Re: Pros and Cons: Tomorrow Never Dies

chrisisall wrote:

I loved GE, but when TND came out I was THRILLED with all the Barry-esque beauty!

It makes a huge difference for me too! But the music isn't just ripping off Barry, for better or worse. it has enough classic Bond sound for both GE and TND!

Matt S wrote:
chrisisall wrote:

I loved GE, but when TND came out I was THRILLED with all the Barry-esque beauty!

It makes a huge difference for me too! But the music isn't just ripping off Barry, for better or worse. it has enough classic Bond sound for both GE and TND!

A personal favourite of mine would be the printing-press escape and the arrival to his hotel room.

a reasonable rate of return

It was the last purely "fun" Bond film, as in Bond films weren't becoming obsessed with looking inward and psychological even though there are hints of it in TND's.

@ddspike21

I love the overwhelming familiarity of the Roger Moore era in TND.  With the exception of LALD, I can see references from the other 6 RM films.

TMWTGG:  Sailing in Thailand. There is a shot in TND that looks almost identical to the closing scene of GG.  The thugs giving Brosnan a beatdown also reminds me of the fight scene in dancer's dressing room. "I've lost my charm!"

TSWLM:  Bond in Naval uniform. Military themed stuff in general. On board the stealth boat is pretty similar to the tanker.

MR:  Bond & Girl sliding down Carver banner reminds me of Bond & Girl sliding down the cable car with the chain.
The scene with Bond testing Wai Lin's gadgets and weapons is almost a carbon copy of Bond with Holly. "Standard CIA equipment."
The stealth ship is like Drax's space station. Once they disable the cloaking system it appears on radar and can thus be destroyed by the military.

FYEO:  Diving in the Devonshire and surfacing to find their boat has suffered a hostile takeover.

OP:  Similar PTS. Bond flying, missile coming….

AVTAK: Meeting the villain at his party and baiting him with conversation.  Roger did the sport fishing bit and Pierce did the "I'd be lost at sea..adrift." about writing a novel.

Check my instagram problemeliminator for 007 related posts

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK

Only criticism after rewatch is that Bond blows his cover too early when speaking with Carver at the party, otherwise I really enjoyed and give it a 10/10.

Note: I had an issue with my Blu-ray copy for this film as well, but bought a digital copy to replace it.

"Hostile takeovers.  Shall we?"
New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
1. TLD  2. TND  3. GF  4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
Bond actors to be re-ranked later