51

Re: Pros and Cons: Goldeneye

The Track that plays when Bond and Alec are fighting on top of the Satellite Dish complements the Scene perfectly  ajb007/martini

1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

52

Re: Pros and Cons: Goldeneye

Tank chase in St Petersburg is visually stunning with a great score, right from Bond and Natalya's escape from the cell up to parking zee tank in the tunnel.

'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
www.helpforheroes.org.uk
www.cancerresearchuk.org

53

Re: Pros and Cons: Goldeneye

I think they had to be cautious where they took the Tank because of the old Sewers beneath St Petersburg  ajb007/martini

1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

54

Re: Pros and Cons: Goldeneye

Didn't want to disturb the Turtles ?  ajb007/biggrin

"Let his death be a particularly unpleasant and humiliating one."

55

Re: Pros and Cons: Goldeneye

As long as they weren't those 'Snapping Turtles'  ajb007/lol

1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

56

Re: Pros and Cons: Goldeneye

I enjiyed the world is not enough and maybe even the oft-maligned die another day more than goldeneye.  But im not sure of the replay value factor.  Maybe goldeneye has the best replay value

57

Re: Pros and Cons: Goldeneye

Absolutely_Cart wrote:

I enjiyed the world is not enough and maybe even the oft-maligned die another day more than goldeneye.  But im not sure of the replay value factor.  Maybe goldeneye has the best replay value

Good grief ... that's fighting talk!

Perhaps not for TWINE, but certainly DAD.

GE has a more cartoony feel that any of Brosnan's other films, but as someone brought up (initially at least) on Moore's Bonds, there is a synergy there. The soundtrack tends to sit on top of the movie a little which is something that has always grated (in a similar way to the soundtrack of FYEO in many respects).

Given the length of time since Dalton's previous outing, I am always amazed how well GE sits in the canon though. Stunning locations, Bond girls, action scenes and a storyline that was current. The subplots were generally well considered and connected with the main plot. Brosnan was a slick Bond, but he was able to display a slightly colder emotional Bond that distanced himself from the slightly touchy-feely Dalton.

GE is still in the top 5 for me.

58

Re: Pros and Cons: Goldeneye

GE reinvented Bond  ajb007/martini

1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

59

Re: Pros and Cons: Goldeneye

Predator wrote:

the slightly touchy-feely Dalton.


ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol
May I use that line in one of my next rants against ol' Misty Eye?

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

60

Re: Pros and Cons: Goldeneye

Moore Than wrote:

Tomorrow Never Dies is guns, guns, and more guns.

YOLT is explosions, explosions, and more explosions.
TB is water, water, and more water.
CR is chases, chases, and more chases.
Etc.
You've made a good case to dislike most Bond movies. ajb007/lol

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

61

Re: Pros and Cons: Goldeneye

But tnd lacked the story to support the action unlike the others

62

Re: Pros and Cons: Goldeneye

Absolutely_Cart wrote:

But tnd lacked the story to support the action

That's the popular belief I guess. ajb007/rolleyes  I see a story, but then I'm not a member of the Anti-Brosnan-Bond-Movie-Brigade.

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

63

Re: Pros and Cons: Goldeneye

TND has a great story i think. Carver's scheme is a world domination one. It is done in a very clever way.

Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"

64

Re: Pros and Cons: Goldeneye

TND has a great story i think. Carver's scheme is a world domination one. It is done in a very clever way.

Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"

65

Re: Pros and Cons: Goldeneye

hehadlotsofguts wrote:

TND has a great story i think. Carver's scheme is a world domination one. It is done in a very clever way.

THANK YOU! ajb007/martini

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

66

Re: Pros and Cons: Goldeneye

hehadlotsofguts wrote:

TND has a great story i think. Carver's scheme is a world domination one. It is done in a very clever way.

THANK YOU! ajb007/martini

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

67

Re: Pros and Cons: Goldeneye

chrisisall wrote:
Moore Than wrote:

Tomorrow Never Dies is guns, guns, and more guns.

YOLT is explosions, explosions, and more explosions.
TB is water, water, and more water.
CR is chases, chases, and more chases.
Etc.
You've made a good case to dislike most Bond movies. ajb007/lol

I made no such case. Those comments regarding You Only Live Twice, Thunderball, and Casino Royale are all yours. I never even mentioned TB or CR in my post. I never mentioned explosions in my references to YOLT. 

I did make a case for the things I dislike about Tomorrow Never Dies.

Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007)       Moore Than (2012 - 2016)

68

Re: Pros and Cons: Goldeneye

Moore Than wrote:

I made no such case. Those comments regarding You Only Live Twice, Thunderball, and Casino Royale are all yours. I never even mentioned TB or CR in my post. I never mentioned explosions in my references to YOLT.

But... you were saying that too much of something in a Bond movie ruins the film... I was merely extrapolating to demonstrate that many Bond movies contain a large amount of something, and therefore what you were pointing out in TND holds for many other Bond movies.
Or is it ONLY guns that ruin a bond film? Because then YOLT & TSWLM are two pretty big offenders there as well. Wow, so much machine gun fire! I agree with you; they suck too! ajb007/martini

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

69

Re: Pros and Cons: Goldeneye

chrisisall wrote:
Moore Than wrote:

I made no such case. Those comments regarding You Only Live Twice, Thunderball, and Casino Royale are all yours. I never even mentioned TB or CR in my post. I never mentioned explosions in my references to YOLT.

But... you were saying that too much of something in a Bond movie ruins the film... I was merely extrapolating to demonstrate that many Bond movies contain a large amount of something, and therefore what you were pointing out in TND holds for many other Bond movies.
Or is it ONLY guns that ruin a bond film? Because then YOLT & TSWLM are two pretty big offenders there as well. Wow, so much machine gun fire! I agree with you; they suck too! ajb007/martini

There you go again, trying to put words into my mouth. I never said that too much of something in a Bond movie ruins the film. I dislike the excessive machine gun fire in Tomorrow Never Dies as it detracts from my enjoyment. In my opinion, it is too frequent throughout the film. So much of it (and other forms of weaponry) is directed at Bond himself. Hence the comment that he was never more invincible.

I do not have a problem with machine guns per se. The key words are "too frequent throughout", and "directed at Bond himself". In You Only Live Twice and The Spy Who Loved Me, the machine gun fire is less frequent throughout and not so much directed at Bond himself, more "army versus army".

Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007)       Moore Than (2012 - 2016)

70

Re: Pros and Cons: Goldeneye

Moore Than wrote:

So much of it (and other forms of weaponry) is directed at Bond himself. Hence the comment that he was never more invincible.

So, you can't deal with the improbable ducking of large amounts of incoming ammo- I get it now! So, it's like, numerical... because he gets shot at quite a bit in some movies, but in TND it was just more than most, is that it? So if he gets shot at 40 or 50 times in a movie, that's okay, but a hundred or two kills it for you, right?
I could do a fan edit removing a considerable amount of the fire directed specifically at Brosnan right out of the film... ajb007/biggrin

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

71

Re: Pros and Cons: Goldeneye

chrisisall wrote:
Moore Than wrote:

So much of it (and other forms of weaponry) is directed at Bond himself. Hence the comment that he was never more invincible.

So, you can't deal with the improbable ducking of large amounts of incoming ammo- I get it now! So, it's like, numerical... because he gets shot at quite a bit in some movies, but in TND it was just more than most, is that it? So if he gets shot at 40 or 50 times in a movie, that's okay, but a hundred or two kills it for you, right?
I could do a fan edit removing a considerable amount of the fire directed specifically at Brosnan right out of the film... ajb007/biggrin

A fan edit will do very nicely.  ajb007/biggrin

Tomorrow Never Dies is one of my least favourite Bond films. Having said that, I certainly do not dislike it entirely, only certain elements of it. There remains plenty to enjoy. Examples, most of the Hamburg sequence, I already mentioned Dr. Kaufman and Admiral Roebuck in my original post, a pity their appearances were so brief. Also, David Arnold's score.

You obviously rank the film higher than me, I have absolutely no problem with that. Your opinion is as valid as mine. ajb007/martini

Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007)       Moore Than (2012 - 2016)

72

Re: Pros and Cons: Goldeneye

Moore Than wrote:

You obviously rank the film higher than me, I have absolutely no problem with that. Your opinion is as valid as mine. ajb007/martini

Thanks for being a really great sport with my poking. You are a Saint *cue theme*.
The one thing I love about the movie is when Bond says "We'll finish this together." It reminds me of Trevelyan's comment "...all the women you failed to protect." As if Bond meant "we'll both live or we'll both die here."
Okay, maybe not everyone see that in that way, but I do.
And for the record, yeah, there WAS a bit too much ballistic s**t going on, but hey- that was nineties action syndrome.  ajb007/cheers

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

73

Re: Pros and Cons: Goldeneye

Absolutely_Cart wrote:

But tnd lacked the story to support the action unlike the others

True. TND is a collection of noisy and totally unrealistic action scenes. No characters, no motivations, no plot moving the film forward... Just "Bond jumping off a building", "Bond riding on a bike under helicopter", "Bond jumping off a plane, then diving"...I can't remember why he did those things.

74

Re: Pros and Cons: Goldeneye

hehadlotsofguts wrote:

TND has a great story i think. Carver's scheme is a world domination one. It is done in a very clever way.

It doesn't come across. The story is weak, a mere excuse for the action sequences. It was never so obvious in a Bond film as in TND.

75

Re: Pros and Cons: Goldeneye

Virgil37 wrote:

It doesn't come across. The story is weak, a mere excuse for the action sequences. It was never so obvious in a Bond film as in TND.

Virgil, you don't have to be down on Brosnan's movies to be cool anymore; it's 2015. ajb007/biggrin

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT