List of references (POSSIBLE SPOILERS)

MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
edited October 2015 in SPECTRE - Bond 24 (2015)
I thought I'd start this as I'd like to see all the references the film made to previous Bond films/books/games/songs, wether they were intentional by the film makers or not.

Here are a few I got, feel free to add:

Bond talking to a rat - reference to DAF
Safe House named Hildebrand - reference to The Hilebrand Rarity
Song titled 'Writings on the wall' - possible reference to GE
Oberhauser behind bullet proof glass - reference to TWINE
PTS Parade - reference to LALD
Q gets stuck being followed by henchmen - reference to the lift scene in FYEO
009 - reference to OP
1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)

Comments

• Smiert-SpionamSmiert-Spionam Posts: 318MI6 Agent
    The PTS helicopter fight. Reference to FYEO and TLD.
    The fight on the train with Hinx. Reference to FRWL and LALD
    Smiert Spionam
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    edited October 2015
    You might want to add a SPOILER tag to this for Yanks who might not want to know this yet, and think it's safe to click ;) We don't get to see the film until 5 or 6 November, remember.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • DutchfingerDutchfinger Holland With LovePosts: 1,240MI6 Agent
    I think the helicopter barrel roll i defenitely a reference to the infamous TMWTGG barrel roll
    Better known as DutchBondFan on YouTube. My 007 movie reviews: Recapping 007
    YouTube channel Support my channel on Patreon Twitter Facebook fanpage
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    The torture scene is lifted (almost word-for-word) from Colonel Sun.
    Oberhauser senior and Bond's relationship to him ("he was a father to me at a time I really needed one") come from OP- the story, not the film.
    edited October 2015
    Also the SPECTRE room really goes back to TB. Although we of course already knew that from the first teaser. Another one was the research centre on top of the swiss alps. Very Pizz Gloria!

Oh and also, I felt lots of Scenes really went back to DN. Twice when Blofeld spoke and you heared his voice break the silence it felt like the scene when Dr. No's voice is first heared.
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Just a couple off the top of my head...

Bond's beige outfit with brown knitted tie in morocco seems like an homage to Connery's in Goldfinger.

His NATO- strapped watch also references Goldfinger and, when the dial is turned to arm it and the markers change colour, references LALD.

Bond smiling at Hinx through the plane window was a lovely nod to Bond and Naomi in TSWLM ...
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • AngusrRossAngusrRoss ScotlandPosts: 121MI6 Agent
    A few i noticed as well...

Train scene - FRWL
    MI6 at the end seemed a lot like Scaramangas fun house in MWTGG.
    Boat scene at the end - TWINE
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    Madeleine biting her lip and looking behind her as she is driven away by the goons, as Bond bows down on her in a big plane, shades of the GE tank chase.

Bond giving a girl a brush off and taking a walk outside - DAF.

Watch the dickey bird you ... LTK.

Fancy dress parade - TB and MR.

Walk in desert and evening dress - QoS and TSWLM
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    why did they have to keep playing that corny Roger Moore era do doo do dooo all the time ,that got on my bleedin nerves
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,234MI6 Agent
    Both C and Zorin are called Max. Maybe just coincidence though
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    Finally the films confirm that Tanner's first name is Bill, as per Fleming.
    Jarvio wrote:
    Both C and Zorin are called Max. Maybe just coincidence though

I think so. Both Sanchez and Oberhauser are called Franz too. Should just be coincidence if you ask me.
  • HatThrowingHenchmanHatThrowingHenchman Russia With LovePosts: 1,834MI6 Agent
    image.jpg
    "You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"
    A loaded gun is handed over to an opponent as a trust downpayment (Topol in FYEO).

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    A loaded gun is handed over to an opponent as a trust downpayment (Topol in FYEO).

OH yeah! Completely missed that reference!
  • Willard WhyteWillard Whyte Posts: 166MI6 Agent
    It's a mouse not a Rat.

Mountain Top clinic ---OHMSS
    Hinx
    Jaws
    End of SPECTRE
    A bit like the opening of TMWTGG shooting at targets that jump out at you.

etc etc
    I smell a rat
    Speaking of the mouse. Did anyone think at that point that the white cat was going to show up in that scene?
    Not if we haven't had the spoilers, no.

"I came here to kill you'.
    "I thought you came here to die"

Nod to Goldfinger's classic line, acc to Mark Kermode on Film Review.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,965MI6 Agent
    edited November 2015
    I think the helicopter barrel roll [is] defenitely a reference to the infamous TMWTGG barrel roll

Thomas Newman even references John Barry's TMWTGG penny whistle effect for that moment, but he succeeds in making his weird electronic version of it less intrusive/distracting than the original.

It's a mouse not a Rat.

But it's still a rodent. Craig's moment of humour when addressing it - "Who sent you? Who are you working for?" - is certainly a nod to the funny moment in DAF when Connery complains to a rat, "One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief! Sorry, old boy, I'm afraid it's me!" It's the shot of the rodent looking back that secures the reference.

Some others:

As Bond searches Mr White's Austrian retreat, we are startled when some gulls are disturbed and noisily take flight: a tribute to John Glen, for whom a moment like this was his signature motif as a director...

Bond leaving his loaded gun on the chess table for Mr White to pick up, offering a deal, is reminiscent of the moment in FYEO when Columbo returns Bond's gun to him as a sign of trust. The moment evokes that memorable scene in John Glen's film but the stakes are higher here, as Bond is gambling his life on an act of faith in a recurring, proven villain (rather than accepting a pact with the charismatic old rogue set up by Kristatos) and one of them is about to die... Furthermore, Mr White is similar to Columbo in the sense that he claims a marker of moral difference between himself and the movie's principal villain: Columbo leaves the dirty business of heroin smuggling to Kristatos (Columbo is above such business) while Mr White claims that Obenhauser has "gone too far" (with terrorist activities victimising women and children). (Not that it matters, but Mr White's complaint here isn't particularly convincing; presumably the likes of Obanno with whom White himself had dealings at the beginning of CR would have had the blood of plenty of innocents on his hands.)

Madeleine's use of the phrase "a paid assassin" as a criticism of Bond echoes Octopussy.
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
  • Gadget MeisterGadget Meister Bicester, OxonPosts: 1,972MI6 Agent
    Dress laid out on the bed for Madeline Swan - DN
  • ACACIA_AVENUEACACIA_AVENUE UKPosts: 1,774MI6 Agent
    Bonds comment about 'How time flies' could be interpreted as reference to 'We have all the time in the World' ?
    One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief.
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    without sounding cynical... but aren't most of these just coincidences... after all, you can't make 24 Bond films without repeating elements.

I get the most obvious ones, like Hilderbrand...and the line

Nod to Goldfinger's classic line.

But some of these seem really clutching at Bond film straws.... {:)
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • HatThrowingHenchmanHatThrowingHenchman Russia With LovePosts: 1,834MI6 Agent
    Bonds comment about 'How time flies' could be interpreted as reference to 'We have all the time in the World' ?

he makes the exact same comment in Die Another Day.
    "You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"
    Lexi wrote:
    without sounding cynical... but aren't most of these just coincidences... after all, you can't make 24 Bond films without repeating elements.

I think the line 'The Names Bond, James Bond' could be a nod to some of the previous films :D
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Lexi wrote:

I think the line 'The Names Bond, James Bond' could be a nod to some of the previous films :D

:)) :))

Indeed, and rather my point! :D
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony

he makes the exact same comment in Die Another Day.

-{
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,965MI6 Agent
    edited November 2015
    Lexi wrote:

There are three tiers of links to other Bond films, I think:

1) The obvious trademarks which everyone spots, such as "My name's Bond. James Bond."
    2) Specific but less obvious allusions: moments which are entertaining in their own right but which add an extra texture for fans who are aware of the references
    3) Variants of characters and situations which recur coincidentally - simply by virtue of belonging to the same genre (action adventure) and subgenre (Bond), without there being any deliberate 'quotation' of an earlier film.

I think that most if not all of the references mentioned in this thread are knowing and deliberate, i.e. they're in category 2).

I've just added a few more comments to my post earlier in this thread to support the case I've made that there are interesting parallels between SP's Mr White and FYEO's Columbo. I'm pretty sure that the writers, steeped in all the earlier Bonds, will have been aware of how they're reworking earlier material to integrate with their new story.

To give another, more straightforward example: when a thug sits opposite Q in the cable car descending from the clinic it's clear that Q's in danger, but for anyone in the audience who remembers the fate of Campbell (Bernard Horsfall) in OHMSS there's an added sense of jeopardy: the similarity in situation as the thug takes his seat opposite Ben Whishaw is no accident, and fans will feel an extra tingle because we'll remember that Campbell was actually killed off by the Piz Gloria SPECTRE thugs.
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
  • Unknown007Unknown007 Posts: 201MI6 Agent
    Brief mention of Felix Leiter.
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    A few more form my latest viewing:

Bullet holes in the glass when Bond shoots at Oberhauser - similar to the bullet holes in OHMSS
    "Goodbye, James Bond" - similar to Blofeld's "Goodbye, Mr Bond" in YOLT
    Blofeld gives Bond 3 minutes to get out the Mi6 building - 3 minutes in GE
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
  • Vicsane007Vicsane007 Posts: 167MI6 Agent
    Felix
    "Some men are coming to kill us. We're going to kill them first."