Re: Very disappointed Thomas Newman is doing the Spectre score

I must say I didn't like it at first but I've played it alot and now I actually do like it ,I need the blue ray now to get the track order and rip the gun barrel and make it in order

I think Newman has found his feet as a Bond composer. The Spectre soundtrack had that familiar Bond feel. Somthing that Skyfall lacked for me.

Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"

hehadlotsofguts wrote:

I think Newman has found his feet as a Bond composer. The Spectre soundtrack had that familiar Bond feel. Somthing that Skyfall lacked for me.

Agree.

1. TWINE  2. FYEO  3. MR  4. TLD  5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS  7. DN  8. OP  9. AVTAK  10. TMWTGG  11. QoS 12. GE  13. CR  14. TB  15. FRWL  16. LTK  17. GF  18. SF  19. LaLD  20. YOLT  21. TND  22. DAD  23. DAF.

"If you'll forgive me, that's a little too scented for my palate."

hehadlotsofguts wrote:

It has familiar feel because you heard it before in Skyfall. It completely lacks Barry's feel, which David Arnold often got right.

Matt S wrote:
hehadlotsofguts wrote:

It has familiar feel because you heard it before in Skyfall. It completely lacks Barry's feel, which David Arnold often got right.

Yes, but SP was nowhere as as bland as SF! That's IMPROVEMENT man. ajb007/martini

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

Finaly listened to it all the way through today, same opinion as the movie, dull, can't even remember one track from it.

sniperUK wrote:

Finaly listened to it all the way through today, same opinion as the movie, dull, can't even remember one track from it.

I listened to it all the way through yesterday too...but at the gym...worked as 'background' music for me  ajb007/biggrin

YNWA: Justice For The 96

The Joy Of 6

the main problem with Thonas Newman is that he completely forgets about the Bond theme and doesn't build on it. David Arnold once said he himself uses it whenever Bond does something typical bondian. Newman should really use it, it would make any scene better.

"You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"

I have listened toa. Few tracks, and it made me realised he slips cues for the Bond theme in, but just doesnt go any further than a few notes!

1.LTK  2.AVTAK  3.OP  4.FYEO  5.TND  6.LALD  7.GE  8.GF  9.TSWLM  10.SPECTRE  11.SF  12.MR 13.YOLT  14.TLD  15.CR (06)  16.TMWTGG  17.TB  18.FRWL  19.TWINE  20.OHMSS  21.DAF  22.DAD  23.QoS  24.NSNA  25.DN  26.CR (67)

If there is no Mendes for Bond 25 there won't be any Newman.....I would guess if it is up to EON David Arnold will return. I'd be more than fine with that. That being said, I didn't think the SPECTRE score was a disaster...it had its moments.

Listened to the soundtrack album today ( Christmas present from my kids) and really
quite liked it, sure there seems to be a bit of Skyfall reused, but it has a few really good
tracks.

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

Listening again to the Spectre soundtrack, I get a feeling of a nod to
Bernard Hermann at times.

Hmm yes a nod to Hermann, with an undertone of Skyfall, a slight aroma of Zimmer, with an occasional tang of elfman, yes I concur vintage 2015.....but would benefit from some more Barry I feel.

It was either that.....or the priesthood

Chriscoop wrote:

Hmm yes a nod to Hermann, with an undertone of Skyfall, a slight aroma of Zimmer, with an occasional tang of elfman, yes I concur vintage 2015.....but would benefit from some more Barry I feel.

Whilst the music may have some orchestrations like Herrmann's music, in concept the score is very much like Zimmer's music. Apart from a few seconds here or a few seconds there, Barry's sound was absent from the film. David Arnold is really the only composer that has used Barry's sound. Hamlisch used it a little,

I can agree with that, I'd love to see Arnold back.  ajb007/martini

David Arnold will return....oh and so will James bond

i don't mind if Arnold never comes back, provided we end up with a composer who writes scores that are actually enjoyable listening experiences in their own right. I can pop in almost any non-Newman Bond soundtrack on album and listen to it and be engaged by the music on its own, enjoy the themes, orchestrations etc. whereas Newman's music only has any effectiveness in the context of the film. There are moments which stand up on their own, but these are few and far between...much too far for a Bond score!

Golrush007 wrote:

i don't mind if Arnold never comes back, provided we end up with a composer who writes scores that are actually enjoyable listening experiences in their own right. I can pop in almost any non-Newman Bond soundtrack on album and listen to it and be engaged by the music on its own, enjoy the themes, orchestrations etc. whereas Newman's music only has any effectiveness in the context of the film. There are moments which stand up on their own, but these are few and far between...much too far for a Bond score!

I have the opposite reaction, I quite like the SF and SP soundtracks while listening in the car etc but I seriously think that they detract from the enjoyment of the film. I find them mostly lethargic in context of the film especially SP. I'd even go so far as to say I think SP would have more positive reactions with an Arnold esque soundtrack behind it.

I think the Spectre score was the worst Bond score since Goldeneye, and I'm a huge fan of the SF score. But the majority of SP is rehashed material and whats not rehashed sounds incredibly forgettable. I only really liked the PTS music and the Q lab music.

@ddspike21

Sir Miles wrote:

I listened to it all the way through yesterday too...but at the gym...worked as 'background' music for me  ajb007/biggrin

My gripe is Barry's music is never background music. For me, it's as part of the identity of Bond as are the locations, the stunts, the actors. I wouldn't have the same thoughts about other franchises, but Bond music is very important to me and Barry (unfortunately?) set a very high bar

walther p99 wrote:

I think the Spectre score was the worst Bond score since Goldeneye, and I'm a huge fan of the SF score. But the majority of SP is rehashed material and whats not rehashed sounds incredibly forgettable. I only really liked the PTS music and the Q lab music.

I would even go far as to say Serra no longer is my least favourite composer.

2019 Bondathon...in progress (6) FRWL (7) GE (8) FYEO (9) TND (10) MR (11) GF (12) LALD (13) DAF (14) LTK (15) TMWTGG (16) TB (17) TSWLM (18) DAD (19) AVTAK (20) YOLT (21) QOS (22) SF (23) TWINE (24) SP

Bondage007 wrote:

Worse than....?
http://s13.postimg.cc/j0hyoitgj/AA_OLD_MAN_3.jpg

Bondage007 wrote:
Sir Miles wrote:

My gripe is Barry's music is never background music. For me, it's as part of the identity of Bond as are the locations, the stunts, the actors. I wouldn't have the same thoughts about other franchises, but Bond music is very important to me and Barry (unfortunately?) set a very high bar

Excellent point  ajb007/cheers

But you work with what you're given  ajb007/biggrin

YNWA: Justice For The 96

The Joy Of 6

Barbel wrote:
Bondage007 wrote:

Worse than....?
http://s13.postimg.cc/j0hyoitgj/AA_OLD_MAN_3.jpg

Michel Legrand is a fantastic composer, and he hasn't ruined any Bond films.

No, you're quite right: that film didn't need his help to be ruined!

Barbel wrote:

No, you're quite right: that film didn't need his help to be ruined!

Not the point I was making, but still true.