Re: Pros and Cons: Goldfinger

As far as GF keeping Bond alive, it was Bond who gave him the idea.  Had he offed him, he would have had MI6 and everyone else doing an official investigation and that would have pretty much killed off his operation because it was created on a strict time schedule.  Keeping Bond around and out of touch made it seem on the surface Bond was still investigated him.  It certainly worked when Leiter looked in on him.

As far as gassing the gangsters, I finally convinced myself that he decided to do it because Solo backed out and if one of them did, then none of them could be trusted, so he offed them to be certain as well as to make sure the gas worked effectively.

As far as the plot, it's obvious if you read the novels Fleming decided to just have fun with the plots after FRWL.  He killed Bond off at the end and had no plan to write another novel, but was convinced to bring him back, so he creates characters and plots like No and GF as a lark -  up until then his novels came across as serious spy stories, but these are obviously more in the cinematic realm of fantasy and he was just having fun creating them. Granted, MR may seem to some more cinema than reality, but keep in mind that at that time a German seeking revenge against England using a nuclear rocket was believable given the Nazis V2's and the fear of the A bomb. Russian spies and American gangsters were a reality, villains with secret islands that have an entire underground lair with a glass wall to the ocean or plans to rob Fort Knox were not.

Last edited by CmdrAtticus (8th Apr 2015 18:49)

CmdrAtticus wrote:

Russian spies and American gangsters were a reality, villains with secret islands that have an entire underground lair with a glass wall to the ocean or plans to rob Fort Knox were not.

That we KNOW of. ajb007/lol

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

I have a secret underground Lair Hideout that has Rivers of Cider flowing through it  ajb007/wink

Oh wait, I just gave it away  ajb007/frown

1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

Plenty of old missile silos come up for sale, so an underground lair
Is now within the reach of the average criminal these days, not just the
Super villain. One of the many benefits of being a " Home owner". An
Added bonus, is protection against Zombies !  Which Is one of the things
I always look for in a secret compound.  ajb007/biggrin

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

And it must have a Room that the Misses cant get into  ajb007/biggrin

1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

We all need a " Man cave"  ajb007/lol  so I can work in peace and contemplate the
Great questions of life.  " Why are we here",   " The meaning of life", and
" does an unseen hand control all life " ? .....  And to look at pictures of Girls
With no clothes on !  ajb007/lol

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

Connery didn't gain weight until YOLT , he looked pretty fit in GF.

CmdrAtticus wrote:

As far as GF keeping Bond alive, it was Bond who gave him the idea.  Had he offed him, he would have had MI6 and everyone else doing an official investigation and that would have pretty much killed off his operation because it was created on a strict time schedule.  Keeping Bond around and out of touch made it seem on the surface Bond was still investigated him.  It certainly worked when Leiter looked in on him.

This is true.  MI6 had suspicions about Goldfinger's activities before the investigation even began.  A few of the later Bond films seemed to use the "Talking Killer Syndrome" just because they could.

I suppose you could say that GF had the Advantage over MI6.

I watched it the other day and I found one scene quite funny which I never have before.

When Goldfinger starts to move the room around to show the hoods convention his plan.

They start saying stuff like "hey, what's with that trick pool table?" and "what's that map doing there?"

I don't know why but the comments just sounded really dumbass and made me laugh.

They sounded almost like exposition comments for something that the audience can clearly see.

GF has far more iconic scenes than any other Bond film.  In fact, for much of the movie, it's one iconic scene after another (iconic meaning: original, memorable, representative of the series and the Bond character, influential, much copied).

Gala Brand wrote:

GF has far more iconic scenes than any other Bond film.  In fact, for much of the movie, it's one iconic scene after another (iconic meaning: original, memorable, representative of the series and the Bond character, influential, much copied).

That's why the Film is commonly viewed as the one that set the Bond Formula.

Gala Brand wrote:

ajb007/martini

Guy Hamilton is not my favourite director of the series but he hit on something with this film that try as he might he could not replicate in his subsequent Bond films. Call it movie magic but everything seemed to come together to make a genuine classic.  ajb007/martini

1.ohmss  2.cr  3.frwl  4.ltk  5.gf  6.tswlm  7.sf  8.op  9.tld  10.dn  11.lald  12.tb  13.fyeo  14.ge  15.mr  16.yolt  17.tnd  18.avtak  19.sp  20.twine  21.qos  22.tmwtgg  23.daf  24.dad

Onto GOLDFINGER in my reviews:

Before tonight last seen about 12-18 months ago.

PROS:

PTS
Titles
Music
Jill Masterson
Aston Martin
Q Branch
Oddjob
Goldfinger
Oddjob crushing golf ball
Laser beam scene
Operation Grand Slam explained by Goldfinger
Pussy Galore
Oddjob fight
Goldfinger fight

Cons:

Poolside Miami hotel scenes an obvious set
Felix Leiter
Soldiers falling down with nerve gas dispersal
Bomb countdown
Modelwork of planes

Observations:

A lighter touch under Guy Hamilton's direction which is OK because it's not too comedic.

Conclusion:

This is always heralded by most professional reviewers as the best Bond of all but seeing it again it has gone downhill a bit in my estimation. there are several scenes that don't work well - the soldiers falling down far too quickly with the nerve gas - the countdown on the bomb is badly edited - Felix Leiter looks far too old and it is hard to see him and Bond being friends.

On the plus side both Goldfinger and Oddjob are brilliant villains and Pussy Galore is a good Bond girl. There are several good points - the PTS is great and the laser beam scene harks back to the tension of the Red Grant scene in FRWL where we feel real tension in Bond's dilemma. John Barry's score is excellent and the whole feel of the film is impressive.

Even so I was seriously debating placing this behind DN but the fact of Goldfinger and Oddjob being so good puts it marginally ahead of DN but behind FRWL.

CHB will return reviewing THUNDERBALL soon  ajb007/biggrin

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

^ I agree with many of your points.

Pros:

Everyone and everything in it up until the raid begins on Fort Knox. It's absolutely brilliant.

Cons:

The raid and climax. As CoolHandBond says, the way the guys fall down with the gassing is terrible. Bond should defuse the bomb, Auric GF shouldn't have been able to end up on that plane either.

I think this is Connery's best performance. He's having a really good time and he looks his best too.

Rog knows how to defuse a good bomb  ajb007/biggrin

1. TWINE  2. FYEO  3. MR  4. TLD  5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS  7. DN  8. OP  9. AVTAK  10. TMWTGG  11. QoS 12. GE  13. CR  14. TB  15. FRWL  16. LTK  17. GF  18. SF  19. LaLD  20. YOLT  21. TND  22. DAD  23. DAF.

"If you'll forgive me, that's a little too scented for my palate."

heartbroken_mr_drax wrote:

I think this is Connery's best performance. He's having a really good time and he looks his best too.

Personally I find DN/FRWL to be his best performance followed by TB.

2019 Bondathon...in progress (6) FRWL (7) GE (8) FYEO (9) TND (10) MR (11) GF (12) LALD (13) DAF (14) LTK (15) TMWTGG (16) TB (17) TSWLM (18) DAD (19) AVTAK (20) YOLT (21) QOS (22) SF (23) TWINE (24) SP

Pros:

-It feels like a Bond classic.
-Connery gives a great performance.
-Gert Frobe may be dubbed, but he still looks like a tough villain.
-Hamilton's directing is great.
-Solid dialogue.
-The fight scene between Bond and Oddjob is epic.
-The laser scene that made movie history.
-The plot is effective.
-Solid score.

Cons:
-I don't fully understand why the men at the meeting were gassed to death, although it's presumably because Goldfinger didn't intend to pay them.
-It was kinda foolish of Bond to sleep with Jill Masterson after talking to Goldfinger in the scene when he catches him cheating.  Did he really expect no repercussions for what he did?

All in all, I love GF, and give it a 10/10.

"Hostile takeovers.  Shall we?"

1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. OP 5. TSWLM 6. MR 7. TWINE 8. TMWTGG 9. OHMSS 10. FRWL 11. L&LD 12. SF 13. LtK 14. YOLT 15. DN 16. QoS 17. DAD 18. AVTAK 19. CR 20. TB 21. FYEO 22. DAF (SP to be included later; GE to be rewatched and re-ranked)
1) Brosnan 2) Dalton 3) Moore 4) Connery 5) Lazenby and Craig

Agent Purple wrote:

-It was kinda foolish of Bond to sleep with Jill Masterson after talking to Goldfinger in the scene when he catches him cheating.  Did he really expect no repercussions for what he did?

It's the first time that happens, so I can see why Bond didn't expect repercussions. Why would he think that would happen? When Bond sleeps with the bad girl Miss Taro in Dr. No, he's in complete control of that situation. With Andrea Anders, sure, he should have seen that one.

Interesting points, Matt.

On the Bassey song, I like it, but there are other Bond theme songs I prefer to it.

As far as Connery Era goes (EON films), I prefer "Thunderball" and "You Only Live Twice" to it, even if I prefer GF as a movie to TB and YOLT.

1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. OP 5. TSWLM 6. MR 7. TWINE 8. TMWTGG 9. OHMSS 10. FRWL 11. L&LD 12. SF 13. LtK 14. YOLT 15. DN 16. QoS 17. DAD 18. AVTAK 19. CR 20. TB 21. FYEO 22. DAF (SP to be included later; GE to be rewatched and re-ranked)

Agent Purple wrote:

Pros:

-Gert Frobe may be dubbed, but he still looks like a tough villain.

Fröbe was dubbed very well. I think he's a great look as villain. I love his expressions and with a great dubbed sound it's perfect to me. Almost no to none notable dub-moments.

MI6Community: DoubleOGeauss
YouTube: DutchJamesBondFan

^ he'd be up there in my top villain lists. He's larger than life, menacing and played perfectly well.

1. TWINE  2. FYEO  3. MR  4. TLD  5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS  7. DN  8. OP  9. AVTAK  10. TMWTGG  11. QoS 12. GE  13. CR  14. TB  15. FRWL  16. LTK  17. GF  18. SF  19. LaLD  20. YOLT  21. TND  22. DAD  23. DAF.

"If you'll forgive me, that's a little too scented for my palate."

"Where's Goldfinger?"
"Playing his golden harp."

One question: In whose apartment was Bond when he had sex with J. M.?

And how come neither Bond nor Jill noticed Oddjob before he knocked out Bond?

Agent Purple wrote:

One question: In whose apartment was Bond when he had sex with J. M.?

And how come neither Bond nor Jill noticed Oddjob before he knocked out Bond?

I'm pretty sure it was Bond's hotel room, since Bond met Jill in Goldfinger's suite and they didn't stay there. Oddjob is really quiet and did a good job hiding!