Re: Pros and Cons: Goldfinger

On a more relevant note, I agree with the above comments.  Goldfinger was a benchmark film that influenced later films.  Also, the fact that Connery is pretty much a sitting duck for the second half of the film is quite funny.  I never noticed that till I rewatched it, but it works.  Connery stalled Goldfinger very well and it was probably better than actually taking him on by himself.

AlphaOmegaSin wrote:
Absolutely_Cart wrote:

Connery wasn't cool in the Diamonds Are Forever movie.

He was, however, cool in Goldfinger.

It's impossible for Connery not to be cool  ajb007/lol

Period! Drops the mike! Well done! ajb007/cheers

"Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."

Blackleiter wrote:
AlphaOmegaSin wrote:
Absolutely_Cart wrote:

Connery wasn't cool in the Diamonds Are Forever movie.

He was, however, cool in Goldfinger.

It's impossible for Connery not to be cool  ajb007/lol

Period! Drops the mike! Well done! ajb007/cheers

The *only* movie where Connery was not cool was...

...thinking....

Meteor.
And it wasn't so much that he wasn't cool as much as he wasn't really there. He was saying lines while he was mentally preparing for Cuba (a real movie, not just a quick laff to the bank). ajb007/biggrin

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

Absolutely_Cart wrote:

What about when he's fat, old, bloated, tired, can't act for crap, and is sleepwalking through a role that Eon paid $1.25 million of their hard earned money on?

I disagree completely.

(a) This is fat?
http://s11.postimg.cc/6ghpsehz3/bond_worst_of_connery_1.jpg
By what standards? (other than "younger Connery")

(b) 42 is old? He's younger than Moore, Dalton, Brosnan and 50% of Craig.

(c) Bloated- see "fat"

(d) As for tired, he gives a more energetic performance in DAF than he did in YOLT- and even there he glows with screen presence and charisma.

(e) "Can't act for crap"???  ajb007/rolleyes  He had a forty-year career as leading man, collecting an Oscar along the way, and turned down scripts that most actors would strangle their grandmother for. Repeatedly. And still does.

(f) "Sleepwalking"? See (d) above.

(g) Money? He more than justified his fee. A star actor is obliged to "open" a movie and Connery did just that. And as to Eon's "hard-earned money", how much of that would they have made without Sean Connery?

Barbel wrote:
Absolutely_Cart wrote:

What about when he's fat, old, bloated, tired, can't act for crap, and is sleepwalking through a role that Eon paid $1.25 million of their hard earned money on?

I disagree completely.

(a) This is fat?

(c) Bloated- see "fat"

(d) As for tired, he gives a more energetic performance in DAF than he did in YOLT- and even there he glows with screen presence and charisma.

(e) "Can't act for crap"???  ajb007/rolleyes  He had a forty-year career as leading man, collecting an Oscar along the way, and turned down scripts that most actors would strangle their grandmother for. Repeatedly. And still does.

(g) Money? He more than justified his fee. A star actor is obliged to "open" a movie and Connery did just that. And as to Eon's "hard-earned money", how much of that would they have made without Sean Connery?

Agreed on every single point. ajb007/cheers

Barbel wrote:
Absolutely_Cart wrote:

I disagree completely.

(a) This is fat?

(c) Bloated- see "fat"

It's all nonsense and he knows it. Just trying to get us all riled up, that's all!  ajb007/shifty ajb007/lol

"Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."

Blackleiter wrote:

It's all nonsense and he knows it. Just trying to get us all riled up, that's all!  ajb007/shifty ajb007/lol

Funny thing is, I saw DAF when I was 11, and I didn't think of that Bond as old or fat, just cool and Spider-man like (the Whyte House climb)!
ajb007/cool

Like I said, in all honesty, Connery is an excellent actor.  DN, FRWL and GF were all excellently done.  I can't say his performances in TB, YOLT and NSNA were quite excellent, but they were good enough.  DAF was an exception, of course, his lowest ebb.

And truth be told, it had little to due with his weight or how old he looked.  Moreso the fact that he demanded such a large sum, he gave a bad performance and didn't even care.  Brosnan in DAD and Moore in AVTAK didn't look perfect but they put their heart into it.

Last edited by Absolutely_Cart (7th Apr 2015 12:38)

Absolutely_Cart wrote:

I didn't mind Brosnan's pudge in DAD

LOL, WHAT??  ajb007/amazed  ajb007/lol
Dude, sure, he looked too well fed for being in a s**t hole slam for 14 months, but NO WAY was he FAT!!!

Based upon continued posted evidence I'd have to conclude that you have an unnatural weight fixation.

If you binge & purge or starve yourself to keep that 26" waistline from your early teens I would suggest you seek professional guidance through this time... ajb007/wink

Absolutely_Cart wrote:

Also, the fact that Connery is pretty much a sitting duck for the second half of the film is quite funny.

This used to bother me quite a bit, until I realized that Goldfinger is still plenty entertaining even without Bond.  The same could be said for Westley in the Princess Bride. The supporting cast is so strong in both films that it doesn't matter if the hero is taken out of commission.

"Please don't try to follow me"

1. GE 2. MR 3. TSWLM 4. DN 5. OP 6. TND 7. TMWTGG 8.GF  9. TWINE 10. AVTAK 11. TLD/LTK

Pros:

Too many to mention but:

PTS
Miami scene
Golf game
Alps scene
Fort Knox
Connery is fantastic, his best Bond performance I think
Aston Martin DB5 ajb007/smile

Con:

Why bother to tell all the hoods about operation grand slam at all? he just gassed them afterwards?

Just on the " Telling the plot" , I always regarded this as telling the audience
The plot, then killing the hoods to show what was in store for the poor population.  ajb007/wink

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

Barbel wrote:
Absolutely_Cart wrote:

I disagree completely.

(a) This is fat?

(c) Bloated- see "fat"

Agreed  ajb007/cheers

And on the Subject of Fat, I'm more fatter then Connery  ajb007/lol

1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

AlphaOmegaSin wrote:
Barbel wrote:
Absolutely_Cart wrote:

I disagree completely.

(a) This is fat?

(c) Bloated- see "fat"

Agreed  ajb007/cheers

And on the Subject of Fat, I'm more fatter then Connery  ajb007/lol

Stop bragging ajb007/lol  ajb007/martini

Compared to FRWL Connery is fatter and not as cool in GF. He then regains some cool, along with a tighter waistline and better toupee in TB but then really starts to let himself go in YOLT, I think he's wearing his Thunderball threads in the shipyard sequences and you can sure tell he's been at the haggis. As for DAF please! He's a right lard arse in that one. I thought the abseiling was damn brave.

Still a billion times better than the 90's spud munching version of Bond though.

O07 wrote:

Compared to FRWL Connery is fatter and not as cool in GF.

You clearly haven't seen GF in a long, long time. ajb007/lol

He then regains some cool, along with a tighter waistline and better toupee in TB but then really starts to let himself go in YOLT, I think he's wearing his Thunderball threads in the shipyard sequences and you can sure tell he's been at the haggis.

So, you joined this site to... what? Project your weight sensibilities onto Connery & Brosnan? ajb007/lol
Bored now. ajb007/biggrin

O07 wrote:

Connery's weight and coolness wasn't a problem at all in Goldfinger.

O07 wrote:

Compared to FRWL Connery is fatter and not as cool in GF. He then regains some cool, along with a tighter waistline and better toupee in TB but then really starts to let himself go in YOLT, I think he's wearing his Thunderball threads in the shipyard sequences and you can sure tell he's been at the haggis. As for DAF please! He's a right lard arse in that one. I thought the abseiling was damn brave.

Still a billion times better than the 90's spud munching version of Bond though.

I think that you and Absolutely_Cart will be good friends.

Connery is a bit heavier in DAF,  that's obvious but in no way is he fat. Brosnan
Fat in DAD, now that's something I've never noticed . Could someone point out a
scene, which shows his extra weight, as I can't remember any sequence with him
Looking fat ?  ajb007/rolleyes

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

O07 wrote:

Compared to FRWL Connery is fatter and not as cool in GF

I personally think Connery was at his "coolest" and looked his best in Goldfinger.

Absolutely_Cart wrote:
O07 wrote:

Otherwise Goldfinger would have said "No Mr Bond, I expect you to diet!"

Barbel wrote:
Absolutely_Cart wrote:
O07 wrote:

ajb007/lol

Knowing who to trust is Everything in this business.       

TIS  - "The moment you think you got it figured - you're wrong"

Barbel wrote:

ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

Barbel wrote:
Absolutely_Cart wrote:
O07 wrote:

I just got a good Laugh out of that   ajb007/lol

1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

Barbel wrote:
Absolutely_Cart wrote:
O07 wrote:

http://wiiuforums.com/attachments/wii-u-news-talk/5458d1407415385-dan-aldman-calls-wii-u-name-abysmal-ways-make-friends-laugh-hysterically-800x800.jpg