Re: Pros and Cons: The Man with the Golden Gun

Anyone here NOT have the Blu Ray of this? If so you NEED to see it that way; all DVD versions suck by comparison IMO. ajb007/martini

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

Even on VHS no Bond film sucks!  ajb007/lol

1. TWINE  2. FYEO  3. MR  4. TLD  5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS  7. DN  8. OP  9. AVTAK  10. TMWTGG  11. QoS 12. GE  13. CR  14. TB  15. FRWL  16. LTK  17. GF  18. SF  19. LaLD  20. YOLT  21. TND  22. DAD  23. DAF.

"If you'll forgive me, that's a little too scented for my palate."

heartbroken_mr_drax wrote:

Even on VHS no Bond film sucks!  ajb007/lol

You know what I mean. ajb007/rolleyes  ajb007/biggrin

My DVD is going to have to suffice for the forseeable future  ajb007/wink

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

Loeffelholz wrote:

My DVD is going to have to suffice for the forseeable future  ajb007/wink

You are not a fan of this one- I can tell. ajb007/lol

I re-watched this last night, I've got quite a bit of nostalgia for this film and it does have some standout scenes - but this film is definitely slipping in my rankings.

Overall some things are just too stupid and cartoonish in this film:

- Goodnight is too frustrating and a waste of time - to me this is probably the worst film for it's treatment of woman - physically too.
- Basically the whole section from the Grisly Land until Scaramanga's Island is boring and very "B" movie.
- PTS is weak and a dull set-up. Would be better if it was the whole Bill Fairbanks/Saida in Beirut.

1. TWINE  2. FYEO  3. MR  4. TLD  5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS  7. DN  8. OP  9. AVTAK  10. TMWTGG  11. QoS 12. GE  13. CR  14. TB  15. FRWL  16. LTK  17. GF  18. SF  19. LaLD  20. YOLT  21. TND  22. DAD  23. DAF.

Remember watching this one over the holidays....

Having seen it just once, my initial neutral thought of this film was:

What if Tim Burton made a Bond movie in the Roger Moore era?

Yes. Consssssiderably.

armenianmovieman wrote:

Heh, that's pretty funny. And not altogether inaccurate...

armenianmovieman wrote:

haha good point.  That's one of the reasons I enjoy TMWTGG so much is it has that quirky, weird style. I'm glad that not all Bond movies are straight-forward action movies like LTK or TND.

"Please don't try to follow me"

1. GE 2. MR 3. TSWLM 4. GF 5. DN 6. TND 7. TMWTGG 8. OP 9. TWINE 10. AVTAK

It is a cute idea.  ajb007/smile

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

Goodnight is too frustrating and a waste of time - to me this is probably the worst film for it's treatment of woman - physically too.

One of the reasons my girlfriend has never seen this film. 

I personally don't mind it when I'm watching it alone and in a sexist mood.  ajb007/lol

Firemass wrote:
armenianmovieman wrote:

haha good point.  That's one of the reasons I enjoy TMWTGG so much is it has that quirky, weird style. I'm glad that not all Bond movies are straight-forward action movies like LTK or TND.

Good point

It's my main Bond guilty pleasure. And my most watched Moore flick.

TMWTGG is a very easy watch, because it's short, fun and has some excellent scenes. I watch it often too.

So as my Bond marathon continues, last night I watched MWTGG.

As others have said this film came out in 1974 just a single year after LALD.  I had just started my apprenticeship so this was the first Bond film I saw as a young adult.  Once again as is the case with certainly the early 1970's Bond movies, life in the UK was one of strife and struggle with constant strikes, high unemployement and maybe an odd powercut here and there. 

In the cinema in 1974 Bond was competing with the new Bruce Lee driven Kung Fu craze.  Enter The Dragon, Fists Of Fury, The Big Boss and The way Of The Dragon were all films I also saw in 1974.  Other notable film releases that year were Towering Inferno, Earthquake, Blazzing Saddles and The Godfather Part 2.

Some of the scenes in MWTGG are stolen directly from the 1973 Enter The Dragon film.  The mirrors in the funhouse for example and even the contest at the Kung Fu school, these all appear in Lee's ETD.

I actually really enjoyed watching this and it was a lot better than I had remembered.  Some of the stunts are fantastic the "Knight Rider" turn in the car chase, and the car turning 360 degrees jump, awesome stuff.  I hate the penny whistle or whatever it is that is played during this stunt, and I wish in a future release they could do a version where it's edited out.  That stunt would be far better with just silence imo.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I wish the producers would go back to the use of stuntmen when it comes to car chases etc instead of ex formula One racing drivers, for some reason imo they produce better results.

Christopher Lee plays a good part and is convincing as Scaramanger.  Lets not forget he was still portraying Dracula at that time with 5 Dracula films being released from 1970 to 1976.  So I felt some people would find it strange to see him playing a different role.

I feel the film moves on at a reasonable pace.  Miss Goodnight (Bonds Secretary in the novels) is just there for no other reason but provide "eye candy".

The finale with the destruction of Sacamangas base I think is done really well bearing in mind it was all minature camera work.  I wish they would go back to minatures especially when some of the CGI in some of the later movies is well "shoddy" to say the least.

Once again Roger Moores Bond is totally different to Connery's.  The slapping about of the girl just didn't sit right for me.  If Connery had been Bond then that wouldbe different.     

Overall though at the end of the film I felt a nice and warm glow inside, I had actually thoroughly enjoyed the film.  Not the best Bond (some of the best stunts though) and I would sit this at number 13 directly behind LALD in my ranking charts.

FRWl, OHMSS, CR, TSWLM, GF, SF, TLD,  LTK, TND, DN, FYEO, OP,TWINE, GE, LALD, TMWTGG, QOS, SPECTRE, YOLT, TB, MR, DAF, DAD, AVTAK.

"Do you expect me to talk?  "No Mister Bond I expect you to die"

UnderwaterBattle007 wrote:

Miss Goodnight (Bonds Secretary in the novels) is just there for no other reason but provide "eye candy".

Not true…almost all the action in the second half of the film is driven by Mary Goodnite.
Think who forced Bond to follow Scaramanga to his island? MG (by getting herself locked in the truck WITH the solex)
Think who blew up Scaramanga's base? MG (Knocked the guard into the vat)
Think who almost got Bond cooked by the laser? MG (bumped the controls with her butt)

Without Mary Goodnite to stir things up it would have been a very uneventful film.

^ I am never sure if you're being sarcastic or not! Yes she progresses the film along by doing stupid things and being the butt of all jokes - that's not any better than just being eye candy IMO.

And as eye candy, she works absolutely gorgeous for me!  ajb007/heart  ajb007/heart  ajb007/heart

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

^ I am never sure if you're being sarcastic or not! Yes she progresses the film along by doing stupid things and being the butt of all jokes - that's not any better than just being eye candy IMO.

The point is that without her, the story would have been different. If she were purely eye candy she would just be for looks and have no effect at all on what Bond does.

I think it's actually worse than just being eye candy.  ajb007/lol

She does look great in a bikini. All is forgiven.

Just finished rewatching it for the 6th time, and I think I'm finally coming around to it:

Pros:
- Nick Nack is gleefully evil and omnipresent, one almost thinks he's the real villain and Scaramanga is his unwitting henchman
- The PTS and last-to-final act match in a great way, and there's some real tension in both parts
- I love Sheriff Pepper, he's a hoot
- Britt Ekland in that bikini, *dabs forehead with handkerchief*
- the Queen Elizabeth, easily the coolest "field office" in the series

Cons:
- Tone is very inconsistent, serious one moment and absurdly ridiculous the next
- Roger Moore is not playing to his strengths, it seems like he's trying to channel Sean Connery in the worst way
- boring stretches in the middle, makes me rub my temples waiting for the scene to end

All in all I quite liked it, and this is one I used to hate

Last edited by Diabolik (4th Feb 2017 15:39)

1.TSWLM 2.LTK 3.YOLT 4.OHMSS 5.TWINE 6.LALD 7.MR 8.GE 9.DN 10.FRWL
Bond: Pierce Brosnan  Villain: Hugo Drax  Girl: Pam Bouvier

This is one of my favorites ever. I get why so many dislike it, the world's best assassin who wants to a go Bond for his masterpiece, gets sucked into a real life problem with the energy stuff of the 1970s, I wasn't alive then so I have no clue what this is talking about.

Since this is here I won't make a new thread for a question of this movie.

Early on in the mission Bond goes to find the bullet used to kill 002, in the woman's navel. Why did those guys attack Bond? Did they work for Scaramanga or were they simply bouncers for the club?

1, GE 2, CR 3, SF 4, TWINE 5, Spectre 6, TMWTGG 7, DAD 8, LALD 9, AVTAK 10, LTK 11, Octopussy 12, Moonraker 13, TLD 14, GF 15, QOS 16, Tomorrow 17, FYEO 18. TSWLM Not seen much: Dr. No, Russia, Thunderball, Twice, Majesty.

1: Brosnan 2: Craig 3: Moore 4: Dalton 5: Connery and 6: Lazenby

I think the owner of the club was jealous  of Bond moving in on
his girl. So with the help of a couple  of his men he went round
to give Bond a good kicking.
That's how I've always seen it, anyway.  ajb007/smile

GoldenEye85 wrote:

Early on in the mission Bond goes to find the bullet used to kill 002, in the woman's navel. Why did those guys attack Bond? Did they work for Scaramanga or were they simply bouncers for the club?

Been wondering that myself. Same goes for the thugs in OHMSS pre-title sequence.
Trouble just seems to follow Bond...

The Thugs in OHMSS are Draco's men, keeping an eye on her