101

Re: What are you Currently Reading?

DutchJamesBondFan wrote:

As I have a stunning Fleming box for a while (incl. Colonel Sun) I started to read the books. Not very quick, but I started Moonraker last week. CR and LALD were both great. Before I started MR I saw the film, I did really like it, but as I heard the book is way different, I'm getting very excited! http://www.mijnzwartebeertjes.nl/afbeeldingen/C2av1.jpg http://www.mijnzwartebeertjes.nl/afbeeldingen/C2aa1.jpg

Oh, man . . . I wish they'd release a set like this in English. I'd snap it up in a heartbeat!

102

Re: What are you Currently Reading?

Currently re-reading Raymond Chandler's "Killer in The Rain"- early versions of what would later be his classic "The Big Sleep", "Farewell, My Lovely", etc. Wonderful stuff.

It was raining in Los Angeles that night, the kind of rain that washes away old sins. I took a sip from my Bourbon and contemplated calling an old friend for some company. Footsteps heading to my door changed that idea. She sashayed in, high heels click-clicking on the cold floor. "Are you Philip Marlowe?" she breathed, smelling of bougainvillea and sour gin. "That's what they tell me", I said, "what of it?"

103

Re: What are you Currently Reading?

Barbel wrote:

Currently re-reading Raymond Chandler's "Killer in The Rain"- early versions of what would later be his classic "The Big Sleep", "Farewell, My Lovely", etc. Wonderful stuff.

It was raining in Los Angeles that night, the kind of rain that washes away old sins. I took a sip from my Bourbon and contemplated calling an old friend for some company. Footsteps heading to my door changed that idea. She sashayed in, high heels click-clicking on the cold floor. "Are you Philip Marlowe?" she breathed, smelling of bougainvillea and sour gin. "That's what they tell me", I said, "what of it?"

As a big Chandler fan I had read all of his novels before I found a copy of Killer in the Rain in a used bookstore. It was fascinating to read these short stories that would later be filled out to become some of the finest crime fiction of the century.  ajb007/martini

1.ohmss  2.cr  3.frwl  4.ltk  5.gf  6.tswlm  7.sf  8.op  9.tld  10.dn  11.lald  12.tb  13.fyeo  14.ge  15.mr  16.yolt  17.tnd  18.avtak  19.sp  20.twine  21.qos  22.tmwtgg  23.daf  24.dad

104

Re: What are you Currently Reading?

Barbel wrote:

Currently re-reading Raymond Chandler's "Killer in The Rain"- early versions of what would later be his classic "The Big Sleep", "Farewell, My Lovely", etc. Wonderful stuff.

It was raining in Los Angeles that night, the kind of rain that washes away old sins. I took a sip from my Bourbon and contemplated calling an old friend for some company. Footsteps heading to my door changed that idea. She sashayed in, high heels click-clicking on the cold floor. "Are you Philip Marlowe?" she breathed, smelling of bougainvillea and sour gin. "That's what they tell me", I said, "what of it?"

Sounds like my cup of tea.

"Sic Parvis Magna"
"Greatness From Small Beginnings."

105

Re: What are you Currently Reading?

It's great stuff, I thoroughly recommend reading Chandler (though don't start with that one, please read the novels first). He was a favourite of Fleming's. I have to admit though, that the bit in italics isn't a quote, that was me doing a pastiche.

106

Re: What are you Currently Reading?

Barbel wrote:

It's great stuff, I thoroughly recommend reading Chandler (though don't start with that one, please read the novels first). He was a favourite of Fleming's. I have to admit though, that the bit in italics isn't a quote, that was me doing a pastiche.

Nice  ajb007/smile

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

107

Re: What are you Currently Reading?

Thunderpussy wrote:

Just started Blood and Ashes by M Loeffelholz. Just the first chapter so far
but very impressive, good plot outlay and how a certain character  is dealt with
is funny and effective.  ajb007/martini

Just looked in on this thread...I do hope you enjoyed it, TP  ajb007/martini

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

108

Re: What are you Currently Reading?

Oh yes,  ajb007/martini  I'm only about halfway through it, as it seems
to be one of those times, were I don't have muct time for
reading.
  I did like your little nod to a certain Actor's tattoo,  ajb007/wink in
One of the minor villains.

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

109

Re: What are you Currently Reading?

ajb007/wink

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

110

Re: What are you Currently Reading?

Blood and Ashes:
  Is an old fashioned private eye thriller, set in the 1940s. It moves along at a
cracking pace, with every chapter ending on an exciting event. Making you
want to quickly move on to the next chapter.
   On the character side, Oscar Jade is a brilliant concept, a flawed hero. I
found the female characters to be very strong, it was obviously a very
different  time, and women were treated very differently than today.
    The action flows naturally from scene to scene, with a multitude of fights,
Car chases and shootouts.  With a few bits of dark humour. How Jade gets
Information out of a couple of goons, is brutal yet amusing at the same time.
   The climax of the story, is violent but fully sensible. All brutal but believable
Sorry about the rambling nature of this post, but I'm making it up as I go.
  The book finishes on a nice set up of Characters for another story ( And a bit
better done than the end of Skyfall).
  So I'd happily recommend it to all AJBers. ajb007/martini

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

111

Re: What are you Currently Reading?

ajb007/cheers  Nice review, TP!

112

Re: What are you Currently Reading?

ajb007/lol  Sadly my inferior writing skills, can't really do it justice,
But basically it's a fun read.  ajb007/cheers

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

113

Re: What are you Currently Reading?

Yup, and I'm looking forward to the next one.

114

Re: What are you Currently Reading?

I just finished Devil May Care last weekend, and I started Carte Blanche on Sunday, the 29th.  After CB, I'll start Trigger Mortis.

"Now pay attention double O seven..." - Q.  Words I think we should all live by.

- Troy

115

Re: What are you Currently Reading?

Guilty admission; I'd only ever read Casino Royale until recently............so started reading the Fleming books in sequence only a couple of weeks ago; currently on Diamonds Are Forever. 

How did I miss reading them?!?  Whilst some of the language and references are dated (it took me some time to get used to the nowadays not at all pc references in Live and Let Die) they are absolutely fantastic stories.  Loved Moonraker.  I already know I will be bereft when I've finished them all!

My name has changed! I’m no longer dufus......now I’m DB6

116

Re: What are you Currently Reading?

Just bought the kindle edition of " The atheists  guide to Christmas"  should give me a laugh
over Christmas.  ajb007/biggrin

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

117

Re: What are you Currently Reading?

I just started reading The Man With The Golden Typewriter.  It's good so far.

"A blunt instrument wielded by a Government department.  Hard, ruthless, sardonic, fatalistic.  He likes gambling, golf, fast motor cars.  All his movements are relaxed and economical". Ian Fleming

118

Re: What are you Currently Reading?

00-Agent wrote:

I just started reading The Man With The Golden Typewriter.  It's good so far.

I just got the man with the golden typewriter on kindle, along with trigger mortis. hopefully, they will be good reads  ajb007/martini

I still have to go through many of the Fleming 007 novels so there is a lot on my plate now  ajb007/lol

119

Re: What are you Currently Reading?

Just started reading "The Man With The Golden Typewriter". The intro summarized Fleming's career and life. The chapter on Casino Royale has some interesting letters that gave insights in to how Fleming negotiated with the publishers and his deep involvement with publishing the book including designing its cover. In b/w business letters, there are some hilarious personal letters included as well.

Every chapter deals with a series of letters exchanged during / after the publication of a particular book. As such, I believe that they can be read independently like short stories w/o worrying about having to catch up on the story.

One of the best ways to use the book would be to read relevant chapters with the book you are reading. And that would provide additional insights in to what went on in the background when the particular book was written.


At times, when I go back to what I have written (including posts on this forum), I am surprised by some of the errors that I may have made (whether in spelling, grammar or tone). At times that can be attributed to typing on hand held devices. It is good to know that Fleming made a lot of those mistakes despite being involved with writing professionally - whether as a journalist or an author.

120

Re: What are you Currently Reading?

Actually decided to give "Layer Cake" a read

Instagram - bondclothes007

121

Re: What are you Currently Reading?

am747 wrote:

...how Fleming negotiated with the publishers and his deep involvement with publishing the book [Casino Royale] including designing its cover...

"The Man With The Golden Typewriter" sounds like an essential supplement to the Fleming canon, abit different to the usual bio
I didn't realize Fleming designed the cover of Casino Royale... those original hardcovers all have a consistent look, did he also design the others?
if they were actually designed or at least approved by the author, then why hasn't there been a paperback reissue of the series using the original artwork? out of all the dozens of variations we've had over the years, I don't think its ever been done ... the original, author-approved artwork should be part of a definitive edition

122

Re: What are you Currently Reading?

Thunderpussy wrote:

Blood and Ashes:
  Is an old fashioned private eye thriller, set in the 1940s. It moves along at a
cracking pace, with every chapter ending on an exciting event. Making you
want to quickly move on to the next chapter.
   On the character side, Oscar Jade is a brilliant concept, a flawed hero. I
found the female characters to be very strong, it was obviously a very
different  time, and women were treated very differently than today.
    The action flows naturally from scene to scene, with a multitude of fights,
Car chases and shootouts.  With a few bits of dark humour. How Jade gets
Information out of a couple of goons, is brutal yet amusing at the same time.
   The climax of the story, is violent but fully sensible. All brutal but believable
Sorry about the rambling nature of this post, but I'm making it up as I go.
  The book finishes on a nice set up of Characters for another story ( And a bit
better done than the end of Skyfall).
  So I'd happily recommend it to all AJBers. ajb007/martini

TP, I sincerely apologize for missing your very gracious review of my book. I'm very glad you enjoyef it, and am endeavouring to craft a proper follow-up. Thanks very much. Cheers!  ajb007/martini

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

123

Re: What are you Currently Reading?

caractacus potts wrote:
am747 wrote:

...how Fleming negotiated with the publishers and his deep involvement with publishing the book [Casino Royale] including designing its cover...

"The Man With The Golden Typewriter" sounds like an essential supplement to the Fleming canon, abit different to the usual bio
I didn't realize Fleming designed the cover of Casino Royale... those original hardcovers all have a consistent look, did he also design the others?
if they were actually designed or at least approved by the author, then why hasn't there been a paperback reissue of the series using the original artwork? out of all the dozens of variations we've had over the years, I don't think its ever been done ... the original, author-approved artwork should be part of a definitive edition

Yes, Fleming was involved with every aspect of the publication. As you are interested in the subject, I am quoting from one of his letters to Jonathan Cape for your reference - "I have designed a jacket of exquisite symmetry and absolute chastity and I am using my visual features studio here to prepare the finished product which should be ready today. When it is I will speak to Michael Howard."

Another letter to Cape dated Oct 21, 1952

"I have arranged to see Michael Howard on the Friday afternoon and in the meantime here is a possible jacket. I think that the idea is good, namely that the nine of hearts which plays such an important part in the book should provide the basic design and the meaning of this card in gypsy lore should appear somewhere, as it is also perhaps appropriate to the general theme of the book. I also like the colour scheme.

On the other hand, the hearts as shown are a little too lush and perhaps too heavily outweigh the Fry's decorated which I have used for the type.

I have shown it to Leonard Russell who is delighted with it, but suggests that the title should be made much stronger and the hearts correspondingly reduced. We both think the ribbon design round the central heart could be improved."

I have read the book till the Diamonds Are Forever chapter. Fleming in one way or the other was involved with the design of the jackets. I plan to read other chapters in conjunction with the respective book. As you might have guessed, so far, I have read the first four books.


https://rebeccaromney.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/cr.jpg


ajb007/cheers

124

Re: What are you Currently Reading?

Other covers:

http://www.collecting-fleming.com/images/books/_watermarked/jonathan-cape-live-and-let-die.jpg


http://www.paulfrasercollectibles.com/upload/public/docimages/Image/d/f/l/Moonraker.jpg

^ Fleming wasn't too impressed with MR's jacket

"Undoubtedly if you decide to do a reprint a new jacket would help. The one we had was, I am sure you will agree, the worst of the lot"


http://pictures.abebooks.com/CURTSBOOKS/15746666521.jpg

"I am terribly sorry to hear you are having such pangs about the jacket .... I enclose a rough copy and hope it pleases you"

After some back and forth with the publishers: To Michael Howard -  "But I must congratulate you on the jacket. It's excellent, also the text, & please thank your wife for her inspiration. I feel a soupcon of cleavage would have helped, but I know your politics on that ...."


ajb007/cheers

125

Re: What are you Currently Reading?

Funny I actually really like the Moonraker first edition cover, simple as it is, but then it's my favourite of the Bond novels!  ajb007/smile

Writer/Director @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
On Twitter: @Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
"The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).