51

Re: Pros and Cons: The World Is Not Enough

of course Denise Richards walked around in Lara Croft style - or do you consider an overall (more suitable?) sexy?

"You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"

52

Re: Pros and Cons: The World Is Not Enough

TWINE does suffer from "insert action here" and it was something I was always concious of - it made me find the ski and underground scenes boring.

However, on recent viewings I've come to enjoy the caviar and underground scenes in particular. They're not perfect, but that's what makes them interesting - sometimes Bond's action scenes and escapes can be a little too perfect.

1. TWINE  2. FYEO  3. MR  4. TLD  5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS  7. DN  8. OP  9. AVTAK  10. TMWTGG  11. QoS 12. GE  13. CR  14. TB  15. FRWL  16. LTK  17. GF  18. SF  19. LaLD  20. YOLT  21. TND  22. DAD  23. DAF.

"If you'll forgive me, that's a little too scented for my palate."

53

Re: Pros and Cons: The World Is Not Enough

HatThrowingHenchman wrote:

of course Denise Richards walked around in Lara Croft style - or do you consider an overall (more suitable?) sexy?

I'm not complaining really, I think Richards does a decent-enough job and is of course very hot in her tomb raider outfit.  However, I do understand how this would make it difficult to take her seriously, especially with the boob job.

Personally, I find it more amusing than anything else, and am not bothered by it in the least.  I'm better at suspending disbelief than most, and I'm also a fan of Richards from other movies like Wild Things and Starship Troopers.  She may not be a great actress, but she isn't awful and is definitely nice to look at.

1.TSWLM 2.LTK 3.YOLT 4.OHMSS 5.TWINE 6.LALD 7.MR 8.GE 9.DN 10.FRWL
Bond: Pierce Brosnan  Villain: Hugo Drax  Girl: Pam Bouvier

54

Re: Pros and Cons: The World Is Not Enough

Diabolik wrote:
HatThrowingHenchman wrote:

of course Denise Richards walked around in Lara Croft style - or do you consider an overall (more suitable?) sexy?

I'm not complaining really, I think Richards does a decent-enough job and is of course very hot in her tomb raider outfit.  However, I do understand how this would make it difficult to take her seriously, especially with the boob job.

Personally, I find it more amusing than anything else, and am not bothered by it in the least.  I'm better at suspending disbelief than most, and I'm also a fan of Richards from other movies like Wild Things and Starship Troopers.  She may not be a great actress, but she isn't awful and is definitely nice to look at.

It's not the way she dresses that makes it hard for me to take seriously. It's the character's teenager-like personality and attitudes.

55

Re: Pros and Cons: The World Is Not Enough

Matt S wrote:

It's not the way she dresses that makes it hard for me to take seriously. It's the character's teenager-like personality and attitudes.

Eh, I think that’s more the way Richards plays it than how it’s written.  The character is supposed to be “feisty” but with her limited acting abilities it can understandably come off as just plain childish.

1.TSWLM 2.LTK 3.YOLT 4.OHMSS 5.TWINE 6.LALD 7.MR 8.GE 9.DN 10.FRWL
Bond: Pierce Brosnan  Villain: Hugo Drax  Girl: Pam Bouvier

56

Re: Pros and Cons: The World Is Not Enough

Diabolik wrote:
Matt S wrote:

It's not the way she dresses that makes it hard for me to take seriously. It's the character's teenager-like personality and attitudes.

Eh, I think that’s more the way Richards plays it than how it’s written.  The character is supposed to be “feisty” but with her limited acting abilities it can understandably come off as just plain childish.

It's mostly her portrayal, but a lot of it are the things she says, like "I gotta get it back, or someone's gonna have my ass."

57

Re: Pros and Cons: The World Is Not Enough

Matt S wrote:

It's the character's teenager-like personality and attitudes.

I disagree. I'm using the absurdity of her character here to defend my argument - what teenager would be a nuclear physicist??  ajb007/tongue

But seriously, I don't see any dialogue or demeanour references to demonstrate your point. If anything, Denise Richards just has limited ability to act in any way that makes her seem like a highly intelligent being. She's just there for eye candy.

If anything I think she delivers her lines fine -

"The world's greatest terrorist running around with six kilos of weapons-grade plutonium can't be good. I gotta get it back, or someone's gonna have my ass."

"First things first."

1. TWINE  2. FYEO  3. MR  4. TLD  5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS  7. DN  8. OP  9. AVTAK  10. TMWTGG  11. QoS 12. GE  13. CR  14. TB  15. FRWL  16. LTK  17. GF  18. SF  19. LaLD  20. YOLT  21. TND  22. DAD  23. DAF.

"If you'll forgive me, that's a little too scented for my palate."

58

Re: Pros and Cons: The World Is Not Enough

She's gorgeous. Any words coming out her mouth are okay with me.
Halle Berry is another story.... ajb007/amazed

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

59

Re: Pros and Cons: The World Is Not Enough

chrisisall wrote:

She's gorgeous. Any words coming out her mouth are okay with me.
Halle Berry is another story.... ajb007/amazed

Agreed!! Jinx deserves far more abuse. But then again, it's DAD, so naturally...

1. TWINE  2. FYEO  3. MR  4. TLD  5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS  7. DN  8. OP  9. AVTAK  10. TMWTGG  11. QoS 12. GE  13. CR  14. TB  15. FRWL  16. LTK  17. GF  18. SF  19. LaLD  20. YOLT  21. TND  22. DAD  23. DAF.

"If you'll forgive me, that's a little too scented for my palate."

60

Re: Pros and Cons: The World Is Not Enough

That scene where Bond kills Electra is powerful stuff, considering how he'd become attracted to her in the first half of the movie and he ended up having sex with her.

You can tell in his face when she taunted him telling him that he wouldn't be able to kill her (and that he'd miss her) that he felt tense, probably doubting if he'd be able to kill her.

Then, once she did the opposite of what Bond told her to do (call off Renard), Bond coldly and brutally shot her, putting a sense of duty above whatever he may have felt for Elektra.

It's arguably the most memorable scene of the Brosnan Era.

"Hostile takeovers.  Shall we?"
New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
1. TLD  2. TND  3. GF  4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
Bond actors to be re-ranked later

61

Re: Pros and Cons: The World Is Not Enough

Agent Purple wrote:

It's arguably the most memorable scene of the Brosnan Era.

Yes!

1. TWINE  2. FYEO  3. MR  4. TLD  5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS  7. DN  8. OP  9. AVTAK  10. TMWTGG  11. QoS 12. GE  13. CR  14. TB  15. FRWL  16. LTK  17. GF  18. SF  19. LaLD  20. YOLT  21. TND  22. DAD  23. DAF.

"If you'll forgive me, that's a little too scented for my palate."

62

Re: Pros and Cons: The World Is Not Enough

heartbroken_mr_drax wrote:
chrisisall wrote:

She's gorgeous. Any words coming out her mouth are okay with me.
Halle Berry is another story.... ajb007/amazed

Agreed!! Jinx deserves far more abuse. But then again, it's DAD, so naturally...

Halle Berry is the worst Bond girl ever! Her acting was terrible. Infact she makes Denise Richards seem like Meryl Streep.  ajb007/biggrin

1.ohmss  2.cr  3.frwl  4.ltk  5.gf  6.tswlm  7.sf  8.op  9.tld  10.dn  11.lald  12.tb  13.fyeo  14.ge  15.mr  16.yolt  17.tnd  18.avtak  19.sp  20.twine  21.qos  22.tmwtgg  23.daf  24.dad

63

Re: Pros and Cons: The World Is Not Enough

The Wicker Man wrote:

Halle Berry is the worst Bond girl ever! Her acting was terrible. Infact she makes Denise Richards seem like Meryl Streep.  ajb007/biggrin

Denise Richards approves of this post. ajb007/martini

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

64

Re: Pros and Cons: The World Is Not Enough

chrisisall wrote:
The Wicker Man wrote:

Halle Berry is the worst Bond girl ever! Her acting was terrible. Infact she makes Denise Richards seem like Meryl Streep.  ajb007/biggrin

Denise Richards approves of this post. ajb007/martini

And I approve of Denise Richards.  ajb007/martini

1.ohmss  2.cr  3.frwl  4.ltk  5.gf  6.tswlm  7.sf  8.op  9.tld  10.dn  11.lald  12.tb  13.fyeo  14.ge  15.mr  16.yolt  17.tnd  18.avtak  19.sp  20.twine  21.qos  22.tmwtgg  23.daf  24.dad

65

Re: Pros and Cons: The World Is Not Enough

The Wicker Man wrote:
chrisisall wrote:
The Wicker Man wrote:

Halle Berry is the worst Bond girl ever! Her acting was terrible. Infact she makes Denise Richards seem like Meryl Streep.  ajb007/biggrin

Denise Richards approves of this post. ajb007/martini

And I approve of Denise Richards.  ajb007/martini

Then all is well. ajb007/smile

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

66

Re: Pros and Cons: The World Is Not Enough

"And how do you survive?"
"I take pleasure in great beauty."

"Hostile takeovers.  Shall we?"
New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
1. TLD  2. TND  3. GF  4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
Bond actors to be re-ranked later

67

Re: Pros and Cons: The World Is Not Enough

Opinions on Dr. Christmas Jones?

I quite like her, there are certainly other BGs I prefer to her, but I think she's a likeable BG.

Wait, this was already discussed.

Oh well...

Last edited by Agent Purple (12th Nov 2015 22:17)

"Hostile takeovers.  Shall we?"
New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
1. TLD  2. TND  3. GF  4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
Bond actors to be re-ranked later

68

Re: Pros and Cons: The World Is Not Enough

Agent Purple wrote:

Opinions on Dr. Christmas Jones?

I quite like her, there are certainly other BGs I prefer to her, but I think she's a likeable BG.

I think she's one of the least likeable!

69

Re: Pros and Cons: The World Is Not Enough

I like her quite a lot. I know it's hard to take her job seriously - but she's so hot  ajb007/heart

1. TWINE  2. FYEO  3. MR  4. TLD  5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS  7. DN  8. OP  9. AVTAK  10. TMWTGG  11. QoS 12. GE  13. CR  14. TB  15. FRWL  16. LTK  17. GF  18. SF  19. LaLD  20. YOLT  21. TND  22. DAD  23. DAF.

"If you'll forgive me, that's a little too scented for my palate."

70

Re: Pros and Cons: The World Is Not Enough

heartbroken_mr_drax wrote:

I like her quite a lot. I know it's hard to take her job seriously - but she's so hot  ajb007/heart

She's very attractive for sure.

"Hostile takeovers.  Shall we?"
New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
1. TLD  2. TND  3. GF  4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
Bond actors to be re-ranked later

71

Re: Pros and Cons: The World Is Not Enough

I've said it elsewhere but if someone as basically stupid as Ben Carson can be a neurosurgeon, then someone as basically gorgeous as Christmas Jones can be a nuclear physicist. ajb007/lol

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

72

Re: Pros and Cons: The World Is Not Enough

Revisted TWINE after a long time. This appears to be Brosnan's best performances till that point. He looks settled in the role. The PTS kicks off the film nicely. Background score is good too. Marceau does the job.

The film has some good moments but overall feels unexciting compared to many of the other Bond films .... Both the film and Dr. Christmas Jones are strong contenders for the title of the worst Bond film and the worst BG respectively

Last edited by am747 (20th Nov 2015 00:27)

73

Re: Pros and Cons: The World Is Not Enough

am747 wrote:

Revisted TWINE after a long time. This appears to be Brosnan's best performances till that point. He looks settled in the role. The PTS kicks off the film nicely. Background score is good too. Marceau does the job.

The film has some good moments but overall feels unexciting compared to many of the other Bond films .... Both the film and Dr. Christmas Jones are strong contenders for the title of the worst Bond film and the worst BG respectively

I think the film is quite different because it almost plays out more like a drama than an action thriller. The action is sort of "Inserted Here" as the case with many of the Brosnan films - for me, TWINE's psychological battles eventually won by Bond make this one of the best for me.

You're right, Pierce is very comfortable in this and IMO it's his best performance.

The World Is Not Enough is the Bond family motto though - and I think it ties in nicely with the oil plot line.

1. TWINE  2. FYEO  3. MR  4. TLD  5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS  7. DN  8. OP  9. AVTAK  10. TMWTGG  11. QoS 12. GE  13. CR  14. TB  15. FRWL  16. LTK  17. GF  18. SF  19. LaLD  20. YOLT  21. TND  22. DAD  23. DAF.

"If you'll forgive me, that's a little too scented for my palate."

74

Re: Pros and Cons: The World Is Not Enough

am747 is a hardcore old-schooler  ajb007/bond .

It's plausible to understand his dislike of TWINE.

I love it though, although I can't deny that I'm a Brosnan fanboy.

We all have our biases.

Sophie Marceu is my main issue with the movie.  I'm not a big fan of Elektra.

"Hostile takeovers.  Shall we?"
New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
1. TLD  2. TND  3. GF  4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
Bond actors to be re-ranked later

75

Re: Pros and Cons: The World Is Not Enough

Pros

  • One of the series' best PTS

  • The darker, more realistic approach to the story

  • Brosnan's darker, more emotional performance as Bond

  • The M as prisoner scenes

  • Sophie Marceu's portrayal of Elektra

  • Elektra King as a fake-ally enemy and how she uses Bond against himself.

  • Desmond Llewellyn's send off as Q

Cons

  • The script seems schizophrenic, leaping from drama to action with little reasoning.

  • Too much mundane action.

  • Denise Richards, although visually appealing, is unbelievable as a nuclear physicist.

  • Robert Carlyle is criminally underused

  • The character of Renard is not very threatening or believable

  • The schizophrenic pace, which makes the story harder to understand

  • Bland locations

Overall, although I want to like the film, I find it very off-putting because of it's schizophrenic pace. Does it want to be an action film or a drama? I would be happy with either, but it doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. I would have liked them to have spent more time on it or included the extra 30 minutes that was cut because test audiences declared it "too long". I think the extra running time would have made it a much better, more cohesive film. I hope the extra 30 minutes will resurface on a Bluray release some day.

1. CR 2 OHMSS 3. TSWLM 4. TLD 5. SF 6. FRwL
7. GE 8. FYEO 9. LtK 10. TMwtGG 11. AVtaK 12.OP
13. DN 14. GF 15. TND 16. SP 17. TB 18. TWiNE
19. MR 20. YOLT 21. LaLD 22. QoS 23. DAD 24. DAF