26

Re: So it did copy Austin Powers... (SPOILERS)

caractacus potts wrote:
Matt S wrote:
caractacus potts wrote:

one of my favourites is the idea that while Dr Evil was away, Number 2 turned the Evil organisations front companies into hugely successful legit companies, turns out he's got a natural talent for business

This was used in the Get Smart episode "The Amazing Harry Hoo". The henchman says of their dry cleaning front, "The spy network is just a front. The real money is in the laundry."

well, the joke about "other peoples cooking" is still original, right? right? I', so disillusioned
speaking of Get Smart, that's a 60s sitcom that has aged very well

I can't speak for the cooking joke. Get Smart will always be the ultimate spy spoof, and like Austin Powers they parodied things other than Bond.

27

Re: So it did copy Austin Powers... (SPOILERS)

Higgins wrote:

Let's stay with the facts:

1. Hans Oberhauser was a FATHER FIGURE for Bond. He did not adopt him or was his real father.
Franz is Oberhauser's blood son and the jealous rival to Bond  but not his brother.

2. Austin Powers and Dr. Evil are twins and have been separated as babies. So they are really brothers!

My point was, that EON basically took Fleming's picture of the father figure and constructed an angry jealous son (Franz) who  felt that Bond took his father's attention from him

Your point is that EON have copied the Austin Powers concept by taking over the brother concept from there.
Which is not the case, because Franz Oberhauser and Bond are NOT BROTHERS!

Eon have been sticking with Fleming and expanded the story.

And btw, I love all Austin Powers movies, there has never been a deeper bow to the 007 franchise imo.

Cheers Higgins  ajb007/martini Very good comment.

MI6Community: DoubleOGeauss
YouTube: DutchJamesBondFan

28

Re: So it did copy Austin Powers... (SPOILERS)

I loved all three AP films---in fact, the more they reached for laughs, the more I laughed along...but I think it's safe to assume that there were no SP script meetings where it was said: "Let's do what Austin Powers did."  ajb007/rolleyes 

Franz Oberhauser was a construct borne of the Fleming Oberhauser character, Hannes. I don't think the dysfunctional foster family angle was necessary, but neither do I think Eon ripped off a Bond parody. I mean, honestly...

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

29

Re: So it did copy Austin Powers... (SPOILERS)

Actually, I'm going to request that this thread be locked (if the admins agree with me on this).  But I think the thread I already made about Franz' character motivations is a more mature way to discuss the foster-brother relationship.

Last edited by Absolutely_Cart (8th Nov 2015 19:39)

30

Re: So it did copy Austin Powers... (SPOILERS)

An extraneous thread? I don't believe it.

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

31

Re: So it did copy Austin Powers... (SPOILERS)

Well, you're the OP, Cart, so if you want it closed I'll do so- but IMHO this is a valid topic with enough interest to keep it open. Just send a PM  to discuss it.

32

Re: So it did copy Austin Powers... (SPOILERS)

I'd leave this thread open - sooner or later someone else will pop up with that kind of theory again  ajb007/rolleyes

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

33

Re: So it did copy Austin Powers... (SPOILERS)

I find these theories rather amusing:
Skyfall was called a copy of Home Alone
now Spectre is being called a copy of Austin Powers

now I'm really tempted to start a thread named: "name the movie each Bond is a copy of"  ajb007/shifty

"You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"

34

Re: So it did copy Austin Powers... (SPOILERS)

oh, that sounds like fun  ajb007/biggrin

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

35

Re: So it did copy Austin Powers... (SPOILERS)

What a brilliant Idea  ajb007/cheers

Then we can discuss the pros and cons of the copy against the Bond film, rank the copies against the Bond films, compare the actors, soundtrack, audience figures, what people ate in the cinema, what day they went to see it, who they saw it with.

This should keep us going till Bond 25  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers ................... which will be a copy of ? any suggestions ?

One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief.

36

Re: So it did copy Austin Powers... (SPOILERS)

I have things in my trainer closet that would keep us busy until Bond 26  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol

Last edited by Higgins (9th Nov 2015 08:50)

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

37

Re: So it did copy Austin Powers... (SPOILERS)

ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol

One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief.

38

Re: So it did copy Austin Powers... (SPOILERS)

Higgins wrote:

I have things in my trainer closet that would keep us busy until Bond 26  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol


... and Sir Miles until B28  ajb007/biggrin

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

39

Re: So it did copy Austin Powers... (SPOILERS)

ACACIA_AVENUE wrote:

Then we can discuss the pros and cons of the copy against the Bond film, rank the copies against the Bond films, compare the actors, soundtrack, audience figures, what people ate in the cinema, what day they went to see it, who they saw it with.

Don't give me ideas.

HatThrowingHenchman wrote:

I find these theories rather amusing:
Skyfall was called a copy of Home Alone
now Spectre is being called a copy of Austin Powers

now I'm really tempted to start a thread named: "name the movie each Bond is a copy of"  ajb007/shifty

A part of Skyfall was inspired by a part in Home Alone.  But making Blofeld's entire origin story really similar Dr. Evil's origins (as well as in following the pretentious pseudo-psychobabble trend in Hollywood) is another thing.

40

Re: So it did copy Austin Powers... (SPOILERS)

Was home alone inspired by Straw dogs ?   ajb007/lol

"Let his death be a particularly unpleasant and humiliating one."

41

Re: So it did copy Austin Powers... (SPOILERS)

Higgins wrote:
Higgins wrote:

I have things in my trainer closet that would keep us busy until Bond 26  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol


... and Sir Miles until B28  ajb007/biggrin

ajb007/amazed

YNWA: Justice For The 96

The Joy Of 6

42

Re: So it did copy Austin Powers... (SPOILERS)

so maybe the producers never had a meeting where they discussed maybe adapting unused Fleming source material, but decided to rip off Austin Powers instead...
but how were they not aware that Goldmember already existed with a near enough identical plottwist, and the comparison would be made by any and everybody watching it?
in the 1990s Mike Meyers was making better James Bond type movies than was Pierce Brosnan, most James Bond fans would be familiar, but not the producers?

btw what is the Home Alone similarity? I'm a huge Catharine O'Hara fan but have somehow never seen those movies

43

Re: So it did copy Austin Powers... (SPOILERS)

caractacus potts wrote:

but how were they not aware that Goldmember already existed with a near enough identical plottwist, and the comparison would be made by any and everybody watching it?

Exactly.  Also, for that matter, how were they not aware that everyone basically knew Franz was Blofeld?  How were they not aware we already knew the plot twist of them being brothers?

caractacus potts wrote:

in the 1990s Mike Meyers was making better James Bond type movies than was Pierce Brosnan, most James Bond fans would be familiar, but not the producers?

Exactly.  Some are shocked that I was an Austin Powers fan before I was even a Bond fan.  I was born in '91.  When I was growing up, James Bond's competition to Austin Powers was Die Another Day.

caractacus potts wrote:

btw what is the Home Alone similarity? I'm a huge Catharine O'Hara fan but have somehow never seen those movies

In one scene, the boy (who is home alone) anticipates robbers coming and sets up the house with dozens of traps.  Skyfall does use this.  However, copying a core plot idea is a worse offense than copying an action scene.  Moreover, it's more embarassing for James Bond to copy a James Bond parody than anything.

44

Re: So it did copy Austin Powers... (SPOILERS)

I don't think "copy" is the right expression. just because they have something similar, it doesn't mean they stole the idea. It fitts in Bond's story, so I don't see why it shouldn't have been used?!

"You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"

45

Re: So it did copy Austin Powers... (SPOILERS)

I think it's unfair to say the idea Home Alone had was original anyway. Nancy does the exact same thing - setting traps in her home - in Nightmare On Elm Street.

1.LTK  2.AVTAK  3.OP  4.FYEO  5.TND  6.LALD  7.GE  8.GF  9.TSWLM  10.SPECTRE  11.SF  12.MR 13.YOLT  14.TLD  15.CR (06)  16.TMWTGG  17.TB  18.FRWL  19.TWINE  20.OHMSS  21.DAF  22.DAD  23.QoS  24.NSNA  25.DN  26.CR (67)

46

Re: So it did copy Austin Powers... (SPOILERS)

HatThrowingHenchman wrote:

I don't think "copy" is the right expression. just because they have something similar, it doesn't mean they stole the idea. It fitts in Bond's story, so I don't see why it shouldn't have been used?!

Except the Dr. Evil thing doesn't fit with Bond.  It was just shoehorned into the whole psuedo-psychobabble trend of superheroes being fueled by events that happened to them as a child.  Batman, for example, being an orphan makes sense.  But if you told me was also The Joker's foster brother, I wouldn't take it seriously.

47

Re: So it did copy Austin Powers... (SPOILERS)

Absolutely_Cart wrote:
HatThrowingHenchman wrote:

I don't think "copy" is the right expression. just because they have something similar, it doesn't mean they stole the idea. It fitts in Bond's story, so I don't see why it shouldn't have been used?!

Except the Dr. Evil thing doesn't fit with Bond.  It was just shoehorned into the whole psuedo-psychobabble trend of superheroes being fueled by events that happened to them as a child.  Batman, for example, being an orphan makes sense.  But if you told me was also The Joker's foster brother, I wouldn't take it seriously.

you're right here, I'm not keen on this connection with the hero,too. But in SP it was so subtle, I hardly noticed it

"You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"

48

Re: So it did copy Austin Powers... (SPOILERS)

How about an alternative hypothesis:

Spectre does not copy Austin Powers. It's a spoof on Austin Powers!

Does it make sense now?  ajb007/lol

49

Re: So it did copy Austin Powers... (SPOILERS)

ajb007/lol  ajb007/cheers  suddenly  everything becomes clear.

"Let his death be a particularly unpleasant and humiliating one."

50

Re: So it did copy Austin Powers... (SPOILERS)

Does anyone remember when Daniel Craig said, "We had to destroy the myth because Mike Myers Freddie Uncle Charlie Katie us - I am a huge Mike Myers fan, so don't get me wrong - but he kind of Freddie Uncle Charlie Katie us; made it impossible to do the gags."

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Why-Jame … 68491.html

Then Spectre went ahead to do all these things that Austin Powers parodied from Bond, like Blofeld and his cat. For people like me born in the 1980s, or 1990s, if you say "bald man with a facial scar and a cat" they will think of Dr. Evil rather than Blofeld. That was one of the big things that Austin Powers messed up for Bond. Spectre brought back the scar and the cat, but not the baldness. Craig must have known this, and the increased humour in Spectre, when he talked about how Mike Myers ruined things for Bond.