101

Re: The Living Daylights - it just gets better and better...

ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

102

Re: The Living Daylights - it just gets better and better...

Wadsy wrote:

Why do you not like either of them? I respect your opinion, just curious.

Just some points of my beef with the Dalton Movies:

1. Dalton! He's just the uncool guy that everybody picked upon at school because he was pretending to be cool.
And that's how he still acts as James Bond

What I particularly don't like are his misty eyes - everytime that he plays emotions. When he's happy, he weeps, when he's angry - he weeps, when he's romantic - he weeps, when he's desperate - he weeps. It seems that his only facial expression is to cry. And Bond never cries - with some minor exceptions.

Dalton may be a loyal bloke against the producers and a nice guy in private, in my opinion he never was cool, he never will be but he tries to be something that he's not.

2. As for TLD, I find the Afghanistan scenes very slow, boring and visually cheaply made.

3. Whittaker looks like a friendly Santa, but never like a villain.

4. The toy soldier battle at the end is simply pathetic and so is the sequence with the pipeline.

5. Kara seems to be cute but she's simply anorexic and I cringe when I see her.

6. The balloon popping scene is pathetic. I know that it's metaphoric, but if you look at it it's just Bond in agor, with dramatic music, who's popping a balloon. Wow!

7. I love ski chases, but that one they really messed up - probably because Willy Bogner was not in charge again. Just look at the baddie guys jumping like rabbits in a bad cartoon.
And then the Cello Case! Moore haters would have crucified him for that!

The positive things about TLD are the beautiful locations in Austria and the Aston Martin. I also like the car chase and Necros makes a good henchman. The fact that Barry returned for a last time is also a plus.

When I saw TLD first, I was a big fan and supporter - I was happy to see a new and younger Bond in a more down-to-earth movie. I very much liked FYEO for the same reasons minus the young actor.

Shortly after the movie came out, I moved to Vienna, I've lived next to the Volksoper and had most of the locations in walking distance. The places there are gorgeous but excitement for the movie wore off quickly after some years.

Now, do you want to hear my opinion about LTK?
I like it slightly better, but there are still many things that I truly detest - and one hint - Dalton is one of them  ajb007/biggrin  ajb007/biggrin  ajb007/biggrin

Last edited by Higgins (18th Nov 2016 07:36)

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

103

Re: The Living Daylights - it just gets better and better...

TLD is an average Bond movie - Dalton is terrific and there are many excellent sequences but there are too may Moore leftovers seeping into the edges and Joe Don Baker is a poor actor. LTK is a magnificent entry, one of the best Bond's ever with Dalton giving a superb performance. Just wish he had done some more.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

104

Re: The Living Daylights - it just gets better and better...

Just watched TLD in my current Bondathan. I am seriously contemplating putting this at #1.

105

Re: The Living Daylights - it just gets better and better...

MooseWithFleas wrote:

Just watched TLD in my current Bondathan. I am seriously contemplating putting this at #1.

Well, it IS at #1 for ME! ajb007/smile All I did was think to how I feel while watching it... and it always makes me feel GREAT! ajb007/heart

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

106

Re: The Living Daylights - it just gets better and better...

TLD has only one flaw for me, and that would be the entire sequence from when Bond gets discovered alive by Koskov while in Afghanistan... Until the plane actually takes off for a wicked climax, it feels long and dragged out.

1. FYEO 2. OHMSS 3. TLD 4. FRWL 5. LTK 6. TSWLM 7. CR 8. OP  9. GF 10. DN 11. MR 12. SP 13. LALD 14. QOS 15. TB 16. SF 17. TMWTGG 18. GE 19. YOLT 20. AVTAK 21. TND 22. TWINE 23. DAF 24. DAD

1. Dalton 2. Connery 3. Moore 4. Craig 5. Lazenby  6. Brosnan

107

Re: The Living Daylights - it just gets better and better...

Wadsy wrote:

TLD has only one flaw for me, and that would be the entire sequence from when Bond gets discovered alive by Koskov while in Afghanistan... Until the plane actually takes off for a wicked climax, it feels long and dragged out.

Yeah it's not the best sequence in the film, looks like it lacks a bit of budget and it has the annoying film cliche of "don't shoot the plane" meaning that all reality of other situations is gone.

TND's PTS covers a better raid feeling because there's the suspense of the missile and the base is small, makes the sequence tighter and more hand-to-hand. I find the size of the volcano lair in YOLT limits how good the finale feels too.

Last edited by heartbroken_mr_drax (22nd Nov 2016 02:07)

1. TWINE  2. FYEO  3. MR  4. TLD  5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS  7. DN  8. OP  9. AVTAK  10. TMWTGG  11. QoS 12. GE  13. CR  14. TB  15. FRWL  16. LTK  17. GF  18. SF  19. LaLD  20. YOLT  21. TND  22. DAD  23. DAF.

"If you'll forgive me, that's a little too scented for my palate."

108

Re: The Living Daylights - it just gets better and better...

chrisisall wrote:
MooseWithFleas wrote:

Just watched TLD in my current Bondathan. I am seriously contemplating putting this at #1.

Well, it IS at #1 for ME! ajb007/smile All I did was think to how I feel while watching it... and it always makes me feel GREAT! ajb007/heart

So true!  ajb007/martini  It makes me feel great as well, such fun, especially the last scene "you didn't think I'd miss this performance did you?"

This and MR are the 2 that make me feel best, which I know you disagree on the latter ajb007/smile

109

Re: The Living Daylights - it just gets better and better...

heartbroken_mr_drax wrote:
Wadsy wrote:

TLD has only one flaw for me, and that would be the entire sequence from when Bond gets discovered alive by Koskov while in Afghanistan... Until the plane actually takes off for a wicked climax, it feels long and dragged out.

Yeah it's not the best sequence in the film, looks like it lacks a bit of budget and it has the annoying film cliche of "don't shoot the plane" meaning that all reality of other situations is gone.

TND's PTS covers a better raid feeling because there's the suspense of the missile and the base is small, makes the sequence tighter and more hand-to-hand. I find the size of the volcano lair in YOLT limits how good the finale feels too.

If there is any Bond film that lacks a budget, it would be LTK. But it is still an awesome Bond film, but compared with TLD (Afghanistan excluded), the locations are very inferior.

1. FYEO 2. OHMSS 3. TLD 4. FRWL 5. LTK 6. TSWLM 7. CR 8. OP  9. GF 10. DN 11. MR 12. SP 13. LALD 14. QOS 15. TB 16. SF 17. TMWTGG 18. GE 19. YOLT 20. AVTAK 21. TND 22. TWINE 23. DAF 24. DAD

1. Dalton 2. Connery 3. Moore 4. Craig 5. Lazenby  6. Brosnan

110

Re: The Living Daylights - it just gets better and better...

I agree with Higgins. TLD gets worse for me with every viewing as of lately. I enjoy some things about it but for the most part it's wasted potential. I'm not fond of Tim as Bond in it. He was slightly better in LTK but he's my least favorite Bond. He comes off as too forced to me.

"No for me."
"You forgot the first rule of Mass Media Elliot! Give the people what they want!!!"
"I never miss..."
"Time to face gravity!"

111

Re: The Living Daylights - it just gets better and better...

BruceMurdock wrote:

I agree with Higgins.

...and somewhere deep in Europe an LED starts flashing. Green-shod feet begin moving to the keyboard. A smile breaks out: "Ich bin allein nicht!"

112

Re: The Living Daylights - it just gets better and better...

BruceMurdock wrote:

I agree with Higgins. TLD gets worse for me with every viewing as of lately. I enjoy some things about it but for the most part it's wasted potential. I'm not fond of Tim as Bond in it. He was slightly better in LTK but he's my least favorite Bond. He comes off as too forced to me.

ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers
ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers
ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers

Welcome to the Tim Dalton Misty-Eyed Fan Club!!!!


ICH BIN NICHT ALLEIN!!!!   ajb007/biggrin  ajb007/biggrin  ajb007/biggrin

Great to see a Brother in Arms!

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

113

Re: The Living Daylights - it just gets better and better...

You were just in time, things were about to turn NASTAY!  ajb007/lol

"No for me."
"You forgot the first rule of Mass Media Elliot! Give the people what they want!!!"
"I never miss..."
"Time to face gravity!"

114

Re: The Living Daylights - it just gets better and better...

Hey, now that we are two - we can conquer the wooorld  ajb007/biggrin

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

115

Re: The Living Daylights - it just gets better and better...

I just think it's nice you've found someone after all these years.  ajb007/tongue  ajb007/biggrin

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

116

Re: The Living Daylights - it just gets better and better...

Who'd of thought it, a dyed in the wool Daltonista like me agreeing that it does indeed diminish in stature over time. The whole thing sags in the middle, has a weak payoff and a terrible leading lady. At the time I was overcome with joy to have a younger, fitter, more capable Bond that the flaws paled into insignificance, the jarring failed comic moments, mis placed quips...Where I disagree with the view is that what it has going for it is a sterling performance from Tim. Tough, deteprmined, rebellious and plausible. I do agree that the 'misty eyed' moments are a slight cringe though

Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.

117

Re: The Living Daylights - it just gets better and better...

waaaaaaah, there seem to be THOUSANDS!!!!!!!!!

We must STOP! IT! NOW!

ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

118

Re: The Living Daylights - it just gets better and better...

Thunderpussy wrote:

I just think it's nice you've found someone after all these years.  ajb007/tongue  ajb007/biggrin

Yep, I now have someone while you are still alone  ajb007/tongue  ajb007/tongue  ajb007/biggrin

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

119

Re: The Living Daylights - it just gets better and better...

ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol
I'm never alone with the voices in my head  ajb007/wink

Although  isn't this a sign of the "End of days" when people  turn
against  Dalton ?   ajb007/biggrin

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

120

Re: The Living Daylights - it just gets better and better...

no, it's just a normal day in Higgins-Land  ajb007/wink

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

121

Re: The Living Daylights - it just gets better and better...

The Daltonator t-800 is being replace by the Brosnanator T-1000 ajb007/lol
http://i.imgur.com/ojS5l2tl.jpg

"No for me."
"You forgot the first rule of Mass Media Elliot! Give the people what they want!!!"
"I never miss..."
"Time to face gravity!"

122

Re: The Living Daylights - it just gets better and better...

I wish TLD did get better and better. The quality of the first hour cannot be sustained and the scenes especially in Afghanistan pale by comparison. I still really like TLD but if the second half matched the quality of the first it would be top 3 instead of top 10 for me. Oh and Dalton is excellent  ajb007/takecover

1.ohmss  2.cr  3.frwl  4.ltk  5.gf  6.tswlm  7.sf  8.op  9.tld  10.dn  11.lald  12.tb  13.fyeo  14.ge  15.mr  16.yolt  17.tnd  18.avtak  19.sp  20.twine  21.qos  22.tmwtgg  23.daf  24.dad

123

Re: The Living Daylights - it just gets better and better...

My problems with TLD really stem from Tim's weak performance, Koskov and Whittaker being poor villains that have no menace or panache. Kara is hit and miss for me. Her characterization is all over the place. She's so easily manipulated by everyone that it's like she doesn't have a mind of her own. Caroline Bliss as Moneypenny is awful. John Terry was miscast as Felix and that scene where Bond get's tricked by his two girls with the sleezy sax music was also bad. The humor didn't work for me. And for me TLD's biggest flaw is that silly Cello case sled down the mountain scene after an awesome car chase.   It's not all bad though. John Rhys Davies gives and excellent performance in the film. He's my favorite thing about TLD. John Barry delivers a nice final score for the franchise and The previously mentioned car chase is great. I also enjoy the PTS. One of the best. It's a mixed bag for me ultimately where the bad outweighs the good.

"No for me."
"You forgot the first rule of Mass Media Elliot! Give the people what they want!!!"
"I never miss..."
"Time to face gravity!"

124

Re: The Living Daylights - it just gets better and better...

BruceMurdock wrote:

My problems with TLD really stem from Tim's weak performance

TLD is my #1, my #3 is a Brosnan, I must be mad... ajb007/insane

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

125

Re: The Living Daylights - it just gets better and better...

chrisisall wrote:
BruceMurdock wrote:

My problems with TLD really stem from Tim's weak performance

TLD is my #1, my #3 is a Brosnan, I must be mad... ajb007/insane

Daylights is a favorite of mine as well. Watched the Blu recently and it's a Bond that always remains in my top 10.