1

Topic: Favorite Bond score in the 1960s ?

John Barry was significant to the Bond franchise with his wonderful scoring of the Bond films. I believe his best were in the 60s.
Top 3
1) OHMSS
2) TB
3) YOLT

Top 10 Bond Films
1. Thunderball 2. FRWL 3. Casino Royale 4. TLD 5. OHMSS 6. SkyFall 7. GF 8. TSWLM 9. GE 10. FYEO

2

Re: Favorite Bond score in the 1960s ?

The 60s scores:

1 - OHMSS
2 - YOLT
3 - TB
4 - GF
5 - FRWL
6 - DN

Hilly...you old devil!

3

Re: Favorite Bond score in the 1960s ?

DevilMayCare007 wrote:

I believe his best were in the 60s.

I don't believe all John Barry's best Bond scores were in the 60's. In my opinion, Moonraker is only bettered by his scores of You Only Live Twice and On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Tracks such as Corinne Put Down and Flight Into Space are amongst my absolute favourite's. I cannot make up my mind which one of YOLT or OHMSS is my favourite score, they are both so beautiful/epic.

Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007)       Moore Than (2012 - 2016)

4

Re: Favorite Bond score in the 1960s ?

My ranking goes as follows:

OHMSS
YOLT
GF
FRWL
TB
DN

It's very difficult to choose between them. The only easy choice is Dr. No being at the bottom. I love all of the John Barry ones.

5

Re: Favorite Bond score in the 1960s ?

No contest!

OHMSS (outstanding all round, easily the best score of the series)
TB (007, Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, the title theme and its instrumental version are iconic)
YOLT (wonderful and evocative, plus the awesome Capsule in Space)
GF (good all round but not quite his best)
FRWL (some interesting pieces but IMO he was style developing his Bond style)
DN (apart from his stellar work on the Bond theme, it remains weak)

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

6

Re: Favorite Bond score in the 1960s ?

OHMSS, naturally
TB or YOLT- love them both
GF
FRWL
DN (his work makes up for the rest)

Can I throw in an honourable mention to Burt Bacharach's CR67? Ok, the film stinks but the score is good!

7

Re: Favorite Bond score in the 1960s ?

Ohmss
Goldfinger
Yolt
But if diamonds are forever was made in the 60s it would be no 1

8

Re: Favorite Bond score in the 1960s ?

1) OHMSS (Best soundtrack if the whole series)
2) YOLT (Some real epic scores)
3) GF (Classic 60's style and theme)

"Any of the opposition around..?"

9

Re: Favorite Bond score in the 1960s ?

The Red Kind wrote:

1) OHMSS (Best soundtrack if the whole series)
2) YOLT (Some real epic scores)
3) GF (Classic 60's style and theme)

Agree 100%. ajb007/cheers

"Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."

10

Re: Favorite Bond score in the 1960s ?

Blackleiter wrote:
The Red Kind wrote:

1) OHMSS (Best soundtrack if the whole series)
2) YOLT (Some real epic scores)
3) GF (Classic 60's style and theme)

Agree 100%. ajb007/cheers

A man of exceptional taste ajb007/wink

"Any of the opposition around..?"

11

Re: Favorite Bond score in the 1960s ?

The Red Kind wrote:
Blackleiter wrote:
The Red Kind wrote:

1) OHMSS (Best soundtrack if the whole series)
2) YOLT (Some real epic scores)
3) GF (Classic 60's style and theme)

Agree 100%. ajb007/cheers

A man of exceptional taste ajb007/wink

But of course! ajb007/bond

"Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."

12

Re: Favorite Bond score in the 1960s ?

What, no love for TB? It has some of Barry's best work!

The title theme: I love this version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0YmcqcviEw

007: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j0DE8akL1c

The underwater music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SnUVLmTdlQ

and perhaps most of all
Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIeutRREg78

13

Re: Favorite Bond score in the 1960s ?

Barbel wrote:

What, no love for TB? It has some of Barry's best work!

The title theme: I love this version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0YmcqcviEw

007: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j0DE8akL1c

The underwater music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SnUVLmTdlQ

and perhaps most of all
Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIeutRREg78

Love TB too of course but just not in my top three. I confess that I often find myself humming Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. It's perfect in that scene.

Last edited by The Red Kind (20th Jan 2015 17:06)

"Any of the opposition around..?"

14

Re: Favorite Bond score in the 1960s ?

1) OHMSS
2) YOLT
3) Goldfinger

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".

15

Re: Favorite Bond score in the 1960s ?

Smithers500 wrote:

1) OHMSS
2) YOLT
3) Goldfinger


Great choice  ajb007/wink

"Any of the opposition around..?"

16

Re: Favorite Bond score in the 1960s ?

YOLT & GF rule! ajb007/martini

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

17

Re: Favorite Bond score in the 1960s ?

Charmed & Dangerous wrote:

No contest!

OHMSS (outstanding all round, easily the best score of the series)
TB (007, Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, the title theme and its instrumental version are iconic)
YOLT (wonderful and evocative, plus the awesome Capsule in Space)
GF (good all round but not quite his best)
FRWL (some interesting pieces but IMO he was style developing his Bond style)
DN (apart from his stellar work on the Bond theme, it remains weak)

I'll agree with all of the above, although I'm inclined to be kinder to Dr No: it was 1962 and Calypso was very 'in' at the time...

18

Re: Favorite Bond score in the 1960s ?

1. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
2. You Only Live Twice
3. Goldfinger
4. Thunderball
5. From Russia With Love
6. Dr. No

19

Re: Favorite Bond score in the 1960s ?

The scores got better as the 60s went on:
OHMSS
YOLT
TB
GF
FRWL
DN (far below the rest)

I think there was a big jump in Barry's music from GF to TB. It became a lot more complex. In GF it sounds like he's a jazz man writing a film score whilst in TB it sounds like he's a fully-fledged film score composer. I prefer some of Barry's scores from 70s and 80s to his scores in the 60s. Overall, I'd rank Barry's 11 scores (DN doesn't count) best to worst as follows:

TLD
MR
OP
DAF
OHMSS
YOLT
TB
AVTAK
GF
FRWL
TMWTGG

20

Re: Favorite Bond score in the 1960s ?

Matt S wrote:

I think there was a big jump in Barry's music from GF to TB. It became a lot more complex. In GF it sounds like he's a jazz man writing a film score whilst in TB it sounds like he's a fully-fledged film score composer.

Couldn't agree more. Good as GF is, the TB score lifts Barry's work to a whole new level. When I first saw TB on the big screen in the 60s the music sent my jaw to the floor, and with a little hyperbole it still does 50 years later.

21

Re: Favorite Bond score in the 1960s ?

There was definitely a progression from score to score as Barry developed as a composer. However, despite agreeing with Matt's argument about there being a big jump from GF to TB, I find that TB is my least favourite Barry score of the 1960s. There are some wonderful cues and themes, but for listening pleasure it doesn't compete with the others. I like the smaller sound and subtleties of the FRWL score, GF has a lovely jazzy feel, YOLT's sweeping romantic sound is stunningly beautiful, and the fusion of synthesiser into OHMSS makes it stand apart. At times, TB is just too loud and bombastic for me.

22

Re: Favorite Bond score in the 1960s ?

1) OHMSS
2) TB
3) Goldfinger/YOLT

I love that theme that Barry wrote and I think it's first used in the gypsy camp firefight in FRWL, later being repeated in part of the underwater battle in TB between Largo and Bond. 

I wish they would revisit some of these early films and re-use certain themes albeit in an up to date way in Spectre.  The one in DAF during the moon buggy escape is also fantastic imo.

FRWl, OHMSS, CR, TSWLM, GF, SF, TLD,  LTK, TND, DN, FYEO, OP,TWINE, GE, LALD, TMWTGG, QOS, SPECTRE, YOLT, TB, MR, DAF, DAD, AVTAK.

"Do you expect me to talk?  "No Mister Bond I expect you to die"

23

Re: Favorite Bond score in the 1960s ?

UnderwaterBattle007 wrote:

I love that theme that Barry wrote and I think it's first used in the gypsy camp firefight in FRWL, later being repeated in part of the underwater battle in TB between Largo and Bond.

It's called simply "007" and also appears in YOLT (Little Nellie scene), DAF (oil rig battle) and MR (boat chase).

24

Re: Favorite Bond score in the 1960s ?

Barbel wrote:
UnderwaterBattle007 wrote:

I love that theme that Barry wrote and I think it's first used in the gypsy camp firefight in FRWL, later being repeated in part of the underwater battle in TB between Largo and Bond.

It's called simply "007" and also appears in YOLT (Little Nellie scene), DAF (oil rig battle) and MR (boat chase).

And it sort of grows on you.  I used to think it a cheesy wannabe western theme.  Now I love it.

25

Re: Favorite Bond score in the 1960s ?

I remember reading ( probably from Barbel) that Barry would sometimes use it
when pressed for time writing a new score.  Although I think it's a wonderful
Piece of music.  ajb007/martini  it's amazing how it can help an action sequence.

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”