  ajb007/cool

Last edited by Higgins (18th Nov 2015 16:12)

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

Higgins wrote:

- and Moore isn't settled in yet.

Sorry, but in my eyes, Moore is much mo(o)re settled in than Connery at the beginning of Dr. No and Craig at the beginning of CR!

Not to mention Dalton  ajb007/cool

I agree that Moore was very settled in as Bond from the beginning. But I think Dalton was too.

We all have our opinions.

Higgins is clearly a huge fan of Sir Roger.

Roger was excellent in every Bond film he was in and hit the ground running in LALD. He made the part his own from his very first scene and never looked back.  ajb007/martini

1.ohmss  2.cr  3.frwl  4.ltk  5.gf  6.tswlm  7.sf  8.op  9.tld  10.dn  11.lald  12.tb  13.fyeo  14.ge  15.mr  16.yolt  17.tnd  18.avtak  19.sp  20.twine  21.qos  22.tmwtgg  23.daf  24.dad

For me, he was very good in L&LD, but had a gradual progression until he peaked in TSWLM, repeating the feat in MR and OP.

But I will say that, for me, all his performances ranged from good to fantastic.

It's often said that Moore slowly worked his way into the role of Bond in LALD and TMWTGG and was not truly comfortable in the part until TSWLM. There may be something in that but I think he's good in all of his films and ironically he probably has the most range as a Bond actor as LALD-TMWTGG, TSWLM-MR and FYEO-OP-AVTAK all display different versions of his Bond.  ajb007/smile  ajb007/martini

Writer/Director @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
On Twitter: @Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
"The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

I can't picture any other Bond actor who would be able to pull off both MR followed by FYEO with such aplomb.  What a guy.  ajb007/martini

1.ohmss  2.cr  3.frwl  4.ltk  5.gf  6.tswlm  7.sf  8.op  9.tld  10.dn  11.lald  12.tb  13.fyeo  14.ge  15.mr  16.yolt  17.tnd  18.avtak  19.sp  20.twine  21.qos  22.tmwtgg  23.daf  24.dad

The Wicker Man wrote:

I can't picture any other Bond actor who would be able to pull off both MR followed by FYEO with such aplomb.  What a guy.  ajb007/martini

Indeed, Moore's range as an actor is one hell of a lot more than he's mostly given credit for!  ajb007/martini

Writer/Director @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
On Twitter: @Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
"The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Silhouette Man wrote:
The Wicker Man wrote:

Indeed, Moore's range as an actor is one hell of a lot more than he's mostly given credit for!  ajb007/martini

I agree. I think he's the best at all aspects of Bond save for the more physical ones. He makes a lot of jokes, but overall he isn't silly. A number of his films are silly. LALD's boat chase, for instance, is very silly, but Moore is not silly at all throughout the boat chase.

I guess I should've explained myself a little further - I do feel that he just takes the reins of the role in LALD very quickly and is confident and comfortable in it - but he continually improves in the role to make it even more of his own all the way until the end. LALD, you don't see the full Moore - but there's nothing wrong with that!

Nice points up above about Moore's range and ability. He's bloody awesome!  ajb007/martini

Agent Purple wrote:

Anyways hmd, what are your thoughts on Solitaire?

Beautiful, but forgettable IMO. She does have a good storyline as being the card reader and integral to the villain but I prefer non-weak Bond girls, and Solitaire is weak.