Topic: Love or hate Bill Conti's For Your Eyes Only score?

I both love and hate the FYEO score.

Things I love:
- Title theme holds up very well
- Title theme used well throughout the score
- Bond theme not overused, but it's used in the right moments
- Music fits the on-screen action very well
- One of the most epic gunbarrels (though it doesn't need the cowbell)
- Runaway is a fantastic track that feels like a proper piece of music but still fits the action
- Ski...Shoot...Jump is a very creative track

Things I hate:
- The music sometimes makes the film feel more lighthearted than I think it should feel. John Barry used serious music throughout MR to make a silly film feel a little less silly, and FYEO could have used that as well.
- Doesn't have a Bond sound or a spy sound
- Makes the film feel dated. If Barry was able to score the film, the film would without a doubt hold up better than any of Moore's other Bond films.

Though the music sounds dated, that doesn't by any means make it bad music. It's just bad in the context of the film. Overall, I absolutely love the music but I think it holds back the film. What are your thoughts?

Re: Love or hate Bill Conti's For Your Eyes Only score?

I absolutely love it!
And this hasn't changed since the first time that I've seen the movie in the cinema back in 1981!

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

Higgins wrote:

I absolutely love it!
And this hasn't changed since the first time that I've seen the movie in the cinema back in 1981!

That makes three of us  ajb007/martini

Yikes ... I will be wearing green trainers next  ajb007/wink

One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief.

I can tell you where you can get a nice and bright pair  ajb007/biggrin

FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

wanted to add, that I am listening to the FYEO CD right now - a wonderful track - full of ideas and with a mediterranian tone.

There are some disco bits and synthie bits now and then, but the score is much better than often repeated here on the board.

Everyone stating that it has not aged well, I suggest to put it in the player and think again.

FYEO with the Fluegelhorn solo by Derek Watkins - if you don't like that you must have a heart of stone!

I love it too!

I'd be another fan.  ajb007/cheers  love it, some great tracks on it like
Runaway and Submarine.

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

It improves drastically after the snow scenes, and  I like the flugelhorn piece too.

Barbel wrote:

It improves drastically after the snow scenes, and  I like the flugelhorn piece too.

It's mostly the action cues in the first half that are the problem, like A Drive in the Country, Melina's Revenge (the part that is Bond's revenge against Blofeld) and Runaway. I love all these tracks, especially Runaway, but even in the parts of the soundtrack that hold up well, I still really want to hear Barry's music in the film. Barry wrote some of his best scores between MR and OP, like Somewhere in Time, Body Heat and especially Raise the Titanic. I think it was his best few years, which makes the lack of a Barry score in FYEO even more disappointing.

ajb007/cheers  Agreed.

I used to like it when I was young, then I found it ok, now I hate it. It drags the film down in my rankings. The gunbarrel music is the 2nd best though

2019 Bondathon...in progress (6) FRWL (7) GE (8) FYEO (9) TND (10) MR (11) GF (12) LALD (13) DAF (14) LTK (15) TMWTGG (16) TB (17) TSWLM (18) DAD (19) AVTAK (20) YOLT (21) QOS (22) SF (23) TWINE (24) SP

Watching this film recently, I found that the soundtrack has improved in regards to how it fits with the film. I noticed that the quality of the composing and the almost constant scoring (as opposed to Barry who I get the feeling didn't add music if it didn't fully need it) creates an excellent atmosphere that is unique. Unlike LTK, where I feel Kamen's soundtrack just feels a bit lacking in soul, Conti's score is full of character.

I re-listened to the soundtrack in entirety on the way to work this morning and right from the get-go, including the title song, you can hear Bill Conti's talent for putting together that true feeling cinematic sound.

What's great:

- The lushness of the soundtrack and blend of electronic and full orchestra - particularly the brass notes.
- Usage of Bond theme within A Drive in the Country, Submarine, Gunbarrel, Melina's Revenge - Conti has used the Bond theme in one of the most creative and excellent sounding ways out of all the non-Barry composers.
- The suspense created in Gonzales Takes a Dive, St. Cyril's, Ski Shoot Jump, Run Them Down, The Climb.
- Espionage cues when Bond is in Italy.
- Instrumental versions of the title theme when Bond is in Corfu.
- Title song is a great Bond song and fits the film perfectly - it's also an excellent song when not in context of Bond too.

What's no so great:

- Same as Matt S said at the top of this thread - sometimes the tone is a little too lighthearted.
- Overuse of percussion at times.
- Ending of Runaway could've been toned down a bit, in the film it doesn't totally match the pictures, again makes it lighthearted.

FYEO would be my favourite non-Barry/Arnold Bond soundtrack.

1. TWINE  2. FYEO  3. MR  4. TLD  5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS  7. DN  8. OP  9. AVTAK  10. TMWTGG  11. QoS 12. GE  13. CR  14. TB  15. FRWL  16. LTK  17. GF  18. SF  19. LaLD  20. YOLT  21. TND  22. DAD  23. DAF.

"If you'll forgive me, that's a little too scented for my palate."

Love it. It shouldn't work, but it does.

—Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
Agent In Training

Barbel wrote:

Is that in "The PM Gets the Bird"?

1. TWINE  2. FYEO  3. MR  4. TLD  5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS  7. DN  8. OP  9. AVTAK  10. TMWTGG  11. QoS 12. GE  13. CR  14. TB  15. FRWL  16. LTK  17. GF  18. SF  19. LaLD  20. YOLT  21. TND  22. DAD  23. DAF.

No, this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTj36fhwPMA

Yes, that is a really beautiful piece.  ajb007/smile  ajb007/martini

Writer/Director @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
On Twitter: @Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
"The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Silhouette Man wrote:

Yes, that is a really beautiful piece.  ajb007/smile  ajb007/martini

To me that track (while it is a little cliched like a Kenny G piece), highlights the quality of Conti's score.

It has that heavily produced album sound that appeared in the 1980s that to me is similar to Julio Iglesias' 1100 Bel Air Place.

I would pay good money to have a Barry score superimposed on this film. That said, the title track is superb and the Drive in Country stuff does have a loud, modern sound. Barry did tend to drag some films down a bit, OP for instance. Perhaps if they had gone with a younger Bond Conti's score would not all sound so incongruous with the newly creaky Moore.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

I absolutely love this soundtrack, there are some brilliant pieces on it.
One that springs to mind, which I think is very creative, is the piece used when Rog is trying to get away from the bad dudes and gets in the lift with the skiers. He looks genuinely scared when the door re-opens.

The music used for tne climb is very suspenseful and the gunbarrel with cowbell is absolutely stonking. Stonking? Yes, stonking!

Oh, and Ski, Shoot, Jump is just perfect.

Love it!  I also loved Conti's score for The Thomas Crown Affair.

In fact, I am just listening to the score now and the title song is one of the best ever!

Last edited by IanT (23rd Mar 2016 09:12)

I like it. I love how 80s it is, I love how Mediterranean it is, and I especially love the 'Run, Ski, Jump' track. Definitely up there with the best cues in the world of Bond. Very atmospheric, classy and with a great helping of espionage. Very James Bond.

Film: Tomorrow Never Dies | Girl: Teresa di Vicenzo | Villain: Max Zorin | Car: Aston Martin Volante | Novel: You Only Live Twice | Bond: Sir Sean Connery

I enjoy it greatly so add +1 to the love column.  ajb007/smile

"No for me."
"You forgot the first rule of Mass Media Elliot! Give the people what they want!!!"
"I never miss..."
"Time to face gravity!"

PM Gets The Bird/FYEO is an incredible track.

The mix between the love theme and the theme for the government is brilliantly done - the drums and brass instruments. Then what tops it off is the brilliant blend into the title song - very seamless.

IMO, Conti's soundtrack is one of the most polished and cinematic scores from all of Bond. Not saying it's better than Barry/Arnold - it just has an excellent different sound.

I remember a friend and I in the 90s were obsessed with finding this album. it was surprisingly hard to find Bond scores in the early 90s. We got one on vinyl in Hanway Street (amazing record shops) for £8 and when we got it home, it was even better than we had hoped for. He thought it was funny and cheesy, I actually thought it was completely cool, and being a DJ was a great addition to the LP collection. I still have it at home somewhere. I was so chuffed when they finally released the complete score in 2000. I love that CD ski...run...jump (or whatever it's called) was a very welcome addition. And then I found the Theme Song on 7" in a charity shop and the B side is Runaway, which is such a great piece of music.  Unlike "Make it last all night" which is definitely terrible.  ajb007/lol

I really like it. Really fits the film, and it suits both the scenes in Greece and in Italy.

1.LTK  2.AVTAK  3.OP  4.FYEO  5.TND  6.LALD  7.GE  8.GF  9.TSWLM  10.SPECTRE  11.SF  12.MR 13.YOLT  14.TLD  15.CR (06)  16.TMWTGG  17.TB  18.FRWL  19.TWINE  20.OHMSS  21.DAF  22.DAD  23.QoS  24.NSNA  25.DN  26.CR (67)