Tributes

down2000down2000 Santa Monica, CAPosts: 75MI6 Agent
Maybe I am over-thinking this but were there intentional tributes to previous (non-Craig) Bond Films in SPECTRE? For example, this is a reboot, so the scarred eye didn't have to be used, a tribute to YOLT? The helicopter scene in the opening...FYEO? The mountain top clinic...OHMSS? What is the general thought on this?

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    down2000 wrote:
    Maybe I am over-thinking this but were there intentional tributes to previous (non-Craig) Bond Films in SPECTRE? For example, this is a reboot, so the scarred eye didn't have to be used, a tribute to YOLT? The helicopter scene in the opening...FYEO? The mountain top clinic...OHMSS? What is the general thought on this?
    I loved it all, it was Bond-candy to the long time fans like me.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    A few reviews have likened his delivery in SPECTRE to that of Roger Moore's, which I think is a compliment; that element has allowed DC to enjoy himself as Bond, which I think is definitely a throwback to the well-defined character of Bond of the earlier movies. As far as homages, I can't wait for more viewings but the ones that come to mind is how the score sometimes sound like it's about to go into the melodic strains of the TWINE theme song. What I couldn't believe seeing was the homage to John Glens and the birds that darted out of nowhere to startle Bond. Overall, I hope there weren't too much other homages and maybe that's why I don't remember them, because otherwise including them would have been too strained like those in DAD.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    superado wrote:
    A few reviews have likened his delivery in SPECTRE to that of Roger Moore's, which I think is a compliment; that element has allowed DC to enjoy himself as Bond, which I think is definitely a throwback to the well-defined character of Bond of the earlier movies. As far as homages, I can't wait for more viewings but the ones that come to mind is how the score sometimes sound like it's about to go into the melodic strains of the TWINE theme song. What I couldn't believe seeing was the homage to John Glens and the birds that darted out of nowhere to startle Bond. Overall, I hope there weren't too much other homages and maybe that's why I don't remember them, because otherwise including them would have been too strained like those in DAD.

I really enjoyed Craig's performance in SP (though I think all of his are quite good!)...and I don't at all mind the slightly lighter tone taken, as I frankly think this Bond has earned a bit of a more traditional romp of an adventure.

A friend of mine said that SP is like a 'greatest hits' album, and I think he has a point---it certainly works on that level, and is an enjoyable and rewarding experience for Bond fans. However, going forward, Eon should try to wean itself off the self-derivative habits it has picked up of late, IMO. We've now had the celebration of Bond, and the plumbing of his family tragedy. Now that all of the pieces are in place, and all of the characters accounted for, perhaps we should see about making new footprints instead of staying within old ones.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,279Chief of Staff
    As Higgins says, there's already a thread on this: http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/46693/list-of-references-possible-spoilers/ so please continue there and I'll close this one.
This discussion has been closed.