Re: Pros and Cons: Goldfinger

I find it curious that Oddjob was willing to die in the vault when the bomb went off.

Of course, since he never talks in the movie, I'm not sure if he was aware of the bomb.  He just gives the impression that he doesn't care what happens to him, and just goes along with Goldfinger's plan.

Also, why did Goldfinger leave Oddjob to die?  Did he assume he was easily replaceable?

This is just for the sake of discussion, as GF is easily one of my fave Bond films.

"Hostile takeovers.  Shall we?"
New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
1. TLD  2. TND  3. GF  4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
Bond actors to be re-ranked later

Agent Purple wrote:

I find it curious that Oddjob was willing to die in the vault when the bomb went off.

Of course, since he never talks in the movie, I'm not sure if he was aware of the bomb.  He just gives the impression that he doesn't care what happens to him, and just goes along with Goldfinger's plan.

Also, why did Goldfinger leave Oddjob to die?  Did he assume he was easily replaceable?

This is just for the sake of discussion, as GF is easily one of my fave Bond films.

Goldfinger wanted Bond to die in the vault, and he needed Oddjob there to make sure Bond didn't ruin his plans.

Does anyone else find it a bit sad that Tilly got killed as well as her sister?

I think it would've been interesting if she stuck around a bit longer in the movie.

Then again, I'm not sure how she would've fit in later scenes.

1. TLD  2. TND  3. GF  4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)

Agent Purple wrote:

Does anyone else find it a bit sad that Tilly got killed as well as her sister?

I think it would've been interesting if she stuck around a bit longer in the movie.

Tilly's death goes along with how Bond isn't able to succeed at anything in the film. He can't save two girls, he only wins at golf because Goldfinger cheated, he crashes his car, he's captured, he can't turn off the bomb, Goldfinger is sucked out of the plane after shooting the gun (with Bond's help), Bond can't save the plane.

Agent Purple wrote:

You might like to read the book, where exactly that happens!

Matt S wrote:

He can't save two girls, he only wins at golf because Goldfinger cheated, he crashes his car, he's captured, he can't turn off the bomb, Goldfinger is sucked out of the plane after shooting the gun (with Bond's help), Bond can't save the plane.

ajb007/lol  true.

BUT! Bond does talk Goldfinger into not lasering him down the middle!

1. TWINE  2. FYEO  3. MR  4. TLD  5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS  7. DN  8. OP  9. AVTAK  10. TMWTGG  11. QoS 12. GE  13. CR  14. TB  15. FRWL  16. LTK  17. GF  18. SF  19. LaLD  20. YOLT  21. TND  22. DAD  23. DAF.

"If you'll forgive me, that's a little too scented for my palate."

heartbroken_mr_drax wrote:
Matt S wrote:

He can't save two girls, he only wins at golf because Goldfinger cheated, he crashes his car, he's captured, he can't turn off the bomb, Goldfinger is sucked out of the plane after shooting the gun (with Bond's help), Bond can't save the plane.

ajb007/lol  true.

BUT! Bond does talk Goldfinger into not lasering him down the middle!

And he talks Pussy into changing the gas and being straight with him. He's a man of words and not actions in Goldfinger.

It would be interesting if SC looked bored in GF like he did in TB on, because couple that with the fact he does bugger all - it could be a very different film.

1. TWINE  2. FYEO  3. MR  4. TLD  5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS  7. DN  8. OP  9. AVTAK  10. TMWTGG  11. QoS 12. GE  13. CR  14. TB  15. FRWL  16. LTK  17. GF  18. SF  19. LaLD  20. YOLT  21. TND  22. DAD  23. DAF.

heartbroken_mr_drax wrote:

It would be interesting if SC looked bored in GF like he did in TB on, because couple that with the fact he does bugger all - it could be a very different film.

I agree.  Had his performance in GF been any different, the movie would most likely not be regarded in the way it is.

At the end of the PTS after Bond says "positively shocking" followed by the first note of that theme tune is so awesome.  ajb007/martini

1.ohmss  2.cr  3.frwl  4.ltk  5.gf  6.tswlm  7.sf  8.op  9.tld  10.dn  11.lald  12.tb  13.fyeo  14.ge  15.mr  16.yolt  17.tnd  18.avtak  19.sp  20.twine  21.qos  22.tmwtgg  23.daf  24.dad

The Wicker Man wrote:

At the end of the PTS after Bond says "positively shocking" followed by the first note of that theme tune is so awesome.  ajb007/martini

A great Bond moment for sure  ajb007/bond  ajb007/martini .

Interesting to think about the way Bond's meeting with Pussy was handled.

Hamilton really aced that scene.

Because in movies, it's not just what is said, but how it's said and in what context it's said.

Agent Purple wrote:

Interesting to think about the way Bond's meeting with Pussy was handled.

Hamilton really aced that scene.

Because in movies, it's not just what is said, but how it's said and in what context it's said.

Yep, the scene on the private plane is pretty epic. To me it's like the golf, just so well done.

PROS

The PTS.

Bassey's theme song.

Jill's death is an iconic scene in the series.

Barry's score, even the Disney-ish parts in the barn.

the laser scene, because the terror on Connery's face is real.

Oddjob is a brilliant henchman.

first Q lab scene.

The golf game with Bond playing Goldfinger at his own game on the golf course.

The humour.

meeting with the gangsters at Auric stud.

CONS

Obvious model work at times

The scene with Bond and the bomb  is inconsistent. He doesn't know what to do.  In movies that follow, Bond defuses them with some ease.

Last edited by hehadlotsofguts (6th Nov 2015 22:05)

Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"

hhlog, you put the word "CONS" twice.

Rectified. Thanks!

Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"

Funny how I love this film but don't care much for DAF, even though both were directed by Guy Hamilton.

Then again, Connery's performances in each of those films were very different.

He was a god in GF, and a mere mortal in DAF.

Plus I love Auric Goldfinger and Oddjob, but don't like Grey's Blofeld nor do I care much for Wint & Kitt.

And I like Pussy Galore and the Masterson sisters, but despise Tiffany Case and Plenty O' Toole.

So yeah, it's easy to see why I like one film much more than the other, despite the fact that the same guy directed them.

Last edited by Agent Purple (7th Nov 2015 00:27)

Agent Purple wrote:

Funny how I love this film but don't care much for DAF, even though both were directed by Guy Hamilton. Then again, Connery's performances in each of those films were very different. He was a god in GF, and a mere mortal in DAF. Plus I love Auric Goldfinger and Oddjob, but don't like Grey's Blofeld nor do I care much for Wint & Kitt. And I like Pussy Galore and the Masterson sisters, but despise Tiffany Case and Plenty O' Toole. So yeah, it's easy to see why I like one film much more than the other, despite the fact that the same guy directed them.

Kinda shows what director he is then and what other influences might have been there to put together a great film.

Didn't want to start a thread for this question and knew they'd be a
"Pros and Cons" thread.  ajb007/wink
Given that Connery never set foot in America filming Goldfinger,  last
Night I watched it again and for the first time, I thought. Where did they
Film Goldfinger's Kentucky ranch ?  Was that a purpose built set or was
there an American style farm in the south of England ?
  Funny how you can watch a film hundreds of times before something
strikes you !  ajb007/lol

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

Thunderpussy wrote:

Given that Connery never set foot in America filming Goldfinger,  last
Night I watched it again and for the first time, I thought. Where did they
Film Goldfinger's Kentucky ranch ?  Was that a purpose built set or was
there an American style farm in the south of England ?

I believe it was a Ken Adam set, built near Pinewood, IIRC.

Thanks Barbel.  ajb007/cheers

I haven't seen GF for quite some time, but the scene where Connery raises his glass in the discussion wih Pussy is obviously a bluescreen projection

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

Goooooldfingaaar, he's the man
The man with a Midas touch!

FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

" Who's strangling the cat"  ajb007/wink

ajb007/wink