Re: SPECTRE reviews - *SPOILERS*

Shatterfang wrote:

um...hello... I still like the gunbarrel at the end of Spectre. It allowed for a more cinematic opening. In Quantum not so much

Not sure I understand: gunbarrel at the END of SPECTRE? But it's at the beginning(?)

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

Loeffelholz wrote:
Shatterfang wrote:

um...hello... I still like the gunbarrel at the end of Spectre. It allowed for a more cinematic opening. In Quantum not so much

Not sure I understand: gunbarrel at the END of SPECTRE? But it's at the beginning(?)

Honestly where the gunbarrel goes depends entirely on the film itself. If you end on a bittersweet note like Quantum than having the 007 music play on the gunbarrel immediately after will completely obliterate that melancholy feeling of Bond as he leaves the algerian love knot in the snow. In Skyfall it worked at the end better. Mendez said he tried to make it work at the beginning, but it would've ruined the cinematic opening where Bond immediately steps out behind that wall and you here the DUH-NUH. In Spectre he obviously figured it worked at the beginning this time. Its not like it belongs at the front, it belongs whereever it fits best depending on the moods at the beginning and end.

Shatterfang wrote:
Loeffelholz wrote:
Shatterfang wrote:

Honestly where the gunbarrel goes depends entirely on the film itself. If you end on a bittersweet note like Quantum than having the 007 music play on the gunbarrel immediately after will completely obliterate that melancholy feeling of Bond as he leaves the algerian love knot in the snow. In Skyfall it worked at the end better. Mendez said he tried to make it work at the beginning, but it would've ruined the cinematic opening where Bond immediately steps out behind that wall and you here the DUH-NUH. In Spectre he obviously figured it worked at the beginning this time. Its not like it belongs at the front, it belongs whereever it fits best depending on the moods at the beginning and end.

You always talk about a "cinematic opening", but what does that even mean, and how is the gunbarrel not a "cinematic opening"?

Jimatay wrote:

Does it last longer than the 00.7 seconds like the other Craig ones?

Ask Rachel Weisz.

ajb007/lol

Shatterfang wrote:
Loeffelholz wrote:
Shatterfang wrote:

You're home son, go drunk.

Loeffelholz wrote:
Shatterfang wrote:

Skyfall, perhaps?

"Some men are coming to kill us. We're going to kill them first."

I just told you, the bond theme playing has a certain mood to it it affects what follows it, bond stepping out behind the wall after he has already walked into frame in the gunbarrel would be stupid thats why Mendez put it at the end

Spectre is getting mixed reviews, but the consensus emerges that it is better than QoS, which was probably the lowest point in the franchise.

Jag wrote:

Spectre is getting mixed reviews, but the consensus emerges that it is better than QoS, which was probably the lowest point in the franchise.

QoS was nowhere near the "lowest point" of the franchise.

Try perhaps, TMWTGG or LTK or DAD. After each of those, the franchise almost ended after all of those movies.

MrSwinderman wrote:
Jag wrote:

Try perhaps, TMWTGG or LTK or DAD. After each of those, the franchise almost ended after all of those movies.

'

MrSwinderman wrote:
Jag wrote:

Yeah the series will never get lower than the superfluous nipple, bond trying to wedgie a sumo wrestler and snowboarding to the beach boys, but what'd you have against LTK? a great bond film, maybe you meant AVTAK.

Jag wrote:

QOS is one of the better films of the series - certainly better than the worst of Connery & Moore and the Brosnan stinkers.

Shatterfang wrote:
MrSwinderman wrote:
Jag wrote:

'

MrSwinderman wrote:
Jag wrote:

Yeah the series will never get lower than the superfluous nipple, bond trying to wedgie a sumo wrestler and snowboarding to the beach boys, but what'd you have against LTK? a great bond film, maybe you meant AVTAK.

I have nothing against LTK but it was a low point as far as money goes. It was the lowest grossing movie and still is. The franchise was almost finished.

blame_thatcher wrote:
Jag wrote:

QOS is one of the better films of the series - certainly better than the worst of Connery & Moore and the Brosnan stinkers.

Some people really like QoS! What makes it the lowest point for the franchise is how forgettable it is - but each to their own. I'll watch DAD 100 times over QoS!

This thread is really for SPECTRE reviews.....if we could keep to topic please...there are many other threads in which to discuss the other films....thanks  ajb007/martini

YNWA 96

The Unbearables

It will certainly be easier once we get more reviews. They seem to be trickling in rather slowly at the moment.

Shatterfang wrote:

None of the reviews are comparing Spectre to itself, comparing it to other action franchises, or even comparing it to other bonds. They're just comparing it to... Skyfall  ajb007/crap ... if they just compared it to the entire franchise, it has to be in the top 7.

They also are counting off just because it is not as emotional as the last 3. Well maybe it wasn't trying to, ever think of that. We don't need an emotionally driven narrative every time. In fact, the older bonds had action driven narratives, all the way up till OHMSS. And before that they would always hold the emotional stuff right towards the end just to give the finale some extra weight. goldfinger didn't have any emotion compared to Bond movies 1, 2, and 4 - it is the least emotional and the most cheesy of the 4, yet its considered the best one.  I just think they are deducting the movie for all the wrong reasons.   We have evolved into a culture that really likes that emotional stuff, and that was great coming out of the Die Another Day pit but we don't have to rely on it as much. action and rising against the odds is really is the most important thing. Don't cater to the critics

This is part of the problem with modern popcorn/ mass entertainment cinema, we always have to go into the history and psychology of the characters now a-la The Dark Knight Trilogy. Problem is, that sometimes their history is either not that interesting, a bit of a cliche, or just not very well done.

We rarely get just a straight up action film now. That's why Taken was pretty refreshing and most people liked it. It did straight up action, and did it well.

I don't necessarily mind exploring Bond's back story, but if it detracts from the mission and the overall charge of the film, then no.

Reviews only please...I'll remove all posts that aren't from now on..

YNWA 96

The Unbearables

Sir Miles wrote:

Sir Miles is clearly having a bad day today. A shame he needs to take it out on forum members, though. He's closed a number of threads today but isn't guiding the OPs to the threads where they should be posting their remarks. Poor moderating.

Closed.

jasper_lamar_crabb wrote:

Sir Miles is clearly having a bad day today. A shame he needs to take it out on forum members, though. He's closed a number of threads today but isn't guiding the OPs to the threads where they should be posting their remarks. Poor moderating.

Closed.

ajb007/rolleyes   

There are clearly 'stickys' marked for SPECTRE reviews. Perhaps he assumes that people can read thread titles...and warnings about deleting non-review posts here  ajb007/takecover

Sorry, Sir Miles. I'd go along with a dustpan if I could  ajb007/martini

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

jasper_lamar_crabb wrote:
Sir Miles wrote:

Closed.

Yeah...sorry for trying to squeeze a life in between closing and deleting threads...please bend over whilst I wipe your bottom  ajb007/rolleyes

YNWA 96

The Unbearables

Well just saw Spectre. Great to have the gunbarrel back where it belongs. Awful song. Lots of older movie references. Live & let die in Mexico, the funeral scene had shades of thunderball and spy who loved me when they go to the ruins mixed together. Felt a bit thunderbally, i.e. , 4th movie etc. I knew from reading the books that Oberhauser must have been Bonds brother. Didn't expect full blofeld with cat & facial scar. Funniest bit was when M told C what "C" must stand for. Lea Seydeux was absolutely stunning but not quite Eva Green. Tied up a lot of left over loose ends.
Honestly really liked it. Even felt a bit Living Daylights at times ajb007/smile

Many reviews mention SPECTRE is like a Roger Moore Bond film! Wow - that is surprising given the shift in tone when Craig was cast. Can't imagine anyone expected Craig's fourth film to be giving off a Moore Bond vibe.

I enjoyed SPECTRE. It was fun watching Daniel Craig, in his own inimitable style, playing with a more traditional Bond formula, including several elements which had been rested for a number of years. The film's allusions to Bond movies of old are too numerous to list at this time, but Mendes and the writers do enough work on theme, texture and relationships to make this more than simply a 'by numbers' or 'greatest hits' offering, as some critics have complained: it's a movie with a trajectory of its own. Lea Seydoux adds a beguiling quality to the film, and it's interesting that Monica Bellucci is apparently spared the generic 'sacrificial lamb' death for which she'd seemed so firmly set up. Also, it's good to see Mendes developing the supporting characters which he'd cast as Bond's MI6 allies in SF, lending Craig's loner Bond a more familial context. I was touched (more than I'd ever have expected to have been) by Dame Judi's brief appearance, casting a shadow over the new movie in giving her last assignment to Bond.

I liked SPECTRE's 'ret-conning' of the three previous Daniel Craig films - how the movie claims the gamut of villains since CR for membership of the ultimate criminal organisation in cinematic Bond lore, overriding Quantum. ('Ret-conning' is the retrospective imposition of continuity - a term familiar to sci-fi and comic book fans.) The idea that 'you-know-who' was, all along, boss of the lot of them manages to convince because we have an actor of the stature of Christoph Waltz in the Number One hot-seat!  I agree, too, with what Chasing Bullets, in his excellent review, observes about the inflections of Fleming's 'Octopussy' in the situation of the Mr White character: Jesper Christensen's cameo all but steals the show. The main question now is whether the definite sense of closure at the end of SPECTRE means that Craig's Bond really has taken a final bow. In the packed cinema which I attended, I'd guess that it was only a fear that Craig may not return which explained the largely muted mood of the audience as the final credits rolled.   

Engaging acting, brilliant cinematography, breathtaking action and spectacle... there's a lot to admire, here.

Last edited by Shady Tree (27th Oct 2015 20:21)

jamesm123 wrote:

Well just saw Spectre. Great to have the gunbarrel back where it belongs. Awful song. Lots of older movie references. Live & let die in Mexico, the funeral scene had shades of thunderball and spy who loved me when they go to the ruins mixed together. Felt a bit thunderbally, i.e. , 4th movie etc. I knew from reading the books that Oberhauser must have been Bonds brother. Didn't expect full blofeld with cat & facial scar. Funniest bit was when M told C what "C" must stand for. Lea Seydeux was absolutely stunning but not quite Eva Green. Tied up a lot of left over loose ends.
Honestly really liked it. Even felt a bit Living Daylights at times ajb007/smile

I thought it felt a bit Living Daylights as well! ajb007/biggrin I think it was partly Madeleine's dress.

Saw that 'C' joke coming as soon as Bond said 'I shall call you 'C''. Not quite set up as obviously as Christmas Jones but still a really obvious joke.

What did people think of 'C'? I thought he was the weak link; it was essentially a copy-paste of his role as Moriarty with shades of Jim Keats from Ashes to Ashes. Such a boring unnecessary character; I guess he serves as a contrast to M but is one really needed?

Quick review:

A little shriek of excitement as the gun barrel appears immediately after the studio splashes and straight into the action ... and a piece of cinematic joy. That tracking shot! Oh my! The PTS delighted me and started the film on a high.

I found the title sequence quite Binderesque, but sorry, still don't like the majority of Sam Smith's theme (although the cues throughout the score are tasteful and appropriate).

Thankfully I have kept away from the spoilers (and sorry to say any news on the production via AJB) but I found the whole film quite engaging. Dashing from one location to the next was great, but I just wish they had padded out Tangiers and Austria especially. It all felt very rushed and can only assume that these locations suffered more in the edit (at the expense of moody, film noir lingering shots of the lead characters).

This sense of being rushed almost made me thing that they were cramming far too much into the film. I would have preferred a lot more characterisations (I felt Bellucci's character & C needed more fleshing out) at the expense of the cable-car scene, the (great but overlong) car chase and the denouement, which did feel 5 minutes too long.

One aspect that the production team seem very attached to is the need to constantly reinforce the heritage of the story arc. Constant references to past characters to me show that they are not confident in maximising the characters they have in this film. A bit weak in my opinion.

On the whole though another enjoyable romp. It was good, but not great and I wonder if we need a bit of a change of direction as this particular story arc has reached a conclusion (yes, still some loose ends but that will be for the next man).

Favourite moment: the Hildebrand Safe House ... still keeping the door open for this title I hope. Oh and my inner voice channelling Austin Powers during the Spectre coven scene.