Re: Pros and Cons: You Only Live Twice

This was Peter Hunt's decision. He was a huge fan of the Theme and used it again and again as you say- notice that the original recording of it isn't heard again after Hunt leaves the series. Barry didn't agree with this (no surprise there), since either he'd written something else or had preferred to leave a scene musicless.

Barbel wrote:

This was Peter Hunt's decision. He was a huge fan of the Theme and used it again and again as you say- notice that the original recording of it isn't heard again after Hunt leaves the series. Barry didn't agree with this (no surprise there), since either he'd written something else or had preferred to leave a scene musicless.

Thanks!

It's interesting how in the Moore films and TLD how Barry used the Bond Theme in his score in a more standalone manner than he did in the Connery films. He always used the vamp a lot, and he'd put in one of the melodies from the theme as a brief section of another piece. But starting with TMWTGG he'd start to use the the straight-up Bond theme, just in his new orchestral arrangement, unlike he ever did before. Do you know why he made this change in his scores?

Between DAF and TMWTGG, Barry recorded an album called "The Concert John Barry" http://www.amazon.co.uk/Concert-John-Ba … B003E73FP8 where he conducted the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (this tied in with an actual concert at the time), and he revised all the arrangements for the 7 (to date) Bond themes. These were run together as a "James Bond Suite" and from this time on he always used the arrangement of the Theme he wrote at this time- most easily identified by the main riff being carried by the string section rather than solo guitar.

This arrangement was tinkered with over the next twenty years or so, with slightly different variations cropping up in the Bond films and finally in an album called "Moviola" http://www.amazon.co.uk/Barry-Moviola-S … B000024L3Y in which the Bond Suite was re-recorded (less satisfactorily IMNSHO) with one addition, "All Time High" from OP.

The way he used the Theme in the scores did evolve, though there's not too much difference between say "Oddjob's Pressing Engagement" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHl6WQCb5S8 and "Let's Go Get 'Em" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzrfJYIkdMQ  in the way he fuses the film's main theme with the Bond Theme. The use of outright statements of the Theme during action sequences https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDgj0_aTuGQ definitely increased, as you say, though that had always been done https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYZv1RSYexI with the use of the guitar decreasing with time.

After rewatching YOLT, a new list of Pros and Cons:

Pros:

-Connery's performance is somewhat more enjoyable than in TB.
-Pleasence's Blofeld makes for an amusing villain.
-Tiger Tanaka is a memorable Bond Ally.
-Aki is a likeable Bond Girl.
-The volcano lair.
-The location shots of Japan.
-The score is sweet.

Cons:

-Bond "dies", the people who find him seem to think he's dead, and yet the British Navy somehow knows he's alive (is that the entire British Navy, or just a priviledged few?).
-Bond in a Japanese disguise and faking a marriage.  All that to get into a volcano base?  Really?
-Connery, even though imo he gives a decent performance, is no longer as great as he was in GF.

Overall, I like YOLT, and give it an 8/10.  It's now my 3rd fave of the Connery EON Bond films.

Last edited by Agent Purple (29th Nov 2015 21:38)

"Hostile takeovers.  Shall we?"
New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
1. TLD  2. TND  3. GF  4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
Bond actors to be re-ranked later

You left out the great cinematography! ajb007/martini

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

Agent Purple wrote:

Cons:
-Bond "dies", the people who find him seem to thUtink he's dead, and yet the British Navy somehow knows he's alive (is that the entire British Navy, or just a priviledged few?).
-Bond in a Japanese disguise and faking a marriage.  All that to get into a volcano base?  Really?
-Connery, even though imo he gives a decent performance, is no longer as great as he was in GF.

Overall, I like YOLT, and give it an 8/10.  It's now my 3rd fave of the Connery EON Bond films.

a) I would assume that only the selected  few would know. Many would think that he is getting buried at sea
b) Once Bond and Tanaka meet there are many loopholes in the story. For e.g. when 007 is training to become a ninja, he is still being attacked implying that is cover is blown, and Aki was sacrificed too. But you just have to learn to ignore this as once Bond goes to the cave, the movie again picks up superbly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp1mFLMyixU

^ The background score when 007 and Hans fight is simply brilliant  ajb007/martini

Btw, I find Aki's death rather unsettling.  There's something disturbing about it.

"Hostile takeovers.  Shall we?"
New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
1. TLD  2. TND  3. GF  4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
Bond actors to be re-ranked later

Agent Purple wrote:

Btw, I find Aki's death rather unsettling.  There's something disturbing about it.

It certainly is. It's very sad too.

She's beautiful  ajb007/embarrassed

1. TWINE  2. FYEO  3. MR  4. TLD  5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS  7. DN  8. OP  9. AVTAK  10. TMWTGG  11. QoS 12. GE  13. CR  14. TB  15. FRWL  16. LTK  17. GF  18. SF  19. LaLD  20. YOLT  21. TND  22. DAD  23. DAF.

"If you'll forgive me, that's a little too scented for my palate."

Aki, was such a lovely character, I too find her death very sad.

Aki is one of those characters you wished no harm came to them

Exactly, she is beautiful, but I feel more like protecting her,
Rather than doing the " Naughty"   ajb007/smile

Thunderpussy wrote:

Exactly, she is beautiful, but I feel more like protecting her,
Rather than doing the " Naughty"   ajb007/smile

Bet you feel the same way about Christmas also!!  ajb007/lol

Instagram - bondclothes007

No, with Christmas, she's never walk again.  ajb007/wink

Thunderpussy wrote:

No, with Christmas, she's never walk again.  ajb007/wink

ajb007/cheers

1. TWINE  2. FYEO  3. MR  4. TLD  5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS  7. DN  8. OP  9. AVTAK  10. TMWTGG  11. QoS 12. GE  13. CR  14. TB  15. FRWL  16. LTK  17. GF  18. SF  19. LaLD  20. YOLT  21. TND  22. DAD  23. DAF.

Funny thing with YOLT. Sometimes i really like it. Sometimes not so much.

Pros:
.The locations, cinematography, and score are all top class.
.Without it, there might not be any Austin Powers.
.Donald Pleasence is iconic.
.Tiger Tanaka.
.Bond's "death".
.Beautiful theme song.
.Ken Adam's sets. The Volcano set is spectacular.
.Little Nellie.
.Aki and Kissy are gorgeous.
.Aki's death is disturbing.
.The first act, up until the bath scene, is perfect for me.
.The movie is just HUGE. Everything about it is epic.

Cons:
.Compared to the previous films, the writing isn't too special.
.Connery is still good but past his prime.
.The turning Japanese scenario could've been done better.
.The scenes between Bond and Kissy on the island i usually skip.
.The writing and dubbing of Kissy.
.The special effects are pretty dated. Not a big problem.

Note:
.Me and my 8 year old cousin watched about 9 Bonds last summer. He made me watch this one with him twice ajb007/lol

8/10 ajb007/martini

1. Connery 2. Moore 3. Dalton 4. Brosnan 5. Craig 6. Lazenby

Remington wrote:

Cons:
.Compared to the previous films, the writing isn't too special.

As much as I like the movie, that is my main issue with YOLT, it's such a departure that could've lowered the series' level. I wish they had done Diamonds in 67 (or any other Fleming novel) so that they could do Her Majesty's with Twice being the follow up. Well, at least we got a proper OHMSS.

Last edited by Dirty Punker (24th Apr 2017 11:38)

a reasonable rate of return

My Bond marathon continues... I just saw this film the other day and... oh boy. I have quite a fair bit to say.

Pro's:

* First appearance of Blofeld on-screen played superbly by Donald Pleasance
* Aki was a fantastic Bond girl
* Tiger Tanaka was a memorable Bond ally, first since Kerim Bey in From Russia With Love
* The first half of the film has quite a bit of action and memorable moments

Con's:

* The dying plot in the pre-credits. Why did the secret service feel that this was even necessary? Did they KNOW that James was going to be a target for SPECTRE, having defeated them three times already? Or was it just a coincidence? M's statement does not answer this question
* Poor writing in comparison to ALL previous Bond films
* Sean Connery's performance is nothing like, and again I say this, ALL previous Bond films. He came across as bored and un-interested and it clearly shows
* Kissy's performance and portrayal in the film
* Lack of memorability from the film as a whole, it's just Home Brand spread on a piece of bread
* The entire volcano sequence and segment is boring in my opinion
* Like TB, this film does not 'really' acknowledge Bond's past with SPECTRE (even though #1 knew the death of Bond was a hoax)
* The score of the movie

Overall... Compared with the prior films with SPECTRE, Connery's earlier performances and even GF, this film just does not hold up as memorable or worthwhile. It is a dud, pretty much like DAF and most of the Pierce Brosnan era (my opinion). I was actually happy that they hired a new actor to do the next film. Their only mistake was asking the original actor to return for what was it? $2 million USD?

YOLT gets a 5/10.

1. FYEO 2. OHMSS 3. TLD 4. FRWL 5. LTK 6. TSWLM 7. CR 8. OP  9. GF 10. DN 11. MR 12. SP 13. LALD 14. QOS 15. TB 16. SF 17. TMWTGG 18. GE 19. YOLT 20. AVTAK 21. TND 22. TWINE 23. DAF 24. DAD

1. Dalton 2. Connery 3. Moore 4. Craig 5. Lazenby  6. Brosnan

^ The biggest flaw of the film for me is that they give away the plot so early in the film. The film's too big for itself.

TSWLM is almost like the 2nd go for Gilbert (I mean the plot is similar, just on sea) - it's a much tighter, better made film.

Last edited by heartbroken_mr_drax (28th May 2017 23:08)

I see what you mean. That wasn't as big an issue for me as it was some others, but it definitely took away the suspense where it was needed. The entire film just feels like a huge step down in quality from everything seen previously, and that MI6 really don't have much involvement.

1. FYEO 2. OHMSS 3. TLD 4. FRWL 5. LTK 6. TSWLM 7. CR 8. OP  9. GF 10. DN 11. MR 12. SP 13. LALD 14. QOS 15. TB 16. SF 17. TMWTGG 18. GE 19. YOLT 20. AVTAK 21. TND 22. TWINE 23. DAF 24. DAD

1. Dalton 2. Connery 3. Moore 4. Craig 5. Lazenby  6. Brosnan

Wadsy wrote:

Con's:

* The score of the movie

I'm surprised by this; most  consider the score to be one of the film's assets. What is it you dislike about it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI0pjLQ … mp;index=1

YOLT 50 today.....I guess we should be toasting in sake and not vodka martini for this  ajb007/lol

First Bond I ever saw back in '88 (same yr as Osato died , too)

Con's:

* The dying plot in the pre-credits. Why did the secret service feel that this was even necessary? Did they KNOW that James was going to be a target for SPECTRE, having defeated them three times already? Or was it just a coincidence? M's statement does not answer this question (I like the symbolic nature of that scene , death and re-birth)

* Poor writing in comparison to ALL previous Bond films (decent in itself though)

* Sean Connery's performance is nothing like, and again I say this, ALL previous Bond films. He came across as bored and un-interested and it clearly shows (he did okay)

* Kissy's performance and portrayal in the film (much preferred Aki)

* The entire volcano sequence and segment is boring in my opinion (that's the best part of the whole movie if you ask me...what if it was possible to have such a base in a volcano...couldn't happen but cool notion)

* The score of the movie (wonderful if you ask me)

Connery paid 1.1 mill for DAF....I find GF kinda overrated and this is much more fun than Brosnans although GE is better

Question about YOLT. Does anyone know how they filmed the car being lifted by the magnet?

I've always wanted to have Christmas in Turkey

I'd say that they've had a car that was fixed on the magnet when the helicopter lifts it up.

The dumping may have been done with a kind of movable bolt. The fake magnet was large enough to hide 2 cows inside, so there could have been a lot of tec hidden there

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

So you think it was life-size and not a model?

I've always wanted to have Christmas in Turkey