51

Re: Pros and Cons: License to Kill

Cons:
It doesn't have Daniel Craig or Sean Connery (or, for that matter, George Lazenby)

Pros:
Felix Leiter disagrees with something that ate him (how I've waited for that scene!)
Q has his finest moment
Anthony Zerbe goes POP!

52

Re: Pros and Cons: License to Kill

The Novelisation by J Gardner is also very good  ajb007/martini

1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

53

Re: Pros and Cons: License to Kill

chrisisall wrote:

DUDES! This new member popped up at the MI6 site with loads of behind the scenes pictures from Licence To Kill (he was an extra in the Florida scenes), check it out:
http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p … st-1988/p1

I've just revisited this old thread.
Doesn't Dalton look a bit like Brosnan with bad clothing in this shot?

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8685/16795216190_f8b371f22a_o.jpg

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

54

Re: Pros and Cons: License to Kill

Licence To Kill is so 80s it hurts. Our hero is a renegade that is forced to "turn in his badge", the bad guy is a South American drug lord named Sanchez, and Bond feeds some dude to sharks. Bond basically becomes a badass cop from Miami Vice.

The only negatives were the two Bond girls, and the fact that the theme song wasn't 80s synth pop like The Living Daylights.

I love this movie.

55

Re: Pros and Cons: License to Kill

Best underwater scenes of the entire series.

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

56

Re: Pros and Cons: License to Kill

Really??

I found them pretty cheap-looking compared to what we get in TSWLM FYEO and TB
These Subs looked pathetic and shameful, too.

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

57

Re: Pros and Cons: License to Kill

Higgins wrote:

Really??

Yes really.

I found them pretty cheap-looking compared to what we get in TSWLM FYEO and TB
These Subs looked pathetic and shameful, too.

LTK's underwater scenes were not ridiculously staged, poorly paced, or bloated.  ajb007/martini

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

58

Re: Pros and Cons: License to Kill

chrisisall wrote:

LTK's underwater scenes were not ridiculously staged, poorly paced, or bloated.  ajb007/martini

You may be the only one with that opinion.I find LTK's particularly poorly paced and plain boring!
I disagree with the first 2 at least - can't find any "bloating" in the others....

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

59

Re: Pros and Cons: License to Kill

I have to agree with Higgins here ( although not that LTK's underwater
sequences looked cheap) TB, TSWLM and FYEO had fantastic underwater
Scenes, TB being a movie epic !  ajb007/martini

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

60

Re: Pros and Cons: License to Kill

Higgins wrote:

You may be the only one with that opinion.

I'm not. I've heard this opinion voiced by others. Admittedly they were not members of the Misty-Eyed Club...
ajb007/lol

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

61

Re: Pros and Cons: License to Kill

Thunderpussy wrote:

TB, TSWLM and FYEO had fantastic underwater
Scenes, TB being a movie epic !  ajb007/martini

TB was epic, but endless in the underwater department; LTK was short & sweet.
TSWLM was a bit OTT: LTK was thoroughly believable.
FYEO had an extremely slow pace & REALLY phony bubbles; LTK was fast & real.

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

62

Re: Pros and Cons: License to Kill

LTK I think did feel a bit generic in the first 30 minutes but after that it paced very well.

63

Re: Pros and Cons: License to Kill

Absolutely_Cart wrote:

LTK I think did feel a bit generic in the first 30 minutes but after that it paced very well.

How is it generic, and what does being generic have to do with pacing?

64

Re: Pros and Cons: License to Kill

Well, it felt like a typical DEA raid action movie at first.  I mean the pacing wasn't as bad as watching Moore Freddie Uncle Charlie Katie around with horses for 50 minutes in AVTAK, but when it came to Dalton being a straight-up spy and assassin for the 2nd half of the movie, that's where I totally lose track of time watching it.

65

Re: Pros and Cons: License to Kill

It makes sense they'd have a ninja scene , it was the 80s ninja boom ajb007/wink

I liked Newton and they prolly needed him to lighten the mood a bit....unlike say JW Pepper who wasn't really needed in TMWTGG  ajb007/rolleyes

Cons : the first generic photoshop movie poster.......

66

Re: Pros and Cons: License to Kill

The first Underwater Scene leads to one of the best Stunts in the Film  ajb007/martini

1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

67

Re: Pros and Cons: License to Kill

Smithers500 wrote:

Cons;

Lupe and her love for James
Della and her lust for James - she fancies him more than Leiter!

Wedding party music and dad-dancing by the pool
Dirty love music and the corny bar room brawl
"Things were about to turn Nast-ay"
End title music
Winking fish, yes I said winking!

Pros;

Everything else especially Sanchez

Can you blame her? Leiter is ancient!

68

Re: Pros and Cons: License to Kill

Many a good tune played on an old fiddle.  ajb007/wink

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

69

Re: Pros and Cons: License to Kill

ajb007/lol

1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

70

Re: Pros and Cons: License to Kill

Just watched now...
There are two things that make this movie my 2nd choice for favourite Bond movie behind TLD.
First: I generally love Michael Kamen's work, but here he delivers a generic 'Kamen' score with rather bland Bond flourishes.
Second: I don't know if it was the DOP, or the fact that most of it was in daylight, or if it was the smaller budget, but it looks a bit less textured than the previous entry.
That said, it was pretty awesome, again. I never tire of this flick. Mainly because of Dalton.
9/10

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

71

Re: Pros and Cons: License to Kill

This is another film that has steadily moved up in my estimation over the years. Its in my top 5. I do tend to enjoy watching the films that show a darker side to Bond's character. Yes the film is so 1980's it should age badly, but overall it hasn't aged badly for me. Yes it's basically just a simple revenge story but it's a simple revenge story that is well plotted and you care about, helped by a great cast (mostly) and exciting stunts leading up to a fantastic conclusion. But for me the main reason I rate it so highly is Timothy Dalton. For me the second greatest Bond behind Connery. But if Dalton had the chance to do 4 or 5 Bond films he would probably be number 1 (sorry Higgins).  ajb007/martini

1.ohmss  2.cr  3.frwl  4.ltk  5.gf  6.tswlm  7.sf  8.op  9.tld  10.dn  11.lald  12.tb  13.fyeo  14.ge  15.mr  16.yolt  17.tnd  18.avtak  19.sp  20.twine  21.qos  22.tmwtgg  23.daf  24.dad

72

Re: Pros and Cons: License to Kill

I like that the plot doesn't feel too convoluted; it's a clear revenge plot.

73

Re: Pros and Cons: License to Kill

"Don't you want to know why-?"

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

74

Re: Pros and Cons: License to Kill

'Watch the Birdie you Bastard!'

1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

75

Re: Pros and Cons: License to Kill

chrisisall wrote:

Just watched now...
There are two things that make this movie my 2nd choice for favourite Bond movie behind TLD.
First: I generally love Michael Kamen's work, but here he delivers a generic 'Kamen' score with rather bland Bond flourishes.
Second: I don't know if it was the DOP, or the fact that most of it was in daylight, or if it was the smaller budget, but it looks a bit less textured than the previous entry.
That said, it was pretty awesome, again. I never tire of this flick. Mainly because of Dalton.
9/10

I loved that it had a smaller budget, it was like a throwback to dr.no and FRWL  ajb007/smile

"Never let them see you bleed."