The Sam Smith Appreciation Thread

Absolutely_CartAbsolutely_Cart NJ/NYC, United StatesPosts: 1,740MI6 Agent
WoTW is criminally underrated. A truly progressive song. Years from now, I think people will scratch their heads as to why it was so polarizing to begin with

When was the last time we've had a rich soulful R&B song? License to Kill or For Your Eyes Only maybe?

TWINE was triphop. DAD was electronic. CR was rock. AWTD was rap/rock. Skyfall was sort of a radio pop ballad.

Sam Smitg can sing and convey just the right emotion for the song. I loved it the second I heard it.

Comments

• HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    ug54983,1253654679,tumbleweed2.gif
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent
    Never one to shy from poking my head out above the parapet..

I've said pretty much from the start that it grew on me after a week and now I like it and it sits very well with the film as a whole. {[]
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I too loved the song, and hearing it merged with the film titles was amazing
    Almost a short arthouse movie in its own right. :)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Absolutely_CartAbsolutely_Cart NJ/NYC, United StatesPosts: 1,740MI6 Agent
  • Not a Sam Smith fan.

Think they can do way better. The song is always big and sets the tone.

I think they sold out heavily with Adele the previous film. And now Sam Smith (whom I personally do not like).

Feels like the 007 is trying to please the masses by picking popular songs that aren't really that good.

Next 007 film probably will have a One Direction song or maybe a Spice Girls comeback.

Why not use a propper song that would fit perfectly like - https://soundcloud.com/kareem-amgad/muse-supremacy-1

Muse is one of the best bands that Britain has ever produced, yet no 007 track for them.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,420Chief of Staff
    Why not use a propper song that would fit perfectly like....Muse is one of the best bands that Britain has ever produced, yet no 007 track for them.

Nah, Muse are awful...can't understand a word they say and musically they are a mess X-(

...but welcome AJB -{
    YNWA 97
  • cheldcheld Posts: 300MI6 Agent
    When was the last time we've had a rich soulful R&B song?

You do know what the R in R&B stands for, correct?
  • writingsonthewallwritingsonthewall SpainPosts: 417MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Why not use a propper song that would fit perfectly like....Muse is one of the best bands that Britain has ever produced, yet no 007 track for them.

Nah, Muse are awful...can't understand a word they say and musically they are a mess X-(

...but welcome AJB -{

Not much of a Muse fan either, but they DID do their Bond take with "Supremacy", the opening song for their The 2nd Law album.

As far as SS goes, liking his debut album, I think the Spectre song could have been a tad better, but will wait till I hear it in context with the titles come this Friday (us poor non-brits need to wait 2 extra weeks!).
    "Enjoy it while it lasts."
    "The very words I live by."
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    cheld wrote:
    When was the last time we've had a rich soulful R&B song?

You do know what the R in R&B stands for, correct?

Welshboy already called him out on this here: http://www.ajb007.co.uk/post/769192/#p769192
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • JagJag Posts: 1,167MI6 Agent
    Sam Smith has had a few great songs, this one is just not one of them. I hated it when it first came out, but got to like it when the video was released. I don’t think it will get any better. Skyfall was a great song, but before then there was nothing interesting since TWINE.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Having seen the movie yesterday - I have not decided what pains more - the torture scene or listening to the song :#
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:

...but welcome AJB -{

I think that they could pull off an epic overblown theme, a modern LALD if given the chance. For a female voice I'd love to see what Goldfrapp could do...their first album has a couple of icy ballads that would be great.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,420Chief of Staff
    ^ I've advocated for Goldfrapp for many years - alas, I think their time has passed...they aren't well known enough...now I'd love to see Florence + The Machine given the gig...Muse are just a 'noise' for me I'm afraid...
    YNWA 97
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 SwitzerlandPosts: 870MI6 Agent
    WOTW has gone up to No 2 again in the Swiss charts and would be number one easily if you look at the numbers of units sold, BUT Adele's Hello is selling insane amounts of records...

Anyway, I always knew WOTW will be successful and it is. -{
    Dalton Rulez™
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    The song has really grown on me, I really disliked it at first but unlike most other songs the more I hear it the more I love it (kinda like the film overall!)
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    I really like it, I think it's a solid song.

I've never got into Adele's song, partly because I don't find it very original.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    Writing's On The Wall nominated for Best Original Song at the Golden Globe awards.

James Bond on Twitter.
    https://twitter.com/007/status/675015411453308929
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    {[] Congratulations, I hope Sam wins. -{ ( I at least like it) :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Moore Than wrote:
    Writing's On The Wall nominated for Best Original Song at the Golden Globe awards.

James Bond on Twitter.
    https://twitter.com/007/status/675015411453308929

Interesting. It's the only song I've heard of the nominees, and I'm guessing that none of the other songs are any better.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,646MI6 Agent
    {[] Congratulations, I hope Sam wins. -{ ( I at least like it) :D

Me too. Well done Sam! :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).